FIXED GEARS

Originally Posted by slingithajime

Originally Posted by supasteezy

Heres my bike. Nothing much.
Did you pick that up from BikesDirect.com? Would you recommend?

Looking to retire my old Peugeot but not looking to drop too much on a new fixed gear.

Also can you easily remove the decals or are they under a clearcoat? Might have to sand and rattle can since I want a clean white finish.

Yeah I bought it on Bikesdirect.com. I actually do like the bike alot. I think its worth it for 350. A good starting bike IMO. I'm not too sure about thedecals. I plan on removing mine too, but I think sand paper and rattle can is the best idea to remove them. I might repaint it red or a neon green.

craigslist is your friend (for la/oc at least).

tons of people selling hardly used bike parts/bikes for decent prices.

ebay has tons too.

I never understood why you guys ride with no brakes. I ride with a front brake...

I mean what if you have to stop because of an emergency...your legs probably wont react in time and stop. And lets say the minute that car gets right in front of you, your initial reaction is to do something about it out of a panic...

I agree to an extent...I've never had a brake on my bike, but I've been wanting to put one on, mainly to save my knees once in a while. But really,when it comes to using a front brake, you definitely don't want to be locking it up and going over your handlebars in traffic. One of my good friends whohas been riding fixed for about 8 years now just put on a fb and made that exact mistake...wasn't paying attention, yanked on his front brake out ofinstinct, and flipped over in the middle of an intersection...thankfully nobody ran him over. No brakes + anticipating > front brake + false sense ofsecurity. My two cents.

Heads up: Macaframa DVD comes out extremely soon. We'll have a good number stocked.

Also, if anyone is interested in the Bootleg Sessions Vol. 3 or MASH DVDs, hit me up.

My current bike.

2642rya.jpg

My new project

209rn1f.jpg

nice chest rockwell. i was so close to gettin a coltello too.

that thing looks like a beast, you need throw on the clipless pedals and hit the track asap.

it's called a TT/Inverse/Bar-end Lever.

and only one brake on a singlespeed? that setup sucks.

^ if ur referring to the caliper. its prolly drilled for a brake in the front. if ur talkin about the brake lever. its a road brake lever and the cable isprolly threaded underneath the bar wrap.

and single speed is FTL.... i mean if ur going to go with a single gear, u might as well go all the way and make it fixed... y go with a freewheel? because itsmore convenient? if you wanted a convenient bike, get a road bike...

Originally Posted by k0betw0

^ if ur referring to the caliper. its prolly drilled for a brake in the front. if ur talkin about the brake lever. its a road brake lever and the cable is prolly threaded underneath the bar wrap.

and single speed is FTL.... i mean if ur going to go with a single gear, u might as well go all the way and make it fixed... y go with a freewheel? because its more convenient? if you wanted a convenient bike, get a road bike...
I like being able to coast, also not being weighed down with the extra accessories can be very nice. Don't get me wrong, I have a road biketoo but it is pointless to use unless I'm doing hills. And there is that issue of stopping...... but really, gears,fixies,or single speeds, it all dependson preference and I prefer single speeds
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ThrowedInDaGame

Originally Posted by recycledpaper

what's up with kids these days riding bikes? it's like they're taking their fondness for loud-colored sneakers and applying it to their bike's frame.

typical trend-following sheep these days.

The Cool kids. See Dynos with the black mags, except they ride BMX type bikes. These bikes are str8 hipster status.

It's a fad like bape, skateboarding, tall tees, etc.
if i could i would slap you for calling skateboarding a fad.

Again, skateboarding in general isn't a fad. It was a fad with the hipster kids who have moved on to these. If you actually skate and skated before itbecame trendy, then you weren't following a fad. Otherwise, it was a fad.

Some of the bikes posted in here are pretty sick...

To the guys in the Bay Area. I have a Cannondale Aluminum fixed gear that I am looking to get rid of. PM me..

(view in HD)

theres a decent scene in Miami. My boyfriend rides and im always around these bikes. i love them! id like to learn but i dont feel like busting my @@%, i haveno time for that. im gonna start with a single gear.

3705844967_4fec3d46cb_b.jpg

here is one of his bikes:
3499373362_4445155801_b.jpg

Can someone explain to me why these bikes are so popular? I don't know anything about bikes, and am interesting in learning why these have become a new"fad". Are they fun to ride for any specific reason? Just cheap and look cool, or what? Defiantly no disrespect to the riders, I'm justinterested in what all this hoopla is about.

Originally Posted by airjordanjack

Can someone explain to me why these bikes are so popular? I don't know anything about bikes, and am interesting in learning why these have become a new "fad". Are they fun to ride for any specific reason? Just cheap and look cool, or what? Defiantly no disrespect to the riders, I'm just interested in what all this hoopla is about.
same thing here

i want a bike.. mostly to just get out, a form of exercise, and to get around to take pics.. i guess a comf leisure bike... since there seems to be people inhere with knowledge on bikes what should i be looking to get? what type/brand? thank you very much in advance
smile.gif

Originally Posted by airjordanjack

Can someone explain to me why these bikes are so popular? I don't know anything about bikes, and am interesting in learning why these have become a new "fad". Are they fun to ride for any specific reason? Just cheap and look cool, or what? Defiantly no disrespect to the riders, I'm just interested in what all this hoopla is about.
*Waits for cliché response stating "when one rides a fixie, he feels one with his bike"*
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom