ENVY 14/17 (Real Macbook Pro Killer)

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

HP always has nice computers, but they only last for a year before self destructing
laugh.gif

I'm not biased BTW. I have a Macbook Pro and an Acer Ferrari w/ Windows 7, and honestly they perform pretty much the same (well the MBP has better battery life and less overheating, but the Ferrari is 3-4 years old though). Besides the icons being on the left vs. the right, 7 performs just as well as OS X.

And another thing, Windows 7  is
eek.gif
when it comes to customization.

I have iMacs, Macbooks, Macbook Pro's
tongue.gif
, a Thinkpad
pimp.gif
, and a desktop in the house, but none of them come close to my new ENVY 14
eek.gif
. This thing is amazing. I'm not here to convince anyone HP has amazingly solved its previous quality control problems, because i doubt they have honestly
smh.gif
, but I've also never bought an HP from Bestbuy because I don't buy consumer grade laptops for myself (Consumer grade laptops are designed to wear out in two years so companies have a sustainable revenue model). I typically buy Business class laptops because I have to have a beast for work that can last for at least 3 years. The family has all those Macs because they think Macs are cool but my ENVY has disappeared twice in the past two days, so some of that brand loyalty is in question in the household
laugh.gif
if you know what I mean.
pimp.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

HP always has nice computers, but they only last for a year before self destructing
laugh.gif

I'm not biased BTW. I have a Macbook Pro and an Acer Ferrari w/ Windows 7, and honestly they perform pretty much the same (well the MBP has better battery life and less overheating, but the Ferrari is 3-4 years old though). Besides the icons being on the left vs. the right, 7 performs just as well as OS X.

And another thing, Windows 7  is
eek.gif
when it comes to customization.

I have iMacs, Macbooks, Macbook Pro's
tongue.gif
, a Thinkpad
pimp.gif
, and a desktop in the house, but none of them come close to my new ENVY 14
eek.gif
. This thing is amazing. I'm not here to convince anyone HP has amazingly solved its previous quality control problems, because i doubt they have honestly
smh.gif
, but I've also never bought an HP from Bestbuy because I don't buy consumer grade laptops for myself (Consumer grade laptops are designed to wear out in two years so companies have a sustainable revenue model). I typically buy Business class laptops because I have to have a beast for work that can last for at least 3 years. The family has all those Macs because they think Macs are cool but my ENVY has disappeared twice in the past two days, so some of that brand loyalty is in question in the household
laugh.gif
if you know what I mean.
pimp.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by CIDMAN911

The Hypebeasting in this thread is strong.

Thor strong.

laugh.gif

yea, dudes are actually siding with HP (of all PC brands) over a blatant rip-off.. if that isnt hyping, idk what is. 
laugh.gif
grin.gif

that Envy (fitting name) joint is the equivalent of those crappy look-alike Benz Hyundais you see around your neighborhood. 

Thor strong.

laugh.gif

yea, dudes are actually siding with HP (of all PC brands) over a blatant rip-off.. if that isnt hyping, idk what is. 
laugh.gif
grin.gif

that Envy (fitting name) joint is the equivalent of those crappy look-alike Benz Hyundais you see around your neighborhood. 

Awwww they should have came out with this sooner... I just got a macbook pro.. I would of definitley copped this instead....

NOT. No matter what, after everything is said and done THIS UNIT IS STILL AN HP. Ive had bad experiences with HP and thank god they're not from previous purchase. Just ussage.

Awwww they should have came out with this sooner... I just got a macbook pro.. I would of definitley copped this instead....

NOT. No matter what, after everything is said and done THIS UNIT IS STILL AN HP. Ive had bad experiences with HP and thank god they're not from previous purchase. Just ussage.

Those specs are
pimp.gif
but better or not, the Envy straight jacked the Macbook Pro's design. Apple must be doing something right.

Those specs are
pimp.gif
but better or not, the Envy straight jacked the Macbook Pro's design. Apple must be doing something right.

Originally Posted by Guppetto

Okay, I understand that the marketing department at apple is the best in the industry and if you tell people long enough that paying a premium for slightly older technology in a really cool design isn't such a bad idea, it can ingrain strong personal attachment to a particular brand. We aren't exactly posting on Adidas or Reeboktalk if you get what I'm saying and how many retro's has Nike rolled out showcasing old tech in a beautiful package.

I also understand the benefits of putting a really pretty shell on Unix (Major Linux and OS X fan here) from a security perspective. Hell I'm a Software Developer/Computer Engineer that uses all 3 every day. However, with Windows 7 raking in profits unlike anything ever seen before in the industry, that's a harder sell these days. Look, Windows 7 is solid and as much as I love Linux and OS X, I can finally honestly say I'm not afraid to give my Grandmother a computer with windows 7 on there. I never could have said that with XP and I might have still been hesitant with Vista. However, Windows 7 vs OS X is like comparing a Ferrari to a Lamborghini. Both have strong points, but in the end, there really isn't much of a gap (7 is honestly slightly ahead on some usability fronts). It's just personal preference

I love it when people try and quantify their personal preference throwing out one extreme scenario regarding competing products. Look, you paid more for a Macbook Pro and to legitimize that decision, you have convinced yourself you had legitimate reasons based on how you use a computer. It's standard human psychology to defend our choices, no matter how little real validation we have. However, since I know 90% (useless but clever and true statistic) of all people use a computer for Email, music listening, Reading niketalk (Internet Surfing), Youtube, and Facbook/Twitter you're reasoning is a bit faulty at that high of a premium. I make a living with my computer so all the daily use stuff aside, take it form someone that doesn't eat unless their computer performs; the ENVY line this year is a beast. Dedicated components for Audio creation should you decide to produce music / Outstanding Graphics card with the best screen available on a laptop period (and i'm a big thinkpad fan and love their old IPS screens) / and the latest and greatest Intel processors for general computing. The Macbook Pro recently rolled out an update to their processor line, but they're still behind the ENVY chipsets offered.

I'm not attacking the Macbook Pro (Bought moms an iMac the other day), I'm just pointing out that if you take the emotional appeal (Marketing department) that makes you believe you're a little cooler for having a glowing apple on the back of your laptop there is a new king in town. Do the research and you'll come around to a different tune.

Well said. MAD people are buying macbooks more for the brand that what's under the hood. I believe it is safe to say a big majority of people don't even understand the specs of the macbook or any other laptop for that matter. I am currently running a 2010 HP G62 with 4GB RAM, 250 HDD 7200 RPM (faster than what apple offers) and i5 430 at 2.27 ghz with turbo boost to 2.53ghz.
unfortunately i will be selling this laptop because it has a problem with it and it is only 4 months old.

i will be buying a macbook pro 13" because i feel that macbooks, while still a bit overpriced, are very reliable and functions really well. the 13" macbookpro is a step down because its core 2 duo at 2.4 ghz and a hdd at 5400rpm. the flipside is that with os x which is still operates faster than w7, those specs will not be an issue. and while i don't get a powerhouse processor, i will upgrade the battery. if there is one thing macs have against the competition, its the battery life. my boy told me he gets at least an easy 8 hrs with his 13".

my major demands more from a laptop than just web browsing so i kno itll hold me down. but damn people buying expensive laptops for just typing a document or for itunes is kinda dumb..

Okay, I understand that the marketing department at apple is the best in the industry and if you tell people long enough that paying a premium for slightly older technology in a really cool design isn't such a bad idea, it can ingrain strong personal attachment to a particular brand. We aren't exactly posting on Adidas or Reeboktalk if you get what I'm saying and how many retro's has Nike rolled out showcasing old tech in a beautiful package.

I also understand the benefits of putting a really pretty shell on Unix (Major Linux and OS X fan here) from a security perspective. Hell I'm a Software Developer/Computer Engineer that uses all 3 every day. However, with Windows 7 raking in profits unlike anything ever seen before in the industry, that's a harder sell these days. Look, Windows 7 is solid and as much as I love Linux and OS X, I can finally honestly say I'm not afraid to give my Grandmother a computer with windows 7 on there. I never could have said that with XP and I might have still been hesitant with Vista. However, Windows 7 vs OS X is like comparing a Ferrari to a Lamborghini. Both have strong points, but in the end, there really isn't much of a gap (7 is honestly slightly ahead on some usability fronts). It's just personal preference

I love it when people try and quantify their personal preference throwing out one extreme scenario regarding competing products. Look, you paid more for a Macbook Pro and to legitimize that decision, you have convinced yourself you had legitimate reasons based on how you use a computer. It's standard human psychology to defend our choices, no matter how little real validation we have. However, since I know 90% (useless but clever and true statistic) of all people use a computer for Email, music listening, Reading niketalk (Internet Surfing), Youtube, and Facbook/Twitter you're reasoning is a bit faulty at that high of a premium. I make a living with my computer so all the daily use stuff aside, take it form someone that doesn't eat unless their computer performs; the ENVY line this year is a beast. Dedicated components for Audio creation should you decide to produce music / Outstanding Graphics card with the best screen available on a laptop period (and i'm a big thinkpad fan and love their old IPS screens) / and the latest and greatest Intel processors for general computing. The Macbook Pro recently rolled out an update to their processor line, but they're still behind the ENVY chipsets offered.

I'm not attacking the Macbook Pro (Bought moms an iMac the other day), I'm just pointing out that if you take the emotional appeal (Marketing department) that makes you believe you're a little cooler for having a glowing apple on the back of your laptop there is a new king in town. Do the research and you'll come around to a different tune.

Well said. MAD people are buying macbooks more for the brand that what's under the hood. I believe it is safe to say a big majority of people don't even understand the specs of the macbook or any other laptop for that matter. I am currently running a 2010 HP G62 with 4GB RAM, 250 HDD 7200 RPM (faster than what apple offers) and i5 430 at 2.27 ghz with turbo boost to 2.53ghz.
unfortunately i will be selling this laptop because it has a problem with it and it is only 4 months old.

i will be buying a macbook pro 13" because i feel that macbooks, while still a bit overpriced, are very reliable and functions really well. the 13" macbookpro is a step down because its core 2 duo at 2.4 ghz and a hdd at 5400rpm. the flipside is that with os x which is still operates faster than w7, those specs will not be an issue. and while i don't get a powerhouse processor, i will upgrade the battery. if there is one thing macs have against the competition, its the battery life. my boy told me he gets at least an easy 8 hrs with his 13".

my major demands more from a laptop than just web browsing so i kno itll hold me down. but damn people buying expensive laptops for just typing a document or for itunes is kinda dumb..

Originally Posted by proper english

Thor strong.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
grin.gif

Naw homie, the Macbook Pro is like a Jag XKR (Not bad, nice whip, hot, about to buy one in fact)

The ENVY is more like the Aston Martin DB9

Yeah they look very similar (designed by the same guy in fact); the Jag is a beast and has a more storied history, but put it next to that DB9 and "Houston, We Have a Problem".

Ask yourself if there is anything about the look of the ENVY that you don't like? If you think it looks hot, then what's the problem? Did apple corner the market on hot or something? When i pulled my ENVY out the box, i didn't think Apple at all, I said sweet Jesus this thing looks sweet and unlike any PC I've ever seen short of some really cool old Sony models. It's super thin, just the right size and is built like a fine piece of art. In your hand it's nothing like a Macbook actually. It's darker than a mac, has almost a bronze looking top depending on the viewing angle and has a texture on every surface of the unit.

Thor strong.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
grin.gif

Naw homie, the Macbook Pro is like a Jag XKR (Not bad, nice whip, hot, about to buy one in fact)

The ENVY is more like the Aston Martin DB9

Yeah they look very similar (designed by the same guy in fact); the Jag is a beast and has a more storied history, but put it next to that DB9 and "Houston, We Have a Problem".

Ask yourself if there is anything about the look of the ENVY that you don't like? If you think it looks hot, then what's the problem? Did apple corner the market on hot or something? When i pulled my ENVY out the box, i didn't think Apple at all, I said sweet Jesus this thing looks sweet and unlike any PC I've ever seen short of some really cool old Sony models. It's super thin, just the right size and is built like a fine piece of art. In your hand it's nothing like a Macbook actually. It's darker than a mac, has almost a bronze looking top depending on the viewing angle and has a texture on every surface of the unit.

Thor strong.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
grin.gif

Ask yourself if there is anything about the look of the ENVY that you don't like? 

dude, get over it.. it is a blatant copycat of a more successful product.. i didnt say i thought the product looked ugly..its just that there is nothing original about its appeal.. this has nothing to do about the "Apple hype".. i dont understand why you cant get that out of your head. 

Thor strong.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
grin.gif

Ask yourself if there is anything about the look of the ENVY that you don't like? 

dude, get over it.. it is a blatant copycat of a more successful product.. i didnt say i thought the product looked ugly..its just that there is nothing original about its appeal.. this has nothing to do about the "Apple hype".. i dont understand why you cant get that out of your head. 

Originally Posted by bittersweet

Originally Posted by gil23

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

Its not about the specs, its about the OS.
Exactly ...

So what exactly can one do in OS X that just doesn't exist in Windows 7 that is giving you such an incredible experience. See I have both and short of thinking you're cool for having a dock that makes the icons bigger when you hover over them, I'm not buying it at this point in my life. The experience with the OS, is that cool feeling the marketing department sold you for $1700. Or maybe it was the cute girl in the apple store saying go ahead and join the family; don't you want to be cool like me
laugh.gif
. Face it, all you do is open a web browser, type an address, and use your eyes and two right fingers to scroll. Guess what, you can do the same thing on a PS3.

Oh let me guess, you're a design student, well last time I checked the CS suit is available on Mac and Windows and works exactly the same.

Oh, wait, you make music, um read the previous statement.

And of course now you'll probably go to the old stability and speed of the OS crap Steve Jobs feeds you every 120 days when he needs to sell you something new. Ah yes, I'm familiar with this line of thinking every time someone in my family wants me to buy some new Apple cool point products to show off to their other 13-19 year old friends. Yeah there was a time when Windows wasn't so stable but short of you putting a bunch of bloatware on the box, W7 doesn't run one bit slower than OS X.

The Experience: How to brainwash a kid in 3 marketing slides or less!
mad.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by bittersweet

Originally Posted by gil23

Originally Posted by DJprestige21

Its not about the specs, its about the OS.
Exactly ...

So what exactly can one do in OS X that just doesn't exist in Windows 7 that is giving you such an incredible experience. See I have both and short of thinking you're cool for having a dock that makes the icons bigger when you hover over them, I'm not buying it at this point in my life. The experience with the OS, is that cool feeling the marketing department sold you for $1700. Or maybe it was the cute girl in the apple store saying go ahead and join the family; don't you want to be cool like me
laugh.gif
. Face it, all you do is open a web browser, type an address, and use your eyes and two right fingers to scroll. Guess what, you can do the same thing on a PS3.

Oh let me guess, you're a design student, well last time I checked the CS suit is available on Mac and Windows and works exactly the same.

Oh, wait, you make music, um read the previous statement.

And of course now you'll probably go to the old stability and speed of the OS crap Steve Jobs feeds you every 120 days when he needs to sell you something new. Ah yes, I'm familiar with this line of thinking every time someone in my family wants me to buy some new Apple cool point products to show off to their other 13-19 year old friends. Yeah there was a time when Windows wasn't so stable but short of you putting a bunch of bloatware on the box, W7 doesn't run one bit slower than OS X.

The Experience: How to brainwash a kid in 3 marketing slides or less!
mad.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom