Greek Life

delta sigma pi. its a professional fraternity.
i love it. allowed me to meet many of my closest friends and has given me numerous business opportunities.
i was never hazed in any gross way but yea pledging sucks.

Originally Posted by SoundnFury

i love it. allowed me to meet many of my closest friends and has given me numerous business opportunities.

what good bro. delta sig as well, IP chapter chapter checking in.
pimp.gif

we are a professional fraternity "organized to foster the study of business in universities."  but professional frats and social frats are similar but kinda different

i wanted to do a D-9 frat but when i was ready they didnt have a line
30t6p3b.gif
  I felt bad for the people I knew that pre. thought i was messing up cuz i wasnt with them. but they have nothing to show for it now
30t6p3b.gif

frats are cool tho. the network you have access to when you join is an essential tool in itself. Your frat can put u on to alot of new things, people, and oppertunities that you would not have been exposed to otherwise. And sure frats have the perks of parties and girls. but its definately not buying friends, at least not with D-9 or the other orgs at my school. the bond you share with your pledge class or lbs,  going thru it, if done right and with a purpose, theres nothing like. you all have to hold each other down cuz your all you got. you learn so much about yourself, what your really capable of, and what you can endure and persevere thru

I will say that there are people that don't deserve their letters tho, especially if you paper or dont do anything once you cross. youll find that its mainly the gulliable or weak minded people who change after they cross and let their letters define them and feel a sense of entitlement they have not earned. its all about uplift and reaching higher, and lifting as you climb (no disrespect), but if you know yourself before you join a frat then you should still be the same person after and you should use what you've learned to help others.

and don't just live behind your letters. use your letters to make a difference. that what greek life is supposed to be about

I never had any intention on join any fraternities. And after hanging around a few frats and a lot of sororities I really have no intention on pledging.
My girl is in one and her sisters do is complain about how much they don't like it anymore. Too many stupid rules, and the dudes do the same thing.

It depends on your school though. One of my best friends is a Kappa at Bama and he loves it.
I'm too much of a loner for that stuff though.

edit,
more info on professional frats?

Originally Posted by omgitswes

I never had any intention on join any fraternities. And after hanging around a few frats and a lot of sororities I really have no intention on pledging.
My girl is in one and all her and her sisters do is complain about how much they hate it. Too many stupid rules, and the dudes do the same thing.

It depends on your school though. One of my best friends is a Kappa at Bama and he loves it.

edit,
cosigned

Alpha Phi Alpha Spring 08 Deuce Club! I will say that as I am much older now the whole being an "Alpha" is definitely not as serious for me as it was when i was younger. I love my bruhs and to this day will do anything for the frat, but my family, job, and other things all come first. I did have a great time being a neo and as a prophyte. I was an ADP of a line and had the opportunity to travel all over and MAKE other members as well.

Originally Posted by Joe Cool

pimp.gif

we are a professional fraternity "organized to foster the study of business in universities."  but professional frats and social frats are similar but kinda different

30t6p3b.gif
  I felt bad for the people I knew that pre. thought i was messing up cuz i wasnt with them. but they have nothing to show for it now
30t6p3b.gif

frats are cool tho. the network you have access to when you join is an essential tool in itself. Your frat can put u on to alot of new things, people, and oppertunities that you would not have been exposed to otherwise. And sure frats have the perks of parties and girls. but its definately not buying friends, at least not with D-9 or the other orgs at my school. the bond you share with your pledge class or lbs,  going thru it, if done right and with a purpose, theres nothing like. you all have to hold each other down cuz your all you got. you learn so much about yourself, what your really capable of, and what you can endure and persevere thru

I will say that there are people that don't deserve their letters tho, especially if you paper or dont do anything once you cross. youll find that its mainly the gulliable or weak minded people who change after they cross and let their letters define them and feel a sense of entitlement they have not earned. its all about uplift and reaching higher, and lifting as you climb (no disrespect), but if you know yourself before you join a frat then you should still be the same person after and you should use what you've learned to help others.

and don't just live behind your letters. use your letters to make a difference. that what greek life is supposed to be about
Iota Rho Chapter ... Howard U. ..
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Proud Iota Man here ..  Ace Club, Spring 11...

"Building a Tradition, Not Resting Upon One.."

Originally Posted by omgitswes

My girl is in one and her sisters do is complain about how much they don't like it anymore. Too many stupid rules, and the dudes do the same thing.

edit,

I'm in a professional fraternity and let me say that I am SO glad to be a part of it.
A lot of networking opportunities and if you need help/advice or anything, brothers will help you out.

Most of our alumni are in med school and a lot of the brothers are doing AMAZING things right now as an undergrad.

I had a lot of memories pledging, it was TOUGH and pretty crazy at times, but you only pledge once and you rock the letters forever...

But also, there a professional "fraternities", but they are co-ed 
grin.gif
 nothing against them, but I can't really imagine what the pledging process would be like. 

I'm sure they are great too, if you are thinking about pledging my advice would just to go to rush eat the free food that's there and if you like the people and what the organization stands for, do an interview and hope you get a bid. 
glasses.gif

alotta frat people say "the networking is bananas. i have a guaranteed job after college"

then they proceed to mess up in college, thinking that frat is a safety net.

my ex was SO hype about this. "i'm going to be an AKA. i'm going to have a job for sure"

i asked her would you give somebody a job just cuz they're in your sorority... ignoring some other person that's more qualified? put your job on the line for a sister...?

being in a frat could be a deciding factor if its 50/50 doe...

Originally Posted by ricky409

alotta frat people say "the networking is bananas. i have a guaranteed job after college"

my ex was SO hype about this. "i'm going to be an AKA. i'm going to have a job for sure"

i asked her would you give somebody a job just cuz they're in your sorority... ignoring some other person that's more qualified? put your job on the line for a sister...?

Sucks but that's pretty much how the world works nowadays. The person best fit for the job is not always the one that gets it.  This culture goes way beyond frats and sororities.  There's buddy systems everywhere. From school playgrounds to the professional world.  In a group you are only as strong as your weakest member. 
Don't get me wrong. I feel like fraternities and sororities are excellent concepts if executed properly. 

Don't regret not pledging, per se, cause I partied my butt off and made tons of friends without pledging.

But iono, man, any positive activity that can help you attract the opposite sex has to be at least considered. It was taboo to say you wanted to pledge to get girls, but looking back what's the big deal? If being a Kappa helps you find your wife, what's the issue? Who cares if that's the boost you needed?

Kappa Alpha Psi checking in. Pledged Fall 2007. Definitely one of the most difficult yet rewarding experiences of my life, although I would NOT do it again
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by North Dade Represent

Don't regret not pledging, per se, cause I partied my butt off and made tons of friends without pledging.

But iono, man, any positive activity that can help you attract the opposite sex has to be at least considered. It was taboo to say you wanted to pledge to get girls, but looking back what's the big deal? If being a Kappa helps you find your wife, what's the issue? Who cares if that's the boost you needed?

if you have to join an organization to get girls, you're doing it wrong
from my perspective, wearing greek letters generally attracts the wrong girls

just an opinion though

Originally Posted by Wr

Sucks but that's pretty much how the world works nowadays. The person best fit for the job is not always the one that gets it.  This culture goes way beyond frats and sororities.  There's buddy systems everywhere. From school playgrounds to the professional world.  In a group you are only as strong as your weakest member. 
Don't get me wrong. I feel like fraternities and sororities are excellent concepts if executed properly. 
most times they arent though, famb...
especially in the black frats... black sororities are a little better, though.

Elaborate ricky409.

And shout out to all the Nupes on NT. I thought it was just me and EWD on here.

Originally Posted by iBlink

Elaborate ricky409.

ALERT: THIS AINT EVERYBODY.
frats give fellas a false sense of security. they promise them connections out the world. they guarantee you'll have this and that.

this false sense keeps cats from working hard... they think they have things on lock. they'll step right into an accounting firm, or walk into a head coaching gig, or slide into a junior analyst spot.

black people wear their frat like a badge of honor ( aint nothing wrong w/ that famb... real life). they define themselves as "____ ____... i'm an omega" and think the real world is like college... 

in college, you say what frat you in, and you good. yambs moisten, people get nicer and answers to test fall in your lap. 

in the real world, more times than not... the amount of DAMBS given is so minimal about your frat, and it smacks boys in the face.

same thing goes for athletes... i played mid major d1, d2 and naia if it matters...

Originally Posted by iBlink

Elaborate ricky409.

ALERT: THIS AINT EVERYBODY.
frats give fellas a false sense of security. they promise them connections out the world. they guarantee you'll have this and that.

this false sense keeps cats from working hard... they think they have things on lock. they'll step right into an accounting firm, or walk into a head coaching gig, or slide into a junior analyst spot.

black people wear their frat like a badge of honor ( aint nothing wrong w/ that famb... real life). they define themselves as "____ ____... i'm an omega" and think the real world is like college... 

in college, you say what frat you in, and you good. yambs moisten, people get nicer and answers to test fall in your lap. 

in the real world, more times than not... the amount of DAMBS given is so minimal about your frat, and it smacks boys in the face.

same thing goes for athletes... i played mid major d1, d2 and naia if it matters...
I can't say I completely disagree with you.  Even though you gave a disclaimer, it comes off as a huge generalization.  I rarely tell others I'm in a frat.  Most of the time when people find out, it's because they saw my car or someone else told them.  Majority of my boys are the same way.  Walking around and broadcasting you're in an organization is weak.  When I'm given an opportunity, whether is from networking through the frat or not, I make sure I go into the spot and bust my %*+.  1.  I don't want to look like a fool.  2.  I don't want the person that referred me to look like a fool.  The false sense of security that keeps people from working hard can go for anyone in any type of group.  It's completely up to that individual to make the most out of their situation.  But I see where you are coming from.

Crossed last semester, and enjoying my short time left in college. Its fun, but the work gets real. My views, don't join an organization if you won't be committed to putting in work.
Shoutout to all the Deuces!

Originally Posted by ReeceMan10

Originally Posted by Joe Cool

pimp.gif

30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Iota Rho Chapter ... Howard U. ..
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Proud Iota Man here ..  Ace Club, Spring 11...

"Building a Tradition, Not Resting Upon One.."
Nice Nice. 
Iota Kappa. Capital Region whats good

Old Gold and Royal Purple.

Black Greeks were created to protect African Americans from ostracism and to give them a voice on white campuses.

Now that those days of harsh racism have ended, they've adopted a gang mentality:
-"my chapter hazes the hardest"
-"i better not see him/her throwing up our hand sign or wearing our colors". etc...

It's taken upon an entirely new meaning. All about parties stepping hazing etc. However there are some that still perform service.

I joined one in 2005 and I'm very loosely affiliated. It literally turns into a religion for some people.

Anyone on here in Alumni Chapters?? Was thinking about it since my undergrad didnt have the Fraternity I wanted to be in

Back
Top Bottom