Dressing Better Vol 2.0

^ ^ ^
While I agree with most of what he wrote, he did sound mad and angry about the whole thing.

If on a budget, I always suggest asking yourself before purchasing: "is this a need or a want?" If it is a need (need a blazer for a job interview) then buy. If it is a want (I want the blazer to look fly in my date) then you can probably skip that purchase.

It's not perfect but it's a good motto to start with.

I noticed a little anger too...

You're right about the needs and wants too. You have to try to stop that impulse shopping as well. Some people just buy two or three different colors of the same thing and end up wearing only one. Just because it's on sale doesn't mean you have to go all out. Just grab the one that you want and keep it moving.

I just wanted some opinions from you guys... I will be receiving my masters on May 13th, and i will become an official full time employee at my agency the day after (with a huge party to boot) as most of you know I have been working at the same place since I was a junior in college, which I majored in business admin.

I was thinking suit for graduation ceremony, with something more fun for the party.

Planning ahead 5 months is insane, but necessary :lol:

Opinions? :nerd:

I just wanted some opinions from you guys... I will be receiving my masters on May 13th, and i will become an official full time employee at my agency the day after (with a huge party to boot) as most of you know I have been working at the same place since I was a junior in college, which I majored in business admin.

I was thinking suit for graduation ceremony, with something more fun for the party.

Planning ahead 5 months is insane, but necessary
laugh.gif

Opinions?
nerd.gif
Do you have a TOJ jacket or something similiar? You could go with a nice white shirt, tie, and black jacket with dark jeans to the party. Always a nice combo.

I guess this applies to some but me being in my early 30's.  I don't have to worry about renting and buying school books with a very small budget.  Yes the wife and I have a mortgage but the salary is now at a point where we aren't scrapping by to pay for stuff.  Personally if I can't pay more for quality I will wait to buy when I can, I will not buy lesser quality items just because I want something now.

yeah that's why it was more directed towards college students on a really fixed income like myself.

The main thing I agree on is the ties, the tie bar is really nice. I feel like I'll still be buying their ties once I do have more spending money. Shoes on the other hand though are completely different.

RFX I need to live by what you said. I don't need half of the crap I buy, and most of the time I'll wear it once and that's it. Been in the process of cutting down on my wardrobe all together and starting over on stuff that I'll actually wear.

thanks Wis i really do appreciate the love. i definitely owe a lot to this thread and to its many frequent posters. you guys have definitely steered me in the right path, style-wise, and can't wait to see what happens next :pimp:
also JordanScrub, yea the back row, 2nd on the right is a pair of beeswax DBs. got em back in high school from the girlfriend at the time. this past xmas marks 4 yrs that i have had them. thank god for mink oil :lol:

You're in college right?

How did you manage to cop all those AE's...

I've always been a fan of partying in a suit. I mean, Rat Pack style. As the night goes on the jacket comes off. Then a lady loosens my tie. I just like the progression. And when I show up I places in a suit they treat me better. Carry cash baby. It's gonna be a long night.

thanks Wis i really do appreciate the love. i definitely owe a lot to this thread and to its many frequent posters. you guys have definitely steered me in the right path, style-wise, and can't wait to see what happens next :pimp:
also JordanScrub, yea the back row, 2nd on the right is a pair of beeswax DBs. got em back in high school from the girlfriend at the time. this past xmas marks 4 yrs that i have had them. thank god for mink oil :lol:

You're in college right?

yes, finishing my undergrad this may. i started buying Allen Edmonds last winter during nordstrom's half-yearly sale. i picked up my walnut player's for $220 with some xmas/birthday money, the black player's were copped for $160 worn 2x about a month ago, and the brown clifton's were purchased last week with xmas/birthday money for $200 during this year's half-yearly sale. ballin' on a budget :pimp:

edit: I don't mind telling Jason :lol: i'd rather not you guys think the things i post in this thread were given to me by mommy and daddy. i do my best to save with the meager job i have at school haha (in case you don't remember, i'm the school's mascot) and shop around the deals. completely understandable why someone would ask

Last edited:

Very nice man, they look great. 4 years is awesome for a par of beeswax DBs, you can definitely tell that they have worn in nicely and have been taken care of
thanks man. i actually never treated the leather until this year...you shouldve seen how much of a beating they took prior to that (i actually posted a before and after in here awhile back)
right now though, they do what the need. i usually end up wearing em to parties or when i'm bumming to class. only problem is that my crepe sole is officially done for. when it's even slightly raining out, the water seeps through and i always end up with dampened socks :smh: basically, i just do my best to avoid puddles of spilled beer at those parties :lol:

I've always been a fan of partying in a suit. I mean, Rat Pack style. As the night goes on the jacket comes off. Then a lady loosens my tie. I just like the progression. And when I show up I places in a suit they treat me better. Carry cash baby. It's gonna be a long night.

I was thinking I might just do that, thing is I wear a suit almost everyday to work so I want to change it up a little.

Don't need to carry cash either, party is at a club and all my drinks are paid for by the boss man :wink:

Very nice man, they look great. 4 years is awesome for a par of beeswax DBs, you can definitely tell that they have worn in nicely and have been taken care of
thanks man. i actually never treated the leather until this year...you shouldve seen how much of a beating they took prior to that (i actually posted a before and after in here awhile back)
right now though, they do what the need. i usually end up wearing em to parties or when i'm bumming to class. only problem is that my crepe sole is officially done for. when it's even slightly raining out, the water seeps through and i always end up with dampened socks :smh: basically, i just do my best to avoid puddles of spilled beer at those parties :lol:

I hear you with the spilled alcohol man, I've had to do some serious cleaning of my shoes because of it :lol:

Speaking of spilled alcohol, my shirt and suit got covered by champaign at a party when midnight hit. Ended up just wearing this :lol:

*please excuse the peace sign, I was GONE :lol:

Last edited:
figured now that birthday/holidays has rolled on by it would be a good time to take another collection pic...although i'm still not touching Wis's
laugh.gif
frown.gif
if you would please give me the name/brand of each shoe in this pic it would make my year! sweet collection!

figured now that birthday/holidays has rolled on by it would be a good time to take another collection pic...although i'm still not touching Wis's :lol: :frown:
if you would please give me the name/brand of each shoe in this pic it would make my year! sweet collection!
haha no problem man. alright i'll go row by row from left to right.
1st row:
-Cole Haan Air Aiden Loafer's in British Tan.
-Allen Edmonds Player's Shoe in Walnut.
-Allen Edmonds Player's Shoe in Black.
-Allen Edmonds Clifton in Brown.
(lol every single one of these is apart of Nordstrom's half-yearly sale currently btw)

2nd row:
-Bass Brockton in Tan.
-1901s McCasey in Tan.
-Land's End Fulton Captoe in Black.
-Sperry Topsider in Sahara.
-Sperry Topsider in Ice.

3rd row:
-Clarks Weaver Boot in Oakwood.
-Red Wings 1907 Boot in Copper.
-Clarks Wallabee's in Beeswax.
-Clarks Desert Boots in Beeswax.
-JCrew Macalister Boot in Dark Brown.
:D

Last edited:
Happy New Year to all! Hope everyone had a good holiday.

been looking at this thread for quite a while now and been liking most of the stuff posted

minus the justin timberlake imposter fiasco, although that was funny as hell when dude got exposed

2013 is looking good so far

You're in college right?

yes, finishing my undergrad this may. i started buying Allen Edmonds last winter during nordstrom's half-yearly sale. i picked up my walnut player's for $220 with some xmas/birthday money, the black player's were copped for $160 worn 2x about a month ago, and the brown clifton's were purchased last week with xmas/birthday money for $200 during this year's half-yearly sale. ballin' on a budget :pimp:

edit: I don't mind telling Jason :lol: i'd rather not you guys think the things i post in this thread were given to me by mommy and daddy. i do my best to save with the meager job i have at school haha (in case you don't remember, i'm the school's mascot) and shop around the deals. completely understandable why someone would ask

You can also find AEs on eBay for cheap if you don't mind a bit worn. A friend of mine got a pair of MacNeils for $80 shipped and it was like worn once. Sole barely had any dirt and no creases or stress marks at all. Seller even included shoe trees :lol:

How do the Allen Edmonds run? Thinking about copping the black Player's.
Shoes are hard. I think it all depends on your foot. I would suggest going to Nordstrom and trying a few on. Don't go during a busy time because they work on commission I believe. Don't hog or waist their time.

Each last fits differently.  But typically size down from your sneaker size .5 or 1 size.  But like Grizzly said, try them on first.  Most major department stores should carry some

Haven't been keeping up with the thread, so excuse me if I'm late
But that Neiman Marcus rag n bone cardigan is down to 20 dollerzzzz. Had to cop.
They have some left in Large :smile:

Haven't been keeping up with the thread, so excuse me if I'm late
But that Neiman Marcus rag n bone cardigan is down to 20 dollerzzzz. Had to cop.
They have some left in Large :smile:

Yeah, someone posted it last night I believe. My lady friend copped for me last night, so I can finally see what all the hype is about :lol:

Hey guys, I need a slim fit black oxford shirt. I have been looking for a Naked and famous joint but its impossible to find in a large.

Each last fits differently.  But typically size down from your sneaker size .5 or 1 size.  But like Grizzly said, try them on first.  Most major department stores should carry some
I bought a pair of players and went down 1/2 a size. There's still some room, I'm pretty sure going down a full size would have been perfect

Back
Top Bottom