Dressing better

I was just wondering what type of shoe is usually for fall/winter?

Like how summer is for boat shoes, what is it for fall/winter?

boots, famalam. red wings, cookies, etc. i saw some 8" timbs that i think i'm gonna body for the winter.. it's about to get real in the field.

but i'm looking for sweaters similar to these, brand doesn't matter:

picture_005_1200421356.jpg

i have two from uniqlo that are similar but i want some more. streetwear fell off with these weak crewnecks so i'm about to mess with thick cardigans andzipups like the one above.

where can i find a reasonably priced dark gingham for fall? I don't really like the fit of the Gap ones... and I bought a green Lacoste for $110. Can'tdo that again.

Originally Posted by McFlyyy

boots, famalam. red wings, cookies, etc. i saw some 8" timbs that i think i'm gonna body for the winter.. it's about to get real in the field.

but i'm looking for sweaters similar to these, brand doesn't matter:

picture_005_1200421356.jpg

i have two from uniqlo that are similar but i want some more. streetwear fell off with these weak crewnecks so i'm about to mess with thick cardigans and zipups like the one above.

I need something like this w/o the designs, just a solid navy or black.

Also my cousin was wondering because he asked my opinion, if he was going for the black suit look, should he just wear a black tie and plain white button up?He was wondering what other type of combos he could go for

Originally Posted by eeibaby

Also my cousin was wondering because he asked my opinion, if he was going for the black suit look, should he just wear a black tie and plain white button up? He was wondering what other type of combos he could go for

if he is going for a formal event, then the black with white shirt and black tie is fine. generally a black suit is a fashion faux pas except for formalevents.

however, if that is what he has - i would recommend going with a white first and a gold tie ... or a white shirt with a light blue tie. he can also do a lightblue shirt, with a navy tie.

good looks again on the H+M coupon -
also hit macys for a few items-

24lok90.jpg

prob head back to H+M this weekend - need a better game plan tho - after peeping my receipt i coulda saved alot more by buying certain items together /separate
laugh.gif
but I aint into all the returning and rebuying stuff and thesale was good to me as is -

I was in H&M yesterday and didn't find much I cared for...there were a couple scarves I liked but they weren't traditional scarves and tiedoddly...I also would kill someone at this point for a plain black cardigan for a decent price and can't find anything
laugh.gif
I think styles are evolving fromlast year's standard cardigan...

Originally Posted by Nako XL

where can i find a reasonably priced dark gingham for fall? I don't really like the fit of the Gap ones... and I bought a green Lacoste for $110. Can't do that again.

Last time I checked J. Crew had a few for $60.

Originally Posted by Copp 2 Of Em

^ well damn.
pimp.gif

ec1157ed58790ba2d0500322c9c84057ee43d17.jpg

^ anyone know where I can get a book just like this?
This is from Topman, however they don't ship to Canada.
Any help would be appreciated... RFX I'm lookin at you again homie lol

I was in banana republic the other day and I saw some boots similar to this but not distressed like those.

They had a Black and Brown. I plan on scooping the black ones this weekend.

Originally Posted by Copp 2 Of Em

^ well damn.
pimp.gif

ec1157ed58790ba2d0500322c9c84057ee43d17.jpg

^ anyone know where I can get a book just like this?
This is from Topman, however they don't ship to Canada.
Any help would be appreciated... RFX I'm lookin at you again homie lol

Looks somewhat similar to my Paul Smith Corso's.
10qvzpf.jpg

Gravitypope.com is located in Canada and they carry PS shoes if you want to check it out.
To be honest though, only Paul Smith and John Varvatos provides pre-distressed boots/shoes out there, of at least decent quality without going over crazy inprices although it isn't thrifty itself.
Depending on the price-point, Alden makes great wingtip boots.

Plenty of European shoemakers make wingtip boots too, mostly for cheaper price than Alden too and quality is usually great.
Check out Grenson, Trickers, C&J, etc...
Other than that, I can't find much alternative at a much lower price point, especially for the look you are looking for.
If you are looking at a chelsea boot instead of a lace-up, CK and Frye might be able to provide an alternative for less than $200.

Gilt is still having a Barker Black sale if y'all are interested...nice leather shoes, but even on sale, out of my price range
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by SirDilbert2k10

Originally Posted by Nako XL

where can i find a reasonably priced dark gingham for fall? I don't really like the fit of the Gap ones... and I bought a green Lacoste for $110. Can't do that again.

Last time I checked J. Crew had a few for $60.

thanks i'll check them out later

Some good advice from GQ, again, take it with a grain of salt.

00001f.jpg

Mistake 1: The Schlumpy Leather Jacket
Problem: There's nothing modern-or even retro-cool-about a leather jacket that fits like a rain poncho.

00002f.jpg

Solution: When trying on a new leather jacket, keep going down a size until you can't get it on, then buy the next size up. It should feel snug as awetsuit but will take your body's shape over time. The coolest style right now? The bomber you see here.

(This first suggestion is actually a really good one, not just for jackets but for almost anything. Of course you need to think about other parts of theequation, ie: with a suit, the jacket with too small of a shoulder might still fit you because of how big and boxy it is, keep in mind the right size and lookon the suits shoulders.)

00003f.jpg

Mistake 2: The Barack Obama Jeans
Problem: Whitewashed high-waisted jeans aren't just dorky-they also emphasize all the wrong parts of your body.

00004f.jpg

Solution: Medium-rise raw denim jeans sit at the most flatter place (on your hips), follow your legs (instead of saddlebagging out from your waist), andform-fit to you as you break them in. Oh, and while you're at it, replace the Seinfeld-esque running shoes with some lace-ups or classic sneaks.

00005f.jpg

Mistake 3: The Cheap Printed Tie
Problem: Let's pretend this tie isn't a little ugly. And tied too long. It still isn't working. Why? A cheap thin silk tie gets you an unacceptablytiny knot.

00006f.jpg

Solution: Go for a sturdier silk, which'll make for a solid knot. Plus, keep any patterns understated. Also, a quick note on length: The tip of your tieshould not hang below the waistline of your pants.

00007f.jpg

Mistake 4: Sagging Suit Pants
Problem: Just bought a cool skinny suit? It ain't cool if it stacks up at your ankles like baggy jeans.

00008f.jpg

Solution: Take your suit to a tailor and tell him you don't want a break. Those are the words you should use: "I want this suit hemmed with little orno break." Period.
Remember: Tailors are used to working with guys who don't know what they want. Be assertive so he understands that you're after a specific look anddon't just want "the usual."

00009f.jpg

Mistake 5: The Pancake Collar
Problem: When you're not wearing a tie, the collar on your dress shirt flattens out and sinks beneath the lapels of your jacket. The look? Sloppy.

00010f.jpg

Solution: First, look for dress shirts with firm collars that stand up on their own., framing your face. Second, use collar stays. You know, those littleplastic things. Every proper dress shirt has slots for them.

00011f.jpg

Mistake 6: Right Suit, Wrong Belt
Problem: You want Tiger Woods's swing, not his style, especially when wearing a suit. A silver-tipped faux cowboy belt is not a dress belt. If you'vegot one, retire it.

00012f.jpg

Solution: Invest in a high-quality leather strap that's an inch to an inch and a half wide. If it smells and feels buttery, that means it'll agebeautifully. And the buckle should be subtle.

00013f.jpg

Mistake 7: The Oversize Suit
Problem: You invested in a dark handsome suit, but you look a little…eh in it. Know why? It's a size too big, and all that extra material is boxing(shoulders), sagging (waist), and flopping (ankles).

00014f.jpg

Solution: Repeat the leather-jacket method from the opening page. When trying on a suit, keep going down a size in the jacket until it gets uncomfortable. Thengo one size up and buy that. And unless you're over six feet two, buy a regular length, not a long.

^All good advice from GQ there...I have too much stuff that's too big because my mom made me go a size up a few years back when I was still living at home.

Side note: had an interview today and took pics of my suit/tie combo...if anyone doesn't mind uploading pics I wouldn't mind showing you guys what Idid with it...

Originally Posted by JDB1523

^All good advice from GQ there...I have too much stuff that's too big because my mom made me go a size up a few years back when I was still living at home.

Side note: had an interview today and took pics of my suit/tie combo...if anyone doesn't mind uploading pics I wouldn't mind showing you guys what I did with it...
Go ahead. That's all we do anyway in this thread...just take pix of random crap we have.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by tee eye ehm

i need this in my life...

erez

but
sick.gif
at the $600 price tag...

I don't know if I care for the idea of a dark denim, or denim at all, over coat. I always picture over coats as being able to shield you from adverseweather (cold, rain, snow, etc.), but if that thing gets wet, you'll have indigo remains stained all over your shirt and pants.

Back
Top Bottom