F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

I wonder if Max lost temp in his tyres when he slowed down to let Lewis by or if he picked up some marbles or something.
Felt like he lost momentum or maybe it was the dirty air. Need to listen out for what happened.

3 weeks till the next race. 3 weeks for Merc to improve the car.
Red Bull can't afford to give them more chances like this race.

What a seasn this could turn out to be.

Now I need to catch up with what happened in the midfield :lol:

What a race I'm all in!
Looking back and listening to the commentators. I agree Max would have been better off letting him pass somewhere else.
I don't think he would have put 5 seconds between him and Hamilton so that strat of taking the pen was a no good but what do I know.
I love Hamilton and i love seeing a brother crush it in a sport like this but I'm gonna rock with Ferrari. Always been a fan of their cars as a kid and Carlos Sainz seems like an aight guy...

Respect.
1616951852782.png

Thought Lewis tires were dead once he ran wide and started sliding but he somehow kept it in there and even looked like he had better traction out of the last turn onto the straight.

Not bad for an old man

Bottas engineer said he had pace to win the race today.
I think he was faster than Lewis in the 2nd stint but then he got dropped in the 3rd. Lewis probably took a lot out of the tires for the undercut.
Max caught him a lot quicker in the 2nd stint than in the 3rd.

Perez did well and we're still yet to see a race with all 4 top cars in contention. The strategy will be crazy

Mclarens are quick. Lando was flying at one point. Still think Ricciardo needs some more time with the car.

Unlucky for Alpha Tauri. Will be interesting to see the battle between them Ferrari and Mclaren.

Vettel had some good maneuvers against Alonso, but then he makes another big mistake against Ocon...
This weekend didn’t help him at all

Gotcha. From what I understand, they did that last year with the 19 Merc car.
So they did it again with the 20 Merc car? FIA didn't update the rules to prevent that type of thing?

They're not copying the W11 like they copied the W10 last year, they're just upgrading the 2019 parts they bought from Mercedes last year (like the rear suspension) to the 2020 versions this year, it's kind of a sneaky effort/loophole to upgrade the car without using the limited development tokens on those upgrades, and allowing them to use those tokens to upgrade another part of the car (they've spent it on modifications to the survival cell).

Copying the car last year has backfired on them this year though, since low rake cars (Merc) seem to be more affected by the 2021 regulation changes than high rake cars (like RB) and since they copied the Merc car, they also adopted the Merc design philosophy of a low rake car.

Good articles here: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...rippled-floors-on.6KWOpJ8WqzypzzNwC9ygXo.html

Last edited:
Copying the car last year has backfired on them this year though, since low rake cars (Merc) seem to be more affected by the 2021 regulation changes than high rake cars (like RB) and since they copied the Merc car, they also adopted the Merc design philosophy of a low rake car.

THIS exactly. Whether the changes in '21 rules were made 'intentionally to slow down Merc', we won't know... but this definitely affected them the most. Funny how that completely backfired on Racing Pt. Didn't they deny copying the Mercs last season? But are now complaining that the rules hurt them. Can't have it both ways. 🤷🏻‍♂️ It still irks me that they got to upgrade some parts without it counting against their allocated tokens.

But anyway, what a tough debut for Seb. He blamed Ocon at the time, but we all saw on the replay that Ocon didn't move in the braking zone. Seb eventually realized this and was seen apologizing to Ocon in ParcFerme, so, at least, he owned up on it.

Interesting debrief by Buxton and Pietro Fittipaldi on their post-race show regarding track-limits. Pietro actually argued that Max had already past Lewis going into T4 and that Lewis probably should have given Max more room. Either way, it was the safe move by RBR to have Max give the spot back. Ultimately, they need to clarify this track-limits thing. I think Lewis (and probably other drivers) had taken the wide line thru T4 29 times, so for sure he would have gained some lap time there. I get that Charles said that the drivers were 'allowed' to go wide there for the race, but there's just too much confusion. The stewards need to stop giving into the drivers on this.

Yea Max was of the opinion that you couldn't run wide there but some of the other drivers thought you could.

Even Salo said last year during the race while he was a steward, the rule was you couldn't do it in quali but it was fine in the race as long as you don't get a lasting advantage.

Lewis stopped going wide once Masi got on the phone but yea they need to sort it out or at least be as clear as it was with some of the races last year.

Gotcha. From what I understand, they did that last year with the 19 Merc car.
So they did it again with the 20 Merc car? FIA didn't update the rules to prevent that type of thing?

You can get listed parts from other teams which is what Haas does with Ferrari, Alpha Tauri does with Red Bull and What Aston does with Mercedes.

Problem last year was that the Racing Points looked too much like the W10 so other teams thought they got a lot more than just listed parts from Mercedes.
Things like CAD drawings and design documents.

That one was also a mess since they invited the FIA to come to the factory to make sure all they were doing was fine.
Mercedes did that with DAS as well just to make sure everything was legal.

I blame the FIA for a lot of these things. This and the Ferrari Engine scandal has not put them in a good light recently.

I hope 2022 is a nice clean start

Last edited:
They're not copying the W11 like they copied the W10 last year, they're just upgrading the 2019 parts they bought from Mercedes last year (like the rear suspension) to the 2020 versions this year, it's kind of a sneaky effort/loophole to upgrade the car without using the limited development tokens on those upgrades, and allowing them to use those tokens to upgrade another part of the car (they've spent it on modifications to the survival cell).

Good articles here: https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...rippled-floors-on.6KWOpJ8WqzypzzNwC9ygXo.html
Appreciate the info.

You can get listed parts from other teams which is what Haas does with Ferrari, Alpha Tauri does with Red Bull and What Aston does with Mercedes.

Problem last year was that the Racing Points looked too much like the W10 so other teams thought they got a lot more than just listed parts from Mercedes.
Things like CAD drawings and design documents.

That one was also a mess since they invited the FIA to come to the factory to make sure all they were doing was fine.
Mercedes did that with DAS as well just to make sure everything was legal.

I blame the FIA for a lot of these things. This and the Ferrari Engine scandal has not put them in a good light recently.

I hope 2022 is a nice clean start
Gotcha!
In DTS, when the racing point car came out for the first race, every team did a double take like "they just paint over the merc?" :lol:
Being new to the sport and watching the show I did notice a common theme that the FIA rules are ambiguous. The ferrari situation was goofy to me too. Whenever you hear "secret meeting" you can't help but look at everyone involved sideways.
Had to watch a a couple vids just to understand what the issue was.

Back
Top Bottom