FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

I don't if any of you in here watch those chef shows. I like Top Chef on Bravo, and I used to like Hells Kitchen with Gordon Ramsey. Gordan has this show called Master Chef Jr. with kids from ages 8-13. It is amazing to these kids cooking and doing the challenges the same way the adult chefs do.

Very talented kids.
The kids' attention to detail and some of their pallets are just completely well seasoned beyond their age. That chubby kid with curly hair(forgot his name) he's making restaurant quality dishes(those sliders and fried kale chips he made last episode) and understanding flavors and textures at age 13, truly amazing. 

As for shows I do watch, public television is a gold mine. Mexico: One Plate at a Time with Rick Bayless(my favorite chef), America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Country, Made In Spain with Jose Andres, Simply Ming with Ming Tsai, and Avec Eric with Eric Ripert. They're really great at teaching technique and they're all really respected chefs in the culinary world.

Top chef is really fun to watch( especially Top Chef Masters) and Great Food Truck Race with Tyler Florence is definitely one of my guilty pleasures.

I don't if any of you in here watch those chef shows. I like Top Chef on Bravo, and I used to like Hells Kitchen with Gordon Ramsey. Gordan has this show called Master Chef Jr. with kids from ages 8-13. It is amazing to these kids cooking and doing the challenges the same way the adult chefs do.

Very talented kids.
Iron chef, chopped, cut throat kitchen, bizarre foods, no reservation, and food truck wars are some food shows I watch.

Those kids are something else, though that fat white girl kinda annoys me.

^^Nice!! Always eating good

Eggz Benedict frm Mission Beach Cafe in San Francisco

Crab eggz Benedict frm Mama's cafe in San Francisco

La Mer Benedict(crab) frm Zazie's in San Francisco

Th Exchange Student(mac n cheese with sriracha and bacon) frm Homeroom in Oakland

Menage A Trois frm Ike's in Walnut Creek

shake shack is average at best, I've had way better burgers at Grand Lux, 5 Napkin burger, and Jackson Hole....

Where in LI are you from?

Made espresso-nutella macarons last night with my brother's fiance. 
Came out a little flat, but they still tasted good. Gotta work on my baking game!

Been trying to step my baking game up as well. Care to share the recipe?

Last edited:
^^Nice!! Always eating good

Crab eggz Benedict frm Mama's cafe in San Francisco

La Mer Benedict(crab) frm Zazie's in San Francisco

]

which of these had the best crab benedict? tried the one at just for you cafe, it was alright, but the hollandaise was lacking in lemon.

Menace, If you're ever in the South Bay hit up Bill's Cafe or Los Gatos Cafe. They got some great crab benedicts.

Some food from the last couple of months...

Homemade Catfish plus fixins...

Homemade Chocolate Chip Calzone...

Homemade Italian Bake (think of a Supreme Pizza casserole)...

Homemade Loaded Chicken and Potato Casserole (think Potato Skins appetizer)...

Yellow Noodles and Bread...

Dat Lechon mass...

RIP Porky...

Homemade steak and eggs...

Homemade Chicken Adobo omelette...

Chicken Katsu and Kalua Pork...

Oreo Cookies and Cream...

Slater's 50/50... (crappy phone pic)

Homemade BBQ Chicken sliders on Hawaiian Bread, BBQ baked beans and Sea Salt/Pepper kettle chips...

Repped, thanks for the contribution fellas.

Had a banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich) for breakfast and now enjoying some Hong Kong milk tea...Good day :smokin!

Repped, thanks for the contribution fellas.

Had a banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich) for breakfast and now enjoying some Hong Kong milk tea...Good day
smokin.gif
!
I'm gonna assume you're vietnamese, did you get banh mi thit nuong? Grew up on that stuff from Banh Mi Cali in Westminster 
laugh.gif
 But that sounds like a wonderful day. My parents tell me everytime I get milk tea that they used to drink Hong Kong Style milk tea and ate dim sum every day  when they stayed in HK after leaving Vietnam..and that nothing we have in the states will even come close to real HK style milk tea. 
[h3]http://www.italianfoodforever.com/2009/09/coffee-macarons-with-nutella-ganache/[/h3]
there ya go! 

"Just Fried Rice". Guppy Tea House. Anaheim Hills, Ca

Popcorn Chicken. Guppy Tea House. Anaheim Hills, Ca 
pimp.gif

Caramel Brick Toast. Guppy Tea House. Anaheim, Ca

Strawberry Shaved Ice. Guppy Tea House. Anaheim, Ca

Kobe Brisket. Gen Korean BBQ. Tustin, Ca

Kim Chi and Side dishes. Gen Korean BBQ. Tustin, Ca

Yup, I'm Vietnamese.

Unfortunately, I don't speak a lick of it nor understand the language. My dad left Vietnam during the war and nothing much stuck with him except the basics of the language/culture.

It was just a BBQ pork sandwich :lol:. Where do you stay? I live in San Francisco, so there are a few spots that have good, smiliar, MT that can be comparable to HK.

Edit: Looks like you're from Anaheim/LA - I'm sure there are some spots that have authentic HK MT! I thoroughly enjoyed Guppy House last time I went.

Last edited:
Yup, I'm Vietnamese.

Unfortunately, I don't speak a lick of it nor understand the language. My dad left Vietnam during the war and nothing much stuck with him except the basics of the language/culture.

It was just a BBQ pork sandwich
laugh.gif
. Where do you stay? I live in San Francisco, so there are a few spots that have good, smiliar, MT that can be comparable to HK.

Edit: Looks like you're from Anaheim/LA - I'm sure there are some spots that have authentic HK MT! I thoroughly enjoyed Guppy House last time I went.
haha it's all good man. Thit Nuong= Grilled pork hahah. The grilled pork is always the go to banh mi. 

Whats some good asian places in SF( or anything in general)? Gonna be visiting some of my dental school friends in SF during the winter. I've always wanted to try Slanted Door, but paying that much for vietnamese food doesn't make sense to me 
laugh.gif

The closest thing my parents have said is good HKMT is from Ten Ren Tea. I thought it was bomb but I think my parents just wanna hype up HK for me so that I take them when I graduate and get my first paycheck.

And guppys is the spot! Satisfied the late night munchies on a weekly basis back in HS...and even now when I go home for the winter. Oh it's 1 am and I want some boba...let's walk to guppies 
laugh.gif

theyre opening up a guppies in my home city. right next to the 85 degrees bakery that just opened. all my city needs now is a BCD tofu house and you got your quintessential asian plaza :lol:

Food pics from my honeymoon in Madrid, Paris, and Barcelona:

iberico ham, potatoes, and fried eggs.

baby squid on toast.

churros and chocolate.

roasted pig.

foie gras.

cod and veal cheek.

razor clams.

pork jowl.

teriyaki roasted bone marrow.

squid ink risotto.

wild mushrooms, fried eggs, seared foie.

Last edited:
haha it's all good man. Thit Nuong= Grilled pork hahah. The grilled pork is always the go to banh mi. 
Whats some good asian places in SF( or anything in general)? Gonna be visiting some of my dental school friends in SF during the winter. I've always wanted to try Slanted Door, but paying that much for vietnamese food doesn't make sense to me :lol:  

The closest thing my parents have said is good HKMT is from Ten Ren Tea. I thought it was bomb but I think my parents just wanna hype up HK for me so that I take them when I graduate and get my first paycheck.

And guppys is the spot! Satisfied the late night munchies on a weekly basis back in HS...and even now when I go home for the winter. Oh it's 1 am and I want some boba...let's walk to guppies :lol:
I think ABC Bakery one in the sunset and one in Chinatown has good hot HK milk tea.

Also, Eggettes in the sunset (relatively close to ABC Bakery) has good cold milk tea.

I don't enjoy the heavily powdered milk teas that other places have -- I'd much rather go with eggettes.

If you do come to SF, do try a place called "T-pumps". I don't like half and half down in socal, thought it was disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom