How do you non-tippers handle gratuity or eating w/ a large group?

Son is not as easy as you want to paint it...you are generalizing under the idea that all waiters/waitresses fall under the same umbrella as the ones working in your local diner. Walk into Nobu and see if your waiter is an 11 year old kid...jobs like these in high quality establishments take ALOT of patience and people's skills...dealing with people in this type of environment takes a lot...specially when these people come in expecting top tier service.
but those arent intellectual traits moreso as emotional ones... its like being a single parent... it doesnt take more intelligence as oppose to having two parents... but a single parent job does demand more, emotionally, is more stressful etc... and thats the point we are saying. The task or difficulty of the job doesnt change dramatically based on the atmosphere or how much the establishment charges, or how highly regarded it is seen. That again using the parenting example would be like saying it takes more intelligence to be a well known celebrity single parent then just an average one on the street.

How much a place charges for a sweet tea or how nice the glass the beverages are being serve have no bearings/changes the degree of difficulty of pouring the beverage into the glass. The volume/size while does play a small part difference in terms of intellect (really it has more to do with memory... as in memorizing the different orders etc...) still doesnt sway that much in terms of degree of difficulty in reference to the job at hand. basically its like you guys are saying the more established/prestigious the restaurant, the higher the intelligence/degree of difficulty it takes to work there. Its like basically saying someone who is a hostess at ruth chris is smarter then a hostess at lets say chillis... I would agree with this statement if you said in reference to lets say cooks and said a cook at charlies trotters job is more difficult/takes a higher degree of skill etc... then a cook at mckie dees. because of the foods served.

And as far as 5 star restaurants and its workers in terms of servers/waiters etc... they arent hiring based on intellect, its moreso on image, looks and society preconcieved notions of elegance, as well as what there target demographic prefer them to look like. Cause lets be honest, some around the way minority chick etc... regardless of experience etc... is most likely then not, getting the greeter job over a bubbly big breasted hot tanned white chick at a 5 star restaurant which demographic is upper class whites. I mean lets just tell it for what it is.

No one well atleast im not saying these jobs dont play or have an emotional/physical toll on its workers, nor am i saying we could replace them with service pets lol etc... but emotional/psychological traits and intellect/skill arent synonyms with one another... and alot of ppl are saying that they are.

But jobs in that deal with the mathematics, physics, chemistry, engineering... are based on intellect, are difficult and do require a degree of skill. And feelings, social skills, amount of coping skills etc... really have nothing to do with them... All those traits you listed while are great traits and are generally helpful dealing with everyday life... a warm personality, patience, even tempered, friendliness, and like ability, but average intellect or stupid and it would be more difficult for them to be iuno network engineer, then a person with above average intellect.

In other words to revert to my example and add some clarity to what im saying... you can take a average/slightly below average intelligent person and a genius and its conceivable that the avg.. below avg intelligent person could be a better parent then the genius... because just like the service industry it has more to do with emotional traits, rather then intellect, and comprehension. However the same cant be said if you took a genius and a avg/below avg person, and asked who would make a better geoscientist.

As much as i didnt know you should be tipping housekeeping at hotels, im SHOCKED at how many people dont tip cab drivers.
Ive only ever not tipped a cabbie like twice, cause they were jerks on top of being super late on the pickup. I usually tip way too heavy when im drunk leaving the bar too. Ive been know to strike up drunk convos with sikh drivers about beards and then tip like 50%.
What kind of cabs are yall taking?

We might be having two different ideas of what kind of cab and what cab service actually is.

We might be having two different ideas of what kind of cab and what cab service actually is.

A cab. A taxi. I call them to pick me up and take me to the bar, then i get loaded, and call another one to come pick me up and take me home.

Also airport drop offs sometimes.

How many kinds of cabs are there? Im in Seattle so most of them are Prius' and Crown Vics. Its not like im calling a towncar/limo service. Are those not the kinds of cabs you have where you live?

A cab. A taxi. I call them to pick me up and take me to the bar, then i get loaded, and call another one to come pick me up and take me home.
How many kinds of cabs are there? Im in Seattle so most of them are Prius' and Crown Vics. Its not like im calling a towncar/limo service. Are those not the kinds of cabs you have where you live?
you could have those gypsy cabs... them cats who are usually illegal immigrants, who save up just enough to buy some clunker at the local public auction, slap some checkered stickers on the side... a flag with their home country... and pretty much make up charge however/whatever they want based on a myriad of reasons.

but i tip based on service, as it should be

Exactly.

The tip should be based on the kind on service, not just because of the service. That's what the tip used to be for. I'm sorry, but just doing your normal job doesn't constitute a bonus. Especially when it's lazy or bad service.

If you get great service, you should definitely tip, but this unwarranted sense of entitlement just because someone is a server is ridiculous.

I waited tables for a long time. I tip pretty good unless the service is extremely horrible. Obviously if I see the waiter super slammed I cut them some slack

Didn't read what you guys are arguing a out and s
don't care. If you have hourly rate limos go with them. As long as you have a few heads its about 7 dollars a person and you can take sips, bud and brew. Limo if you roll deep. Hourly. Cab for a min of 5 head's.

Like a lot of you said I only tip if the service was excellent. Whenever I don't tip it's because of the wack service I was given!

I think the only time I believe gratuity to be a complete rip off is when doing bottle service in a club, not only are you paying 600$ for an 80$ bottle of liquor, but on top of that you are forced to pay about 100$ in gratuity....like are you ******g serious?!

not only do they tend to skimp out on tip, but also tax. they go "oh, well my entree was $11. here's $11." :smh:

Those are the kinds of people I'd never hang out with, it's just lack of respect for everyone else involved if you don't have the decency to chip in.

Dude's want to split checks so they won't have to tip their own bill either. :lol:

Large groups gratuity should always be added and I'm glad.

This is sort of a spin off of the thread, but how do you guys deal with those guys in the bathrooms at some clubs/bars that be asking for tips?

I mean after I piss I just want to wash my hands and I know how to do that myself, but they insist on turning on the sink for you, giving you soap and pulling out paper towels to dry yourself with. I've never asked for anything like that nor would even want them to do it for me so it's tough to justify tipping them for that

This is sort of a spin off of the thread, but how do you guys deal with those guys in the bathrooms at some clubs/bars that be asking for tips?

I mean after I piss I just want to wash my hands and I know how to do that myself, but they insist on turning on the sink for you, giving you soap and pulling out paper towels to dry yourself with. I've never asked for anything like that nor would even want them to do it for me so it's tough to justify tipping them for that
I don't tip. I tell them no thank you and wash my own hands.
As much as i didnt know you should be tipping housekeeping at hotels, im SHOCKED at how many people dont tip cab drivers.

Ive only ever not tipped a cabbie like twice, cause they were jerks on top of being super late on the pickup. I usually tip way too heavy when im drunk leaving the bar too. Ive been know to strike up drunk convos with sikh drivers about beards and then tip like 50%.
Why would you be shocked? Cab fare is expensive especially in cities with poor public transportation. Tipping for a limo too? You guys just have a ton of extra cash laying around. Paypal me some. Limos aren't cheap. That fee is covering everything.

Last edited:

Why would you be shocked? Cab fare is expensive especially in cities with poor public transportation. Tipping for a limo too? You guys just have a ton of extra cash laying around. Paypal me some. Limos aren't cheap. That fee is covering everything.
where are you going in a cab that costs you more then a 5 star restaurant...? plus why not why tip a waiter and not a barber? why tip a server and not a cab driver, a bartender and not the guy who loads things in your car? Like what logical explanation is there to explain why one gets preferential treatment over another... Like ppl say its cheap to not tip at a restuarant, etc.... because of the so called demanding work.... yet dont a lot attendant/delivery man who carries/delivers large/heavy objects all day. Are ppl really saying busting a table is a more physical demanding task then lifting furniture, appliances etc to ppl cars and or homes? And why not barbers? If its all about quality of service etc...i would think ppl care more about a good haircut over how nice a server was, or how efficient they were. What about the ups/fed ex person? Is friendliness in a restuarant more important, then lets say a valuable package?

I DON'T TIP THOSE GUYS BUT I DON'T LET THEM DO ALL THAT FOR ME ANYWAY, IT FEELS WEIRD TO LET A MAN DO THAT FOR ME. I THINK IT'S ACTUALLY RUDE THAT THEY ARE THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE. I'M TRYING TO TAKE A PISS AND GET BACK TO THE YAMBS. LEAVE ME ALONE :stoneface: .

where are you going in a cab that costs you more then a 5 star restaurant...? plus why not why tip a waiter and not a barber? why tip a server and not a cab driver, a bartender and not the guy who loads things in your car? Like what logical explanation is there to explain why one gets preferential treatment over another... Like ppl say its cheap to not tip at a restuarant, etc.... because of the so called demanding work.... yet dont a lot attendant/delivery man who carries/delivers large/heavy objects all day. Are ppl really saying busting a table is a more physical demanding task then lifting furniture, appliances etc to ppl cars and or homes? And why not barbers? If its all about quality of service etc...i would think ppl care more about a good haircut over how nice a server was, or how efficient they were. What about the ups/fed ex person? Is friendliness in a restuarant more important, then lets say a valuable package?

THE TIP GAME IS ALL ****ED UP. IT'S IRONIC THAT SOME PEOPLE WHO ARGUE SO HARD FOR TIPPING WAITERS DON'T EVEN TIP OTHER PEOPLE WHO SUPPOSEDLY SHOULD BE TIPPED. I.E. BARBERS, CAB DRIVER, MAILMAN, HOUSEKEEPER, ETC.

WHERE IN THE HELL ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DRAW THE LINE?

I don't tip those guys unless I grab some gum or cologne from them.

I usually hit them with the, "I got you on the next one," and proceed to walk out.

I DON'T TIP THOSE GUYS BUT I DON'T LET THEM DO ALL THAT FOR ME ANYWAY, IT FEELS WEIRD TO LET A MAN DO THAT FOR ME. I THINK IT'S ACTUALLY RUDE THAT THEY ARE THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE. I'M TRYING TO TAKE A PISS AND GET BACK TO THE YAMBS. LEAVE ME ALONE :stoneface: .
THE TIP GAME IS ALL ****ED UP. IT'S IRONIC THAT SOME PEOPLE WHO ARGUE SO HARD FOR TIPPING WAITERS DON'T EVEN TIP OTHER PEOPLE WHO SUPPOSEDLY SHOULD BE TIPPED. I.E. BARBERS, CAB DRIVER, MAILMAN, HOUSEKEEPER, ETC.
WHERE IN THE HELL ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO DRAW THE LINE?

I tip my barber. cab drivers do not need a ******g tip. they aren't a business of service where they can drop me off any better or worse.

I HATE THOSE BATHROOM ATTENDANTS. I ignore them most of the time, tell them i'm good, but if im drunk sometimes i throw em a dollar but best believe im throwing on some cologne a few starbursts, and scooping some lotion to make sure my skins on point. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom