Fiscal Cliff

View media item 162130
The fiscal cliff started to affect business decisions this fall. That's why you saw small declines in manufacturing in Friday's jobs report, for example.

It appears to be a worry for consumers now. The University of Michigan's latest consumer sentiment survey shows confidence dropping to a four-month low. That suggests households are concerned about a potentially sharp fall in their after-tax incomes.

The CBO data suggests they might want to be concerned.

The CBO estimates suggest the 20% of households with the lowest incomes might see their taxes rise by $412.

If you're in the middle 20% of income levels -- between $39,791 and $64,484 -- the average increase would be $1,984. If you're in the top 20% -- $108,267 or above -- the CBO is estimating an average increase of $14,173.

If you're in the top 1% -- with income above $506,210 -- the average increase might be about $120,500.

The threat of the cliff is the result of Congress' inability in 2011 to come up with a package that would satisfy everyone. It came after threats of a government shutdown, a downgrade of U.S. debt by Standard & Poor's and a short, intense panic in financial markets that sent the major stock market averages down.

The provisions of the cliff were part of a deal made by Congress in an August 2011 budget bill. It set up a so-called Super Committee of members of Congress and the Senate who were supposed to hammer out $1.2 trillion in spending cuts over 10 years. If they couldn't come up with a plan, then a mandatory combination of spending cuts and tax increases would kick

The Super Committee couldn't agree on a plan, with Democrats and Republicans essentially deciding to wait until after the 2012 election to make decisions.

The CBO sees the cliff cutting the federal deficit but also causing a recession, just as the economy is gaining some strength, that might not end until the end of 2013.

http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx?post=b84b065d-9ae9-452d-92a7-4a369489044a

In less than a month, Social Security tax will increase by 2%.... I don't know why they are not even discussing to extend that.

2% of my salary or $20 out of every $1,000 I earned GONE just like that to pay these morons in Washington!

If this isn't resolved by the deadline our Congress should be abolished. Every single member regardless of party affiliation should be ousted.

Reading around and listening to different news sources there are alot of things not being talked about that will impact alot of people. Scary things for sure.

What moron in Washington said this in 2006 on the Senate floor?

" The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies.

Over the past 5 years, our federal debt has increased by $3.5 trillion to $8.6 trillion.That is “trillion” with a “T.” That is money that we have borrowed from the Social Security trust fund, borrowed from China and Japan, borrowed from American taxpayers. And over the next 5 years, between now and 2011, the President’s budget will increase the debt by almost another $3.5 trillion.

Numbers that large are sometimes hard to understand. Some people may wonder why they matter. Here is why: This year, the Federal Government will spend $220 billion on interest. That is more money to pay interest on our national debt than we’ll spend on Medicaid and the State Children’s Health Insurance Program. That is more money to pay interest on our debt this year than we will spend on education, homeland security, transportation, and veterans benefits combined. It is more money in one year than we are likely to spend to rebuild the devastated gulf coast in a way that honors the best of America.

And the cost of our debt is one of the fastest growing expenses in the Federal budget. This rising debt is a hidden domestic enemy, robbing our cities and States of critical investments in infrastructure like bridges, ports, and levees; robbing our families and our children of critical investments in education and health care reform; robbing our seniors of the retirement and health security they have counted on.

Every dollar we pay in interest is a dollar that is not going to investment in America’s priorities."

I say go over the cliff and work from there. Either way that is what is more than likely going to happen.
Let me get this straight. Your solution is to give more of our money to our government who can't budget what we already give them? On what planet does that even make sense?

Last edited:
you should stick to your infowars topics where you refuse to provide evidence.

:lol:

You are like some crazy chick camping outside my door fam.

So what, you want me to post ALL possible information available for every news article that I thread? It seems like you expect me, (I don't see this kind of expectations of other members) to uncover secret service documents or nonexistent pictures of dead terrorists being thrown in the sea, basically something to "prove" everything I post. Who on NT lives up to those standards? I thread news articles most of the time, that's it. I really don't understand your problem. If you keep this up I'm just going to ignore you like I do putty. Honestly son, if I read something that I'm not sure about, I don't whine about it and roll my eyes like you do. I go and read more about it to inform myself. You sound like a broken record.

Last edited:
Let me get this straight. Your solution is to give more of our money to our government who can't budget what we already give them? On what planet does that even make sense?
One would hope the money would be applied to our debt. And I don't know about you but a tax increase on my end will a have a very minimal affect on my financial outlook.

THERE IS NO FISCAL CLIFF... ITS ALL AN ILLUSION.... POLITICAL SATIRE TO KEEP THE PUBLIC TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING... THE INEVITABLE COLLAPSE OF THE STOCK MARKET IS COMING SOON....

:lol:

You are like some crazy chick camping outside my door fam.

So what, you want me to post ALL possible information available for every news article that I thread? It seems like you expect me, (I don't see this kind of expectations of other members) to uncover secret service documents or nonexistent pictures of dead terrorists being thrown in the sea, basically something to "prove" everything I post. Who on NT lives up to those standards? I thread news articles most of the time, that's it. I really don't understand your problem. If you keep this up I'm just going to ignore you like I do putty. Honestly son, if I read something that I'm not sure about, I don't whine about it and roll my eyes like you do. I go and read more about it to inform myself. You sound like a broken record.

i'm not so sure you read my responses because all i ever ask from you is that you provide some kind of evidence for your claims. for example, you post about how harmful vaccines are. i've asked you on several occasions to provide scientific research to back these claims and you disappear every time. it shouldn't be that difficult if what you say is true. instead of providing some kind of evidence for your claims, you get dramatic about it (as seen in your post here). i've never whined about what you've posted. i've only asked for evidence.

^^at the end of the day most of it is just hoopla. Media did the same thing when it came to raising the debt ceiling. Our credit rating dropped and nothing happened. Economy got better.

THERE IS NO FISCAL CLIFF... ITS ALL AN ILLUSION.... POLITICAL SATIRE TO KEEP THE PUBLIC TALKING ABOUT SOMETHING... THE INEVITABLE COLLAPSE OF THE STOCK MARKET IS COMING SOON....
LITTLE DEBBIE FOOD SNACKS ARE NOW 1.99 THE AMERICAN DOLLAR IS CRASHING

USA needs to james harrison blindside this cliff asap.
Why he would get fined 
laugh.gif

so we are getting ready to go over the cliff and the bums that "represent" us get pay raises huh? Politicians sicken me

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/28/obama-pay-raise-congress_n_2377714.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

Obama Orders Pay Raise For Congress, Federal Workers, Joe Biden

The Huffington Post | By Nick Wing Posted: 12/28/2012 5:23 pm EST | Updated: 12/29/2012 9:47 am EST

President Barack Obama gave a New Year's gift to returning members of Congress, federal workers and Vice President Joe Biden on Thursday, signing an executive order calling for an end to a years-long pay freeze.

As of March 27, 2013, federal employees will see a half-percent to one percent pay increase, marking the end of a pay freeze that has been in place since late 2010. Congress hasn't seen a pay raise since 2009.

According to the order, Biden's pay will increase from $225,521 to $231,900 a year, before taxes. House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) will see his salary increased to $224,500 and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) will take home an annual pay of $194,400 after his raise.

While Obama's order made no mention of merit for such a raise, HuffPost's Amanda Terkel reported on Friday that the 112th Congress is set to end the session as the most unproductive since the 1940s, with only 219 bills passed by the body becoming law. The raise won't take place until the 113th Congress, meaning that outgoing members will see no effect from the order.

Obama ordered the raise as he continues to negotiate unsuccessfully with congressional leaders to find a deal in order to avoid the fiscal cliff at the end of the year. If no agreement is met, over $500 billion in planned tax increases and spending cuts will be implemented.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom