Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I'll check out the stafford shoes, thanks for the tip.

And I'm open to any suggestions. I've spent thousands on sneakers lol I'm willing to spend a decent amount on dress shoes. I plan on buying multiple pairs as time passes. Can't wear the same shoe every day

Btw my final interview with Sirius is today, wish me luck! :x
Good luck, man. Where is the job based in? Just curious since I have Sirius.

Being yolked isn't all that it is cracked up to be. I was bulking up for the past few months and it was horrible trying to find cloths. Im 5"9" and was 225lbs and I would have to get everything tailored. A $35 dollar tee shirt ended costing $50 or $60 after getting it tailored. I have sinced slimmed down for summer. Now I am 180lbs and cloths fit and look a lot better.

How the Hell did you lose all that weight? Congrats, man!

BTW, I kind of know how you feel. I have very broad shoulders and a slim waist line. It's almost impossible for me to find suits and clothes OTR. I end up having to get all my suits MTM or custom made.

Bally loafers

Bally's are real nice. I'm digging the socks a little more though :lol:

I'll check out the stafford shoes, thanks for the tip.

And I'm open to any suggestions. I've spent thousands on sneakers lol I'm willing to spend a decent amount on dress shoes. I plan on buying multiple pairs as time passes. Can't wear the same shoe every day

Btw my final interview with Sirius is today, wish me luck! :x

You missed out on the Allen Edmond's sale in Nordstrom last week. I've never seen those shoes go for less than $250 like they were last week. I recommend you go the outlets or something and get them there. I believe they go for $269. You just get 3 pairs of shoes. Get black shoes, brown shoes and walnut. That's really all you need. Also, get a couple of pairs of loafers and maybe a Monk Strap. You'd be pretty set with shoes after that.

Just booked my trip to NYC. I usually just cruise around Soho, but this year I'm dedicating a day to Brooklyn and maybe Queens (I've spent some time in Astoria in the past). Any good shopping spots in Brooklyn? Or any cool spots in Manhattan? Thx!

Bally's are real nice. I'm digging the socks a little more though :lol:

Lol, Target bro! I ended up throwing a couple out due to really bad fraying and holes, but the two navy pairs I bought are still in good shape.

Speaking of socks I ended placing an order through Viccel. A bunch of people on SF rave about them and the price is decent (especially with the SF discount) I ended up getting 10 pairs and the highest priced one is free. Will see what the hype is about once they get here. I got the mid calf because I hate how over the calf socks feel

How much would you want to spent on dress shoes though? I ask because that's a big range.

Joseph, if you need shoes quickly or want to wait and order some better quality ones, head to JC Penney and pick up some of those stafford wingtips, they have a great silhouette and cost like 50$ which is cheaper than some bulky Stacey Adams shoes...I've had the boot version of them (my ballin on a budget AE dalton shoe from college :lol:) but they really are great value for the price...won't last super long if you wear em every day but they definitely will hold you over for a few months if you need to but if you can, get some AE seconds for a real nice step up for something that'll last you several years

Question for everyone: do you guys use or have you ever used that Topy stuff for dress shoes? I'm thinking of getting it put on my shoes to help preserve the soles and I think it's just a thin layer. I read about it on SF but those guys seemed to have mixed reviews, seems like a good idea to me though

I have the topy on one of my chukka boots, just on the front and back of shoes heels. I don't wear them enough to say they make a difference. I think if you could get a topy put on that's flush with the rest of the sole that you may be better off.

I wear my shoes and boots as is. No topy. At my rate it'll take years before a resoling is even needed and is probably the case with most too unless you do a lot of walking on the streets.

This here. Too many in the rotation to even warrant trying to slow down the teardown of my shoes.

Question for everyone: do you guys use or have you ever used that Topy stuff for dress shoes? I'm thinking of getting it put on my shoes to help preserve the soles and I think it's just a thin layer. I read about it on SF but those guys seemed to have mixed reviews, seems like a good idea to me though

There is really no need for a topy unless you live in Seattle or any place where there is much rainfall. Leather soles are generally hard wearing and depending on your gait, toe taps might be something you want to look into.

What you're wearing and/or how you're wearing it isn't really doing you any favors. I'll take shots at people's horrible style (not saying that about you either) but not about their looks, that's not necessary...so don't take this the wrong way but it at least looks like you've got a little bit of a belly, so it's hard to tell if you're carrying weight all around your midsection (sides/love handles) or it's the fit of the shirt just making it worse. That plus where you're wearing your pants below your waist makes you look completely disproportionate. Your pants look kinda baggy on top of it. I'd get some slimmer pants that fit around your waistline and they might not need to be hemmed if they have that same inseam/length.

The only thing that I think is really bad? Those shoes. I guess if you're on here you are or were into sneakers. Transition that into dress shoes and have some pride in them. I don't know if budget is an issue but if you say it is yet you're cool with dropping $200+ on some Foamposite or crap quality Jordans and not "dress" shoes, I'll smack you. If you're interested in improving that type of look, I think 99% of the posters in here and people whose style you might want to emulate would tell you the shoe game needs work, so let us know what's a reasonable price range for you for some new footwear.

I'm working on putting on weight so I'm not as versed on the rules for certain body types but I'd definitely get that shirt taken in at the sides to be more flattering, I know they say vertical stripes are good though. I''ll make fun of the fact that you used a big *** iPad to take a selfie because that always looks ridiculous but it's also kinda obstructing how the shirt fully fits, your collar style, etc. Oh yeah...is that a black belt and brown shoes? :x

I basically could've and should've just said slim up your shirt & pants plus pull them up, then get some new shoes but whatever. :lol:

I appreciate all the replies but ill touch on this one as its the longest. Like I said this was my first attempt at business casual so I suppose I didn't do that bad. The belt is reversible, I take it I should use the brown side rather than the black? As for the shirt I should probably get it fitted a little better. And the weight definitely isn't all over, I've been eating out a lot more than lately so it's all belly weight. I need to start running again. As for the shoes, to be quite honest I got those really rushed at Walmart and only plan to use them temporarily til I can get some polo or
Stacy Adams
dress shoes. I knew I'd hear something about the iPad haha but my phone was dead when I got home so I just snapped it with the iPad. And lastly, my girl says I have no *** so it doesn't mix well with slacks. I somewhat see what she's saying but idk if I like the idea of having an ***.. Lol. I really appreciate all your help. Next trip ill take some time and probably have to consult this thread on a few purchases before I pull the trigger

I guess I should've mentioned that I'm 6'9" so finding well fit pants is a challenge. If I get a x34 I feel like they're too baggy but the pants in my pic are a x32. Next time I shop I'm gonna have to get a couple x34s tailored. I probably won't but how does cuffing pants sit with business casual? Something's telling me it's a no-no

My order from uniqlo should be here today....really hoping everything fits well.

I hate my sizing i am forever between a M and a Large. I am 6 foot about 185lbs...I am a 33 waist...the shorts i ordered from uniqlo are Mediums...sizing chart says fits 30-33....have a feeling i will have to send them back

Did you just order shorts in a Medium? If there were any shirts, I'm curious whether/how well a Medium fits you.

Also, if anyone's interested in this Uniqlo x Michael Bastian in a Small...

JKing can you post some fit pics of the uniqlo stuff? I'm roughly similar measurements as you and I'm not in NYC so ill have to order stuff from there too...curious how it fits w/ large vs medium

Are there any made to measure shoe sites? I know there are bespoke shoe makers but that's some serious cash, what about made to measure? Just asking for future reference

Are there any made to measure shoe sites? I know there are bespoke shoe makers but that's some serious cash, what about made to measure? Just asking for future reference

Others can correct me but I think the closest to this is MTO (Made-to-Order) shoes. In an MTO you are able to choose the leather you want used, the type of shoe, sole but most important the last. If you have an idea of what last is best for your foot from a certain brand you can have it made to that last. Example is Meermin, I'll use my possible MTO. I'll be choosing the leather and the type of sole (leather, dainitie, double sole etc), shape of shoe but what I'm waiting on is the last shape. I have their Hiro last but I have 2 pairs coming, one in the Hiro and Olfe last depending on which last fits me better I'll get to choose that last on one of their already existing models.

Brands like Johnston & Murphy, Tods, Bally, Church, etc... all have Made to Order service iirc.

Yeah that's what I meant, something I'm going to look into more when I start working full time after graduation. Thanks guys

Just booked my trip to NYC. I usually just cruise around Soho, but this year I'm dedicating a day to Brooklyn and maybe Queens (I've spent some time in Astoria in the past). Any good shopping spots in Brooklyn? Or any cool spots in Manhattan? Thx!

Leffot in the West Village if you want to check out some of the nicest shoes being made these days.

Ben Sherman used to be my go to slim clothes a year or so back, their FW13 lookbook isn't bad at all.

Last edited:
Got the coupon from SF. Supposed to work on Fly knits too. In store only.

Supposedly you can still use the coupon on everything despite the exclusions at the bottom of the coupon depending on the cashier/manager in store. YMMV. Check slickdeals for the stores that have rejected the exclusions in the past.

Back
Top Bottom