F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

That was nuts! :wow: Happy everyone's okay, almost curtains for Alonso there :\

That move that Kimi did to pass Schumacher at Eau Rouge is underestimated. I tried to find it in English, sorry guys.

edit: Bernie Ecclestone got married :x :x :x :x :smh: :smh: :smh: :smh:

There's a 46 year gap. Can he even get it up? (pause)

Well I think we know what she sees in him.

article-1333205-0ABDC35E000005DC-232_468x387.jpg

Ecclestones-new-wife-Fabiana-Flosi.jpg

Last edited:
That's the problem with the FIA penalty system... it's very case-by-case.  

The reason for the tough penalty against Grosjean, I think, was cuz of how many cars it took-out... and how potentially dangerous it was. It could have caused serious injury to Alonso or some other driver.  Also, they had to take into account that it was not his first start-incident.  I think he crashed 7 of his 12 race-starts or something like that.  Track-record.

Of course for Maldonado, who have probably had more incidents, it was probably because each incident was "smaller" and (relatively) wasn't as dangerous.  If anything, I felt Maldo's crashes have been more "malicious".  Remember how he crashed into Lewis last year in Spa after quali?  It was intentional.  

I know it seems unfair cuz if anything, Maldo should have been banned first, but that's the problem... it's the rules.  It leads to seemingly-inconsistent rulings.  The FIA will probably need to work on that. 

To add to that, aren't there a different set of race stewards for each race weekend? That could explain some of the inconsistency.

the move Kimi pulled on Schumi on the outside of bus stop :x then some laps later on eau rouge again on the outside :x :x

i think Romain doesnt realise that his f1 car is MUCH longer and wider than his gp2 car :lol:

the things Bernie would do on that broad :lol:

The crash at the start definitely brings memories of the 1998 Belgian Grand Prix... although that one was much worse given the 13-car pileup in heavy rain. :wow: :x Only time I've seen the backup car being used during race day.

Last edited:
at that time, there's no penalty for changing gear box, engine etc anytime on a race weekend, qualifying or even in practice everybody can use their spare car when its needed.

though drivers were only allowed to jump in the spare car on raceday only if there's a re-start and havent completed a lap

Of course!  Those were the days when they had T-cars, new engines for EACH SESSION and tobacco money to burn!  West, Marlboro, British American Tobacco, Benson Hedges, etc... Those were some fun times.

Anyway, it's an interesting situation with the penalties and FIA stewards.  Actually, the FIA delegates for each race used to be ppl from the motorsport-delegation from each respective country.  It would be different everytime.  The problem with having the same bunch at each race was that you risked biased decisions.  Another thing was that they didn't used to have any actual ex-racers as a part of the FIA stewards team.  The problem with that was that a lot of decisions would be made based on the rulebook and not on practical racing situations.  

Since then, the changes included adding an ex-racer as an FIA adviser to the stewards.  The racer wouldn't make the penalty decisions, but would be there to give racing-advice to the stewards.  These FIA stewards would change from race to race while the ex-racer adviser would rotate at different races. This was actually a good move by the FIA as it listed all the stewards for each race and official statements would be issued regarding the penalties... provided some clarity on the punishments.  It's not perfect, but it was a step in the right direction.  

zk1, the inconsistency, instead, is more on how there aren't a standardized set of guidelines for each "crime", as in motorsport, a lot of different things can happen.  

I see. Definitely a step in the right direction for the sport. Thanks for the info.

those cost cutting methods were inforce to help those independent teams to match up against the well budget teams. even then, teams can use as many tyres as they want as compare now... there's also the in-season testing.

i think thats why Ferrari dominated because they have their own test track and do their testing in between gp's. i remember Schumy and Rubens used to do about 100 laps in dry and another 100 laps in wet per session

D'Ambrosio to replace Grosjean
Tuesday 4th September 2012

D'Ambrosio to replace Grosjean
Lotus reserve driver Jerome D'Ambrosio will fill in for the banned Romain Grosjean at the Italian Grand Prix.

Grosjean will have to sit out the race at Monza after he was slapped with a suspension by race stewards for his role in the first corner mêlée at Spa on Sunday.

The Frenchman's actions were ruled to be "Extremely serious breach of the regulations which had the potential to cause injury to others," and as such he received a one-race ban.

D'Ambrosio is the natural successor as he is the team's reserve driver but there had been speculation that Rubens Barichello or Jaime Alguersuari may be called upon. However, Lotus have now confirmed that the Belgian will get an opportunity to prove his worth.

"When we signed Jérôme as our third driver we signed a man who is highly motivated, fresh, talented and who contested the full 2011 season," explained team principal Eric Boullier.

"We hope that this will pay dividends when he drives the car this weekend in Monza. We know that Jérôme is well integrated into the team and that he did a good job when he drove the E20 at the Mugello test. Now he has the challenge of a Grand Prix at the challenging circuit of Monza, in a car which is capable of finishing on the podium.

"One thing is for sure, he's half Italian and I think I know which driver the spectators will support apart from Fernando ! It's a tough task for Jérôme, but we will be supporting him in every way to achieve a good result."

The former Virgin driver is understandably delighted to have an opportunity to once again find himself in a race-seat.

"My desire for 2012 has always been to get back into the seat of a Formula 1 car so I am grabbing this opportunity with both hands," he said.

"Monza is a fantastic circuit and I can't wait to take to the track on Friday. As third driver I have worked with the team at every Grand Prix, attending all the briefings and meetings that the race drivers do, so I am well prepared in this respect. Monza is a superb circuit, but it is also quite a technical one so I am not underestimating the task ahead of me.

"I want to reward the faith that the team has in me with a good haul of points from the race. I will hand the wheel back to Romain after Sunday's race and I hope that this one showing in Italy will allow me to show my capabilities fully," he added.

Hehe, that's cold!

But following-up on Flash's comments, yeah, the resources they had (especially the big teams) back then was ridiculous.  Constant testing & development, an abundance of man-power and everything else in between.  It was literally unfair to to the smaller teams got way outta hand.  That's why they're working on the RRA (Resource Restriction Agreement)... to limit spending.  Unfortunately, it'll all come down to honesty among the teams... you can't really police team-spending.  

Then there was also Bridgestone practically tailoring their tires to Ferrari and specifically, Schumi.  It's well-known within the industry that the Bridgestones in the early 2000's played a huge part in their dominance.  

Anyway, I posted this in the GT5 thread, but thought you guys would appreciate it as well. 

^ Yeah, that was just silly, He definitely should have known better. 
mean.gif
  I understood that he wanted to share a bit of stuff with his followers, but that was just silly and poor-judgement. 

^ To be fair, considering the size of their field, NASCAR would be too dangerous on a wet track. They hardly even have run-off areas, so they're just an accident waiting to happen -even in dry conditions.

After playing with NASCAR in Gran Turismo, I've learned to respect the sport. It's really fun to drive, but so boring to watch (on TV). Might be a whole different experience watching live, though.

Interesting Young Driver Test section of F1 2012. But it seems like something you'd never repeat again once you finish the tasks, IMO.

Wasn't he suppose to discuss a new deal with McLaren during the break? If he didn't I think that's where the frustration came from. On top of that his aunt had just passed away before the race weekend so he was filled with emotion that whole weekend.

zk1MPLS is right about the NASCAR field. There's like 3 crashes per race at the least, but it's tremendously boring. :lol:

I always felt NASCAR was dumb boring until I got to ride passanger in one. Sheeeeeesh the G Forces are amazing but thankfully it was only a 3 lap ride. It got boring as it was ending. :lol:

Thankfully the Hamilton to Mercedes rumors have been denied but you know how that goes with politics involved in mis season go... I hope he stays at McLaren come 2013 but if he doesnt, wonder who the new driver would be.

Yeah, no disrespect to Nascar, as I'm sure it still requires a lot of skill and guts, but just not my thing.  GT5 Nascars handle surprisingly well tho... 
laugh.gif

Of course Lewis' management and McLaren denied the rumors.  What else were they gonna say?  Bottomline is that as long as he hasn't signed a contract, anything can still happen.  They say change is good... sometimes... but hard to really see Mercedes out-develop McLaren.  

Back
Top Bottom