Feb 6 - School apologizes for black history lunch menu vol. Annual Black History Month Faux Pas

dynamic_resize

CONCORD, Calif. (AP) -- Officials at a Northern California private school are apologizing after a lunch menu option to celebrate Black History Month angered some parents and students.

Students at Carondelet High School for Girls in Concord wanted to come up with ways to observe the occasion during a lunchtime celebration Friday. But when the school announced a menu of fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon, other students and parents became offended.

KNTV-TV reports ( Controversy Surrounds Lunch Menu at Concord High School | NBC Bay Area ) that school officials held an assembly Wednesday to discuss the issue and also sent a letter apologizing to parents. Principal Nancy Libby wrote that the items were taken off of the menu and that the school doesn't perpetrate racial stereotypes.

Libby also wrote the school will hold a diversity assembly.

Calls to the school on Thursday were not immediately returned.

Source: AP

Lol this reads like an Onion news article.

I'm not personally outraged about it but damn they could have used a bit more tact in choosing the menu.

Last edited:
What's wrong I love that menu. People to sensitive these days.

black kids were prolly complainin but they kno DAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMN WELL, they was lovin them some chicken n cornbread.

aint nothin wrong wit some chicken n cornbread.

sheeeiit, wish i had me some chicken n cornbread right NAH!

Most people I know, black or white like fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon.

But if you give em a inch they'll take a mile.

We gotta check that **** early.

Why not serve real African influenced food?

Lol this reads like an Onion news article.

I'm not personally outraged about it but damn they could have used a bit more tact in choosing the menu.
Haha right? Everything sounded fine at first, like some southern food. But when they put watermelon in there that is when they went over the top ha

If this wasn't deliberate, I think these people should just fall back and stop trying to please the masses by doing things they know nothing about. It's getting annoying having poeple apologize for some level of insensitivity every year for something they did on purpose, or due to naivety. At the same time they shouldn't feel obligated or guilted into observing it or doing something in recognition of it. This is why things are they way they are.
If it isnt genuine then don't bother, **** is old.

Why the **** is fried chicken, cornbread, and watermelon synonymous with black culture in the US. If memory serves, isn't this a southern delicacy? If I recall slaves didn't partake in that, alll they got was chitterlings, cow tongue, corn mush, and whatever else the master didn't want.

Last edited:
Most people I know, black or white like fried chicken, cornbread and watermelon.

But if you give em a inch they'll take a mile.

We gotta check that **** early.

Why not serve real African influenced food?
Prolly cause nobody would eat that ish and parents would take it as an opportunity to complain that, "this isn't african history month, it's black history month, why not just serve some fried chicken, cornbread, greens, etc."

I second the notion that we are way too sensitive these days when it comes to any and everything race/culture related. Pretty soon referring to soul food as soul food will be racist.  

I swear this happens somewhere every year and every year white people play coy and act innocent like "we didn't mean to offend anyone..." Yes you did.
So I guess if a school were to serve bangers and mash, or baked potatoes on St. Patty's Day they'd be low key trying to offend Irish people? YOU ARE REACHING!

Back
Top Bottom