Greek Life

Are any NTers involved in Greek life on their campuses? 
Rep your fraternity/sorority and share any stories or useful experiences. 

nerd.gif

please chime in. was thinking about pledging next year.

Not in any frats, but it was hilarious & fun being friends with a lot of people who are, and having a gf who was/is in a sorority.
For me I pretty knew new a lot of the rules (bylaws?) and all that other stuff without actually having to pay dues and do a lot
of extra stuff. For some reason though, it seems like the Black frats/sorority dues are soooooooo much higher than the White
ones.
***EDIT: Ahhhhh, thanks for that info iBlink

That's because the more predominantly white fraternities and sororities have to pay reoccurring membership fees (semesterly), whereas the predominantly blacks pay a large one time fee that pretty much covers them for their time in college. Plus the predominantly black organizations have been hit with multiple law suits over the years, so member**** fees were raised to help pay off compensations. Sad story.

I'm a Kappa though. Fall 2K9.

Being Greek is something that loses its flare, like many other aspects of life, after a while. Don't get me wrong, I love being in the Bond, but I think everyone, at one point or another, ought to have the realization that the "life" is temporary. For me, I got to the point where I wanted to be known for stuff other than just being a Kappa, or a frat boy.

I had some crazy times though, I will say that. All that $*@* you see in movies, I've done that and more. Now that I got it all out my system, the wild and crazy life style just isn't for me anymore. Guess it comes with age. Pledged when I was 21. I'll be 24 this year. Crazy three years

Yo to the Nupes!

college days swiftly pass.

i love being an alpha, loved pledging in undergrad, loved my time as an undergrad member.

now, i'm a college graduate. it's more than just being greek out here. but i do love my bruhs and some
of the best people i've met and know now i met through being an alpha.

great times and even more to be had with my whole line graduating and having jobs! vegas with my lb's in september, we gone tear it up.

'06

Shoutout to the dude that wanted to blow up his school 'cause the Iotas passed on him.
roll.gif

It's about 19:11 according to my watch, though.

Originally Posted by Yeah

Shoutout to the dude that wanted to blow up his school 'cause the Iotas passed on him.
roll.gif

It's about 19:11 according to my watch, though.

tired.gif
  Lol Thanks for remembering 
laugh.gif

Dude is now chilling in counselling.

Pledging next semester hope I make it

One of my best friend's lived with two of them (who were also my boys) so the only thing I didn't experience was the formals.

I have a pretty out going personally so I was accepted and could get with sorority girls. If you are just an average guy I'd say join because formal dates and sorority chicks are pretty much arranged for you.

Not in a greek but coo w/ a few who are. For predom white frats, Rush Week = meals for a week
laugh.gif
if u continuously make it to the next round. After that, idk.

Predom black greeks, after you show interest, infromational sessions, etc etc. If youre gullible enough to believe that the hazing doesn't go on or isn't too bad, think again
laugh.gif
My boys let me know that it goes down in some instances.

I will say this, you and youre lb's are a unit while pledging. There is no "I". take that into consideration if you are serious about pledging. U don't want a bad link keeping you on line forever

Frats are not worth it IMO. a party or 2 every week and hours upon hours of cleaning meeting and living with a bunch of dirty dudes

I wouldn't dare. One of my friends from school who graduated before me died in a hazing incindent. It was news for a little while, a kid name George Desdunes from Cornell. I just don't want anything to do with them (and that's already after I had a strong anti-Frat stance). I think they serve no real function other than to get drunk.

Its a phase in life, like everything else is. Im actually a neo, Fall 11, and its pretty crazy. World gets that much smaller, you meet a lot of people, make good friends and biddies fa days.. Roadtripping, partying, a bunch of stuff to help me enjoy college, before everything in life gets serious.
With that being said, greek life isnt for everyone.

looking forward to my neo summer
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

PhiA, Since 1931.

Originally Posted by datdude0903

Its a phase in life, like everything else is. Im actually a neo, Fall 11, and its pretty crazy. World gets that much smaller, you meet a lot of people, make good friends and biddies fa days.. Roadtripping, partying, a bunch of stuff to help me enjoy college, before everything in life gets serious.
With that being said, greek life isnt for everyone.

looking forward to my neo summer
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

PhiA, Since 1931.

Sure buddy.
eyes.gif

I agree with a lot of what has been said here. Pledging isn't for everyone. It loses its "flare" after awhile IMO. I pledged when I was a freshmen and I must admit that it made college so much better, but after my first year it just wasnt the same.

Love my frat though. I can count on them for anything and the older prophytes have so much wisdom. Something I'll never regret.

LUL , Binghamton University

Check the sig. Best decision I've ever made. Was such a growing experience for me.

Originally Posted by Skateboard

Are all the people in frats even greek?

for serious?
laugh.gif

Real talk tho... Don't join a predominantly white fraternity unless you want a bunch of guys sticking carrots up your butt... then proceed to call you gay.

...so i've heard
frown.gif

clearly not. it's just that greek culture is looked at as a sort of pinnacle of ideas on enlightenment which is why societies have organized themselves based on their plans. 
People do realize that greek culture is a throwback to something else as well as that coming from something much older. 

fun back in college but those days are behind.

proud of my org and even prouder that my chapter are now the top org on campus.

its always fun bumping into brothers/alums from all over and bs'ing it up. also great networking tool.

IHSV

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

for serious?
laugh.gif

Real talk tho... Don't join a predominantly white fraternity unless you want a bunch of guys sticking carrots up your butt... then proceed to call you gay.
...so i've heard
frown.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Man, my friends in black frats have told me about crazy stuff, but my friends in white frats have told me some straight foul out of line violating stuff
laugh.gif

Like "Wait, you had to put what...where?" "You had to suck...what, off of...who?" "How many people were in this room?" "
indifferent.gif
sick.gif
alien.gif

roll.gif
"

Originally Posted by MoonMan818

for serious?
laugh.gif

...so i've heard
frown.gif
Hate to say it, but you are right. greek brotherhood (fraternus) stems from traditional homosexual behavior.
A lot of great greek and other European war leaders were fervent homosexuals.  Alexander the Great for example. They felt it increased the bond between warriors who were away from home for long bouts. This is why they would do anything for their brother; because more often they were lovers on the battlefield. 

Much of this behavior still carries on, but behind closed doors. Still comes out from time to time but it's not as openly accepted as it used to be.

Back
Top Bottom