FIXED GEARS

raf, yeah 700barspins.

swoshmn, specs are online there, get a lbs to figure out the order. get a plug hopefully and pick them up or go without a front brake?
if anyone needs anything lmk, bike-related:wink:
~Lefty

Originally Posted by fifaboy03

so what are the advantages of a fixie vs a road bike with gears? are fixies for enthusiasts? i am asking because would it be practical to commute on a fixie 6 miles a day on a generally flat trail?

thanks nt
Fixed gears are good for the following reasons: they require MUCH less maintenance compared to a road bike since you don't have to deal withmaintaining or repairing a complicated gearset and possibly a brake system; they build leg strength since your gear ratio forces you to pump pump pump pumpEVERYWHERE you go; you have increased "feel" for the road with only one gear (and the fact that you have to brake by skidding...or just slow the effdown); and at least in theory, it's cheap because you can just buy an old frame, get new tires and tubes for it, and change the chain and gear yourself.Also, they weigh less because they're stripped down.

But for COMMUTING (which so many people claim they ride their fixie for
grin.gif
), I really think a road bike is better. You have multiple gears to suit the pace of your ride, brakes to make sure you don't kill yourself intraffic, the ability to cruise and ride on the momentum you built and not just pedal all the time (so you don't come in to work looking like a sweatyogre)...and as "cheap" as fixed gears are, there are plenty of good, cheap options for picking up road bikes. Whether you buy from a big box store oryour local bike shop or scour craigslist, you can find a good deal somewhere.

Too many of these cats are saying that they love their fixed gears because it's "cheap" and "a good commuter"....when in actuality, Ithink that fixies are crappy commuters (compared to road bikes, at least), and they're spending hundreds to thousands of dollars on new frames, forks,risers, bars, wheels, etc etc so that their bike looks good. They are the bicycle equivalents of ricers and their rice rockets.

Or you can just appreciate all kinds of bikes. I love fixed, mountain, road, and BMX. There's no reason why you have to knock one or the other. Hell, Iwish I had a pfar. The one thing I can't get down with is a unicycle, those are just ridiculous.
laugh.gif

And before someone gets butthurt because I said it, I'll just say that there are PLENTY of people who have been riding fixed for a long time, and areexcited to see the sport/hobby grow.

After all, more bikes = less cars = less pollution = better health for the rider, and I am definitely all for that.

But just like rice rockets, just like designer skateboards, just like expensive kicks...there are a lot of people that are just jumping onto this becauseit's the hip new accessory to have. And unlike skateboarding, which required some actual skill and dedication to learn to ride (remember all those wannabeSkateboard Ps that carried a Supreme deck everywhere but never rode the damn thing? yeah, so do I), everyone knows how to ride a bike so it's en vogue tohave a bike.

Originally Posted by itz rOLLi

Or you can just appreciate all kinds of bikes. I love fixed, mountain, road, and BMX. There's no reason why you have to knock one or the other. Hell, I wish I had a pfar. The one thing I can't get down with is a unicycle, those are just ridiculous.
laugh.gif
I know you're my dude from way back when Rollz, you know I wouldn't just stay hating for no specific reason.

Bikes are good. Bikes are excellent. On the whole, I have no problems with fixed gears or BMX or mtn or road or whatever.

I'm more mad at these Cool Kids-listening, fitted-wearing, chopped all their jeans into bike shorts-wearing, messenger bag-having, trend-riding,steez-lacking dirtbag blockheads that swear that fixie is the best thing to happen to them since The Hundreds.

I mean, seriously. I know a lot of those dudes are not buying neon purple grip tape, Aero wheels and slapping ALIFE stickers onto their fat carbon fiber spokesbecause it makes the bike function better. They'll say, "Oh, I wanted to customize it and make it look different." Different from what? Everyother dude that has hypebeast stickers and carbon fiber wheels on their imported Italian frame?

Ugh. I've been around this whole scene for a long time, and this is just another thing that makes me want to punch people in the face. Yes I'm maddoggie
laugh.gif

anyone care to elaborate on where to get velocity rims in this size? price as well?

116o12a.jpg

Originally Posted by AllDay AllNight

Oh, and SWOSHMN sighting. Throwwwwwbaccccckkkkk.

Ha, it's impossible to 100% leave NT. There's just A LOT of noise on the boards these days, easier to keep quiet and let the kids have their fun.

When Hybrids of shoes I loved the first time around became the coolest thing and Kanye's shoes with a ridiculous retail have people camp out for a week, itreally doesn't represent my taste or passion as much as NT once did.

I'm sure people are saying the same things about their beloved fixees, once the masses decide what you love is cool, it really tears the thing out of thehands of the people that originally made the thing so special in the first place.

Hey_

Originally Posted by Swoshmn

Oh, and SWOSHMN sighting. Throwwwwwbaccccckkkkk.

Ha, it's impossible to 100% leave NT. There's just A LOT of noise on the boards these days, easier to keep quiet and let the kids have their fun.

When Hybrids of shoes I loved the first time around became the coolest thing and Kanye's shoes with a ridiculous retail have people camp out for a week, it really doesn't represent my taste or passion as much as NT once did.

I'm sure people are saying the same things about their beloved fixees, once the masses decide what you love is cool, it really tears the thing out of the hands of the people that originally made the thing so special in the first place.

QFMTT/QFMFE

Julius F. Wrek

I never understood why you guys ride with no brakes. I ride with a front brake...

I mean what if you have to stop because of an emergency...your legs probably wont react in time and stop. And lets say the minute that car gets right in frontof you, your initial reaction is to do something about it out of a panic...so I just feel that riding with a brake is just for style...

Safety with some style > Style

pistas ftw i love that bike. i have yet to copp my own though, learned to ride on one and wont accept any other
pimp.gif
except maybe a kilott

Originally Posted by artysm

anyone care to elaborate on where to get velocity rims in this size? price as well?

116o12a.jpg

i think thats a 650c HPLUSSON rim, not velocity.
HPLUSSON is 42mm deep while Velocity has a 30mm deep model.

oh forreal i didnt even know.
laugh.gif
at Velocity feeling threatened and throwing out a product that beatsthe competition by 1mm

Originally Posted by supasteezy

Heres my bike. Nothing much.
Did you pick that up from BikesDirect.com? Would you recommend?

Looking to retire my old Peugeot but not looking to drop too much on a new fixed gear.

Also can you easily remove the decals or are they under a clearcoat? Might have to sand and rattle can since I want a clean white finish.

The thing with the Mercier's are that they need immediate upgrades once purchased. You'll get the bike for $349 then youll add a velocity wheelset offCL or eBay for $150. You'll add some new bars and prob a new bottom bracket and cranks for another $150 - $250. Plus new chain right away (they break waytoo easy!)

Thats $650 at a minimum for a somewhat put together bike and youll still have a mercier frame and other nameless parts. For that price you can find an awesomecomplete on CL or eBay and you wont have to do anything! You'll have sugino cranks and a solid bottom bracket, youll have an FSA headset, youll have somesolid bares and most importantly you'll have a great wheelset. You can get your stock pista for that price as well, which is a way better place to start ifyou want to go new (I know some people arent into the used thing, I have no idea why)

Dont get me wrong, its a definite place to start but you will out grow it right away and end up spending more in the long run. There are some amazing bikesonline in the 400-600 dollar range that will last you forever.

Originally Posted by fifaboy03

so what are the advantages of a fixie vs a road bike with gears? are fixies for enthusiasts? i am asking because would it be practical to commute on a fixie 6 miles a day on a generally flat trail?

thanks nt
Fixed gears are good for the following reasons: they require MUCH less maintenance compared to a road bike since you don't have to deal with maintaining or repairing a complicated gearset and possibly a brake system; they build leg strength since your gear ratio forces you to pump pump pump pump EVERYWHERE you go; you have increased "feel" for the road with only one gear (and the fact that you have to brake by skidding...or just slow the eff down); and at least in theory, it's cheap because you can just buy an old frame, get new tires and tubes for it, and change the chain and gear yourself. Also, they weigh less because they're stripped down.

But for COMMUTING (which so many people claim they ride their fixie for
grin.gif
), I really think a road bike is better. You have multiple gears to suit the pace of your ride, brakes to make sure you don't kill yourself in traffic, the ability to cruise and ride on the momentum you built and not just pedal all the time (so you don't come in to work looking like a sweaty ogre)...and as "cheap" as fixed gears are, there are plenty of good, cheap options for picking up road bikes. Whether you buy from a big box store or your local bike shop or scour craigslist, you can find a good deal somewhere.

Too many of these cats are saying that they love their fixed gears because it's "cheap" and "a good commuter"....when in actuality, I think that fixies are crappy commuters (compared to road bikes, at least), and they're spending hundreds to thousands of dollars on new frames, forks, risers, bars, wheels, etc etc so that their bike looks good. They are the bicycle equivalents of ricers and their rice rockets.

truee dattt mannnn i went to a sale a couple days ago and we had to wait to get wristbands (which was a 6hr wait) and dudes in front of us brought their fixedgear bikes just to show off to everyone who was waiting... and dude who was biking was all fat and #*@%.. i know this dude doesnt bike for the love, but bikesto be seen. i remember like 2 years ago as well at the same sale the same dude brought a untouched skateboard and rode it around... SMFH .. these people withtheir loud big font shirtss disgust meee. but for sure when all the hype dies (and it will) the true people who love the sport will remain.

My dudes my Nishiki isn't doing so hot lately. While riding I broke my rear wheel and axle because of a loose part on my chain causing me to fly off! Withme being real empty on money, my dad (being the concerned type father) took up an offer that his co-worker offered and got me an old Trek Composite frame. Andit's a beauty. Pics soon! Not liking the color tho...Carbon fiber and purple
smh.gif
lol

^Not really a long read.

Back
Top Bottom