F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

Heading into Spa, time to revisit this... one of my fav. overtaking-maneuvers, ever!

Heading into Spa, time to revisit this... one of my fav. overtaking-maneuvers, ever!
[if IE]><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="640" height="390" /><![endif]

Man, I remember that overtake. That was just a sick maneuver by Hakkinen. :smh: :x :x :x :pimp:

Had to be Schumi on the receiving end of that. :\ :lol:

On a related note.... great news! The Belgian Grand Prix's contract has been renewed through the 2015 season! More Spa-Francorchamps in F1! :pimp:

BELGIAN GP SIGNS NEW THREE-YEAR DEAL[emoji]169[/emoji] Ubaid Parkar, 24 August 2012

[emoji]169[/emoji] Mercedes
The Belgian Grand Prix will remain on the Formula 1 calendar for the next three years after the event’s contract was extended until 2015, it was announced on Thursday.

Reports earlier suggested that the Belgian GP would be alternated with a race in France starting next year, but the cost of hosting the race was reduced to an undisclosed amount.

“(Wallonian minister of finance Jean-Claude) Marcourt said the French had not followed up on that proposal and hence the Belgian contract was being extended,” AFP reported.

The current Belgian GP deal expires after the end of this year’s edition.

One week left until we're back for the second half of the season! :pimp: :D

Last edited:
zk - those effects are awesome! i was thinking it will be kinda boring if the sits are just stationary, i didnt know about these stuff before and that can simulate the bumps and have those vibrating effect like close to being real(well...not really) :lol: but its close enough, a lil bump and vibration here and there will be very cool 8) i cant deal with the bumps when cornering in karting anymore, even those kiddie roller coaster rides is gets me dizzy as hell even my neck hurts :lol: im surely gonna go that DIY route. these stuff is sick :smokin

i cant see the video you guys posted but are you reffering to Spa 00'? if thats it then its the illest pass i saw on that track! both heavyweights going toe to toe, Plus, Zonta played it very well! i remember back then my freinds was saying Schumy was struggling and all but ethier way Mika will get thru no matter what. great comeback by Mika on that race.

zk - those effects are awesome! i was thinking it will be kinda boring if the sits are just stationary, i didnt know about these stuff before and that can simulate the bumps and have those vibrating effect like close to being real(well...not really) :lol: but its close enough, a lil bump and vibration here and there will be very cool 8) i cant deal with the bumps when cornering in karting anymore, even those kiddie roller coaster rides is gets me dizzy as hell even my neck hurts :lol: im surely gonna go that DIY route. these stuff is sick :smokin
i cant see the video you guys posted but are you reffering to Spa 00'? if thats it then its the illest pass i saw on that track! both heavyweights going toe to toe, Plus, Zonta played it very well! i remember back then my freinds was saying Schumy was struggling and all but ethier way Mika will get thru no matter what. great comeback by Mika on that race.

Well, this is a semi-budget solution for tactile feedback... You could get a D-Box (motion actuators, so your whole rig moves) which allows you to experience some of the g-forces when cornering and braking. Insanely expensive, though. :x But yeah, the ButtKicker is already good enough for me.

Yeah, the amount of work guys put in their sim rigs are ridiculous. Makes mine look like a novice for sure! :lol:

When building your rig, try checking out existing rigs on sim racing forums (Inside Sim Racing, No Grip Racing, pCARS forum, TheWayIPlay, etc.) to get an idea of what your needs are. Some guys even sell plans on how to build a specific rig -you can probably start from that.

^ Yep~!

Mika was :smokin
Schumi was >:
Zonta was :wow:

:tongue:

Anyway... next.
[if IE]><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="640" height="390" /><![endif]

Holy crap Lewis. Too talented, even when he was just 13 years old. Damb. :wow: :smh: :x :pimp:

That karting video definitely made me curious as to how the other F1 drivers fared back in their younger days. Here's Fernando Alonso in a karting race as well.

You can definitely notice the difference in their driving styles, Lewis and Fernando. Lewis is crazy agressive,and Fernando is really smooth. Both terribly quick, though. :pimp:

Week left for Spa.I seriously cant wait. Im gonna miss the actual race but hope to find it later after work somewhere.

zk- thanks for the input! i'll surely check those sites...

guys... when you post some vids can you post the link too. my crappy ipad wont allow me to see those vids :lol:

Last edited:
P,
That Spa video has me :wow: That was a nice and brave move.

WisePharoah,
I wish I was but it being on Black Friday and the busiest weekend in my work schedule, I wont be able to make it. :frown:

Man, I wish I could go to Austin as well. Me and a friend might go to the NJ one if it pushes through next year.

Speaking of Austin, here's what the track will basically look like (in game lap from F1 2012):

It seems too wide and too safe. Definitely has Hermann Tilke written all over it. :\ Looks like a bit of Turkey and Abu Dhabi for me.

Last edited:
^ Not necessarily.  If you can get a good exit out of T12, you won't need DRS for T13 and onto the start/finish.  I think having DRS there would make it redundant and make overtaking TOO easy there.  The car behind, with a good slipstream AND DRS would just blow by the guy in front with no chance to defend.  I personally don't think it would have been a good idea.  That's still my main gripe with the DRS... the closing-speed & speed difference can sometimes be so big that it turns it into an unfair advantage.  It makes the guy in front defenseless, which isn't what racing is about.  The best type of racing, IMO, would be to have the cars getting along-side each other on the main-straight... and going into T1.  At that point, it's all about the late-braking and positioning your car to see who can make the overtaking maneuver.  You'd see more overtaking, but it wouldn't necessarily make the racing better... IMO.

Last edited:
^ Not necessarily.  If you can get a good exit out of T12, you won't need DRS for T13 and onto the start/finish.  I think having DRS there would make it redundant and make overtaking TOO easy there.  The car behind, with a good slipstream AND DRS would just blow by the guy in front with no chance to defend.  I personally don't think it would have been a good idea.  That's still my main gripe with the DRS... the closing-speed & speed difference can sometimes be so big that it turns it into an unfair advantage.  It makes the guy in front defenseless, which isn't what racing is about.  The best type of racing, IMO, would be to have the cars getting along-side each other on the main-straight... and going into T1.  At that point, it's all about the late-braking and positioning your car to see who can make the overtaking maneuver.  You'd see more overtaking, but it wouldn't necessarily make the racing better... IMO.

I get what you mean. I'm not a fan of DRS and KERS (basically not a fan of artificial means of improving overtaking), either, as they do make overtaking fairly easy. Just the thought of a wicked slingshot going through Turns 12 and 13, though... But yeah, I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of that if I were a driver. :lol: :smh:

Given the massive tyre performance degradation is already making a big impact helping overtaking during races, artificial means of improving overtaking isn't that necessary anymore. They better bring back refueling as well.

Also... Call it old school, but I'm more of a fan of the free-for-all qualifying sessions over the present Q1-Q2-Q3 setup. That way we see less of the tyre saving/fuel burning, which makes the first parts of each session really boring.

By the way, the NJ Grand Prix track layout looks much better than the Austin one, IMO

^ Yep, exactly.  If you can get a good run through T12-13, you should be able to get a good slingshot and slipstream (if there's someone in front) onto the main-straight.  You don't need DRS.  And, if somehow, you get past the guy in front before the DRS-zone, he'll still get to use the DRS even though he's in front! The advantage is magnified at Indy with the huge-straight.

There some good things about the current quali... it does get pretty exciting towards the end, but I also enjoyed the free-for-all Q we used to have.  12 laps... 4 hotlaps. Go for it!

Last edited:
If New Jersey pulls through for 2013, summit at the track? :nerd:

I def wouldn't mind at all 8)

@zk1MPLS- I agree with you. The New Jersey street circuit does look better than the Austin track.

Guys I have a serious question. How do the teams know which garage to go into and setup all the equipment in? Is it by the amount of points the constructors have? Like for example, since Red Bull is first in the constructors championship, they fill in the first 2 garages in the pit lane.

^garages are usually based on last years contructors championship oreder.. first garages are alloted to the champion all the way down the order.

but when the year mclaren was disqualified, the following year, they should be given last garage. but since they have a massive equipments and a huge motor home, they were given the middle part and so other VIP's too doesnt have to walk up and down the pit lane.

Bernie's too old to walk that far from the first garage down to the last :lol:

Last edited:
^garages are usually based on last years contructors championship oreder.. first garages are alloted to the champion all the way down the order.

but when the year mclaren was disqualified, the following year, they should be given last garage. but since they have a massive equipments and a huge motor home, they were given the middle part and so other VIP's too doesnt have to walk up and down the pit lane.

Bernie's too old to walk that far from the first garage down to the last :lol:

aahhh I see thank you :D

Guys check this youtube channel out. It won't disappoint, I promise

http://www.youtube.com/user/roundsinthechamber

Back
Top Bottom