Home Buying & Real Estate Thread

Anyone DIYers in here with experience spackling or applying compound on drywall? Gonna give it a shot for some small repairs. A couple small holes, nail/screw holes, leveling out some raised areas, fixing some chipped corners, bare corners etc.

Bought some spackle. lightweight spackle, few patch kits, knives, painters multi tool, broomstick pole sander for high spots, sand paper with different grit, masks, already have other stuff like shop vac and cleaning materials. And tips or advice on the correct sequence?

I've watched some yt videos but figured it would be good to bring up if anyone was thinking about doing the same.

Anyone DIYers in here with experience spackling or applying compound on drywall? Gonna give it a shot for some small repairs. A couple small holes, nail/screw holes, leveling out some raised areas, fixing some chipped corners, bare corners etc.

Bought some spackle. lightweight spackle, few patch kits, knives, painters multi tool, broomstick pole sander for high spots, sand paper with different grit, masks, already have other stuff like shop vac and cleaning materials. And tips or advice on the correct sequence?

I've watched some yt videos but figured it would be good to bring up if anyone was thinking about doing the same.

I've fixed some holes before. From tv mount holes to big holes in the garage.
It's actually super easy. Ain't nothing to it, but to do it really.
Wipe down the area and just follow the instructions.
These two things are clutch. I'd also add some sand paper to make sure you can make it all even.
As long as the paint matches, you'll be good.
15827020.jpg

03478662.jpg

Last edited:

Small nail holes aren't that bad to cover up, especially if you don't plan on hanging something in the same spot.

For larger holes, I just cut a square around the area and then add a new piece of drywall with compound.

That's pretty slick ^

I wonder what the difference is between doing that and using one of the patches I bought? Low traffic area in the garage/basement. More concerned about appearance than actual structural integrity.

it looks great. 40k is about what we've been quoted but i just dont want to spend that much.

Full bathroom. I haven't gotten a quote for it yet.im hoping to stay under 30000 for a bath and extra bedroom. I'll start shopping around in a year or so. I don't need it right now.

That's pretty slick ^

I wonder what the difference is between doing that and using one of the patches I bought? Low traffic area in the garage/basement. More concerned about appearance than actual structural integrity.
^^See my post for the reasoning. If you intend to drill/hang anything else heavy in that spot, you're better off cutting and replacing the drywall. Normal path kit is just going to mask the hole

^^See my post for the reasoning. If you intend to drill/hang anything else heavy in that spot, you're better off cutting and replacing the drywall. Normal path kit is just going to mask the hole

Thanks. I'll go with the kit, since it's just to hide a hole in the wall of my garage that a spring went through when the garage door opener cable snapped. I plan on repainting the entire wall.

I'll bookmark that California patch method for future fixes.

Does your mortgage company usually pay property taxes on your behalf? I’m so confused at my loan and monthly payment. Seems like I pay them monthly for:

Principal
Interest
PMI
Escrow (property tax and house insurance).

Also, I assumed now that I closed on the house part of it was that property tax was paid for the rest of the year…so don’t get why that’s still part of the monthly costs for this year.

Does your mortgage company usually pay property taxes on your behalf? I’m so confused at my loan and monthly payment. Seems like I pay them monthly for:

Principal
Interest
PMI

Also, I assumed now that I closed on the house part of it was that property tax was paid for the rest of the year…so don’t get why that’s still part of the monthly costs for this year.

Portion of your payment goes to escrow and they pay out your taxes and insurance

Principal
Interest
PMI

At a certain point you can request to manage your own taxes/insurance without escrow. You’d have to look into your loan documents or talk to your lender about their criteria.

Principal
Interest
PMI

Not sure if you’ve received any supplemental property tax notices, but I’ve used my escrow balance to pay those as well. I just had to send in a copy of the notice and request my mortgage company to pay it.

Any recommendations to keep spiders/bugs out of an unfinished basement? I know it comes with the territory because its cool and dark and largely unused except for a makeshift gym. Not much clutter. Is having a professional come out worth it or just using some type of traps and sprays good enough?

Any recommendations to keep spiders/bugs out of an unfinished basement? I know it comes with the territory because its cool and dark and largely unused except for a makeshift gym. Not much clutter. Is having a professional come out worth it or just using some type of traps and sprays good enough?
Just get yourself a couple lizards. Nah for real thou the spiders in my basement maintain order against any other insects trying to set up shop :lol: unless they're poisonous or dangerous let em be.

Just get yourself a couple lizards. Nah for real thou the spiders in my basement maintain order against any other insects trying to set up shop :lol: unless they're poisonous or dangerous let em be.
Its the wife man… Doesn’t do good with spiders. All reason goes out the window. She just emptied an entire can of Raid on one spider…

Its the wife man… Doesn’t do good with spiders. All reason goes out the window. She just emptied an entire can of Raid on one spider…
Then try dusting all the corners and crevices with insect dust. Lightly, with like a small paint brush. It won't kill them all at once but should eradicate the problem. Just keep raid on deck until it does.

I swear my wife is the same way about spiders.

It doesn't help that I've lived in a third world country so I'm kinda immune to fear of a small bug or two. I couldnt do roaches etc but a average spider does very little scare me

Not sure if you’ve received any supplemental property tax notices, but I’ve used my escrow balance to pay those as well. I just had to send in a copy of the notice and request my mortgage company to pay it.

Interesting good to know. Called the lender today and they said actually the title company should have made the first payment. And they are collecting and would make the next insurance payment (July 2023). So sounds like i gotta now talk to the title company and insurance company…sigh.

Miss muffett's revenge has some pretty good reviews. Killer and repellent.

I usually just pick the spider up and throw it outside. Like dude said, they hold down the fort. But I get why the wife wouldn't care :lol:

I swear my wife is the same way about spiders.

It doesn't help that I've lived in a third world country so I'm kinda immune to fear of a small bug or two. I couldnt do roaches etc but a average spider does very little scare me

There is heavy construction around my neighborhood because they are still building the rest of the townhouses/condos. They didn't tell me that basically releases bugs everywhere. The spiders I've seen in my place look harmless and I sprayed all the windows with Hot shot so they are gone for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom