Elle lightens Gabourey Sidibe's skin for cover.

Originally Posted by escobarmeth

they shoulda used this picture

drfrcy.jpg

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

as soon as I opened this thread I had a feeling it was all going to be weight talk and nothing about the actual subject
laugh.gif

as soon as I opened this thread I had a feeling it was all going to be weight talk and nothing about the actual subject
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Elle ain't foolin' no one....are we looking at the cover to see that her personality is beautiful? There is ZERO point in having her on the front of that mag.
So what are you trying to say Double J?

i gotta agree with DC. what are you trying to say? she is a celebrity on a magazine cover

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Elle ain't foolin' no one....are we looking at the cover to see that her personality is beautiful? There is ZERO point in having her on the front of that mag.
So what are you trying to say Double J?

i gotta agree with DC. what are you trying to say? she is a celebrity on a magazine cover

Originally Posted by Peteweezy

Originally Posted by methedy23

Mack Lesson Podcasts

- Episode #239 - "The Mammy Image"

- Episode #237 - ___  ^$%#@

Exactly what I was thinking about when I saw this.

I don't pay much attention to Hollywood/Entertainment outside of music these days, so I never even made the connection.

But now that I think about it, the few minutes of "Precious" that I've seen on the internet (I refuse to watch that entire movie) are playing right into old stereotypes. Especially with Monique and this butterball whose name I don't care to know.

Chicken and watermelon anyone?

Originally Posted by Peteweezy

Originally Posted by methedy23

Mack Lesson Podcasts

- Episode #239 - "The Mammy Image"

- Episode #237 - ___  ^$%#@

Exactly what I was thinking about when I saw this.

I don't pay much attention to Hollywood/Entertainment outside of music these days, so I never even made the connection.

But now that I think about it, the few minutes of "Precious" that I've seen on the internet (I refuse to watch that entire movie) are playing right into old stereotypes. Especially with Monique and this butterball whose name I don't care to know.

Chicken and watermelon anyone?

Originally Posted by SiMPLYDiMPLY

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Originally Posted by Al Audi

finnns i swear you despise america haha
laugh.gif

Thank the greedy corporations and fast food mentality that are catering to this obese-acceptable mindset.

This cover is telling young ladies that it's okay to be extremely overweight like Gabourey and that is the wrong message to send. Just my .02.
thank the greedy rich corporations who make money off of poor people.

you're right about america being obese in comparison to the rest of the world. when i was in guayaquil, ecuador - a very very poor town btw- i hardly saw any fat people. the difference between here and there is that there, not many people have the money to capitalize off of the poverty.

here though it's a completely different story. in ny at least, if you go to an affluent neighborhood, you'll find an array of health food options and the money to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

however, if you go to a poorer neighborhood, all you will really find is fast food chains. we all know that unhealthy food is cheaper and more affordable than healthy foods, even in grocery stores. hell even if you go to a grocery store in a poorer neighborhood, you will not find the nearly the same options as you would in whole foods. it's difficult for lower middle class families to maintain a healthy lifestyle when they do not have the time (because they are probably working 40+ hrs a week at a dead end job with odd hours to make the rent), resources, or funding to do so.

i'm not trying to contest you, i understand your argument, and i'm not trying to completely defend obese people. my only critique is that you (and many other people) don't really seem to understand both sides of the story. and understanding is conducive to a solution or at least peace.

obesity is obv not healthy and i'm not condoning it but fast food in general needs to be eradicated. stop profitting off of poverty idk
Lot of good points but let's not act like everyone is willing to change. Some people simply prefer good tasting bad food over "bad tasting" good food. Some are too ignorant to want to change. Some don't like working out. And some simply stick to the "I have some meat on my bones, so?" mentality that plagues America.

I will agree on the subject of options. Around here, go to the more affluent areas (D.C., Rockville, etc.) and there's Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Farmer's Markets, etc... Go to the crappier areas (PG co.) and all you find is fast food, Food Lion (
laugh.gif
), etc... It's almost laughable.

laugh.gif

Thank the greedy corporations and fast food mentality that are catering to this obese-acceptable mindset.

This cover is telling young ladies that it's okay to be extremely overweight like Gabourey and that is the wrong message to send. Just my .02.

you're right about america being obese in comparison to the rest of the world. when i was in guayaquil, ecuador - a very very poor town btw- i hardly saw any fat people. the difference between here and there is that there, not many people have the money to capitalize off of the poverty.

here though it's a completely different story. in ny at least, if you go to an affluent neighborhood, you'll find an array of health food options and the money to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

however, if you go to a poorer neighborhood, all you will really find is fast food chains. we all know that unhealthy food is cheaper and more affordable than healthy foods, even in grocery stores. hell even if you go to a grocery store in a poorer neighborhood, you will not find the nearly the same options as you would in whole foods. it's difficult for lower middle class families to maintain a healthy lifestyle when they do not have the time (because they are probably working 40+ hrs a week at a dead end job with odd hours to make the rent), resources, or funding to do so.

i'm not trying to contest you, i understand your argument, and i'm not trying to completely defend obese people. my only critique is that you (and many other people) don't really seem to understand both sides of the story. and understanding is conducive to a solution or at least peace.

obesity is obv not healthy and i'm not condoning it but fast food in general needs to be eradicated. stop profitting off of poverty idk
Lot of good points but let's not act like everyone is willing to change. Some people simply prefer good tasting bad food over "bad tasting" good food. Some are too ignorant to want to change. Some don't like working out. And some simply stick to the "I have some meat on my bones, so?" mentality that plagues America.

I will agree on the subject of options. Around here, go to the more affluent areas (D.C., Rockville, etc.) and there's Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Farmer's Markets, etc... Go to the crappier areas (PG co.) and all you find is fast food, Food Lion (
laugh.gif

Readers have also raised questionsabout why Sidibe's cover was cropped close to her face while the otherthree covers--featuring Lauren Conrad, Amanda Seyfried and Megan Foxwere zoomed farther out, showing the women's bodies

.. seriously??

but on the topic of skin color, you need to take into account the flash and makeup, and they probably adjusted the contrast a bit so you can see her better. not everything is about race. a lot of of %%#$ is, but not everything.

this. i'm a graphic designer (and black and a liberal, if it matters) and i don't see this as a race thing.

Readers have also raised questionsabout why Sidibe's cover was cropped close to her face while the otherthree covers--featuring Lauren Conrad, Amanda Seyfried and Megan Foxwere zoomed farther out, showing the women's bodies

.. seriously??

but on the topic of skin color, you need to take into account the flash and makeup, and they probably adjusted the contrast a bit so you can see her better. not everything is about race. a lot of of %%#$ is, but not everything.

this. i'm a graphic designer (and black and a liberal, if it matters) and i don't see this as a race thing.

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
But when you're raised like that, you really don't know any better.
(Just saying) ... try to tell a middle-aged Black woman about "aspartame" in diet pop or something.

She wouldn't have enough knowledge on it, and would probably pass it off. "I've been drinking it all this time."

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
But when you're raised like that, you really don't know any better.
(Just saying) ... try to tell a middle-aged Black woman about "aspartame" in diet pop or something.

She wouldn't have enough knowledge on it, and would probably pass it off. "I've been drinking it all this time."

Back
Top Bottom