ENVY 14/17 (Real Macbook Pro Killer)

Okay, I understand that the marketing department at apple is the best in the industry and if you tell people long enough that paying a premium for slightly older technology in a really cool design isn't such a bad idea, it can ingrain strong personal attachment to a particular brand. We aren't exactly posting on Adidas or Reeboktalk if you get what I'm saying and how many retro's has Nike rolled out showcasing old tech in a beautiful package.

I also understand the benefits of putting a really pretty shell on Unix (Major Linux and OS X fan here) from a security perspective. Hell I'm a Software Developer/Computer Engineer that uses all 3 every day. However, with Windows 7 raking in profits unlike anything ever seen before in the industry, that's a harder sell these days. Look, Windows 7 is solid and as much as I love Linux and OS X, I can finally honestly say I'm not afraid to give my Grandmother a computer with windows 7 on there. I never could have said that with XP and I might have still been hesitant with Vista. However, Windows 7 vs OS X is like comparing a Ferrari to a Lamborghini. Both have strong points, but in the end, there really isn't much of a gap (7 is honestly slightly ahead on some usability fronts). It's just personal preference

I love it when people try and quantify their personal preference throwing out one extreme scenario regarding competing products. Look, you paid more for a Macbook Pro and to legitimize that decision, you have convinced yourself you had legitimate reasons based on how you use a computer. It's standard human psychology to defend our choices, no matter how little real validation we have. However, since I know 90% (useless but clever and true statistic) of all people use a computer for Email, music listening, Reading niketalk (Internet Surfing), Youtube, and Facbook/Twitter you're reasoning is a bit faulty at that high of a premium. I make a living with my computer so all the daily use stuff aside, take it form someone that doesn't eat unless their computer performs; the ENVY line this year is a beast. Dedicated components for Audio creation should you decide to produce music / Outstanding Graphics card with the best screen available on a laptop period (and i'm a big thinkpad fan and love their old IPS screens) / and the latest and greatest Intel processors for general computing. The Macbook Pro recently rolled out an update to their processor line, but they're still behind the ENVY chipsets offered.

I'm not attacking the Macbook Pro (Bought moms an iMac the other day), I'm just pointing out that if you take the emotional appeal (Marketing department) that makes you believe you're a little cooler for having a glowing apple on the back of your laptop there is a new king in town. Do the research and you'll come around to a different tune.

Why do we need a Macbook Pro "killer"/knockoff when we already have so many better laptops, for so much cheaper?

Why do we need a Macbook Pro "killer"/knockoff when we already have so many better laptops, for so much cheaper?

You know you're doing it right when other companies need to attempt to make ________ killers

You know you're doing it right when other companies need to attempt to make ________ killers

Originally Posted by quik1987

pretty much

I'll never fall for the HP okey doke again after mine died on me a few weeks ago. I'm happy with my Macbook, !$*@ the pricetag

Originally Posted by quik1987

pretty much

I'll never fall for the HP okey doke again after mine died on me a few weeks ago. I'm happy with my Macbook, !$*@ the pricetag

OP, my man
pimp.gif

Sold me. Envy looking
eek.gif

I threw the "Killer" Word in the title to get a little rise out of the "Fanboy Faithful"! Nothing is going to convince an 13-19 year old kid that the cool associated with Apple isn't worth about just any price, just like you're not gonna convince most Niketalk fans that the old Adidas Kobe line was a better performance line than his new Nike line. But those with both know the truth.

Yeah HP has a spotty quality control record (can't argue there) but Apple isn't the company you need to go puffing your chest out for. I think most remember their exploding battery problems, Faulty Graphic Card issues, White Laptop Discoloration/cracking problems, Mackbook Pro Extreme Temperature male castration problems; and we all know about the iPhone battery and Antenna issues!

I threw the "Killer" Word in the title to get a little rise out of the "Fanboy Faithful"! Nothing is going to convince an 13-19 year old kid that the cool associated with Apple isn't worth about just any price, just like you're not gonna convince most Niketalk fans that the old Adidas Kobe line was a better performance line than his new Nike line. But those with both know the truth.

Yeah HP has a spotty quality control record (can't argue there) but Apple isn't the company you need to go puffing your chest out for. I think most remember their exploding battery problems, Faulty Graphic Card issues, White Laptop Discoloration/cracking problems, Mackbook Pro Extreme Temperature male castration problems; and we all know about the iPhone battery and Antenna issues!

It's an HP so it will suck. My family and I have owned about 4 HPs that all died on us. What a waste.

It's an HP so it will suck. My family and I have owned about 4 HPs that all died on us. What a waste.

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Ripoff

sad u gotta rip off the design of an Apple product to call it an "Apple product killer"

There's plenty of PCs that are better but this is rediculous
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Ripoff

sad u gotta rip off the design of an Apple product to call it an "Apple product killer"

There's plenty of PCs that are better but this is rediculous
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Guppetto

Okay, I understand that the marketing department at apple is the best in the industry and if you tell people long enough that paying a premium for slightly older technology in a really cool design isn't such a bad idea, it can ingrain strong personal attachment to a particular brand. We aren't exactly posting on Adidas or Reeboktalk if you get what I'm saying and how many retro's has Nike rolled out showcasing old tech in a beautiful package.

I also understand the benefits of putting a really pretty shell on Unix (Major Linux and OS X fan here) from a security perspective. Hell I'm a Software Developer/Computer Engineer that uses all 3 every day. However, with Windows 7 raking in profits unlike anything ever seen before in the industry, that's a harder sell these days. Look, Windows 7 is solid and as much as I love Linux and OS X, I can finally honestly say I'm not afraid to give my Grandmother a computer with windows 7 on there. I never could have said that with XP and I might have still been hesitant with Vista. However, Windows 7 vs OS X is like comparing a Ferrari to a Lamborghini. Both have strong points, but in the end, there really isn't much of a gap (7 is honestly slightly ahead on some usability fronts). It's just personal preference

I love it when people try and quantify their personal preference throwing out one extreme scenario regarding competing products. Look, you paid more for a Macbook Pro and to legitimize that decision, you have convinced yourself you had legitimate reasons based on how you use a computer. It's standard human psychology to defend our choices, no matter how little real validation we have. However, since I know 90% (useless but clever and true statistic) of all people use a computer for Email, music listening, Reading niketalk (Internet Surfing), Youtube, and Facbook/Twitter you're reasoning is a bit faulty at that high of a premium. I make a living with my computer so all the daily use stuff aside, take it form someone that doesn't eat unless their computer performs; the ENVY line this year is a beast. Dedicated components for Audio creation should you decide to produce music / Outstanding Graphics card with the best screen available on a laptop period (and i'm a big thinkpad fan and love their old IPS screens) / and the latest and greatest Intel processors for general computing. The Macbook Pro recently rolled out an update to their processor line, but they're still behind the ENVY chipsets offered.

I'm not attacking the Macbook Pro (Bought moms an iMac the other day), I'm just pointing out that if you take the emotional appeal (Marketing department) that makes you believe you're a little cooler for having a glowing apple on the back of your laptop there is a new king in town. Do the research and you'll come around to a different tune.
well said. Give props where it's due - this HP looks great. It's funny how only people who work IT can appreciate something of great quality coming out like this. I will definitely be taking a look at this when it hits local stores.

The triple monitors looks amazing. Specs and everything else - I am impressed. I'll be checking these out when its time to buy a new laptop. And for all the haters, this is coming from a Macbook Pro user who works in IT. Yes I paid a premium for the Macbook Pro - only because nothing really came close to the quality (and i wanted to learn OSX). Although I am not fond of HP I'd love to try this one out.

Originally Posted by Guppetto

well said. Give props where it's due - this HP looks great. It's funny how only people who work IT can appreciate something of great quality coming out like this. I will definitely be taking a look at this when it hits local stores.

The triple monitors looks amazing. Specs and everything else - I am impressed. I'll be checking these out when its time to buy a new laptop. And for all the haters, this is coming from a Macbook Pro user who works in IT. Yes I paid a premium for the Macbook Pro - only because nothing really came close to the quality (and i wanted to learn OSX). Although I am not fond of HP I'd love to try this one out.

HP always has nice computers, but they only last for a year before self destructing
laugh.gif

I'm not biased BTW. I have a Macbook Pro and an Acer Ferrari w/ Windows 7, and honestly they perform pretty much the same (well the MBP has better battery life and less overheating, but the Ferrari is 3-4 years old though). Besides the icons being on the left vs. the right, 7 performs just as well as OS X.

And another thing, Windows 7  is
eek.gif
when it comes to customization.

HP always has nice computers, but they only last for a year before self destructing
laugh.gif

I'm not biased BTW. I have a Macbook Pro and an Acer Ferrari w/ Windows 7, and honestly they perform pretty much the same (well the MBP has better battery life and less overheating, but the Ferrari is 3-4 years old though). Besides the icons being on the left vs. the right, 7 performs just as well as OS X.

And another thing, Windows 7  is
eek.gif
when it comes to customization.

Back
Top Bottom