Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Copped this from Banana Republic today. It was 50 percent off and came out to be $178.80.

Just threw on a dress shirt and the first tie I saw in my closet to take a picture. I like the way the pants fit, but I'm not so sure about the jacket. Wish it was tighter through the back. If I decide the keep it, I will get it tailored.

My question is: how do y'all think the jacket will come out once tailored?

Copped this from Banana Republic today. It was 50 percent off and came out to be $178.80.

Just threw on a dress shirt and the first tie I saw in my closet to take a picture. I like the way the pants fit, but I'm not so sure about the jacket. Wish it was tighter through the back. If I decide the keep it, I will get it tailored.

What size is that?

What size is that?
its a 38s. They didn't have a single 36 in the store in anything.

36s is what i usually wear, but couldn't pass the deal up. Just wanted to hear opinions on the how yall thought it would look once tailored. 

Anyone know a brand that sell brown skinny chino pants? Like that real brown color not that light looking ones.

For reference, this is the one tailored suit I have. Love the fit.

The body and sleeves don't match to me. The body is close and the sleeves are loose. I would slim the sleeves but thats me. Do you, just watch my shoes.

Last edited:
^ agreed on tapering the sleeves as well.

On the other suit, you definitely need to taper the sleeves, take in the midsection for starters but to be perfectly honest the jacket just looks too big on you, especially in the shoulders. Fixing the shoulders is almost always an alteration that isn't worth the cost.

^ agreed on tapering the sleeves as well.

On the other suit, you definitely need to taper the sleeves, take in the midsection for starters but to be perfectly honest the jacket just looks too big on you, especially in the shoulders. Fixing the shoulders is almost always an alteration that isn't worth the cost.
right. thanks, the input i was looking for. 

Anyone know where to get some decent looking camo tops/button ups? Been looking  at some army surplus stores and everything they got just isn't for me.

Looking for something pretty basic like this...

Appreciate it.

I think where a lot of people fail when they try to "dress better" is that they go shopping for "fits" and matching items for one occasion instead of buying a set of useful garments that look good and can be thrown on at any time and on most occasions.

My suggestion is not to go shopping for an outfit; pick up the things that you think look good, and offer yourself a bit of practicality or utilitarianism in your thinking. Consider ALL forseeable outfits, combinations, styles, and occasions. Shop like this and eventually you'll just automatically become "well-dressed".

too big

too big
Yup, too big everywhere.  If that's a 38S, you need at most a 36S and even still, how tall are you or do you just have short arms?  It looks like a good 2" need to be taken off the sleeves and that won't work because of the buttons.  Even if it only cost $178, you'll have to spend way too much to have it properly tailored...and not like that other jacket you posted which looks disproportionate.

Start over, you'll get it right eventually but don't settle.  Call BR customer service to see if they can locate a 36S and go from there.

Also, more importantly, what type of fit is that?  Classic or slim/tailored?

too big

Yup, too big everywhere.  If that's a 38S, you need at most a 36S and even still, how tall are you or do you just have short arms?  It looks like a good 2" need to be taken off the sleeves and that won't work because of the buttons.  Even if it only cost $178, you'll have to spend way too much to have it properly tailored...and not like that other jacket you posted which looks disproportionate.

Start over, you'll get it right eventually but don't settle.  Call BR customer service to see if they can locate a 36S and go from there.

Also, more importantly, what type of fit is that?  Classic or slim/tailored?
Sometimes it's ok to leave a good deal behind. The shoulders are just too big. The cost to rework the suit would put you at or above regular price.

"If the shoulders don't fit, you must resist"

For reference, this is the one tailored suit I have. Love the fit.
The body and sleeves don't match to me. The body is close and the sleeves are loose. I would slim the sleeves but thats me. Do you, just watch my shoes.
Oh man, just looked at this again too.  Not trying to pick on you but help out... The body was tailored pretty well however the shoulders are way too huge and he sleeve length looks uneven, way too long on the right and okay-a little long, part of the problem is your shirts sleeves are way too long too, they cover the majority of your hands.  You need an inch shorter from what I can tell, maybe even a little more.  Hopefully you're buying based on neck size/sleeve length and not XS, S, M.  Wait, ****...the neck also looks huge.  And I didn't even mention that the length of the jacket is way too long, about 2".

You could probably still do okay with getting that 36S and having it tailored still but I don't know man, I think you need something way smaller than what you've shown in those 2 pictures and that's not even for a GQ-esque extra slim fit.

Went to Suit Supply in Philly today for my buddy and ran into Wale from Ikire Jones. May not be everyone's cup of tea but his take on menswear rooted from African aesthetics is definitely something else man. Also, really cool, humble dude. Feel free to check out their line:

www.ikirejones.com

I have a more storage question then DB question.

How do you guys, who have a lot of them, for work or whatever, store your ties at home?

I currently have a tie hanger thing inside my closet but I'm moving soon and want something neater. Suggestions?

How do you guys, who have a lot of them, for work or whatever, store your ties at home?

I currently have a tie hanger thing inside my closet but I'm moving soon and want something neater. Suggestions?
Roll em. Put em in a drawer.

I can take a pic if you'd like.

Roll em. Put em in a drawer.

I can take a pic if you'd like.
Please do. I keep all my ties in a bag
mean.gif

Back
Top Bottom