Edit: extensive listing of foods containing Corn Syrup/HFCS (page 7)

I'm pretty health conscious, so I agree with OP that I try and avoid it. I only drink water so that makes all otherdrinks easy to avoid.

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

Originally Posted by andycrazn

dont forget about MSG and natural flavors

right right.. What's this about "natural flavors?" explain...
natural flavors is the name food companies use to hide msg. if it not pure msg they can name it whatever they want. the most commonly used nameis naturtal flavors. its around 1-20 percent msg,

smh.gif

Is there a list anywhere of what to avoid? Or is it all types breads, cereals, yogurts etc. I eat those three things on the regular.

I mess with all the other things too except soda, but in moderation.

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

Originally Posted by Al Audi

yea i know about those sites never tried em, just heard they are expensive.

it cost money to eat better though..........

So true but if you can spend the extra money it's worth it.
I know, not too long ago Whole Foods got in trouble for selling products that werent exactly organic.
In my Bio class last semester, the teach really focused on health and going green etc. The book Omnivores Dilemma was a informative read and we had to come up with potential plans that would help benefit our campus...usage of organic food, more food choices for vegans, reduce the consumption of water bottles...etc
I know Walmart got in trouble for that.....I never heard about Whole Foods. Do you have the article on Whole Foods getting in trouble?

I do all my grocery shopping at Whole Food and the local co-op.

I might be a paying more for groceries but I'd rather eat well and not put garbage in my body. Probably 90% of the stuff I consume is organic--- the other10% is natural without ingredients like corn syrup.

There are organic alternatives to everything I listed in my initial post. There are tons of organic sports drinks out there that are fairly priced and bettertasting than anything gatorade makes. Same goes for the other products as well.

No you not.
It used to drive my mom crazy how long it took for me to get something, because I always stop to read the ingredients.

Originally Posted by SenatorJeffSmith

I might be a paying more for groceries but I'd rather eat well and not put garbage in my body. Probably 90% of the stuff I consume is organic--- the other 10% is natural without ingredients like corn syrup.

There are organic alternatives to everything I listed in my initial post. There are tons of organic sports drinks out there that are fairly priced and better tasting than anything gatorade makes. Same goes for the other products as well.
I'm the exact same way. It does cost a bit more, but I always have tons of energy and I have lost 20+ pounds since last year since switchingto a diet exclusively from Whole Foods.

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

I don't really think its that serious. My grandfather is damn near 80 looks 55 in perfect health and has never worried about any of this stuff. The stress ya'll cause yaselfs worrying about whats in the food you eat will kill ya'll before the actual food itself i swear.
your grandfather most likely grew up eating food that did not contain HFCS for the majority of his life though.

it's hard to avoid...but I def am making a more concerted effort to not eat anything with it...or at least try to limit the amount of things that Iconsume.

For those looking for Protein Powder. Get JayRobb Protein. Hes won a ton of awards and it taste delicious. Its all natural an it only list like 4 ingredientsunlike all that other crap powders that take the whole label to list ingredients. Also Trader joes is your best freind most of their stuff is cheap and waycheaper than whole foods

SenatorJeffSmith wrote:

I might be a paying more for groceries but I'd rather eat well and not put garbage in my body. Probably 90% of the stuff I consume is organic--- the other 10% is natural without ingredients like corn syrup.

There are organic alternatives to everything I listed in my initial post. There are tons of organic sports drinks out there that are fairly priced and better tasting than anything gatorade makes. Same goes for the other products as well.

What's your weekly/monthly grocery bill look like?

I stick to ionized water if I'm drinking anything. Works wonders, only been drinking for a few days and I've noticed changes in my skin, appetite, andoverall energy.

FDA tryna kill us with the HFCS tho.

$138 for a 5 lb bucket? I'd rather use TP. Thanks for the info though.

My grandfather is damn near 80 looks 55 in perfect health and has never worried about any of this stuff.

Dude he was born in the 1930's, the food he ate then to say the 70's isn't the same food we eat now.

HFCS was rapidly introduced to many processed foods and soft drinks in the U.S. from about 1975 to 1985.

If people stopped doing everything that someone else told them was bad, then we would all just do nothing and die.

Originally Posted by J Burner

If people stopped doing everything that someone else told them was bad, then we would all just do nothing and die.

Uh, not quite.

Originally Posted by Joseph Camel Jr

finnns2003 wrote:
i also avoid a lot of products with that stuff in it.

mmmhm

corn syrup isnt the only thing to avoid either. there is so much crap in our food these days
tired.gif

all you can do is try your best.
word i hate how little people care about it too. most people are ok with eating garbage all day and so there isn't all that much oversight. and the fda is a joke.

laugh.gif
You ever see the full page ad in the WSJ trying to comeacross like, "hey we're not bad".

My fiance and I attempted to avoid EVERYTHING with HFCS....realized it's impossible, but we've vastly improved our overall diets by just beingcognizant of that and picking and choosing more carefully.

Originally Posted by J Burner

Word I take daily laps in the Mississippi
pimp.gif

Farmer's markets ftw.

I just switched to fortified soy milk from regular milk after reading Meth's post in the Food Inc. thread.

Also, I'm trying to eat more vegan/vegetarian food but I'm not quitting chicken & turkey.

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

dont forget about MSG and natural flavors

right right.. What's this about "natural flavors?" explain...
natural flavors is the name food companies use to hide msg. if it not pure msg they can name it whatever they want. the most commonly used name is naturtal flavors. its around 1-20 percent msg,

Damn.. I didnt know that. I'm going to look this up. Thanks for the information.

^definitely.
although I can't say that I'm going to cut out meat completely, Meth's replies there surely made me rethink my diet a bit.

Originally Posted by Mastamind89

yea i know about those sites never tried em, just heard they are expensive.

it cost money to eat better though..........

So true but if you can spend the extra money it's worth it.
I know, not too long ago Whole Foods got in trouble for selling products that werent exactly organic.
In my Bio class last semester, the teach really focused on health and going green etc. The book Omnivores Dilemma was a informative read and we had to come up with potential plans that would help benefit our campus...usage of organic food, more food choices for vegans, reduce the consumption of water bottles...etc

thats another sad thing

companies lyin to us

stuff not livin up to its label claims
tired.gif
qft man. my advice is... if you're buying organic, try to find farmer's markets. whole foods is 'alright'.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

Originally Posted by malikdagoat

I don't really think its that serious. My grandfather is damn near 80 looks 55 in perfect health and has never worried about any of this stuff. The stress ya'll cause yaselfs worrying about whats in the food you eat will kill ya'll before the actual food itself i swear.
your grandfather most likely grew up eating food that did not contain HFCS for the majority of his life though.

it's hard to avoid...but I def am making a more concerted effort to not eat anything with it...or at least try to limit the amount of things that I consume.
yea--and when it comes to my nephew, I DEFINITELY try not to give him stuff with it. I didn't even want him to know what butter tasted like,but I think that's a done deal thanks to my Mom and Stepdad.

Which butter is something that I tried to give up....but pancakes, toast, eggs, wit' no butter?? Can't do itman
smh.gif

And let's not even go there on meat--I'mma always tear that !*%+ up
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom