F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

^ I couldn't put that much time into this... so many other nice things to do. :lol: But it sure is fun. Great to see people in other countries more into this hobby when I was over there... far from the foot traffic the hobby kit stores over here get.

The MP4/4 and the F2001 are both 1/20 scale. 1/18 scale would be better, IMO (especially with the much longer and narrower modern F1 cars), but most won't probably have the space to store them.

The lack of the tobacco markings is a bit disappointing for both.

I'm not certain what the Lego GP Racer's scale is, but it's quite large as well. Measurements from the Lego website (L x W x H): 24" x 9" x 4" (61 cm x 25 cm x 12 cm)
It could also be built as a "Race Truck", measuring 17" x 8" x 7" (45 cm x 22 cm x 19 cm).

Last edited:
Whoever said this Lego kit can be done in 3 hours is insanely quick! I've been building for around 7-8 hours, and I'm only 80% or so done. :x :lol:

The build is a bit challenging, more so because the instructions can be quite vague at times -causing me to disassemble certain sections which require a bit of effort to get to, since the affected part is most probably in the central part of the section. :smh:

So far, it's been a fun build... will post photos when I'm done with it.

3am, and I'm finally finished with the damn kit. Really is quite large when completed. Now, just need to find some space for it in my room... :lol: Off to bed first, though. Have to be up for work in a bit.

Started with the MP4/4. Man, this thing is tiny! Seemed like a slow start for now, since you have to paint as you build (was doing otherwise during old builds... what a pain in the a** that was). The next set of instructions seemed quite complicated, so I stopped. :lol: Wouldn't want another night's worth of sleep to be wasted. :tongue:

Pics:

Hopefully I find some time again tomorrow to continue building.

^ Same thing with Gunpla... they come in those huge boxes but are tiny when built.

Yup, I have an airbrush. A Badger Patriot 105-2XR. I still hand-brush for the detail work, though.

McLaren is set to reveal the new car on the 24th of this month.

Lotus won't have the new car ready for the first round of winter testing. :smh:

I always envied those who had the skillz to build models... :lol:
it's never too late to start old man 8)
I have mentioned before in this thread that the some of the best model builders in the world(specially mecha) live in HK and in the Philippines. I bet there's a lot of meets you can attend if you're really interested.

Whoever said this Lego kit can be done in 3 hours is insanely quick! I've been building for around 7-8 hours, and I'm only 80% or so done. :x :lol:

The build is a bit challenging, more so because the instructions can be quite vague at times -causing me to disassemble certain sections which require a bit of effort to get to, since the affected part is most probably in the central part of the section. :smh:

So far, it's been a fun build... will post photos when I'm done with it.
I can knock that out before 3 hours, but then again I've been building model kits since I was 10 so I have developed most of the skills.

I love Japanese culture, why didn't you let me know you were going to Akihabara :smh:
That's Gunpla heaven there 8)

What you said about Gunpla is not always true. It depends on the scale of the model and it's "true" height in the anime.

Those Tamiya F1 kits do require more skill than your average builder, so take your time with it.

I'm gonna post some of my model kit collection in the toy thread real soon.

^ Man, you either got the skills for model-building or you don't... I don't. 

But definitely... show us some of your work!  Both of you. 

Last edited:
^ Man, you either got the skills for model-building or you don't... I don't.

But definitely... show us some of your work!  Both of you. 

I have to disagree... like most things in life, you really have to put in some work to be good at something. That can mean you'd have to go through a lot of models to practice on before you get your desired result. I haven't done this in over a decade until late last year, and since I was only a kid back then, results are far from being desirable. Oh well. :lol: I've already gone through a couple of cheap "practice kits" (water-damaged/discounted), but I think it'll take some more practice to get into it. Especially decals. :wow:

Yeah, you're never too old to get back into this hobby. In fact, most of the people still buying these are the older, more mature fellows. :lol: Great to see their faces light up and hear them share stories about their sentimental attachment to certain kits. Hopefully the younger guys still pick these up.

I primarily got back into this because of the model airplanes... was trying to see if I have the discipline and ability to actually build a decent model now. Lol. Then I found out how simple it was just to assemble kits in a few hours, but they looked horrible without any paint (amazing how a little paint can make a big difference in bringing the model to life). Then, that side of building models is a whole different ballgame altogether. Need a lot of finesse.Then you see how the good ones make theirs... :x

McLaren is set to reveal the new car on the 24th of this month.

Lotus won't have the new car ready for the first round of winter testing. :smh:
it's never too late to start old man 8)
I have mentioned before in this thread that the some of the best model builders in the world(specially mecha) live in HK and in the Philippines. I bet there's a lot of meets you can attend if you're really interested.
I can knock that out before 3 hours, but then again I've been building model kits since I was 10 so I have developed most of the skills.

I love Japanese culture, why didn't you let me know you were going to Akihabara :smh:
That's Gunpla heaven there 8)

What you said about Gunpla is not always true. It depends on the scale of the model and it's "true" height in the anime.

Those Tamiya F1 kits do require more skill than your average builder, so take your time with it.

I'm gonna post some of my model kit collection in the toy thread real soon.

The McLaren launch is online-only, I think. Lotus still having money troubles, perhaps? Looking forward to this season... will probably be hit-and-miss for most teams.

OT, but I came to love Japan over the holidays as well. Akihabara is definitely awesome. So many choices... and significantly cheaper Gunpla relative to back home (half the price on average). :pimp: I'm not really into Gunpla (never watched the anime), but a few of my friends are into it. I have to admit building them is pretty cool, though.

They have an awesome huge-a** Gunpla over there, too! :wow: 18m tall, if I remember correctly. My brother bought an MG version of the model as a souvenir (you can see the box partially in the other photo)... he's not really into models, though, so paint and detail work is out of the question. :lol:

I'll post mine when they're presentable enough. :tongue: Just recently tried out hand-scribing detail into aircraft... overdone it quite a bit, I think. :rofl:

Might get the time to continue building tomorrow evening... will start work on the floor/underbody. Might skip to the engine cover/canopy exterior bit as well. The engine bay looks tedious work!

What kind of model kits are you into?

Last edited:
Had some time to put some paint on the engine cover/vehicle exterior... Bottle of AV Flourescent Red I bought the other day was a bit dried up... :smh: Tried to get by with a mix between that and some AV Ferrari Red I had around. It's not that bad, though quite a bit off. :lol: Oh well.

Hopefully another opportunity to continue comes after work tomorrow...

Do you paint all the bits and pieces then cement them together?  Won't the cement strip the paint?

Anyway... 13 hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.......

[h2]2014 FIA F1 World Championship - Entry List[/h2]

FRI 10.01.14

Please find below the official entry list to the 2014 FIA Formula One World Championship: 
[table][tr][td]
Choosen Race N°
[/td][td]
Driver’s Name
[/td][td]
Company Name
[/td][td]
Team Name
[/td][td]
Name of the Chassis
[/td][td]
Name of the Engine
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
1 *
[/td][td]
Sebastian VETTEL (DEU)
[/td][td]
RED BULL RACING (AUT)
[/td][td]
Infiniti Red Bull Racing
[/td][td]
Red Bull Racing
[/td][td]
Renault
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
Daniel RICCIARDO (AUS)
[/td][td]
RED BULL RACING(AUT)
[/td][td]
Infiniti Red Bull Racing
[/td][td]
Red Bull Racing
[/td][td]
Renault
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
Lewis HAMILTON  (GBR)
[/td][td]
MERCEDES-BENZ GRAND PRIX LTD (DEU)
[/td][td]
Mercedes Gp Petronas Formula One
[/td][td]
Mercedes
[/td][td]
Mercedes
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
Nico ROSBERG (DEU)
[/td][td]
MERCEDES-BENZ GRAND PRIX LTD (DEU)
[/td][td]
Mercedes Gp Petronas Formula One
[/td][td]
Mercedes
[/td][td]
Mercedes
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
Fernando ALONSO (ESP)
[/td][td]
FERRARI SpA (ITA)
[/td][td]
Scuderia Ferrari
[/td][td]
Ferrari
[/td][td]
Ferrari
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
Kimi RAIKKONEN (FIN)
[/td][td]
FERRARI SpA  (ITA)
[/td][td]
Scuderia Ferrari
[/td][td]
Ferrari
[/td][td]
Ferrari
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
Romain GROSJEAN (FRA)
[/td][td]
LOTUS RENAULT F1 LTD (GBR)**
[/td][td]
Lotus F1 Team
[/td][td]
Lotus
[/td][td]
Renault
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
Pastor  MALDONADO (VEN)
[/td][td]
LOTUS RENAULT F1 LTD (GBR)**
[/td][td]
Lotus F1 Team
[/td][td]
Lotus
[/td][td]
Renault
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
Jenson BUTTON (GBR)
[/td][td]
VODAFONE MCLAREN RACING LTD (GBR)
[/td][td]
McLaren Mercedes
[/td][td]
McLaren
[/td][td]
Mercedes
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
Kevin MAGNUSSEN (DEN)
[/td][td]
VODAFONE MCLAREN RACING LTD (GBR)
[/td][td]
McLaren Mercedes
[/td][td]
McLaren
[/td][td]
Mercedes
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
Nico HULKENBERG (DEU)
[/td][td]
FORCE INDIA FORMULA 1 TEAM LTD (IND)
[/td][td]
Sahara Force India F1 Team
[/td][td]
Force India
[/td][td]
Mercedes
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
Sergio PEREZ MENDOZA (MEX)
[/td][td]
FORCE INDIA FORMULA 1 TEAM LTD(IND)
[/td][td]
Sahara Force India F1 Team
[/td][td]
Force India
[/td][td]
Mercedes
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
Adrian SUTIL (DEU)
[/td][td]
SAUBER MOTORSPORT AG (CHE)
[/td][td]
Sauber F1 Team
[/td][td]
Sauber
[/td][td]
Ferrari
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
Esteban GUTIERREZ (MEX)
[/td][td]
SAUBER MOTORSPORT AG (CHE)
[/td][td]
Sauber F1 Team
[/td][td]
Sauber
[/td][td]
Ferrari
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
Jean-Eric VERGNE (FRA)
[/td][td]
SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO SPA (ITA)
[/td][td]
Scuderia Toro Rosso
[/td][td]
Scuderia Toro Rosso
[/td][td]
Renault
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
Daniil KVYAT (RUS)
[/td][td]
SCUDERIA TORO ROSSO SPA (ITA)
[/td][td]
Scuderia Toro Rosso
[/td][td]
Scuderia Toro Rosso
[/td][td]
Renault
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
Felipe MASSA (BRA)
[/td][td]
WILLIAMS GD PRIX ENGENEERING LTD (GBR)
[/td][td]
Williams Team F1
[/td][td]
Williams
[/td][td]
Mercedes
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
Valtteri BOTTAS (FIN)
[/td][td]
WILLIAMS GD PRIX ENGENEERING LTD (GBR)
[/td][td]
Williams Team F1
[/td][td]
Williams
[/td][td]
Mercedes
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
[/td][td]
Jules BIANCHI (FRA)
[/td][td]
MANOR GRAND PRIX RACING LTD (RUS)**
[/td][td]
Marussia F1 Team
[/td][td]
Marussia
[/td][td]
Ferrari
[/td][/tr][tr][td]
TBA
[/td][td]
Max CHILTON (GBR)
[/td][td]
MANOR GRAND PRIX RACING LTD (RUS)**
[/td][td]
Marussia F1 Team
[/td][td]
Marussia
[/td][td]
Ferrari
[/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][td]
TBA
[/td][td]
1MALAYSIA RACING TEAM SDN BHD
[/td][td]
Caterham F1 Team
[/td][td]
Caterham
[/td][td]
Renault
[/td][/tr][tr][td][/td][td]
TBA
[/td][td]
1MALAYSIA RACING TEAM SDN BHD
[/td][td]
Caterham F1 Team
[/td][td]
Caterham
[/td][td]
Renault
[/td][/tr][/table]

13? How fitting. :lol:

Yes, most of the time I paint the parts before I cement them together. That's where the tedious work starts. You wouldn't really be able to paint it well otherwise (even if you just hand-brush -lots of hard-to-reach bits once glued together).

Afterwards, I just scrape the paint off the bits that cement together using an X-ACTO knife. The cement does eat away a bit of the paint, but it still doesn't stick well enough. Besides, the paint at the joints don't let the parts sit flush, so better avoid painting that.

RIP John Button. Always seemed to be one of the most cheerful guys around the paddock. At least he got to see his son win the WDC in his lifetime.

Damn RIP John Button. :smh:

I have my fingers crossed that Jenson will have an amazing season with us in honor of his father. Here's to Jenson and McLaren winning the championship in 2014 8)

zk1mpls zk1mpls I'm more into mecha model kits, specifically Gunpla ever since I watched the various animes in the early 2000s. Most of my model kits are all Bandai Gundam MGs, I also have a few Kotobukiya HMM Zoids kits as well. I see you using Vallejo paints :smokin although I've never used them, I heard nothing but good things about them plus they already come pre-thinned so all you have to do is pour into the airbrush cup and start painting.

Last edited:
Damn RIP John Button. :smh:

I have my fingers crossed that Jenson will have an amazing season with us in honor of his father. Here's to Jenson and McLaren winning the championship in 2014 8)

zk1mpls zk1mpls I'm more into mecha model kits, specifically Gunpla ever since I watched the various animes in the early 2000s. Most of my model kits are all Bandai Gundam MGs, I also have a few Kotobukiya HMM Zoids kits as well. I see you using Vallejo paints :smokin although I've never used them, I heard nothing but good things about them plus they already come pre-thinned so all you have to do is pour into the airbrush cup and start painting.

^ I see. I wasn't really much into anime when I was a kid, though I still found those pretty cool when seeing them at the toy stores.

Vallejo paints work well. I especially like the Model Air line of paints -really convenient, but they come at a price. I've had good experience with them so far -outside of that bottle of AV Flourescent Red that I bought last week... which was supposed to be used for the MP4/4. It apparently was halfway dried-up. It was the last bottle, too, apparently. :smh: >:

Yeah, I hope Jenson has a cracking season for his dad... not used to seeing McLaren not being competitive.

Last edited:
Good to hear Ron Dennis is back... hopefully it can be the start of things turning around for them soon. So what happens to Martin Whitmarsh? :nerd:

:rofl:
Adherence to an homogeneous lexicon axiomatically optimises messaging consistency - Translating Ronspeak
Back calling the shots at McLaren, we pay tribute to 'Ronspeak'

By James Galloway and Pete Gill. Last Updated: 17/01/14 1:18pm

The world of Ronspeak

During his three-decade tenure as McLaren Team Principal, Ron Dennis' sometimes complex turn of phrase became affectionately known as 'Ronspeak'. So to mark his return to the CEO role, here are 12 gems uttered over the years by the man himself and our attempts at more straightforward translations...

"Over the coming weeks I intend to undertake a thorough and objective review of each of our businesses with the intention of optimising every aspect of our existing operations, whilst identifying new areas of growth that capitalise on our technologies, and where appropriate further investing in them. During February, I will articulate a new Group strategy and implement the organisational structure best suited to achieving it."
In other words: I'm back.

Whitmarsh future in doubt
"When I came into motor racing so many things were a black art. But black art was a cloak for 'we don't really know'. It was intuitive engineering. I decided to make it a science. We will develop science to take away uncertainty to make winning a certainty."
In other words: There's nothing flukey about victory.

"Focus is thought to be good, obsession is thought to be bad. But basically they're the same thing. And then there's ego. Ego is a core ingredient of ambition. Ambition and ego are close bed-fellows. And, like everybody I suppose, I seek happiness. It's an uncomplicated objective. I don't see happiness as laughing or clapping your hands. I see it as the opposite of unhappiness, the opposite of anger, of depression. If you can get into that state of mind, you're going to be far more productive."
In other words: I'm only happy when we're winning.

"Surprisingly for us, the psychological blow of it raining halfway through qualifying in Australia was much greater than we anticipated."
In other words: We didn't see the wet stuff coming.

"I wish Lewis really, really well. He's been nurtured well through his career and I feel none of the emotions that attribute to me."
In other words: Don't believe everything you read in the press.

"Life isn't about one person deciding anything. It's never that way. It's about circumstances. Everybody says: 'Am I bitterly this or bitterly that?' What? I'm a realist."
In other words: Get real.

"I continue to love the sport of Formula 1 with every fibre of my being."
In other words: I like F1 - a lot.

"First of all our shareholders have a position, then the board has a position and then Martin has to handle what that position is. It would be totally inappropriate for me to say anything that would undermine Martin's position."
In other words: Know your position.

"I hate shopping. I don't shop, at all. Fortunately my creditworthiness allows for a shop to release quantities of product so I can choose at home."
In other words: They shop, they drop.

"From our perspective, and ours is more qualified because we are not hiding from our inadequacies, it is statistically not borne out that we have huge reliability problems.
In other words: Don't mention unreliability.

"Inevitably you have a greater interest in seeing what he says and how he says it. I am more impressed when it is a pure quote rather than something he is reputed to have said. He is very well put together in the mind."
In other words: He thinks well.

"I used to go to bed with the vacuum cleaner going because my mum wanted the house immaculate when she got up. That's the ethos I grew up with, everything had to be perfect all the time. That's why I am such a pain to live with. I don't want chaos; my homes are my tranquillity bases."
In other words: Wipe your feet before entering.

Back
Top Bottom