How do you non-tippers handle gratuity or eating w/ a large group?

I'M NOT GONNA LIE, THOSE CHEFS THAT COOK YOUR MEAL AT A PLACE LIKE BENIHANA HAVE SKILLS FOR SURE.

BUT I GUESS I'M AGREEING WITH HIS ARGUMENT. BEING A CHEF ACTUALLY REQUIRES YEARS OF WORK AND SCHOOLING WHILE BEING A HOST/SERVER DOES NOT.

In local diners and chains like Applebee's and TGIF's I seriously go based off the service i got, I've literally walked out of these places and not tipped and felt good about it, because my waiter was simply a piece of ****....when I've gone to a much fancier restaurant where you spend on average 120$ per person, I've left tips of even 50$ according to how much I spent and the type of service received which had always been outstanding...I mean these are places where the damb chef might even visit your table and greet you or bring you dessert himself...you would look pretty foolish penny pinchin on a tip.

I'M NOT GONNA LIE, THOSE CHEFS THAT COOK YOUR MEAL AT A PLACE LIKE BENIHANA HAVE SKILLS FOR SURE.
BUT I GUESS I'M AGREEING WITH HIS ARGUMENT. BEING A CHEF ACTUALLY REQUIRES YEARS OF WORK AND SCHOOLING WHILE BEING A HOST/SERVER DOES NOT.

We can't really judge on the level of complexity it takes a server to bring you a plate of food, becuse technically all it takes is some training to do that...what you base it off, is the charisma, how pleasurable he/she makes your date, the speed, how attentive the server is, these are things that are not taught in a classroom, simply social skills, that sometimes you wish your own doctor could have....at the end of the day, you had a good experience, good service, what is it to you to tip them?...specially when a lot of these people are really making more off tips than what they collect in minimum wage...pretty much every customer is a manager evaluating their performance and determining if they deserve a raise.

Ive never tipped a hotel housekeeper before. I realize i should now, but i just never have.

My wife does it and i thought she was just being extra nice. I really didnt think it was the norm, and/or expected.

NT has made me a better person today.
I usually don't honestly... And I'm a Manager at a Hilton...

I did in Jamaica though on my Honeymoon... Our Housekeeper was making some awesome arrangements with the towels on the bed and putting rose petals and stuff on there every day for a week.
pimp.gif
Left her a $50 on the way out.

LATELY IT SEEMS LIKE THE SERVICE AT THESE CHAIN RESTAURANTS HAS SUCKED. (please correct my grammar.. it doesn't sound right)

Where to start? Went to Chilli's about 3 months ago with a friend and got the most unappreciative waiter. It's funny because when he did try to sound appreciative it didn't seem genuine. Plus this dude could not keep eye contact with us, when he was taking our order he was staring at the wall!! I was kind enough to leave him a 5 dollar tip..
I have gone to Applebee's and BWW a few times within the last two months with waiters with the same attitude!

but the best story was just a couple of weeks ago at BWW..
My local gamestop was having a Halo 4 tournament at BWW the night of the release.
Me and my boys were like eff it and ordered some wings. The wings were decent ( nothing compared to wingstop though) .. but the waiter disappeared after they were served. NO drink refills , NO "how is everything" , NO NADA. IT wasnt even buisy and they had plenty of servers around.
15 minutes later we see him waiting another table , we tried getting his attention but he seemed to ignore us. NOW GET THIS. AS HE LEFT THEIR TABLE HE SOMEHOW SPILLED ALL OF THEIR DRINKS. :smh: Not only did it take him 20 minutes to clean the mess but after that he returned to our table to not greet us but to state " I BETTER SEE SOME GREEN ON THAT TABLE WHEN YALL LEAVE" :smh: :x :smh:

We asked for the ticket , paid, then left. Did not feel bad about not leaving a tip.
Sorry to rant but it seems like these chain restaurants are getting worse.

Went to Uncle Julios for my birthday though and the service was FANTASTIC .. but it's definitely more high end. :smokin

Chilis has to be at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to those restaurants, I don't know how people don't realize this as soon as they open the menu.

in any case, do you tip homeboy on rollerskates at Sonics?

I usually don't honestly... And I'm a Manager at a Hilton...

I did in Jamaica though on my Honeymoon... Our Housekeeper was making some awesome arrangements with the towels on the bed and putting rose petals and stuff on there every day for a week. :pimp: Left her a $50 on the way out.

when i was younger vacationing i never tipped the hotel staff, now that im older and thanks to my wife im better, stood in the Westin in Maui this past summer, service was excellent, these people found out it was my birthday and took the liberty to leave us a nice little cake to celebrate, we would leave the room a complete mess and comeback as if it was our first time walking into the joint....had no problem leaving them a tip....the whole experience in there was delightful and the staff was a big part of it.

I ain't tippin no damb cab driver...HELL NO... :lol:

My father tips cab drivers.. I don't understand why
We (friend's and I), have tipped at Vegas. About $5.

I work at a restaurant gig and do deliveries as well. Some people are extremely generous and it's more than appreciated.
I try to strike up a conversation and greet with great mannerism (yes, brag). I've gotten a $23 tip on a $77 delivery order and def. felt good about it.

I can't blame those who don't throw a huge amount as tip for delivery though...I usually get 10%+.
In earlier years, my coworker got $50tip from one guy each visit :x :wow:.

Last edited:
Anyone who doesn't tip when you eat at a full service restaraunt which gave you GREAT service is a clown.

Straight up clown.

**Come at me misers

Chilis has to be at the bottom of the totem pole when it comes to those restaurants, I don't know how people don't realize this as soon as they open the menu.

in any case, do you tip homeboy on rollerskates at Sonics?

Son skated to you with food in his hand.

I'm tipping that man cause **** is a talent, **** the service, it's like a mini show.

I tip depending on the circumstance, I don't follow social norm and feel like people are pressured into that type of stuff.

A few years back I walked into Walmart and they had a TV on sale, **** was like 50% off.

I asked 2 people, both told me it was sold out, was walking away from the section and one more dude asked if I needed something. Told him the TV, he said its pretty sure it's sold out, but let him check anyways. Dude comes out the back with the last one :pimp: slipped him $10, why? Cause he makes his hourly and he could've just said F, it's sold out anyways, but he double checked for me :pimp:

:pimp:

As much as i didnt know you should be tipping housekeeping at hotels, im SHOCKED at how many people dont tip cab drivers.

Ive only ever not tipped a cabbie like twice, cause they were jerks on top of being super late on the pickup. I usually tip way too heavy when im drunk leaving the bar too. Ive been know to strike up drunk convos with sikh drivers about beards and then tip like 50%.

i have to do a persusaive speech for one of my classes and this thread gave me everything i need to do it on tipping. i got good points for it, and some solid points from the opposition side as well. good lookin out niketalk for letting me copy and paste posts in this thread into parts of my assignment.

i have to do a persusaive speech for one of my classes and this thread gave me everything i need to do it on tipping. i got good points for it, and some solid points from the opposition side as well. good lookin out niketalk for letting me copy and paste posts in this thread into parts of my assignment.

You gonna tip us? Don't be cheap.

Back
Top Bottom