Goodbye, 2010 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON - twas a great year,

sorry if late:

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Rutgers' Eric LeGrand gives interview[/h2]

By Kieran Darcy
ESPNNewYork.com
Archive

NEW YORK -- Eric LeGrand, the Rutgers defensive tackle who was paralyzed from the neck down in a game against Army on Oct. 16, says he has regained full sensation in his entire body and movement in his shoulders.

LeGrand, 22, revealed the news in an exclusive first interview with ESPN's Tom Rinaldi, which will debut during the 9 a.m. ET edition of "SportsCenter" on Friday.

The 6-foot-2, 275-pound junior fractured his C-3 and C-4 vertebrae while making a tackle on a kickoff return and admitted in the interview that he feared for his life immediately after suffering the injury.

"Fear of death, that's the biggest fear that I got because I couldn't breathe the way I was breathing and I couldn't move," LeGrand said. "Laying out on the ground, motionless, not being able to breathe was the hardest part in thinking, can I die here?"

After nine hours of emergency surgery to stabilize LeGrand's spine, doctors initially gave him a 0-5 percent chance of regaining neurologic function. LeGrand's mother, Karen, said that she never gave him that information.

"I didn't want to hear that two percent of the people with this injury can walk, or five percent regain this, or -- I didn't want to hear about percentages because my son, in all honesty, is not a percentage," Karen said. "My son is my son. ... And nobody knows him, nobody knows the will that he has, nobody knows the faith that we have."

Six days after surgery, LeGrand first moved his shoulders. In early November, he was taken off a ventilator and was breathing on his own. He was transferred to the Kessler Institute in West Orange, N.J., to continue his rehabilitation.

In mid-December, LeGrand had another breakthrough. For the first time since the injury, he had sensation in his hands.

"I always rub his hands as he's laying there," Karen said, "and I think he said, 'I feel that. I think I feel that.' I'm like, what are you talking about? He's like, 'I think I feel something -- you rubbing my hands. I can feel my hands.'"

"As my mom, she placed her hand on me, I was like, 'Wow! I felt that.' And that was just a big shock and it was just like, 'Wow! It's coming back. It's coming back.'"

LeGrand remains at the Kessler Institute, and still faces a long and difficult road ahead, in terms of his rehabilitation. But he is brimming with optimism.

"I believe that I will walk one day," LeGrand said. "I believe it. God has a plan for me and I know it's not to be sitting here all the time. I know he has something planned better for me."

Good for him....I Wouldn't argue against him coming out, but he's serious about his degree and that's pretty cool.

Darren Evans declared for the draft (big shock
laugh.gif
) I think Ryan Williams will probably also declare in the next couple days/this week.
DE's delusional though; he said he thinks he's going in the "3rd-5th round, not 6th or 7th." I like him a lot as a college RB but I don't think he'll do much in the league and I doubt anyone takes a chance on him before the 6th round. He'll run no better than 4.7 at the combine.

Dude is flushing millions upon millions of dollars down the toilet not coming out into the last scale-free draft...
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

But he went to Stanford for the sole purpose of having that degree, so more power to him I guess.

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

laugh.gif
) I think Ryan Williams will probably also declare in the next couple days/this week.
I don't know why but I never liked either of them, i always wanted to see D. Wilson on the field at all times
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jville819

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

laugh.gif
I don't know why but I never liked either of them, i always wanted to see D. Wilson on the field at all times
laugh.gif
Williams was the best of the three before he got injured this year. He hasn't been right all year, just when he was getting closer to 100% he tweaked it again. 
I'm glad we didn't RS Wilson, but we don't use him correctly. We have a 3 RB rotation and as hard as this is to believe, we don't sub the RB's based upon the playcall/situation; we run the same play blindly without considering how it plays to that RB's strength. So Wilson had a bunch of inside runs where he ran into a brick wall; while Evans had some stretch plays that would have been more suited to Wilson. 

I think our running game next year could actually be better with just Wilson and whoever's backing him up in there. The rotation we had this year was stupid. I think I said on here after watching our fall scrimmages that Wilson had the talent to win a Heisman. I still think he'll be really good, but my opinion was clouded by how small and weak our D was this year; Wilson was ABUSING those guys in the scrimmage
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I can't believe Andrew Luck is staying at Stanford. Dude is literally throwing like 60 to 70 million down the drain. Whhhhhy?

EDIT- Have y'all seen some of scouts new female reporters too? Trying to be the farm league for future Erin Andrews'.

Kristen Kenney:                                                                   Laura McKeeman:

images

827927.jpg

SORT-OF-WANT.jpg

Statement from Rich Rod
“I am proud of the dedication and commitment exhibited by the coaching staff and student-athletes who have represented the University of Michigan football program over the last three seasons.  While I am disappointed to depart Ann Arbor before we were able to reach the level of success we had in our sights, I am confident that the players who remain have the potential to do great things and to return the Wolverines to greatness.  I would like to thank our fans and our student body for their tremendous support. There is great passion for Michigan football and I have made lifelong friends through this experience.

Originally Posted by jville819

Is ESPN grooming Greg McElroy to become an analyst while dude is still in college? These guys
laugh.gif

McElroy is done. He graduated already. Doubt he's even enrolled at Bama for the spring semester. And his playing days are over...so he might as well get his broadcast career started.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Dude is flushing millions upon millions of dollars down the toilet not coming out into the last scale-free draft...
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

But he went to Stanford for the sole purpose of having that degree, so more power to him I guess.

2010 was the last draft w/o the rookie salary cap. Whether he comes out this year or next he still aint getting Sam Bradford money because the NFL will have a new CBA in place.

It's not that dumb of a decision really. His family is already rich. He'll get a degree from Stanford. And he avoids going to that BS Panther franchise.

Sam Bradford got hurt and still went #1. For a QB the only thing that will really hurt him staying is if he plays like %#%%. Like Jake Locker did. But Luck is the goods so I doubt he'll have to worry about that.

Fear The Ibis wrote:

And he avoids going to that BS Panther franchise.

not sure he can avoid this.. i'll put good money on it, that the panthers will be in the running for #1 pick again next year

Back
Top Bottom