Dressing better

Is it possible for a tailor to widen the waist and thigh of suit pants (by about an inch, if that), if so what do you estimate the cost would be and would itmake the rest of the fit akward?

Originally Posted by Adidas Freak

Is it possible for a tailor to widen the waist and thigh of suit pants (by about an inch, if that), if so what do you estimate the cost would be and would it make the rest of the fit akward?

thigh, no. waist, possibly. look at the inside and see if there is some material folded in there.

shouldn't be more than 15-20$ for the waist. and most suits require tailoring, a good tailor will fix the awkwardness.

Yeah it feels like theres some folded material inside of the waist. Thanks.

Originally Posted by artysm

Originally Posted by Disfunctional

TOBI

GETOUT40 for 40% off, except these restricted brands:

Anthony Logistics for Men, A.P.C., Comme des Garcons, Hudson Jeans, Nixon, Robin's Jeans, T by Alexander Wang

even on common projects!

USE JUNE09 for 15% off storewide, INCLUDING the restricted brands.

EDIT: ++$@ is expired, total crap

Forgot to mention it was one day only
embarassed.gif

Aloharag is having a 40-50% off sale on almost everything ......Common projects for165-175
eek.gif

Edit: 30% off Tobi.com code

promo-070209_02.jpg

Yo Paul check your PM.

Nice looking out on the bucks Ty. Might have to try those on this weekend.

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by jumpmankb

tried on some levi 514s last night. 30-30 fit perfect but im afraid they are gonna shrink, 31-30 fit weird, 30-32 fit really good but were just a little bit long (but im used to jeans being kinda baggy anyways), 31-32 fit good but not as good as the 30-32. i dont think im gonna get the 30-30 because when theyre shrink theyre gonna be too short i think and i wont like them. so my question....

should i get the 30-32 or 31-32? when i pull the front of the jeans out in the 30-32 i have about 2 inches and have about 2.5 - 3 inches in the 31-32. but i look better in the 30-32. do they shrink a lot?
If 30/30 fits you perfectly, get it. However if you have 2 inches of space around your waist, that is BAGGY, and they will stretch out even more after several wears. You should be able to put your fingers in there, but they should not be falling off your waist, even without a belt.

Lengthwise, they don't shrink much. I find that Levi's length is longer than other companys. All of my jeans are 30/30 and Levi's are always the longest.
definitely true. but if its 100% cotton itll shrink. cause my 511 denims always shrink but stretches out after wears

514- slim in the thigh area all the way down (straight fit but slimmer)

511-slim in the the thigh area but tapered from the knee down.

As suggested, get the 30/30. It will definitely stretch and you'd be complaining how loose it is in a few weeks.
Do not worry about shrinking as it will only shrink after a wash, which wouldn't happen too often, I think I wash mine once every 6 months or longer.
And before anyone says, I wear my jeans about once or twice a week max.
Either way, after a wash, it just goes back to the regular/original size so it doesn't really shrink per say and it will stretch back again after a fewwears anyways.

Originally Posted by shoeshi

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by jumpmankb

tried on some levi 514s last night. 30-30 fit perfect but im afraid they are gonna shrink, 31-30 fit weird, 30-32 fit really good but were just a little bit long (but im used to jeans being kinda baggy anyways), 31-32 fit good but not as good as the 30-32. i dont think im gonna get the 30-30 because when theyre shrink theyre gonna be too short i think and i wont like them. so my question....

should i get the 30-32 or 31-32? when i pull the front of the jeans out in the 30-32 i have about 2 inches and have about 2.5 - 3 inches in the 31-32. but i look better in the 30-32. do they shrink a lot?
If 30/30 fits you perfectly, get it. However if you have 2 inches of space around your waist, that is BAGGY, and they will stretch out even more after several wears. You should be able to put your fingers in there, but they should not be falling off your waist, even without a belt.

Lengthwise, they don't shrink much. I find that Levi's length is longer than other companys. All of my jeans are 30/30 and Levi's are always the longest.
definitely true. but if its 100% cotton itll shrink. cause my 511 denims always shrink but stretches out after wears
Most denims do that. From my $30 Levi's to $250 Rock And Republic, the waist stretches out after a couple of wears. The only jeans thatdon't stretch out for me are my selvedge ones.

I can't even squeeze into a 511, the thighs are just too tight. 514 was a good fit for me.

I hate it when things go on sale...
Just pulled the trigger on theses:

Paul Smith Granada
s9xd-b166-cub-n3-22818.jpg

Paul Smith Trucker Jacket
j9fj-819h-605-e-26935.jpg

So glad some of the other items are sold out in my size or I would have been $2k buried.
laugh.gif

I need help...

Sell half of your stuff and upgraded to an IS-F, man. I feel bad when I go to the mall to pay bills and end up spending a bill or so on 'on sale'stuff. I can't even spend 2k nonchalantly like that.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Grizzlyboy

Originally Posted by 703FlipFiend

HELP NEEDED: Hey, NT. I've never dressed up past a button up with a tie before. I've never gone with a full suit. However, I have a wedding to go to next Friday. I was hoping for some advice on what shirt/tie combo would look good... color-wise. I'm just borrowing aka stealing my brother's old suit that he hasn't used in 3 years. The fit is great, but I just don't know what to wear on the inside.

Here's a picture of the suit.. well the jacket at least.
2qx02uo.jpg

Here's a close-up of the texture or whatever.
slllag.jpg

I'm guessing I should wear brown shoes?
embarassed.gif
I really have no idea.

Thanks, NT!
Yes a brown lace up would be nice, please don't forget the matching belt. I would do a sky blue shirt without a tie. When you say the suit fits well...There is nothing like owning your own suits and getting them tailored. The arm lengths and torso fitting is very important. IMO

http://bananarepublic.gap...id=5376&oid=OUT14303
My bad, folks. This is from 10 pages back. Are we talking about some dark brown shoes or some light brown shoes?
embarassed.gif

laugh.gif

I don't know.
I am kind of out of my car phase already.
I promised that my next car purchase will be a Porsche Cayman or an Audi A5.
Plus the IS line will be due for a new model in a year or two so the IS-F I know I might get tired of it.

Funny enough, I visited the Lexus dealership this weekend and was so close to trading my IS250 in for the IS350-C.
If they didn't have waiting list and the car didn't have that damn fin on the top of the windshield and that antenna on the side, I might have been ona bigger hole by now.

Originally Posted by Grizzlyboy

HELP NEEDED: Hey, NT. I've never dressed up past a button up with a tie before. I've never gone with a full suit. However, I have a wedding to go to next Friday. I was hoping for some advice on what shirt/tie combo would look good... color-wise. I'm just borrowing aka stealing my brother's old suit that he hasn't used in 3 years. The fit is great, but I just don't know what to wear on the inside.

embarassed.gif
I really have no idea.

Thanks, NT!
Yes a brown lace up would be nice, please don't forget the matching belt. I would do a sky blue shirt without a tie. When you say the suit fits well...There is nothing like owning your own suits and getting them tailored. The arm lengths and torso fitting is very important. IMO

My bad, folks. This is from 10 pages back. Are we talking about some dark brown shoes or some light brown shoes?
embarassed.gif

Either would work. I think the light brown will stand out more but a darker brown will be more versatile.
For example, this light brown shoes would look great:
s9xc-c024-cpi-b15-24866.jpg

But is isn't as versatile as:
s9xc-a028-wsh-s25-22257.jpg

You can work more clothes into the dark brown than the light brown.

wj4, rfx and co ... nuff respect on all the knowledge and links you've been dropping on this thread. been a busy few weeks so cant help ... but justwanted to shout yall out and say you guys are doing a great job...

the heat in the A really picked up, so you'll see more casual fits from the past few days:

Ignore the goofy looking face - wifey was cracking me up:

That last set up is the definition of all around American look IMO..navy blazer, khaki's, and brown shoes. I don't know how you can tolerate suits inthe summer...so freaking hot! When I go to my cousin's wedding in a few weeks, I'm going to say in a wife beater and boxer until the very last minutebefore putting the suit on.
laugh.gif

Great combo's as usual.
I like that blue blazer, I'm jealous because I don't think i can pull that off.
Too much shirt sleeves on the 3rd pic but the suit fits you real well.
Your set reminds me that I need more pocket squares.

Originally Posted by wj4

That last set up is the definition of all around American look IMO..navy blazer, khaki's, and brown shoes. I don't know how you can tolerate suits in the summer...so freaking hot! When I go to my cousin's wedding in a few weeks, I'm going to say in a wife beater and boxer until the very last minute before putting the suit on.
laugh.gif

It only has gotten hot lately in SoCal though, it looks like it is finally starting though. I was enjoying the somewhat cool summer before taking my cottonsuits out.

^Thanks for the help, man. Very appreciated. Now I just need to go out and buy the shoes before the wedding tomorrow morning haha.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Grizzlyboy wrote:

703FlipFiend wrote:

HELP NEEDED: Hey, NT. I've never dressed up past a button up with a tie before. I've never gone with a full suit. However,
I have a wedding to go to next Friday. I was hoping for some advice on what shirt/tie combo would look good... color-wise. I'm just borrowing aka
stealing my brother's old suit that he hasn't used in 3 years. The fit is great, but I just don't know what to wear on the inside.

embarassed.gif
I really have no
idea.

Thanks, NT!
Yes a brown lace up would be nice, please don't forget the matching belt. I would do a sky blue shirt without a tie. When you say the suit
fits well...There is nothing like owning your own suits and getting them tailored. The arm lengths and torso fitting is very important. IMO

embarassed.gif

Either would work. I think the light brown will stand out more but a darker brown will be more versatile.

For example, this light brown shoes would look great:

s9xc-c024-cpi-b15-24866.jpg

But is isn't as versatile as:

s9xc-a028-wsh-s25-22257.jpg

You can work more clothes into the dark brown than the light brown.

I disagree, but then again maybe I'm just more adventurous. I wear tan shoes with almost everything

Tan is borderline casual and more difficult to pull off while a darker brown can go with most tones, both light and dark.
Plus as a starter and if you only have two pairs of dress shoe, it is a solid choice to pick black and dark brown instead of black and tan.
It covers more grounds and you can easily match a belt with it.
If you wore a suit with tan shoes and wore a tan belt, that would look a bit casual and stand out too much.
I am not saying it can't be pulled off but as a safe choice, especially for those who would only buy/need 1-2 pairs of dress shoes, I say pick the darkbrown over the tan.

Originally Posted by YoungSole93

can you wear a polo short sleeve button up with cargos and boats all together?
I think it will work, but I'm not a fan of cargo shorts/pants. Those extra pockets ruin it for me. You do mean a Polo short sleeve button upand not a Polo polo, right? Either way, if everything fits nicely (no pun intended), it should look OK, albeit regular shorts would be way better IMO.

Back
Top Bottom