Has being a hipster become......dare i say?..........Mainstream?

And you're going to evaluate their experience to music, in this case, as being less valid than yours?

You're coming off as an elitist in this sense.

You might as well call everyone who wears a polo shirt a fraud who doesn't understand country club culture or the origins of prep culture.

Lets just all wear white sheets and robes. 

Don't get it twisted, I understand that there might be a context in which a style was developed, but who are you to limit who as access to it? 

You might as well say that certain people, shouldn't do, certain things. Ever. 

And that's really what it boils down to it seems.

Us vs them mentality. "They" are stealing "our" culture.

There's no room for influences. People can't have far flung interests and passions. That OB4CL example is ridiculous. And some of you have the nerve to point the finger and say "hipsters" have the need for authenticity? This pot kettle black **** is killing me. Why does it matter when a person first found a record they like? How does that in any way diminish their fanhood?

And you're going to evaluate their experience to music, in this case, as being less valid than yours?

You might as well call everyone who wears a polo shirt a fraud who doesn't understand country club culture or the origins of prep culture.

Don't get it twisted, I understand that there might be a context in which a style was developed, but who are you to limit who as access to it? 

There's no room for influences. People can't have far flung interests and passions. That OB4CL example is ridiculous. And some of you have the nerve to point the finger and say "hipsters" have the need for authenticity? This pot kettle black **** is killing me. Why does it matter when a person first found a record they like? How does that in any way diminish their fanhood?
Exactly, but they're over here championing their adherence to "urban wear" as something thats only unique to them. 

So how about I just call all you all "thugs" and whatever you associate with that?

all these associations and basing your identity on brands, style of music and the decade you were born in is :smh:

Im with ninjahood. I got my style from the hood I grew up in. Different parts had different styles. It grew with me, so I just stuck with it. Its sad that I dress the way I do still sometimes :smh:. I remember bringing out the jean shorts in 08 and my girl was embarrassed..:smh::smokin.

I equate this to a white guy rapping.

You could argue on one hand that a rapper's background, ethnicity, motivations, and so on should have no bearing on the judgment of that rapper's talent.

Yet it has everything to do with it.

Ultimately authenticity and creativity determine whether one's "style" is really style. It's not that hipsters do or don't have style. It's that, regardless of what the fad is, there are good reasons and there are bad reasons for adopting that style. And those bad reasons are painfully obvious, even to an untrained observer. It's no coincidence that it only takes a couple minutes to notice the prevalence of certain personalities in hipster culture.

Exactly, but they're over here championing their adherence to "urban wear" as something thats only unique to them. 

So how about I just call all you all "thugs" and whatever you associate with that?
umm yea, ever seen good fellas? god father? scarface? how bout boyz in da hood and menance to society? last time i checked, thugs didn't dress monolithic..people actually had their own identity..so all you doing

is graspin at straws and its sad....
laugh.gif

when RUN DMC first burst on da scene wit da leather blazers and unlaced adidas, who were they emulating? cuz it damn sure wasn't a "well this is gonna b my urban look" there was NO SUCH THING as "urban wear" at all.

hell mainstream America still couldn't figure out that you can rape rap music for millions they were still TERRIFIED of it

...hell they didn't even WANT to advertise to minorities, so blacks and Hispanics in da inner cities just TOOK stuff and made it theirs...

hence creating a BRAND NEW original lane that was trailblazed by 80s babies....ya kiddies now got everything paved out for ya with cute lil signs and blog posts.

You could argue on one hand that a rapper's background, ethnicity, motivations, and so on should have no bearing on the judgment of that rapper's talent.

Ultimately authenticity and creativity determine whether one's "style" is really style. It's not that hipsters do or don't have style. It's that, regardless of what the fad is, there are good reasons and there are bad reasons for adopting that style. And those bad reasons are painfully obvious, even to an untrained observer. It's no coincidence that it only takes a couple minutes to notice the prevalence of certain personalities in hipster culture.
cosign, hipsters can culture vulture all they want, till they encounter someone who actually legit in their respective field and they basically get exposed word to da wizard of oz who turned out to be a fraud.

cosign, hipsters can culture vulture all they want, till they encounter someone who actually legit in their respective field and they basically get exposed word to da wizard of oz who turned out to be a fraud.

Question:

Can non-"urban" folk be hiphop fans?

umm yea, ever seen good fellas? god father? scarface? how bout boyz in da hood and menance to society? last time i checked, thugs didn't dress monolithic..people actually had their own identity..so all you doing

is graspin at straws and its sad....
laugh.gif

when RUN DMC first burst on da scene wit da leather blazers and unlaced adidas, who were they emulating? cuz it damn sure wasn't a "well this is gonna b my urban look" there was NO SUCH THING as "urban wear" at all.

hell mainstream America still couldn't figure out that you can rape rap music for millions they were still TERRIFIED of it

...hell they didn't even WANT to advertise to minorities, so blacks and Hispanics in da inner cities just TOOK stuff and made it theirs...

hence creating a BRAND NEW original lane that was trailblazed by 80s babies....ya kiddies now got everything paved out for ya with cute lil signs and blog posts.
What decade did track suits and Adidas tennis shoes originate in?

They just freaked the gear from the 70s!

Even RUN DMC wasn't "original"

Urban wear brands of the early 90s just took clothes that urban youth were wearing and tried to streamline it AND marketed it to them. Thats it. 

There was nothing "original" about the styles themselves.

Baggy clothes? you're calling that original? 

Let me guess, ya'll originated backwards caps too, huh?

I guess the 2000s has no trends either. 

Creativity ends at your doorstep. 

You sound ridiculous as hell right. You REALLY think the world stopped evolving once you did, huh? 

Last edited:

Culture vulture?

What do you call it when black youths who have never sold drugs, ever been in violent situations, or grew up middle class NYC that are drawn to rap.

Are they culture vultures too?

What's fraudulent here on top of that? Let me guess...if you weren't there when Jaz-O met Jay-Z then you're unworthy of wearing a bubble coat. 

All you're doing is parroting stuff from the brochure of the community you identify with and trying so hard to distance yourself as someone is thinks you're more original than you really are. You're not that unique, and frankly you're not that creative. All you've ever done or ever known was freak something that someone else did before you or was marketed to you. Look at the words you use. Fraud? Culture vulture? 

WHAT ARE YOU PROTECTING? What are you defending?  Do you even know? Who are you? Do you know who YOU even are? Thats whats so absurd about this whole thing. You really don't have any original opinions or stances but rather you'd rather invest more of your energy in making sure your little "club" is more exclusive than it really is. 

You're no different than the very "hipsters" you seek to chastise. In as much as you sought your autonomy growing up, these subsequent groups and classifications are trying to do just that for themselves. 

Last edited:
I work in advertising.. when I say a good 60-70% are hipster I'm not lying. This one chick I know tried so hard to convert into a hipster.. that she started calling herself a hipster. I don't have a doctorate in hipster but isn't that what hipsters are against? Labels? Anyways they're incredibly annoying and think their tastes are far superior. Whether it's movies, music or artists they scoff at anything that isn't "known by few people." Oh and the fact that they think PBR beer is the only alcohol one should drink. :x

Yeah, I don't like them. Instragram everything, hashtag everything. Hashtags dont even belong on Facebook :smh:

It's been mainstream. I live in LA though, been tons of hipsters here for years now. Hell i have a couple friends that are.

Middle class black youth growing up in NYC, that are attracted to Hip-Hop are culture vultures?.... :wow: :lol:

Damb.

This "man" will let nothing get in the way of his thirst to argue.

Last edited:
Middle class black youth growing up in NYC, that are attracted to Hip-Hop are culture vultures?....
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Damb.

This "man" will let nothing get in the way of his thirst to argue.
What will it take for ya'll to just admit that you don't like people "in your club" 
laugh.gif

"Aw man, they listen to Wu Tang? They don't even know about the B-sides! Do they have that 95 Source Magazine Cover?!"

A whole bunch of brand identity going on in here from people who don't even realize that they're simply people who have their own influences and motivations as well.

None of you all are original or as novel as you think you are. EVERYTHING you are is just an attempt at freaking something else you've been apart of or wanted to emulate. 

Ninjahood thinks that since people in his hood dressed like that, then that makes him more "authentic" when in reality it just shows that he was probably just as much of a (lets be honest) biter as kids are who use the internet or whatever to stay on top of trends. Not having the internet doesn't exclude you from being influenced by something or wanting to emulate the culture of the moment.

What about dudes who used to brag about going to Japan to soak up game? Are they "original" too? People started labeling places like Western Europe as being fashion capitals and all of a sudden you've got people trying to emulate and soak up game from that. Does that make people who tried to push that in the US, "original?" 

The 80s/90s nostalgists can be some of the worst offenders out here. You mean to tell me that since you wore whatever you wore that you were more "authentic" about it? Mean while you're rocking polos from the 60s and tennis shoes from the 70s? "Nah but we read magazines and watched video tapes from people in other parts of the country!" ...yeah, so you could steal and incorporate whatever they were doing.

What happened to this thread?

FutureMD entered. :lol: :smh:

Some of the most knowledgeable and chill Hip-Hop fans are upper middle class Caucasians. Go to any Hip-Hop concert and club and they blend in and are totally accepted as part of the in crowd, even if they are dressed a little different from everyone else. Just look at dudes like Peter Rosenberg.

Real sneaker collectors span the gamut of social classifications, Chinese, Japanese, Pakistani, Black, White, Latino, etc. Once you put in the due time and effort to understand and respect the culture, its all good.

You can be a white or asian rasta, as long as your vibrations are irie and you take it seriously people will embrace you. But if you're a rich dude that grows locks and smokes weed just to fit in or standout...if the only song you know from Bob Marley is "Jammin" and you drive around playing Matishayu in a convertible E-Class....people might throw you into the "Trustafarian" category.

Vacuous, pretentious, trend-hopping posers are universally looked down upon in all cultures. Whether they be hype-beasts or hipsters.

That doesn't mean that you are an island of uniqueness or that they aren't human...it just means that they're faking the funk and everyone can see it.

I don't know why you can't take simple things at face value and always have to distort a convo until its unrecognizable....just so you can make a point that no one else is even arguing.

Last edited:
What happened to this thread?
FutureMD entered. 
laugh.gif

mean.gif

Who typed that reply below though?
Some of the most knowledgeable and chill Hip-Hop fans are upper middle class Caucasians. Go to any Hip-Hop concert and club and they blend in and are totally accepted as part of the in crowd, even if they are dressed a little different from everyone else. Just look at dudes like Peter Rosenberg.

Real sneaker collectors span the gamut of social classifications, Chinese, Japanese, Pakistani, Black, White, Latino, etc. Once you put in the due time and effort to understand and respect the culture, its all good.

You can be a white or asian rasta, as long as your vibrations are irie and you take it seriously people will embrace you. But if you're a rich dude that grows locks and smokes weed just to fit in or standout...if the only song you know from Bob Marley is "Jammin" and you drive around playing Matishayu in a convertible E-Class....people might throw you into the "Trustafarian" category.

Vacuous, pretentious, trend-hopping posers are universally looked down upon in all cultures. Whether they be hype-beasts or hipsters.

That doesn't mean that you are an island of uniqueness or that they aren't human...it just means that they're faking the funk and everyone can see it.

I don't know why you can't take simple things at face value and always have to distort a convo until its unrecognizable just to make a point that no one else is even arguing.
I understand that there can be Hot 97 Peter Rosenbergs out there but if you're not going to distinguish what separates a poser from someone who actually might  "take it seriously" then the comparison never will hold up. Everyone is steeped in different cultures to various degrees. 

Its like saying every black girl with natural hair listens to Badu and Dwele while shopping at Whole Foods in bohemian skirts topless. 

Posing in itself is seem merely as offensive because its not as intellectually lazy or easy for you to classify them. But all of a sudden here come these line-steppers blurring what you think you know and cling to and all of a sudden, you can't tell one from the other and who is real from who isn't and you're getting upset.

If you are, who you are, and are secure in that, then you don't need anyone's validation. 

The same irony and sarcasm that hipsters thrive on is the same thing that motivates the stuffy and stiff prep culture. 

Are you going to give them a test to see who is faking it?

Now question: is every ***** with dreads for the cause?

Is every ***** with golds for the fall? naw

So don't get caught in appearance

Taking your distinction: Going so far as to grow dreds and listen to Ska thinking its real reggae doesn't matter to me, nor should it matter to you. If they want to wear Clarks and Ponchos, let them. Who cares? Are you saying that they're faking it? So the dude who thinks Selassie was the last real king isn't a poser? Hes not a sycophant to a movement? 

All you're doing is reinforcing the lines that separate people, not encouraging the same originality you think you embrace. 

Last edited:
Its not that serious, man. Hipster is a pretty playful label.

And a lot of hipsters are self-effacing because of that. They don't even take them selves seriously. Not nearly as serious as you're taking them or the label.

But people who are really activists are activists, people who are really in the art world are really into it, Hip-Hop heads are almost religious about it, so are rockers, Rastas, environmentalists etc.

Hipsters try to take the cultural aesthetics and high-points of all of those sub-cultures and roll them into one. Pledging allegiance to none of them, not developing a level of competence and devotion to any of the genres....but scraping up whatever cultural cache they can from each sub-set to add to their manufactured and everchanging quirkiness.

Going so far as to grow dreds and listen to Ska thinking its real reggae doesn't matter to me, nor should it matter to you. If they want to wear Clarks and Ponchos, let them. Who cares?

Who is stopping them? No one particularly cares either until they step into their domain and become intrusive. It just is what it is. They're hipsters.

There will always be lines that separate people its all about respecting those differences

Last edited:
If you wear a beanie in the summer time, yup you're a hipster!

And ride a weird looking bike through the city that qualifies too.

And you have like a fake job where you work like 3-4 hrs a day.

Srs :lol:

Back
Top Bottom