FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Need a recipe for those potatoes.
Take 12 oz. of sliced bacon and cook in cast iron pan until crisp, place on paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Clean out cast iron and save the bacon fat for later use in the recipe.
Clean 4 large Russet potatoes and slice lengthwise on 1/16" setting of a mandolin, discarding end pieces
Mince shallots and garlic
Finely grate 16 oz parmesan cheese
When bacon cools, chop up finely into small bits

In a large bowl combine potato slices, shallots, garlic, parmesan, salt, pepper, and an entire carton of heavy cream. Mix thoroughly without breaking the potatoes and let sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Put a thin layer of bacon fat on the inside of the cast iron to grease it, then start shingling the potato slices inside the pan. I find it's better to start with a border on the walls of the cast iron, then build up from the bottom.

When about half of the potato slices are used, even them out in the pan so the surface is level. To that, add all of the crumbled bacon and distribute evenly. Continue to shingle potato slices in the pan until you're out of slices or the pan is sufficiently filled.

Pour remaining heavy cream mixture over potatoes. You want them to be entirely coated without being too soupy. Make sure you get all of the minced garlic and shallots while you scoop. Coat it with more grated parmesan, cover it in foil, and cook at 375 for 30 minutes.

Uncover it, cook another 30 minutes at 375, then broil the top until you reach your desired color.

Let rest uncovered, top with fresh chives, flourish.

*disclaimer: this was VERY labor-intensive. Imagine a potato baklava with the amount of layers. They were great, but they're reserved for special occasions moving forward. :lol: Total pain in the ***.

Man I never used a mandolin after I took a huge chunk out of my palm.

I’m good I’ll just cut it all with a knife just as fast and even.

1586145800916.jpeg

Got a come-up from my neighbor for Sunday dinner. She works in the restaurant industry and sold me nice box of meat from her steakhouse on the low while she's out of work. She also has chickens in her backyard so I'm getting fresh eggs on the regular now. Needless to say, loving the new neighborhood. :lol:

Made quick work of those ribeyes. Steak night with asparagus and potato gratin:

potato gratin dedicated to @RustyShackleford
0-2.jpg

0-1.jpg

0-3.jpg
75858B87-AFAE-4C81-AACF-72A1B664E3FC.gif

Take 12 oz. of sliced bacon and cook in cast iron pan until crisp, place on paper towel-lined plate and set aside. Clean out cast iron and save the bacon fat for later use in the recipe.
Clean 4 large Russet potatoes and slice lengthwise on 1/16" setting of a mandolin, discarding end pieces
Mince shallots and garlic
Finely grate 16 oz parmesan cheese
When bacon cools, chop up finely into small bits

In a large bowl combine potato slices, shallots, garlic, parmesan, salt, pepper, and an entire carton of heavy cream. Mix thoroughly without breaking the potatoes and let sit for 30 minutes to 1 hour.

Put a thin layer of bacon fat on the inside of the cast iron to grease it, then start shingling the potato slices inside the pan. I find it's better to start with a border on the walls of the cast iron, then build up from the bottom.

When about half of the potato slices are used, even them out in the pan so the surface is level. To that, add all of the crumbled bacon and distribute evenly. Continue to shingle potato slices in the pan until you're out of slices or the pan is sufficiently filled.

Pour remaining heavy cream mixture over potatoes. You want them to be entirely coated without being too soupy. Make sure you get all of the minced garlic and shallots while you scoop. Coat it with more grated parmesan, cover it in foil, and cook at 375 for 30 minutes.

Uncover it, cook another 30 minutes at 375, then broil the top until you reach your desired color.

Let rest uncovered, top with fresh chives, flourish.

*disclaimer: this was VERY labor-intensive. Imagine a potato baklava with the amount of layers. They were great, but they're reserved for special occasions moving forward. :lol: Total pain in the ***.
That’s how u make ur au gratin
No wonder it’s trash
Lemme school u right quick
Only lames use russet potatoes
Use golden ones

• 4 whole Golden Potatoes
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter, Softened
  • 1-1/2 cup Heavy Cream
  • 1/2 cup Whole Milk
  • 2 Tablespoons Flour
  • 4 cloves Garlic, Finely Minced
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • Freshly Ground Pepper, to taste
  • 1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Freshly Grated

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Smear softened butter all over the bottom of a baking dish.

Slice potatoes, then cut slices into fourths.

In a separate bowl, whisk together cream, milk, flour, minced garlic, salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.

Place 1/3 of the potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour 1/3 of the cream mixture over the potatoes.

Repeat this two more times, ending with the cream mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown and really bubbling. Add grated cheese to the top of the potatoes and bake for 3 to 5 more minutes, until cheese is melted

No wonder it’s trash
Use golden ones

• 1-1/2 cup Heavy Cream
  • 1/2 cup Whole Milk
  • 2 Tablespoons Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Salt

In a separate bowl, whisk together cream, milk, flour, minced garlic, salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.

Place 1/3 of the potatoes in the bottom of the baking dish. Pour 1/3 of the cream mixture over the potatoes.

Repeat this two more times, ending with the cream mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for 20 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown and really bubbling. Add grated cheese to the top of the potatoes and bake for 3 to 5 more minutes, until cheese is melted
post the website you got this recipe from

No wonder it’s trash
Use golden ones

• 1-1/2 cup Heavy Cream
  • 1/2 cup Whole Milk
  • 2 Tablespoons Flour
  • 1 teaspoon Salt

Can I use Russet potatoes? The king of all potatoes?

Back
Top Bottom