How good is Monta Ellis really?

And to say that only the top 20 players in the league are "top players" is kinda dumb.  So some of the players on the all star team arent top players?  OK.  
The whole "top player" thing is a matter of semantics at this point and it's probably not even worth arguing about, but when I said 20 that was like... at most. I'd probably narrow it down even more to the top 10 or 15. When I think of a top player in the league, I think of the elite. I'm not sure how there can be more than 20 guys in the league who are all considered one of the "top players," but whatever.

You can downplay try to downplay his stats because of the system he plays in, but system or not, you dont average more points per game than Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Dirk Nowitzki if you arent a top player.
He plays on the third fastest-paced offense in the league. Faster pace = more opportunities per game to score points (given the same minutes to play per game of course).

YES alot of the points he scores per game is system driven. That's why points per game is among the least informative stats to use in basketball.

His defense is poor, but lets be honest, so is 80% of the leagues.
Got proof for this?

You can downplay try to downplay his stats because of the system he plays in, but system or not, you dont average more points per game than Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Dirk Nowitzki if you arent a top player.
He plays on the third fastest-paced offense in the league. Faster pace = more opportunities per game to score points (given the same minutes to play per game of course).

YES alot of the points he scores per game is system driven. That's why points per game is among the least informative stats to use in basketball.

His defense is poor, but lets be honest, so is 80% of the leagues.
Got proof for this?

He scores most of his points in the first half from the games that I have seen then fizzles out in the second half. Once he develops that killer instinct and is able to hit those clutch shots when it matters. Then he will be great, oh and also once the warriors learn how to play defense in the forth quarter I expect this team to be in the playoffs.

He scores most of his points in the first half from the games that I have seen then fizzles out in the second half. Once he develops that killer instinct and is able to hit those clutch shots when it matters. Then he will be great, oh and also once the warriors learn how to play defense in the forth quarter I expect this team to be in the playoffs.

I was one to talk about his horrible defense, but he has taken big steps in that area. When his mind is right, he can be a pretty good defender. Top 20 player? Maybe not, but he's definitely one of the best scorers in the league. And are we really going to bring up the record of his team? Are you guys even looking at the talent he has around him? Are we forgetting that he won most improved player on a playoff team? Put talent around him and he can be good. I'm not saying he's a 1st or maybe even a 2nd option cause he's not, but he'll put up numbers on a good team.

I was one to talk about his horrible defense, but he has taken big steps in that area. When his mind is right, he can be a pretty good defender. Top 20 player? Maybe not, but he's definitely one of the best scorers in the league. And are we really going to bring up the record of his team? Are you guys even looking at the talent he has around him? Are we forgetting that he won most improved player on a playoff team? Put talent around him and he can be good. I'm not saying he's a 1st or maybe even a 2nd option cause he's not, but he'll put up numbers on a good team.

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

Turn on your television.
If I did that, I'd see plenty of teams playing defense (Heat, Bulls, Celtics, Hornets, Spurs, Bucks, Magic). Even the Lakers, Mavs, Blazers, Hawks and Grizzles have played good defense. That's 40% of the league bringing it on D.

Just because the Warriors (and Ellis) suck on defense doesn't mean that "80% of the league" also does.

Turn on your television.
If I did that, I'd see plenty of teams playing defense (Heat, Bulls, Celtics, Hornets, Spurs, Bucks, Magic). Even the Lakers, Mavs, Blazers, Hawks and Grizzles have played good defense. That's 40% of the league bringing it on D.

Just because the Warriors (and Ellis) suck on defense doesn't mean that "80% of the league" also does.

Originally Posted by acidicality

80% of you have never seen more than one Warriors game this season.
I hope this isn't to suggest your team has played good defense this season.

Still, his numbers are inflated by pace, and the fact that he leads the league in minutes per. Also, he plays atrocious defense, but that seems to be a staple of Warrior basketball.
All of this.

Originally Posted by acidicality

80% of you have never seen more than one Warriors game this season.
I hope this isn't to suggest your team has played good defense this season.

Still, his numbers are inflated by pace, and the fact that he leads the league in minutes per. Also, he plays atrocious defense, but that seems to be a staple of Warrior basketball.
All of this.

Fringe all-star at best. He's a decent scorer, and has improved this season from last. Given, that's not saying much, considering the Warriors were around 11 points per 100 possessions better without him on the floor last season.
laugh.gif

Still, his numbers are inflated by pace, and the fact that he leads the league in minutes per. Also, he plays atrocious defense, as evidenced by his differential last season, but that seems to be a staple of Warrior basketball.

Fringe all-star at best. He's a decent scorer, and has improved this season from last. Given, that's not saying much, considering the Warriors were around 11 points per 100 possessions better without him on the floor last season.
laugh.gif

Still, his numbers are inflated by pace, and the fact that he leads the league in minutes per. Also, he plays atrocious defense, as evidenced by his differential last season, but that seems to be a staple of Warrior basketball.

He might be the best all-around scorer in the league right now. His midrange is #+!%+%+ MONEY at all times, he's really worked on that. On top of that he's one of the most explosive players in the league. The only problem is that half his team is so garbage or average that as the team leader he needs to work them in and give them more confidence. A lot of the times you can see Monta is basically like "%@%@ this gimme the rock," and then his teammates will just stand around and watch him.

He might be the best all-around scorer in the league right now. His midrange is #+!%+%+ MONEY at all times, he's really worked on that. On top of that he's one of the most explosive players in the league. The only problem is that half his team is so garbage or average that as the team leader he needs to work them in and give them more confidence. A lot of the times you can see Monta is basically like "%@%@ this gimme the rock," and then his teammates will just stand around and watch him.

It would be hilarious to see him play on a halfcourt team.
Got proof for this?
Turn on your television.

In 2007 their half court set was basically a high pick and roll ending with a top of the key jumper. That was damn near automatic for him. Then when they were mismatched they'd free hin off the ball with picks and he'd get a nice 15-18 foot jumper.He's playing this year like most, if not all of us, expected for the year he broke his foot.I'm easily one Monta's bigger critics, but even I think he could succeed within a half court set because he's shown he can. He's not a 1 dimensional scorer who only gets points at the rim.

It would be hilarious to see him play on a halfcourt team.
Got proof for this?
Turn on your television.

In 2007 their half court set was basically a high pick and roll ending with a top of the key jumper. That was damn near automatic for him. Then when they were mismatched they'd free hin off the ball with picks and he'd get a nice 15-18 foot jumper.He's playing this year like most, if not all of us, expected for the year he broke his foot.I'm easily one Monta's bigger critics, but even I think he could succeed within a half court set because he's shown he can. He's not a 1 dimensional scorer who only gets points at the rim.

Back
Top Bottom