Greg Oden Out for Season vol. Deja Vu

For anyone who is claiming that it was such a stupid pick didn't watch the 2007 title game versus Florida. I was there, and he looked like a man among boys. Dunking like its on nerf hoops. His agility for someone that big doesn't come around too often, it's too bad he's so injury prone and will likely never amount to what he could be.

For anyone who is claiming that it was such a stupid pick didn't watch the 2007 title game versus Florida. I was there, and he looked like a man among boys. Dunking like its on nerf hoops. His agility for someone that big doesn't come around too often, it's too bad he's so injury prone and will likely never amount to what he could be.

Originally Posted by dland24

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Originally Posted by JPZx

I cant believe there are so many people who are arguing that it wasnt a stupid pick at the time.

Was a stupid pick at the time, looks even worse now. Terrible.

It was stupid at the time for multiple reasons.  Period.

So that's three posts and you have yet to explain your reasoning. Brilliant.
Was just about to say the exact same thing
laugh.gif

Sorry for writing it three times.  Regardless, you guys are acting like Durant was CLEARLY the #2 pick behind Oden.  It was very split as to who people believed to be the true #1 pick (fans, coaches, gms, "experts", analysts, etc).  

My reasons to why I think it was the wrong pick....

-they had trouble scoring

-rebounding was not really a huge problem

-there wasnt a real good small forward on this team

-oden already showed a history of injury

-the franchise was faced with this situation before, and made a mistake of historic proportions

-the team was in the bottom third in attendance, and durant was a more marketable player

-they essentially just invested their first round pick, in the previous year, to a low post player

Obviously hindsight is 20-20, but I truly believed this at the time.  If you disagree with me, so be it.  But the Blazers will have now passed on two superstar scoring wing players (one being the GOAT, one with the potential of being an all time great) to draft big men that turned out to be trash.  Whats that saying?  Those who who forget the past are doomed to something rather?
there you go. 
i really hate these what-ifs turned i told you so's

what if the Durant we know today only averages 12 & 5?.. would you guys be criticizing Port for not picking up Al Horford? 
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Th3RealF0lkBlu3s

Originally Posted by JPZx

I cant believe there are so many people who are arguing that it wasnt a stupid pick at the time.

Was a stupid pick at the time, looks even worse now. Terrible.

It was stupid at the time for multiple reasons.  Period.

So that's three posts and you have yet to explain your reasoning. Brilliant.
Was just about to say the exact same thing
laugh.gif

Sorry for writing it three times.  Regardless, you guys are acting like Durant was CLEARLY the #2 pick behind Oden.  It was very split as to who people believed to be the true #1 pick (fans, coaches, gms, "experts", analysts, etc).  

My reasons to why I think it was the wrong pick....

-they had trouble scoring

-rebounding was not really a huge problem

-there wasnt a real good small forward on this team

-oden already showed a history of injury

-the franchise was faced with this situation before, and made a mistake of historic proportions

-the team was in the bottom third in attendance, and durant was a more marketable player

-they essentially just invested their first round pick, in the previous year, to a low post player

Obviously hindsight is 20-20, but I truly believed this at the time.  If you disagree with me, so be it.  But the Blazers will have now passed on two superstar scoring wing players (one being the GOAT, one with the potential of being an all time great) to draft big men that turned out to be trash.  Whats that saying?  Those who who forget the past are doomed to something rather?
there you go. 
i really hate these what-ifs turned i told you so's

what if the Durant we know today only averages 12 & 5?.. would you guys be criticizing Port for not picking up Al Horford? 
grin.gif

Dude should just sit out two full seasons to get 100% healthy and then if he keeps getting injured after that, probably best to retire.

Dude should just sit out two full seasons to get 100% healthy and then if he keeps getting injured after that, probably best to retire.

I don't know why dudes in here acting like it wasn't a bad pick to take Oden over Durant. Forget hindsight, it was a bad choice when they made it. The league has changed and the Blazers got caught following an archaic ideal that no longer applies. In this day and age you should always take the dynamic scorer over the "dominant" big man. I said this back during the draft and it holds true now. Look at the dominant big men in the league right now against the most dynamic scorers and you tell me who is more important. I feel bad for the dude cause he's probably done but it is what it is at this point. Gotta move on.

I don't know why dudes in here acting like it wasn't a bad pick to take Oden over Durant. Forget hindsight, it was a bad choice when they made it. The league has changed and the Blazers got caught following an archaic ideal that no longer applies. In this day and age you should always take the dynamic scorer over the "dominant" big man. I said this back during the draft and it holds true now. Look at the dominant big men in the league right now against the most dynamic scorers and you tell me who is more important. I feel bad for the dude cause he's probably done but it is what it is at this point. Gotta move on.

It's an easy bust label so we don't need to go there, because now I just feel bad for the guy.

Hopefully there's a nice comeback story awaiting Oden down the road.

It's an easy bust label so we don't need to go there, because now I just feel bad for the guy.

Hopefully there's a nice comeback story awaiting Oden down the road.

RavageBX wrote:

The league has changed and the Blazers got caught following an archaic ideal that no longer applies. In this day and age you should always take the dynamic scorer over the "dominant" big man.Look at the dominant big men in the league right now against the most dynamic scorers and you tell me who is more important.

laugh.gif

The ideal hasn't changed they're aren't very many big men. So when teams get a chance to grab one they don't pass up.

Scorers need a solid/dominant big man and vice versa

RavageBX wrote:

The league has changed and the Blazers got caught following an archaic ideal that no longer applies. In this day and age you should always take the dynamic scorer over the "dominant" big man.Look at the dominant big men in the league right now against the most dynamic scorers and you tell me who is more important.

laugh.gif

The ideal hasn't changed they're aren't very many big men. So when teams get a chance to grab one they don't pass up.

Scorers need a solid/dominant big man and vice versa

Originally Posted by chitown85

Picking Oden over Durant is the lite version of Bowie over Jordan.

I think it's a little early for that. For all we know Durant could be Penny or T-Mac.

Back
Top Bottom