For those against Auto Leasing, can you give me your reasons why?

Originally Posted by pworld10

Originally Posted by Al Audi

IMO if its a car i know i do not want to keep (will want the next new thing), and i can use it for work (i work in the aftermarket auto industry, and can write it off under business), or its a more expensive car (unless its a limited model, it will depreciate like hell once u drive it off the lot. i.e. mercedes) I would lease. I am currently in my first lease ever, and love the peace of mind i have that in 3 years i can get something new and fresh, and i don't have to worry about the longevity of what i have now. I drive it i do not baby it.

Only time i will buy if its certified pre-owned. That way I let the person who bought it new off the late take the biggest depreciation hit. Their loss, not mines. Or if its under 10k of course.
all your maintenance is covered too? 

Yes, i got audi care. It was a no brainer. Lowered my residual 1 percent as well. so almost paid for itself. 

yessir 
pimp.gif

you said you work in the aftermarket auto industry......

did you put wheels on your lease? i actually plan on doing that then, putting the stocks back on upon return in pristine condition

Plus, remember that you don't own a damn thing, until that pink slip is in your hand. And you have paid in full. I know many people that by that definition never owned a car. They always have a car note, finance, or lease. *shrugs* My last car i bought certified pre-owned. When i wanted to trade it in for something new it was a hassle. With the lease, i just see whats coming out end of 2014 for 2015 model year. And I'm praying the new M3 coupe is out by then!! or the new S4

i believe that a3 sedan is comin out around that time also
im just a sucker for small cars i dunno what it is......an im not even a small dude 
laugh.gif

all your maintenance is covered too? 

Yes, i got audi care. It was a no brainer. Lowered my residual 1 percent as well. so almost paid for itself. 

yessir 
pimp.gif

did you put wheels on your lease? i actually plan on doing that then, putting the stocks back on upon return in pristine condition

Yep, i have wheels, its lowered (actually testing one of our coil-overs on it now), and even has a Intake that was R&D'd on it by another major tuning company. I have a mod friendly dealer near me. They don't snitch lol. All the mods are bolt on and removable. I was going to tune the car, but......AUDI just cracked down severely on all tuning(especially in the new S4 market, which is what I'm in) and can detect it. I'm glad i waited. So if u do mod your car go on the forums and check and see what experiences others have had. Every brand is a little different. Just make sure you can put all the original stuff back on in pristine condition, and if you take it to the dealer to get serviced find out who is a mod friendly dealer in your area. 

i can def see leasing if you stay in a big city with nice public transportation....

yessir 
pimp.gif

Yep, i have wheels, its lowered (actually testing one of our coil-overs on it now), and even has a Intake that was R&D'd on it by another major tuning company. I have a mod friendly dealer near me. They don't snitch lol. All the mods are bolt on and removable. I was going to tune the car, but......AUDI just cracked down severely on all tuning(especially in the new S4 market, which is what I'm in) and can detect it. I'm glad i waited. So if u do mod your car go on the forums and check and see what experiences others have had. Every brand is a little different. Just make sure you can put all the original stuff back on in pristine condition, and if you take it to the dealer to get serviced find out who is a mod friendly dealer in your area. 
yes, im well aware of all of this
grin.gif
audizine forums and such
wheels should never be a problem though correct? 

Originally Posted by Mr Marcus

i can def see leasing if you stay in a big city with nice public transportation....

Yup, I live in SF so I pretty much never need to drive anywhere unless I'm going to visit a friend who lives outside of the Bay Area. I've put less than 2K miles on my car in the past 12 months
pimp.gif

yessir 
pimp.gif

grin.gif
audizine forums and such
only time wheels can be a problem is if you are having problems with steering or suspension. they might try to blame the wheels. But usually u can just slap the stocks back on before taking it to the dealer. but for regular service and stuff? nope!

yessir 
pimp.gif

grin.gif
audizine forums and such

Nope. It's actually better because when you put the stock back on, it'll be like new and they won't charge you for new tires (yeah some dealerships will charge you if the tires are really worn out). Just don't go crazy with the wheel set-up, make sure there isn't rubbing or you might get dinged for that.

RFX45 has a good point. I know my stocks will be back on the car with no more than 200 miles on them! one less thing to worry about on return. Just store them safely

Thanks for the feedback. An yea I like aftermarket wheels to begin with an it makes sense to take wear/tear curb damage off the stocks.

Yall dudes must live next door to your jobs or something driving 2500 miles a year
laugh.gif
. I just hear a bunch of trying to justify a car you can't really afford so you lease. I just hope you ain't leasing a 328, A4 2.0, C250 etc if you're gonna lease make sure you LEASE
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by 703 Hwy

Yall dudes must live next door to your jobs or something driving 2500 miles a year
laugh.gif

Or some just have other cars on rotation. I have a daily driver and a weekend car. Looking to add an SUV or a crossover too for hauling stuff and going outdoors (summer approaching) so that is the 3rd vehicle on rotation.

I'm not too worried about the miles either because I have a DD also, I plan to keep the car garaged during the winter also.

Originally Posted by BigLescobar

LOL at people wanting to say they own a car fully in their name like its an appreciating asset.....A car is the worst investment you can own in your name, it goes down in value everyday and requires money to maintain just to keep it functional.....With leasing you are paying for the depreciation instead of paying for the car and absorbing the depreciation and with most companies now you dont have to pay to maintain or service the car during the duration of the lease as well....There is no one right or wrong answer it all depends on your personal situation car wise and finance wise......What makes sense for one person may not make sense for another person so its really up to the individual to do whats right for their situation

When I get a new car I lease it and I am able to write the entire monthly payment off as a business expense, when financing you cannot do this.....But when I buy a high end used car I pay cash and buy it outright....

Well put.

Sounds like its best to lease of its not your sole source of transportation.

I'm in Texas,so 12k goes in 6 months easy ...

I'd lease if I had a paid for beater, or a motorcycle or road trains/buses alot.

Quick question...

Does leasing help build your credit?

Originally Posted by BigLescobar

LOL at people wanting to say they own a car fully in their name like its an appreciating asset.....A car is the worst investment you can own in your name, it goes down in value everyday and requires money to maintain just to keep it functional.....With leasing you are paying for the depreciation instead of paying for the car and absorbing the depreciation and with most companies now you dont have to pay to maintain or service the car during the duration of the lease as well....There is no one right or wrong answer it all depends on your personal situation car wise and finance wise......What makes sense for one person may not make sense for another person so its really up to the individual to do whats right for their situation

When I get a new car I lease it and I am able to write the entire monthly payment off as a business expense, when financing you cannot do this.....But when I buy a high end used car I pay cash and buy it outright....
The point is not that you own a depreciating asset outright. It's that you're not paying extra on a depreciating asset. When you pay cash, you have equity in the asset and can dispose of it much sooner if needed than if you finance and are underwater for the first year or two. If you lease, it's even worse because you will have to contact the dealership to find the early payoff just to get the pink slip which can be a complete pain.

You don't need to lease a car to get a tax write off. If you pay cash, you can take the straight line depreciation on the vehicle if it's bought in the name of the business.

Leasing is the most expensive way to operate a vehicle. Have you guys ever wondered why all of the dealership commercials advertise the low monthly rates of their leases instead of financing rates or the sticker price? It's pretty much a guaranteed way of always having a car payment and getting repeat business from you on a consistent basis.

Originally Posted by crcballer55

Leasing is the most expensive way to operate a vehicle. 

No it is not. At least not in every case/scenario. It's not always the best but it is also not always the worst. 
And once again you overlook that not everyone is the same way, not everyone wants to pay cash on a used vehicle. Not everyone wants to deal with the same car for longer than 3 years or when the warranty expires. You have good insights and advice sometimes but your point of view are skewed at times because you look at it purely of how much money you save on a given time but do not consider others needs and wants.

Originally Posted by RFX45

No it is not. At least not in every case/scenario. It's not always the best but it is also not always the worst. 
And once again you overlook that not everyone is the same way, not everyone wants to pay cash on a used vehicle. Not everyone wants to deal with the same car for longer than 3 years or when the warranty expires. You have good insights and advice sometimes but your point of view are skewed at times because you look at it purely of how much money you save on a given time but do not consider others needs and wants.

What are the scenarios where it's not more expensive? Both Consumer Reports & Smart Money agree that it's the most expensive way to operate a vehicle in part because you're guaranteed to always have a payment.

I'm well aware that not everyone "wants" to pay cash, which is why 92% of new cars purchases are financed/leased. But I'll contend that in most cases it's because people don't want to wait long enough to save enough to pay cash. Most people would rather have a new car every couple years instead of banking what would have been the payment and investing it in something that grows over time. If you get a quality car, you don't need to worry about the warranty. I've had the same care for almost 8 years now and the worth thing about it was a leaky AC unit which was easily repairable.

Originally Posted by 703 Hwy

laugh.gif
. I just hear a bunch of trying to justify a car you can't really afford so you lease. I just hope you ain't leasing a 328, A4 2.0, C250 etc if you're gonna lease make sure you LEASE
pimp.gif
I walk 8 minutes to the BART, and then take a 10 minute train to work. I won't drive for 30 minutes through congested city streets and then pay for monthly parking, when my daily commute costs  $3.50. I don't drink and drive, so I take cabs when I'm coming home after going out. All of this = me never driving unless I'm visiting family in San Jose or my friends who live in Stockton= ~2000 miles in 12 months
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by RFX45

What are the scenarios where it's not more expensive? Both Consumer Reports & Smart Money agree that it's the most expensive way to operate a vehicle in part because you're guaranteed to always have a payment.

I'm well aware that not everyone "wants" to pay cash, which is why 92% of new cars purchases are financed/leased. But I'll contend that in most cases it's because people don't want to wait long enough to save enough to pay cash. Most people would rather have a new car every couple years instead of banking what would have been the payment and investing it in something that grows over time. If you get a quality car, you don't need to worry about the warranty. I've had the same care for almost 8 years now and the worth thing about it was a leaky AC unit which was easily repairable.

Just read the thread. People who do not want to hold on to cars for longer than 3 years has the best benefit for leasing. Financing the car for 5 years and trying to sell it in 3 years makes it more expensive. While it seats on your driveway as you wait for it to sell, it loses value and you will keep paying on it.  Not to mention that maintenance tends to be free on leases, that is at least $200-$1,000 on your pocket right there depending on the car. Lease prices tend to be lower than financed ones and again lower tax, you are taxed on monthly payment so you aren't paying tax for the whole cars selling price. This is situational and not everyone will not be in the same scenario but there are situations where it is better to lease. 
As for getting a quality car, of course everyone wants that but your idea of just getting a reliable car isn't realistic or else everyone would be driving Toyotas and Hondas. 

And as for paying cash, it really is much easier to tell people to save up than actually doing it. Average new car these days ~$30k in the US, not many can save up that much just to throw it on a car in one seating and be left with nothing. Are we all better off not buying new? Sure but that isn't the discussion here so that point is moot. Like you said, investing is a good way to go. If a person has $30k, he can finance a $30k car with a $10k downpayment and invest the $20k. That is better than throwing the whole $30k on a car and slowly investing whatever it is he/she has leftover from their paycheck. Again, should a person who can barely afford a $30k car be buying a $30k car? Most likely not but again that is a whole different discussion altogether. 

I just recently bought a new car, and from what I researched, leasing was a good option for me. The payments are lower, and the fact that I have basically zero maintence was a plus. Mileage would've been an issue, but if I get a new car after the lease is up, there's no extra charge.

Have you guys ever wondered why all of the dealership commercials advertise the low monthly rates of their leases instead of financing rates or the sticker price?

And actually, this is done because it is usually makes the car sound cheaper than it is. Is it the sole purpose? Probably not.
A lease price is a solid number they can provide and advertise ($300 a month for a BMW, doesn't that sound good?) plus it's usually a program or promotion the car company has nationwide. For example, a $300/month lease on a new 328i is set by BMW themselves so the price is set for every BMW dealerships. You'll also notice that this is done but luxury car commercials more often since it makes the price of the luxury car more reasonable. If there is a low apr set by the car manufacturer and their credit department, they advertise that too just like VW 0.9% apr back in December. 
Do dealerships prefer their buyers lease cars? Of course, they get the vehicle back and price hike the hell out of it for the second owner so eventually they make more money. But at the end of the lease and you want to buy, you can usually negotiate a lower residual value because they want to keep you as a customer for future purchases. 

Back
Top Bottom