Graphic Designers of NT, Come Hither.

Originally Posted by DUB 253

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by StuntHard

I've found that if you want to do graphic design for a living, it would be in your best interest to pick up some web design skills as well. As much as I love design, it just doesnt afford me the standard of living that I would like. However, when I brushed up on my CSS/jquery/PHP skills, I could offer more services to my clients, as well as charge more. Now I'm getting 3x what I was making just a year ago, and have alot more work coming my way. I don't like coding, but I do like money, as it affords me more time to do what I wanna do and sing the songs I like to sing.

I digress, post more designs and I'll get back to y'all with some info on the contest. I have some supreme gear and pine foams I'm thinking about throwing down just to see this jump off properly.

True. Graphic design as a profession got hit hard with the economy going down. No one wants to pay top dollar for services unless you are the best of the best. Web is where it's at and print design is becoming a lost art. If you do design, make sure to go with the times too. Flash was huge 10 years ago and not everything is CSS or blog style sites. And yes...coding sucks and I learned just from trial and error.
THIS

I also suggest you guys all learn WordPress as well.

I love design, but I'm not about that starving artist life...
30t6p3b.gif

Knowing your HTML and CSS is crucial at this point in the game.
!!!!!!
When I was interning in NYC over the summer I had no job, no income. 

I had to go to Craigslist and look for Graphic Design Gigs and I realized I'd make SOOOOO much more money if I was proficient in Web Design.

I only know basic HTML. I remember setting up my Wordpress was such a headache. 
laugh.gif

Best believe I was/am living that starving artist lifestyle. Thank God for beats.

It should be noted, there's a difference between a graphic designer and a digital artist/illustrator.

You can certainly be both (and most designers these days do incorporate some form of illustration in their work), but being an illustrator doesnt necessarily make you a designer.

Just thought id throw that out there.

^^^^^True again. There is a whole side of design we are not even touching yet. Design is form and function. Like not only does it have to look appropriate but it has to convey "that message" to the audience you are making it for. Designers are problem solvers and you have to go into a project trying to solve something that wasn’t properly done right whether it is with a logo, a product design or even a website. And this isn’t even touching the business side of design, especially for you freelance designers out there. When you take on projects, you have to setup proper contracts for deadlines, drafts, showing preliminary mock ups, and even do follow ups on making sure your product is exactly how the customer wants it. People might have the design skills down but you really need it all when it comes to this profession.

Also if there is one advice I can give to anyone that is in school for this, intern or even find a job on the side that relates to your major. By the last year in school, you should be setting up your portfolio and it looks so much better to have legit stuff on your resume as apposed to school projects.

And a side note, I'd just like to add that I am not a graphic designer but I did go to school for it and got a degree and became one of those guys that eventually didn't persue it as a career. I'll be glad to give any tips to people so they can pretty much not end up where I am.

Just saw this on Hypebeast which ultimately lead me to her portfolio website.

a-day-with-sophia-chang-18-big.jpg

This is Sophia Chang which is a designer who did/does work for Complex, Undefeated and that show No Reservation. She was kind of gassed up on this post a whole back (http://niketalk.com/topic...vol-Sophia-Chang?page=1) and she did a day in the life here (http://hypebeast.com/2011...day-with-sophia-chang/).

Pretty good flow of work and most important, most of her stuff turned into tangible items whether printed in mags or printed as a poster.

I thought this was good:

USdesert.jpg

http://esymai.com/

Great thread... good to see fellow NTers utilizing their gifts and being passionate about their craft.  Just curious, but whats the going rate for a logo re-design/re-fresh?  I realize that something like that varies, and may be sensitive in nature, so if you guys wanna PM me thats cool.  Thinking about working on the site a bit, and trying to do some due diligence. 
Thanks

St. 

so glad I found this thread, im down! I am well acquainted with Illustrator and photoshop, but havent done a detailed vector in forever. here's some of my stuff

22f6998804035e7239ef5de9a029ac4f.jpg

868b1465a6b11e8cc4cf35a84955666b.jpg

fc3c72da72d1ed7490d6032a961e85b6.jpg

d85110685e684f98a8e635f54e5afb1e.jpg

f876959ee2446abe99cf04d5f9475459.jpg

e9b8a0e837533ca7d1e804a2188ef0ab.jpg

c79ba3136a7617027dbacaba83da6e5c.jpg

nothing special but it has gotten me a few jobs and internships.

How important is drawing in graphic design exactly? Not for school, just to do it period. I do it recreationally now(I'm a huuuuge newb compared to you guys
eek.gif
), I plan on going to school for it next year, but if I can learn enough and get good enough at it, I'll probably just go for something else. And what are some good places for illustrator tutorials? I watch some stuff on youtube, but I kinda feel lost on them. What are some good guidelines and things to remember? I'd rather go to the NT/Youtube school and learn than pay at a local university.
laugh.gif

Good stuff sthebest.

Originally Posted by th3kid

How important is drawing in graphic design exactly? Not for school, just to do it period. I do it recreationally now(I'm a huuuuge newb compared to you guys
eek.gif
), I plan on going to school for it next year, but if I can learn enough and get good enough at it, I'll probably just go for something else. And what are some good places for illustrator tutorials? I watch some stuff on youtube, but I kinda feel lost on them. What are some good guidelines and things to remember? I'd rather go to the NT/Youtube school and learn than pay at a local university.
laugh.gif

I think a good sense of drawing and art is recommended but isn't necessarily required in design. The design process does suggest for people to create sketch mock-ups but I have seen people do it all on the computer rather then on paper. I was pretty surprised how many people in my classes back in college couldn't draw if their life depended on it but can whip out a whole website like it was nothing.

Also on the flip side, good artists don't necessarily translate to good designers as well. As stated back, design and illustration are two separate things. Design has a lot of meaning behind the work as apposed to illustrations just having that "cool factor".

th3kid.....are you in high school still? Definitely do some research on design and see if it is for you. I would say more then half of the people that go into design don't come out as designers as a profession. If I can go back in time, I would have majored in fine arts if I could. I wish I could draw as well as I did but I kind of lost it when I got into design.

I don't think its necessary to tell everyone that they 'need' to learn css/html/wordpress/jquery/java/etc for design. They should have a great understanding of the capabilities, though. And it should be noted and clear that it really depends on what you want to do.

If you plan on being a web designer, then yes. But if you plan on only doing the front end, there are plenty of companies that pay designers who don't do any code. And there are plenty of companies who just hire developers. The hybrids are nice, but as you get older and more experience, expertise in one area is better than being good in two areas. Again, it depends on what you're doing. If you're freelancing or run your own company, then yes you better be able to do both or know a good developer who can be your partner. But if you're freelancing with an agency, theres plenty of places who just need designers. At my company, I have 3 designers, 1 illustrator, and 2 production artists under me, all who rarely ever touch any code, since we have our own development team specifically for that. It does increase your value though, if you can do all of that.

Also, in regards to web, theres the front end design, but don't forget about UI/UX. People who specialize in those areas will be in high demand. Information architecture has always been around, but as the interactive industry moves forward, those two are highly specialized and focused people employers want. Interaction design, more specifically than just standard web design is something that should be looked into.

And if you're really just into making money, then yes, become a developer/engineer. You won't do much design, except taking designs that they give you and making them work, or more back end kind of stuff, but they will always make more money. At some point some people realize they just arent creative or its not for them, and thats not a bad thing.
Also, regarding school, I think it is definitely worth it for the foundation and principles you probably won't learn online. If you goto a historic school like Art Center, Parsons, Pratt, SVA, RISD or AIC...then you should come out top notch if you make the most out of it. More so than places like AI or FIDM or Full Sail....and not a knock on those schools, but it just seems like those are more technical learning that you could just learn from tutorials online versus learning actual theory and real problem solving from masters of their craft at these prestigious schools. Again, find out what fits you and why you're interested in what you do. Some dudes are real analytical, about the process, about the methodology and the message, and some just love to create stuff. They may be the same, but they can be very different depending on how you learned. 

presequel wrote:
Also, regarding school, I think it is definitely worth it for the foundation and principles you probably won't learn online. If you goto a historic school like Art Center, Parsons, Pratt, SVA, RISD or AIC...then you should come out top notch if you make the most out of it. More so than places like AI or FIDM or Full Sail....and not a knock on those schools, but it just seems like those are more technical learning that you could just learn from tutorials online versus learning actual theory and real problem solving from masters of their craft at these prestigious schools. Again, find out what fits you and why you're interested in what you do. Some dudes are real analytical, about the process, about the methodology and the message, and some just love to create stuff. They may be the same, but they can be very different depending on how you learned. 

THIS is where the value of a real education comes in. Anyone can learn the basics (and even the advanced components) of 'design' software, but great design is much less about the cool tricks you know in PS or AI, and very much more about your solid grasp of the foundation of good design. And once you have a solid understanding of sound design principles, you can begin to develop your own style and aesthetic. 

Good stuff sthebest.

eek.gif
laugh.gif

I think a good sense of drawing and art is recommended but isn't necessarily required in design. The design process does suggest for people to create sketch mock-ups but I have seen people do it all on the computer rather then on paper. I was pretty surprised how many people in my classes back in college couldn't draw if their life depended on it but can whip out a whole website like it was nothing.

Also on the flip side, good artists don't necessarily translate to good designers as well. As stated back, design and illustration are two separate things. Design has a lot of meaning behind the work as apposed to illustrations just having that "cool factor".

th3kid.....are you in high school still? Definitely do some research on design and see if it is for you. I would say more then half of the people that go into design don't come out as designers as a profession. If I can go back in time, I would have majored in fine arts if I could. I wish I could draw as well as I did but I kind of lost it when I got into design.

Thanks bro, your stuff is AMAZING. if you were in charge for Fubu's creative direction, they'd be at the top of the streetwear world
pimp.gif

Mr. Fongstarr has a good point. You don't need to start all graphic design with sketching, but it is a good idea and i highly recommend it. What I usually do is create a series of rough drafts in Illiustrator when I do a logo and analyze what works and what doesn't. Or if a customer gives me a idea of what they want, I organize everything according to their specs and I visualize how the elements will look best on screen.

If you want to break into design, do your research and try to go to a reputable art school. You'll learn more than if you studied design at a regular art school. I myself went to Columbia College in Chicago, one of the best schools in the nation supposedly for the Arts. I do recommend learning at least XHTML and CSS if you want to be in demand as a designer th3kid. It's hard breaking into the design field, but as soon as you tell someone that you know how to put together websites and have experience in it, their interest perks up.

^^^^Just to clarify, I didn't do those FUBU designs. That was done by the 123 Klan. I only did that flame thing that I posted in the first page....which is meh.

And I going to post my old stuff later. I just found it on my hardrive on my old computer.

keeping my eyes on this thread. I'm a graphic design major right but haven't really got into illustrator just yet. Pretty good in photoshop but still amateur at best. A lot of your guys work is super dope.

The timing of this thread is perfect.

I am a DJ and have been getting a lot of gigs recently. However, I do not have a website or logo to legitimately represent myself. I am willing to invest a good amount of money into a proper logo and website.

I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion in finding artists who make logos or websites or both. Is there a website where artists post their work and you can contact & contract them? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Bookmarked!

I am looking for someone to design a logo for my company... would any of you guys be interested in doing it or could point me to where I can find some to do it?

For those people looking to have some work done, im just gonna leave this here...
venn_diagram_jpg_scaled1000.3490lvqcz1icwsw0kcwc88kg0.31ymzr69yias0gg0cgwsk44sg.th.jpeg

Fongstar - Just wanted to say I am blown away by your work. I wish I could do that kind of stuff.

Good stuff sthebest.

eek.gif
laugh.gif

Nahh. I'm a freshman at a community college now just to get my grades up. But I know I wanna get into design. I was gonna go to a more expensive arts school in my area, but if I can learn enough before the fall semester next year, I can just go to a different school for something else I wanna go school for, like business. 

This is a great idea for a thread - def interested in contributing. Some really good work & advice given!
Example of my illustrator illustrations:

And an example of my design work:

*Not official for Johnny Cupcakes - just fan art*

Back
Top Bottom