HOLIDAY 2021 - Cool Grey 11

You’re right, modern clothing won’t do it.

Wear knights armor or a kilt for proper fit.

it really isn’t that difficult to pull off concords

dress them up
1633570799533.jpeg

dress them down
1633570825004.jpeg

OG 11’s and first retro run 11’s PL cut was all over the place…Don’t let anybody tell you any differently…Here’s some pics for reference, using Concords being worn by Mike here just because it makes it easier to see…Some have high cuts and others are noticeably lower…

9E9FB98E-24BD-4B0C-9CC5-198BE14081E5.jpeg
8DC60C4F-97B7-4114-ACAF-84CA7D2A0B58.jpeg
4646F793-A104-49E1-994B-601897B30FAF.jpeg
C97DA347-48B1-4534-9B53-CA8B0E92F88F.jpeg
09ADBB7C-615F-43D8-8F41-FA5365ED27E5.jpeg
5004F833-03A1-4123-A120-DCE4E17EA0E1.jpeg

Nike didn’t really put too much emphasis on it if we’re being honest…Whatever the PL cut the factory was using was what ended up in the shoes…The model was solid all the way through the DMP release and people stood a better than good chance at getting a pair with a higher cut…After that, when Nike hit that cost cutting / price hike phase in the late 2000’s is when things became an issue as they made a conscious effort to cut back on the PL usage, and overall material quality (This is when we got the barely there plastic PL that cracked rather than creased), to not only save money but gouge the consumer with regular price hikes :rolleyes …But that’s a whole different subject…

Also fun fact on the release schedule topic…Mike’s shoes always overlapped seasons all the way until the 95-96…He’d always debut the new model during the All Star Game every year and they’d start hitting stores around that same time…So he’d start every single season wearing the same model he ended the previous season wearing…

Nike shifted their approach after Mike retired the first time when they ~kind of correctly~ assumed that the public wouldn’t be so keen to buy MJ’s product after he’d retired…The 8’s released all the way through spring of 1993…They rushed Tinker and the production of the 9’s so they could get them to market while MJ was still kind of fresh in people’s minds…As such the 9 debuted and released in November of 1993…Making 1993 the first time that two signature Jordan shoes released in the same calendar year…

We all know how the story plays out from here…Poor sales of the 9’s and the first retro attempt in 1994 had Nike considering cutting the Jordan line all together…Tinker begged and fought to get one last sig to market which ended up being the “tribute” shoe in the 10’s…Lackluster overall because Nike gave Tinker next to no resources to get it done…They released November 1994 and for and for all intents and purpose were likely going to be the last signature Jordan sneaker Nike would release…Tinker, not ready to give up did work on his own for what would eventually become the Jordan 11…Mike returns, sales tick up, ECF’s come along and Mike grabs the wear test sample Concord 11’s to play in…Despite Tinker specifically asking him not to wear them since they hadn’t even been approved by his higher ups yet…Mike plays, gets fined, Tinker gets a sample black upper pair to Mike to finish out the series…The public by and large goes nuts for that pair of shoes…The ones Mike got in trouble for wearing…

Nike kicks production into overtime and the model goes from an un-approved sample in June 1995 , to being officially debuted by MJ in October to start the new season, and actually released to the public in November 1995…5 months from not even being approved to being released to the public…The shoe gets sold out almost everywhere, likely because Nike was only able to produce a smaller amount due to the short production window…The rest is history really…

So yeah my point is two fold…Mike’s sigs overlapping seasons was normal, and that Nike was so crunched under the demand for the original 11’s that they were cranking them out at record pace, thus causing the PL cuts to be all over the place…
vegetaray123 vegetaray123 great stuff right here. Complete with pictures, too. Appreciated!

Kinda want to give my Concords a wear… but they don’t really look good with any modern clothing. Maybe I should just sell them?

Old photo, because I don't feel like going through my closet right now, but I enjoy vintage clothing, especially Bulls merch and bought this tee right after I got my Concords in 2018. Throw on some black jeans and boom! Done. I know it borders along the lines of being "matchy" but eh.
IMG_20190802_152711_377.jpg

Or bust out some bootcut lightwash and go full MJ
gettyimages-80419441-612x612.jpg

Old photo, because I don't feel like going through my closet right now, but I enjoy vintage clothing, especially Bulls merch and bought this tee right after I got my Concords in 2018. Throw on some black jeans and boom! Done. I know it borders along the lines of being "matchy" but eh.

His pair icy doe :pimp:

That MJ picture reminded me that Nike really needs to release the Concord Lows again…When did they last release 2015?…It’s definitely time for some fresh pairs…

That MJ picture reminded me that Nike really needs to release the Concord Lows again…When did they last release 2015?…It’s definitely time for some fresh pairs…
Yeah, not to mention the fact those Concord lows SUCK. And Concords are pretty much my favorite Jordan, yet I still say that. The shape and cut is atrocious. I sold my pair that I only wore in the house maybe five times for a total of a few hours. No matter how hard I tried to convince myself to like them and that they looked good, I just couldn't do it.

I take it back… i’d rather have MJs pair. After scrolling through and looking at the ‘21 version, the shape and PL height don’t make up enough ground to cover for the inaccuracies in the hues of Grey. The Greys on the ‘01 are so much smoother and more appealing.

Wish I could find that YouTube video of the 2001 Cool Grey XI release at some mall. Those pairs in the video looked immaculate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom