Greg Oden Out for Season vol. Deja Vu

Originally Posted by chitown85

Picking Oden over Durant is the lite version of Bowie over Jordan.

I think it's a little early for that. For all we know Durant could be Penny or T-Mac.

The guys should sign a minimum offer sheet when he is a restricted free agent from the Suns. Perhaps their training staff can salvage his career like Grant Hill.

The guys should sign a minimum offer sheet when he is a restricted free agent from the Suns. Perhaps their training staff can salvage his career like Grant Hill.

Look at the dominant big men in the league right now against the most dynamic scorers and you tell me who is more important.
not so sure about this..... just this past summer, Lakers won the finals and one could argue that Pau Gasol was more deserving of the MVP for that series.... size still matters. defense and rebounding matter.

Look at the dominant big men in the league right now against the most dynamic scorers and you tell me who is more important.
not so sure about this..... just this past summer, Lakers won the finals and one could argue that Pau Gasol was more deserving of the MVP for that series.... size still matters. defense and rebounding matter.

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Sorry for writing it three times.  Regardless, you guys are acting like Durant was CLEARLY the #2 pick behind Oden.  It was very split as to who people believed to be the true #1 pick (fans, coaches, gms, "experts", analysts, etc).  

My reasons to why I think it was the wrong pick....

-they had trouble scoring

-rebounding was not really a huge problem

-there wasnt a real good small forward on this team

-oden already showed a history of injury

-the franchise was faced with this situation before, and made a mistake of historic proportions

-the team was in the bottom third in attendance, and durant was a more marketable player

-they essentially just invested their first round pick, in the previous year, to a low post player

Obviously hindsight is 20-20, but I truly believed this at the time.  If you disagree with me, so be it.  But the Blazers will have now passed on two superstar scoring wing players (one being the GOAT, one with the potential of being an all time great) to draft big men that turned out to be trash.  Whats that saying?  Those who who forget the past are doomed to something rather?
there you go. 
i really hate these what-ifs turned i told you so's

what if the Durant we know today only averages 12 & 5?.. would you guys be criticizing Port for not picking up Al Horford? 
grin.gif

No one cares if YOU hate what ifs turning into i told you sos.  I never said any what if before the 2007 draft.  I watched Durant dominate and had all those opinions you crossed off prior to the draft.  No one likes a wise #+%.  And for the record, I was told to explain myself. 

Originally Posted by proper english

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Sorry for writing it three times.  Regardless, you guys are acting like Durant was CLEARLY the #2 pick behind Oden.  It was very split as to who people believed to be the true #1 pick (fans, coaches, gms, "experts", analysts, etc).  

My reasons to why I think it was the wrong pick....

-they had trouble scoring

-rebounding was not really a huge problem

-there wasnt a real good small forward on this team

-oden already showed a history of injury

-the franchise was faced with this situation before, and made a mistake of historic proportions

-the team was in the bottom third in attendance, and durant was a more marketable player

-they essentially just invested their first round pick, in the previous year, to a low post player

Obviously hindsight is 20-20, but I truly believed this at the time.  If you disagree with me, so be it.  But the Blazers will have now passed on two superstar scoring wing players (one being the GOAT, one with the potential of being an all time great) to draft big men that turned out to be trash.  Whats that saying?  Those who who forget the past are doomed to something rather?
there you go. 
i really hate these what-ifs turned i told you so's

what if the Durant we know today only averages 12 & 5?.. would you guys be criticizing Port for not picking up Al Horford? 
grin.gif

No one cares if YOU hate what ifs turning into i told you sos.  I never said any what if before the 2007 draft.  I watched Durant dominate and had all those opinions you crossed off prior to the draft.  No one likes a wise #+%.  And for the record, I was told to explain myself. 

The NBA Draft with Oden and Durant will have to go up there with the one with Bowie and Jordan if Durant turns into the superstar everyone thinks he will while Oden ends up out of the league due to injury.

I hope that Oden gets better though. I remember seeing Durant in college and thinking this guy is way too frail to dominate in the NBA. Looks like I was way off on that one
smile.gif

Wow at ESPN comparing Oden and Bowie and saying that Bowie actually was better than Oden in the NBA.

The NBA Draft with Oden and Durant will have to go up there with the one with Bowie and Jordan if Durant turns into the superstar everyone thinks he will while Oden ends up out of the league due to injury.

I hope that Oden gets better though. I remember seeing Durant in college and thinking this guy is way too frail to dominate in the NBA. Looks like I was way off on that one
smile.gif

Wow at ESPN comparing Oden and Bowie and saying that Bowie actually was better than Oden in the NBA.

Originally Posted by JayMyers

Bowie essentially played seven full seasons worth of games in his career, and his numbers are better than Oden's.

Originally Posted by JayMyers

Bowie essentially played seven full seasons worth of games in his career, and his numbers are better than Oden's.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

I don't know why dudes in here acting like it wasn't a bad pick to take Oden over Durant. Forget hindsight, it was a bad choice when they made it. The league has changed and the Blazers got caught following an archaic ideal that no longer applies. In this day and age you should always take the dynamic scorer over the "dominant" big man. I said this back during the draft and it holds true now. Look at the dominant big men in the league right now against the most dynamic scorers and you tell me who is more important. I feel bad for the dude cause he's probably done but it is what it is at this point. Gotta move on.
you are wrong. consensus among GM's was oden over durant. and that big men are more important to win titles than scoring wingmen. You can't say that wingmen were more important back then since yao, bynum and all these bigs got injured recently. Of course people are going to be hesitant in choosing big men over wingmen TODAY but not back during that draft.
A healthy dominant big men > healthy dominant wing player ANY DAY... minus michael jordan. 

and  
laugh.gif
 at you guys saying people thought durant would be MJ before the draft. easy to say now that blazer made the wrong decision but i didn't see many of you guys saying "OMG what a terrible pick back when they did pick oden" Although we knew he had some injury history, no one on here could've predicted he'd have 3 MAJOR knee surgeries within the first 3 years of his career, and that a skinny Durant would be the healthiest player in the league.

again hindsight 20 20. 

GMs > you

I don't know why dudes in here acting like it wasn't a bad pick to take Oden over Durant. Forget hindsight, it was a bad choice when they made it. The league has changed and the Blazers got caught following an archaic ideal that no longer applies. In this day and age you should always take the dynamic scorer over the "dominant" big man. I said this back during the draft and it holds true now. Look at the dominant big men in the league right now against the most dynamic scorers and you tell me who is more important. I feel bad for the dude cause he's probably done but it is what it is at this point. Gotta move on.
you are wrong. consensus among GM's was oden over durant. and that big men are more important to win titles than scoring wingmen. You can't say that wingmen were more important back then since yao, bynum and all these bigs got injured recently. Of course people are going to be hesitant in choosing big men over wingmen TODAY but not back during that draft.
A healthy dominant big men > healthy dominant wing player ANY DAY... minus michael jordan. 

and  
laugh.gif
 at you guys saying people thought durant would be MJ before the draft. easy to say now that blazer made the wrong decision but i didn't see many of you guys saying "OMG what a terrible pick back when they did pick oden" Although we knew he had some injury history, no one on here could've predicted he'd have 3 MAJOR knee surgeries within the first 3 years of his career, and that a skinny Durant would be the healthiest player in the league.

again hindsight 20 20. 

GMs > you

The hell? 
laugh.gif

Since 99 only 1 team has won a chip without a dominant PF/C and that was Detroit. 

The hell? 
laugh.gif

Since 99 only 1 team has won a chip without a dominant PF/C and that was Detroit. 

Originally Posted by WJuN15

and  
laugh.gif

again hindsight 20 20. 

GMs > you    ALL OF US

Originally Posted by WJuN15

and  
laugh.gif

again hindsight 20 20. 

GMs > you    ALL OF US

Back
Top Bottom