F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

Yeah, you've always heard that it needs water to keep it from overheating, and that's it. Good to see the video explaining how this is so in detail. 16 seconds lost in 1 lap. :x

Here's a better view of the under-construction Austin GP Circuit. That first sequence of corners definitely have potential. Reminds me of Abu Dhabi. And the last sequence is a bit similar to Hockenheim -but in the opposite direction. Turn 1 basically reminds me of Interlagos' opening turn going uphill. Should be a good start to the race. :lol:

@SinnerP
Haha! Not a fanboy at all :tongue:
I'm underprivileged. I know I've said it before, and I don't mean to humble brag here. But I'm very grateful that I even have a gaming console. I wouldn't even have a 360, if it wasn't for my grandparents and aunt in DR buying it for me and my brother back in Xmas of '08. Hell, I didn't even get Xbox Live till last year and now I love playing online. Me and my brother still want a PS3 though, I wanna play the God Of War and Uncharted series real bad :D

@zk1MPLS
well damn, I was giving the game some props and you came with that ether. But what would I know? You're the real expert here. I wouldn't be able to analyze what a real racing sim should feel like. I just play the game for fun :lol:
dempsey-face-9-11-12.gif

Last edited:
@SinnerP
Haha! Not a fanboy at all
tongue.gif

I'm underprivileged. I know I've said it before, and I don't mean to humble brag here. But I'm very grateful that I even have a gaming console. I wouldn't even have a 360, if it wasn't for my grandparents and aunt in DR buying it for me and my brother back in Xmas of '08. Hell, I didn't even get Xbox Live till last year and now I love playing online. Me and my brother still want a PS3 though, I wanna play the God Of War and Uncharted series real bad
happy.gif
Haha, that's all good then. Sounds like you really appreciate what you've got, which is important!  
smile.gif

Anyway, pick-up post.

Nice pickup, SinnerP. :smokin

@zk1MPLS
well damn, I was giving the game some props and you came with that ether. But what would I know? You're the real expert here. I wouldn't be able to analyze what a real racing sim should feel like. I just play the game for fun :lol:

That GIF sort of looks like Pau Gasol. :lol:

Disclaimer: Just woke up. Bear with me. What I type below may be incoherent. :tongue:

Lol. I am by no means an expert in sim racing. Just got back to it recently, to be honest. I just got curious how the more serious sim racing titles out there feel -how much better the hardcore sims are out there compared to arcade-y ones. It's just that when you've experienced other (possibly better) quality options out there you'd notice the difference (as what happens in other aspects of life).

I just find a game that is advertised as the ultimate F1 experience a bit limiting in some aspects. It's 2012, and they can't even allow you to drive into the pit box (or use the PL limiter)! I must say that the handling does feel better compared to last year, but you still don't feel like your wheel is connected to the tires on the car. In a sport where the difference from winning and losing can be decided by hundreths of a second, it could be critical. That +/- 10° deadzone really messes up the feel of the car for me. The brakes feel like they don't work (but hopefully this could be tweaked in the final game). Call it funny, but I don't feel one with the car. :lol: It didn't give me the confidence to push the car.

For instance, here's me driving driving around Yas Marina Circuit in Abu Dhabi in F1 2012:

You'd notice that I'd suddenly go into full lock from having the wheel centered in wide corners. Struggling to hit the apex unless I slow down too much. Just didn't want to turn in.

In comparison, check out this video of me driving a Zonda R around Watkins Glen. Default setups, but the car feels great, allowing me to throw it anywhere that I want to on the track. Yeah, there a few mistakes here and there, but you can definitely see I was attacking the corners. Overdriving a lot, too. :rofl:

But, then again, Codemasters' demographic is quite different from the hardcore sim racing crowd (make it drivable for all ages), which means there has to be compromises to satisfy the mainstream/casual crowd. So they sort of dumbed the game down and made it more arcade-y to appeal to them. Something too difficult would drive their target market away, so their sales will suffer. Sim racing is a niche market, after all. But in my opinion, that extra bit of a challenge definitely bumps up the experience for me. The bottom line is, no matter how nice the presentation is, if the cars drive like crap (not saying F1 2012 is crap btw), then the point of even making a "racing game" is moot. Driveability should alway be at the core of every racing game.

They say the Demo isn't representative of the final build of the game; that it's from an old build. While the optimist in me hopes for the best, I highly doubt it. The game comes out this week. Showing an old build to the buying public just doesn't make any sense. In my opinion, they just turned off a lot of potential buyers from the game with the demo. I've been on the F1 2012 forum, the guys on there should be more proactive than reactive to criticisms about the game, blindly defending their beloved developer instead of delivering a message that we need more effort from the devs. I just don't want the F1 racing series to be the next COD of racing games. *cough* Need For Speed *Cough* Heck, the visuals, while improved (even on PC) doesn't impress much now. Circuits look much better compared to last year. The steering wheel looks worse. The mechanic from the Young Driver Test looks like it was from a PS2 game. Seems like another console port. Maybe the time frame for making a game that comes out every year is to blame, or hardware limitations. *shrugs*

Then again, Gran Turismo 5 's F1 cars feel much better (SinnerP can validate that), so quality in a mainstream product can be done. But it took them 7 years to do so. :\

I know that I can be brutally honest with the analysis sometimes. But as a consumer that would potentially spend $60 of my hard-earned money for a product (which is not cheap for a game that comes out every single year), I would have to think twice. Maybe sit back a bit to see how the real game would look like. It's just not a Day 1 pickup for me. Definitely not worth $60 at this point. Maybe $35. When I do get around to playing it, I think my interest in the game will last just about when F1 2013 arrives. :lol:

In the end, this is just my opinion. You are entitled to your own. If you have fun with the game, then that's all what matters. Based on the Demo, it's a 6/10 for me. The game is quite fun, but it could be better.

Cliffs:
Hardcore sim racing is a niche market. Lack of presentation: BORING! Prority: REALISM
Mainstream racing games: Great presentation. Fun. Hop on and drive! Priority: Accessibility
Big developers catering to mainstream market = big $$$, at expense of quality to appease said market.
F1 2012 does show some innovations (novel ones at that), but improvements could be better. It's getting there, albeit slowly.

Last edited:
Gave the Demo another run for about 90 minutes. Getting a bit used to it, but still not fond of the handling. Surprisingly, you can drive the Yas Marina Circuit at night in the Demo. All you have to do is to wait out the Free Practice session for about an hour. :lol:

By the way, I drove this with all assists turned off. They hardly made any difference. It's hard to spin out of the game. :lol:

Last edited:
^ I'm actually looking forward to a wet Singapore GP. It should liven up the atmosphere on an otherwise boring circuit. :lol: :smokin

Lol. Just put the cliffs on there so anyone who's not that fond of reading a wall of text gets an idea what I'm getting at.

Anyway, just modded my sim rig yet again to accommodate a dedicated ButtKicker mount, as well as a few minor adjustments to the size and accessibiltiy. Probably reduced the weight further by around a half a kilogram or something.

Version 4:

A proper ButtKicker mount. Had it mounted sideways (works, but not recommended) originally.

nice stuff up there! i was checkin some set up in youtube, i saw a rounded version of buttkicker i think its 100 watt version

anyway... any alternative for d-box with arc frame??
i just fainted when i saw the price on those :lol:

nice stuff up there! i was checkin some set up in youtube, i saw a rounded version of buttkicker i think its 100 watt version
anyway... any alternative for d-box with arc frame??
i just fainted when i saw the price on those :lol:

thanks. the size of the ButtKicker largely depends on the size of your rig. If your rig is small like mine, the ButtKicker Gamer 2 is more than enough. For larger rigs, the ButtKicker simulation kit or the LFEs should be better. Some guys are trying to put several tactile transducers in different parts of their rig to simulate directional feel, which is going to be expensive, especially since you need an amp for each channel. lol.

Yeah, the D-Box seems amazing, but ridiculously out of reach for most of us. This one is even more ridiculous http://cxcsimulations.com/motion-pro/ :x

This one is nice if you have the room: http://www.vesaro.com/

This one's a bit cheaper: http://us.simroom.com/us-store/us-sim-racing-products/visionracer-vr3-emotion

This one is used by a lot of guys who have the building skills. http://simxperience.com/

Anyway, unless I have a ton of money to throw away, I'm good with this current rig. :lol:

One of these days, I'd want to try these out at Ferrari World Abu Dhabi. :pimp:

Last edited:
^ That's pretty sick... even for a Ferrari-based machine. 
eyes.gif

laugh.gif

Anyway, finally got around to reading ZK1's sim-post.  It's a tricky balance for Codemasters cuz they probably don't want to make it too "sim" on fears that it might be too difficult for the average gamer, with the generally assumption that it's really hard to drive these things.  After reading some of the comments online, it appears that the general consensus is that the demo tends to understeer, which is what you're reporting too. I think Codies listed some driving-setting adjustments, but I think its probably more for the feel of the steering and throttle/brakes rather than the setup of the car.  I still haven't dl'd the demo, and from the looks of things, I probably shouldn't.  We should prob. all wait for the F1 Stars game instead! 

As for other sim-racers, I guess the best ones are the PC ones.  The GT5 F1 is pretty tricky.  Not "hard" to drive, but hard to drive fast and on the limit.  Once you start pushing, it's so easy to 'lose it'... 

Anyway... ZK1, all 3 free-practices will be on Star this weekend! Whoop!

^ Give it a try, SinnerP. You might like it. It feels a bit better than last year. Just needs getting used to.

Guess I might have to tune in to Star Sports for this weekend. :lol: Been streaming the Sky Sports broadcast by the past 4 grands prix. Definitely worth it. Can't believe how much the broadcast is edited by Star Sports. They delay everything. :rolleyes

Guess I need to mod my rig again. Just installed the ButtKicker in my custom mount. Now, it's kicking my butt... literally. ButtKicker's hitting the bottom of my seat. Maybe at the end of the week. Just repainted the entire thing, too. :\

I actually picked up the game today. Gonna give it a spin later but I have no wheel so my review will be much diff. I need to stop being picky and just pick a wheel already. I wish it wasn't so difficult to do so. Lol

@SinnerP nice pickup! But that price tho
sick.gif
mean.gif
Thanks.  Yeah, it ain't cheap, but it's cheaper than what it was... $199 I think.  Haven't bought any kicks this year, so I guess I can justify the expense.  
tongue.gif

The quality's pretty good and it's a fleece with an inside-mesh-lining... can't complain.

Last edited:
im new to f1.. and I really wonder if lewis driving that red bull RB7 car how much win he can get out from that car. id like to see vettle on other car too.

Red bull RB7 looks really fast compared to others right now.. after living in UK for 3 yrs i enjoyed F1 and football and became Lewis Hamilton fan.
me want to know this... new cummer here
:stoneface:

I actually picked up the game today. Gonna give it a spin later but I have no wheel so my review will be much diff. I need to stop being picky and just pick a wheel already. I wish it wasn't so difficult to do so. Lol
I don't know how much you paid for yours, but I can't justify spending $60 for a new game. I'll wait for it to go on sale for like ~$20.
By the way, let's go join the karting league at Miami GP. I'm pretty sure they should be starting one soon. :D

@SinnerP nice pickup! But that price tho :x :smh:
Thanks.  Yeah, it ain't cheap, but it's cheaper than what it was... $199 I think.  Haven't bought any kicks this year, so I guess I can justify the expense.  :tongue:
The quality's pretty good and it's a fleece with an inside-mesh-lining... can't complain.
:lol: I feel you. I've only bought one pair this year, which were the Nike Free Run 2 and I got them for $50. I can also justify the expense :wink:
I really want one of these 2. I wouldn't mind getting the waterproof jacket since it rains so damn much in Miami. If it had hints of 3M throughout, I would cop in a heartbeat! :smokin
http://f1store.formula1.com/stores/f1/products/product_details.aspx?pid=102095

http://f1store.formula1.com/stores/f1/products/product_details.aspx?pid=102078

^ I'm actually looking forward to a wet Singapore GP. It should liven up the atmosphere on an otherwise boring circuit. :lol: :smokin

LOL boring? I kinda like it. But what the hell I know? I just started watching F1 earlier this year. :rofl:

^ Lol. The Singapore GP circuit lacks character, IMO. Picturesque, yes, but that's the only thing going for it. Heck, they promote the other events during the weekend more than the grand prix itself. :rolleyes But for the drivers, it should be interesting, given the unusual time and conditions at the track. Really hope it rains all throughout the weekend. Or at least dry on Thursday through Saturday, then wet for all of Sunday. :lol:

Having a Grand Prix Circuit on public roads is definitely :smokin though. Feels surreal driving through the streets where the cars race on.

Here's a flying lap around the Marina Bay Street Circuit.

Get the Fanatec set. It's just about the same price as the G27 and has belt-driven motors. Much smoother force feedback. I would've gotten a Fanatec wheel if they were readily available here.

@SinnerP: Held back on the details of the P1, since I knew you'll be the one making the official thread for it. :lol: :tongue: The McLaren logo headlights :pimp:

Last edited:
zk1MPLS,
Thats the thing, Dont know which to ultimately pick. I go between clubsport with F1 rim to CSR elite back to clubsport again. :lol: we'll see soon.

LouisLagerfeld,
Thats the thing, I need more details to see if its gonna interfere with my work schedule.

If you can afford it, ClubSport all the way! Quality of the rim is much better. The base is practically the same, with just the addition of a Quick-Release mechanism on the Club Sport base. And the Interchangeable rims is a huge plus. I hope I have the chance to upgrade to a ClubSport Wheel and Pedals set myself in the future. But $900 for the whole kit is :x And that doesn't include the GT rim yet. Or an H-pattern / Sequential Shifter.

But then again, the plan of building my own custom wheel to replace the stock G27 rim would cost about just as much (this guy http://simracnwheels.com/ ), might as well get the Fanatec kit ($630 - ClubSport base and F1 rim), and use the G27 pedals for the meantime. Maybe replace the stock brake with a load cell brake. So many options, but need more funds. :lol:

If you're on a budget, then the DFGT is the way to go. If not, then there are a few more options... like ZK1 said, the Fanatec makes good wheels.  The G27 is also excellent. Nothing beats the Thrustmaster though.  

the Fanatec club sport is something considerable but i think i'll settle for the Thrusmaster for now. the Fanatec pedals looks awesome too.

street tracks are more artificial for my appeal. they all look like the same, tight, bumpy etc. unlike Monaco... it has a steep uphill then down to the tunnel which all natural and magnificent

Back
Top Bottom