Dressing Better Vol 2.0

On the subject of GQ,I don't know how many of you are soda drinkers,but you can get free subscriptions to GQ and Esquire using Coke points...

Nordstrom's sales are really nice, the big sales only happen 2 times a year or so....great way to stock up on dope pieces.
This... Two days ago I was able to cop some Lanvin's (brown patent leather/suede) for $290 at Nordstrom's on Michigan Ave in Chicago... And then I was able to cop a Burberry Wool Pea Coat at Nordstrom's Woodfield Mall that I had been eyeing for 33%... Love theses anniversary sales...

Or if you have a tablet I can give you access to the ipad version?
Thanks for the offer, G. However, I have no tablet or iPad :lol: I still enjoy the traditional prints.

This... Two days ago I was able to cop some Lanvin's (brown patent leather/suede) for $290 at Nordstrom's on Michigan Ave in Chicago... And then I was able to cop a Burberry Wool Pea Coat at Nordstrom's Woodfield Mall that I had been eyeing for 33%... Love theses anniversary sales...
Your Nordstrom has Lanvins? Wow! I picked up an APC jacket at 40% off and a chalk stripe Gant Rugger at 33% off myself.

Thanks for the offer, G. However, I have no tablet or iPad
laugh.gif
I still enjoy the traditional prints.
Your Nordstrom has Lanvins? Wow! I picked up an APC jacket at 40% off and a chalk stripe Gant Rugger at 33% off myself.
Yeah I noticed they had Lanvins a couple months ago... They have about 4 different colors, with only the brown version being on sale... 

thanks Wis i really do appreciate the love. i definitely owe a lot to this thread and to its many frequent posters. you guys have definitely steered me in the right path, style-wise, and can't wait to see what happens next :pimp:

also JordanScrub, yea the back row, 2nd on the right is a pair of beeswax DBs. got em back in high school from the girlfriend at the time. this past xmas marks 4 yrs that i have had them. thank god for mink oil :lol:

I just ordered my first pair of beeswax db's and the consensus on SF seems to be to treat them before wear....i was just curious what you guys were thinking. sorry, im fairly new to the whole concept of "dressing better"

Can someone point me to some decent “dress” shirts to wear with ties, for less than $25?

For years, ive bought “sport” shirts, so I could wear both with ties, and without, but I am constantly dealing with an uncrisp collar and im tired of it lol

I think I need to go ahead and get some actual dress shirts to keep in the rotation

I just ordered my first pair of beeswax db's and the consensus on SF seems to be to treat them before wear....i was just curious what you guys were thinking. sorry, im fairly new to the whole concept of "dressing better"
got my first pair for Xmas, after only being a wallabee owner.

I did nothing to them, they get scuffs when you hit stuff by accident, but if you take your fingers and rub over it, it goes away. I dont think its necessary to spray them with anything

Can someone point me to some decent “dress” shirts to wear with ties, for less than $25?

For years, ive bought “sport” shirts, so I could wear both with ties, and without, but I am constantly dealing with an uncrisp collar and im tired of it lol

I think I need to go ahead and get some actual dress shirts to keep in the rotation

I've never tried them myself but look into uniqlo

This little write up really hit home. I'm sure others in here can relate to it as well

Source

The Problem With “Quality Over Quantity” and “Buy Better, Buy Less” From a Young Man’s Perspective:

]If you’ve been reading any menswear blog for any amount of time, you’ve probably heard or been told that buying something that is of higher quality is worth the price tag. Someone has said that bespoke GJ Cleverly’s are worth the couple grand because they last a long time with the right care. Someone has said that the Cucinelli cashmere blazer is worth the couple grand because the fabric is soft, and the construction is unparalleled, and the lapel stitching is ******g gnarly, and Cucinelli is a generally great guy, and ********, and no one really knows. After reading the musings of menswear bloggers and magazines for a few years, I subscribed to this belief. I used it to justify some expensive purchases and spread “wisdom” to anonymous question askers. I’m just going to get right to it and say that I was, for the most part, wrong.

This belief system might not be wrong for everyone, but it sure as hell is wrong for me. In fact, I’d be willing to say that this belief system is wrong for about 93% of the people that read this blog. Most of my audience is comprised of undergrads and recently graduated young professionals. There are also those younger and older, but the majority are people +/- five years from twenty-one. As a college student, the “Buy better, buy less” and “Quality over quantity” methods of purchase just aren’t practical. They don’t make sense for someone who has to pay for school, or books, or rent, or at least a twelve of Yuengling once or twice a week.

I’ve been looking at my wardrobe lately, at the things that I have bought, and tried to find the best purchases that I’ve ever made. I contemplated every variable, and I came up with five non-thrifted items. They are not the goodyear welted or the fully canvassed. They are not the single-needle constructed or the hand-rolled. They are the things that made sense for a college student to buy. The list includes a Timex Classic ($25 plus $10 NATO strap), a black watch L.L. Bean Lambswool Scarf ($35), a light brown pair of J.Crew Slim-Fit Chinos ($69), Clarks Suede Desert Boots ($90), and a Lands’ End Canvas Navy Chino Blazer ($35). I wear my Timex almost every single day; with a navy strap, it matches everything. I wore those chinos for two years, before the crotch blew out. They’re retired on the top shelf of my closet right now (I’ll have them repaired when I get the cash). That scarf has been worn on almost every cold night for the past two and a half years, and the Clarks have probably been worm more than any item in my entire wardrobe (two years later, they look like ****, so I just wear them to parties and when I’m late to class).

The greatest purchase I have ever made is that navy chino blazer from Lands’ End Canvas. It was on sale for $35 dollars at the beginning of last school year, before LEC prices went up, and I snagged one of the last ones. The style is perfect, compliments on the patch pockets included. The fit is slim and youthful, and it was 35 dollars. It was 35 ******g dollars. Are there nicer blazers? Hell yes there are. There are way nicer blazers. However, in the history of my wardrobe has there ever been a more appropriate blazer for me? Never. I can wear that with literally every pair of pants I own, and I’ve worn it at least a hundred times. It’s not the greatest blazer, but it’s the right blazer.

These are the purchases that college students should be making. These are the purchases that make sense. If you’re a successful businessman or you own your own menswear outfitter, go ahead and wear the bespoke. Wear the Rolex or the Omega. I’ll be admiring them from afar while I realize I should have been in class ten minutes ago courtesy of my Timex. You know what the difference is between my Tie Bar pocket square and a Drake’s tiger print pocket square? Two handles of Gordon’s, two thirties of Keystone, a six pack of Victory Golden Monkey, two cheeseburgers from Five Guys, and a bunch of extremely solid nights. You know what the difference in construction is? There isn’t one. It’s a ******g pocket square. Save that stuff for when you’re making six figures.

It’s about your position in life, and it’s about your budget. There are times when I’m broke as ****, and I literally cannot “buy better”. I don’t. There are also times when I can. Neither cheap nor expensive is the answer. Now, regardless of the situation, I buy what I can afford. Don’t think that “Quality over quantity” and “Buy better, buy less” are always the ways to go; they aren’t. The saying and the advice should not be “Buy better, buy less”, it should be “Buy appropriately”.

In the market for a light Fall jacket that can provide decent warmth, I was originally going to purchase a TOJ Varsity, but I'm hesitant due to the MTM debacle, even though I might still take this route.. Any other good varsity companies?

I already have a Down Jacket that provides warmth for the coldness, a Pea Coat that does the same for mainly worn when I dress up.. I need a Jacket for those "not-so-cold-nights" but cold enough to have a jacket on. Budget is around $250-$300

In the market for a light Fall jacket that can provide decent warmth, I was originally going to purchase a TOJ Varsity, but I'm hesitant due to the MTM debacle, even though I might still take this route.. Any other good varsity companies?

I already have a Down Jacket that provides warmth for the coldness, a Pea Coat that does the same for mainly worn when I dress up.. I need a Jacket for those "not-so-cold-nights" but cold enough to have a jacket on. Budget is around $250-$300
You can find some great things from J Crew, Gap, and even H&M that are well below your budget and look great

This little write up really hit home. I'm sure others in here can relate to it as well

Source

The Problem With “Quality Over Quantity” and “Buy Better, Buy Less” From a Young Man’s Perspective:

]If you’ve been reading any menswear blog for any amount of time, you’ve probably heard or been told that buying something that is of higher quality is worth the price tag. Someone has said that bespoke GJ Cleverly’s are worth the couple grand because they last a long time with the right care. Someone has said that the Cucinelli cashmere blazer is worth the couple grand because the fabric is soft, and the construction is unparalleled, and the lapel stitching is ******g gnarly, and Cucinelli is a generally great guy, and ********, and no one really knows. After reading the musings of menswear bloggers and magazines for a few years, I subscribed to this belief. I used it to justify some expensive purchases and spread “wisdom” to anonymous question askers. I’m just going to get right to it and say that I was, for the most part, wrong.

This belief system might not be wrong for everyone, but it sure as hell is wrong for me. In fact, I’d be willing to say that this belief system is wrong for about 93% of the people that read this blog. Most of my audience is comprised of undergrads and recently graduated young professionals. There are also those younger and older, but the majority are people +/- five years from twenty-one. As a college student, the “Buy better, buy less” and “Quality over quantity” methods of purchase just aren’t practical. They don’t make sense for someone who has to pay for school, or books, or rent, or at least a twelve of Yuengling once or twice a week.

I’ve been looking at my wardrobe lately, at the things that I have bought, and tried to find the best purchases that I’ve ever made. I contemplated every variable, and I came up with five non-thrifted items. They are not the goodyear welted or the fully canvassed. They are not the single-needle constructed or the hand-rolled. They are the things that made sense for a college student to buy. The list includes a Timex Classic ($25 plus $10 NATO strap), a black watch L.L. Bean Lambswool Scarf ($35), a light brown pair of J.Crew Slim-Fit Chinos ($69), Clarks Suede Desert Boots ($90), and a Lands’ End Canvas Navy Chino Blazer ($35). I wear my Timex almost every single day; with a navy strap, it matches everything. I wore those chinos for two years, before the crotch blew out. They’re retired on the top shelf of my closet right now (I’ll have them repaired when I get the cash). That scarf has been worn on almost every cold night for the past two and a half years, and the Clarks have probably been worm more than any item in my entire wardrobe (two years later, they look like ****, so I just wear them to parties and when I’m late to class).

The greatest purchase I have ever made is that navy chino blazer from Lands’ End Canvas. It was on sale for $35 dollars at the beginning of last school year, before LEC prices went up, and I snagged one of the last ones. The style is perfect, compliments on the patch pockets included. The fit is slim and youthful, and it was 35 dollars. It was 35 ******g dollars. Are there nicer blazers? Hell yes there are. There are way nicer blazers. However, in the history of my wardrobe has there ever been a more appropriate blazer for me? Never. I can wear that with literally every pair of pants I own, and I’ve worn it at least a hundred times. It’s not the greatest blazer, but it’s the right blazer.

These are the purchases that college students should be making. These are the purchases that make sense. If you’re a successful businessman or you own your own menswear outfitter, go ahead and wear the bespoke. Wear the Rolex or the Omega. I’ll be admiring them from afar while I realize I should have been in class ten minutes ago courtesy of my Timex. You know what the difference is between my Tie Bar pocket square and a Drake’s tiger print pocket square? Two handles of Gordon’s, two thirties of Keystone, a six pack of Victory Golden Monkey, two cheeseburgers from Five Guys, and a bunch of extremely solid nights. You know what the difference in construction is? There isn’t one. It’s a ******g pocket square. Save that stuff for when you’re making six figures.

It’s about your position in life, and it’s about your budget. There are times when I’m broke as ****, and I literally cannot “buy better”. I don’t. There are also times when I can. Neither cheap nor expensive is the answer. Now, regardless of the situation, I buy what I can afford. Don’t think that “Quality over quantity” and “Buy better, buy less” are always the ways to go; they aren’t. The saying and the advice should not be “Buy better, buy less”, it should be “Buy appropriately”.

That was really good. It's true. Just because you can't put $1,000+ on bespoke suit or a nice watch doesn't mean that you can't still dress nicely. It's all about where you are in life. Even with the fits posted here, a lot of us aren't spending too much to look and feel great.

^ ^ ^
While I agree with most of what he wrote, he did sound mad and angry about the whole thing.

If on a budget, I always suggest asking yourself before purchasing: "is this a need or a want?" If it is a need (need a blazer for a job interview) then buy. If it is a want (I want the blazer to look fly in my date) then you can probably skip that purchase.

It's not perfect but it's a good motto to start with.

thanks Wis i really do appreciate the love. i definitely owe a lot to this thread and to its many frequent posters. you guys have definitely steered me in the right path, style-wise, and can't wait to see what happens next :pimp:

also JordanScrub, yea the back row, 2nd on the right is a pair of beeswax DBs. got em back in high school from the girlfriend at the time. this past xmas marks 4 yrs that i have had them. thank god for mink oil :lol:

Very nice man, they look great. 4 years is awesome for a par of beeswax DBs, you can definitely tell that they have worn in nicely and have been taken care of

Source
I guess this applies to some but me being in my early 30's.  I don't have to worry about renting and buying school books with a very small budget.  Yes the wife and I have a mortgage but the salary is now at a point where we aren't scrapping by to pay for stuff.  Personally if I can't pay more for quality I will wait to buy when I can, I will not buy lesser quality items just because I want something now.

Back
Top Bottom