FIRST TIME TO HAWAII.....CAN I GET ANY HELPFUL TIPS???

as i started reading through the replies, all i could think was why the hell are people recommending zippys lol. i still grab their chili and a zip pac every now and then, but it's overpriced and so much better places to grab food from. zippys is a spot if youre hungry and every place else is closed. i do like sidestreet, but to me it's more of a place to eat with a bigger party. a party of two wont capture the full menu because the dishes are family sized. i havent been to leonards in years. every time i pass by place looks friggin crowded. they are in all the tourist magazines now.

stuntman has the best advice in this thread.

gonna be headed to big island in a couple weeks for the homie's wedding. he said that i shouldn't wear a suit, so what's wedding attire for guys out there in hawaii?
most locals will wear "aloha" shirts (hawaiian print button downs), but guys also still rock suits or long sleeves and ties. usually it's just the wedding party and immediate family that's rocking suits. it can get hot though, so it's up to you if you want to go with comfort over tradition.

You'll most likely eat shrimp on the north shore, but Stortos in Haleiwa is the spot for sandwiches.
you can get stortos in town too. might be called something else now. like aloha sub or something, but they serve the same sandwiches with the same names (subs named after surf spots).

getting hungry

aloha subs is the spot...for food poisoning. :x
lol serious? i rarely go there, but it's the same to me. we like to eat at do ne a little more down the way though for some japanese. or amina for some calzones.

the shark cage was underwhelming for me because i'm in the water all the time during summer. if you even think you're going to get sick, don't be too ashamed to take some dramamine. when you jump in the cage, there's quite a bit of sharks around but the cage is sturdy and the sharks are docile. i wasn't scared at all. it was fun to do one time i guess.

Just go to Oahu. If you go to Maui everything is closed at 7pm.
This is true. But I didn't mind it at all.

I really want to go back to Hawaii for:

Poke from Foodland

Shrimp Trucks

Adding to my tattoo

Seeing a turtle while snorkling. Dammit.

Last edited:
Which Island is that at? Maui? I went to Maui and and snorkled near Wailea and saw nothing but fish lol.
yeah kapalua is on maui.
the federal protection on sea turtles has done wonders for the population. seems like you can spot them almost anywhere now. but if people want to guarantee see them in the water and basking on shore, visit laniakea beach on oahu.

Didn't know people were fiending for foodland poke. I usually hit up kyungs, the abalone salad is mean. You can also get good Korean bbq there. Goodplace to chill, eat and drink soju.

Im doin the North Shore Shark encounters as well

im pretty juiced!!

is there a time slot thats best??

Early morning is best. Usually the 7-9am times. Take some sea sick pills just in case. Don't worry about your swimming skills cause the water is so salty you'll float with ease. The sharks come pretty close to the cage but I wouldn't chance sticking a hand out to touch them haha.

Seeing the North Shore from off shore is pretty kool during the boat ride as well.

Didn't know people were fiending for foodland poke. I usually hit up kyungs, the abalone salad is mean. You can also get good Korean bbq there. Goodplace to chill, eat and drink soju.

XBOX SUMMIT @ Kyungs? Soju is in my korean blood :pimp:

and any tips for snorkeling? Ppl just told me to buy some snokreling kit at ABC store and go to Hanuama Bay early in the morning.

Last edited:
XBOX SUMMIT @ Kyungs? Soju is in my korean blood :pimp:

and any tips for snorkeling? Ppl just told me to buy some snokreling kit at ABC store and go to Hanuama Bay early in the morning.

Yeah, Walmart will probably be cheaper. Be sure to go early cause they usually fill the parking lot by lunchtime. Parking is $7.50.and they're closed on tuesdays. If you don't have a car you can book a shuttle thru them.

Last edited:
XBOX SUMMIT @ Kyungs? Soju is in my korean blood
pimp.gif

You can do that, but I found local snorkel rental spots where a snorkeling kit was about $3-5 to rent a day. My wife and I ended up buying a kit from the ABC store, but regretted the purchase after we found out about renting the gear.

Not sure if Bob's Snorkel is on all the Islands, but it was super inexpensive and for any of you who wear glasses they have special masks, too

kyungs has great fresh fish. been a customer since her keeaumoku seafood days. they sell jellyfish too.

Turtles are everywhere, if anything do the underwater manta ray sighting. They take you out in the middle of the night and you all snorkel and they do a manta ray feeding above your heads.

You can do that, but I found local snorkel rental spots where a snorkeling kit was about $3-5 to rent a day. My wife and I ended up buying a kit from the ABC store, but regretted the purchase after we found out about renting the gear.

Is it sanitary to rent a snorkeling kit?

Dont people put dem thangs in their mouth?:x

Is it sanitary to rent a snorkeling kit?

Dont people put dem thangs in their mouth?
sick.gif
Yes, they santize all the kits when they are returned. Well, that's what the owner told me when I was asking about the rentals. lol.

Would not trust. :x

Also just a heads up June is the beginning of hurricane season, hopefully nothing pops off but just be aware.

No issues from the one I rented. If their sole purpose is to rent out equipment and they've been in business for a while, one would suspect they properly disinfect/care for the product.

Back
Top Bottom