Eddie Murphy Not To Play Pryor in Biopic (but guess who might be...)

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/take5-10-12-09.html

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Eddie Murphy Drops Out of Richard Pryor Biopic[/h3]
Eddie Murphy has always credited Richard Pryor as being his inspiration for getting into comedy. Murphy did a pitch-perfect imitation of Pryor in his concert film, "Raw," and he cast his idol in his sole directorial effort, "Harlem Nights." It seemed natural when it was announced earlier this year that Murphy would star in a film about Pryor's life.

So it was a big shock when Entertainment Weekly broke the story last week that Murphy was dropping out of the Pryor biopic. The movie, called "Richard Pryor: Is it Something I Said," will be written and directed by Bill Condon. Condon also made "Dreamgirls," the 2006 musical that earned Murphy his only Oscar nomination. According to the report, Murphy left over conflicts with the project's original studio, Paramount Pictures.

Even more surprising is the identity of the star who is stepping into the role of Pryor: Marlon Wayans. Best known for the comedies he has made with his brothers like "Scary Movie," Wayans had a big action hit this year with "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra." But he has also given a few critically acclaimed performances, most notably as a heroin addict in "Requiem for a Dream."

EW.com reports that Wayans filmed a 13-minute screen test where he "transforms into Pryor" that secured the role for him. Condon used a similar approach while making "Dreamgirls" to prove that Beyoncé Knowles was right for the lead in that film.

While the movie will obviously have its share of comedy -- its producers include Adam Sandler and Chris Rock, along with Pryor's widow Jennifer Lee Pryor -- it will also tell the dramatic story of the comic's battles with drug addiction. There is no word yet if it goes into Pryor's later years when he was confined to a wheelchair due to multiple sclerosis. The film is set to begin shooting in the spring.

Cliffs:
-Murphy out...Marlon in

I like it....check what Marlon did in Requiem for a Dream before judging whether or not he is right for this role. Dude CAN act....

lol Marlon is a serious actor tho. def not the strong silent type but he gets in a role and stands out because he is a diff kind of talent. good kind ofdifferent too

Since Eddit wont do it what about Eddie? Will he do it?

Also Marlon Wayans is one of the most underrated actors of this generations (forget his horrible performance in that despicable movie, GI Joes).
-The Juice

I'm extremely disappointed in eddie murphy. sounds like he doesn't want to put the work in on a real movie. I understand selling out but after all thekid movies and norbit, meet dave BS, do a real damn movie.

and yes marlon waynes can act, I think he might be great for the role. But eddie was perfect for the damn role. I'm very upset.

I think Marlon is gonna train his *$% off for this role. His role in Requiem gives me confidence in him.

Originally Posted by ILL LEGAL OPERATION

If done right, Marlon's career is about to soar.
totally agree... i really think that he got some serious actin ability.. i mean.. yall can hull me all you want... but marlon wayan's gofed...

they just gotta promote it right cuz if so, people w// notice how good of an actor he is...

no pole-jockin...

Eddie would have been perfect. I dont know, Marlon just doesnt seem like he cant pull it off. I dont even think he's that good of an actor.

i'm sure eddie quit because of the script or production....it might paint pryor in a way he didn't want it to or something like that....

Back
Top Bottom