Dressing Better Vol 2.0

I don't know if budget is an issue but if you say it is yet you're cool with dropping $200+ on some Foamposite or crap quality Jordans and not "dress" shoes, I'll smack you.
:wow: :rofl:

Man, I have Foams too :frown:

Too much for tonight. I'm going to bed.

Being yolked isn't all that it is cracked up to be. I was bulking up for the past few months and it was horrible trying to find cloths. Im 5"9" and was 225lbs and I would have to get everything tailored. A $35 dollar tee shirt ended costing $50 or $60 after getting it tailored. I have sinced slimmed down for summer. Now I am 180lbs and cloths fit and look a lot better.

Nobody's saying that you have to be the hulk to look good in clothes, just get in shape.

anyone have experience with Lands End "tailored fit" dress shirts? Any comments on fit & quality??

I prefer a fairly slim fit (like BB ESL), higher arm holes, narrow sleeve and waist, chest/back/shoulders can be a little looser for my frame. Any help much appreicated

http://www.landsend.com/shop/sale/mens-dress-shirts/-/N-fzlZflz

Not nearly the same fit as BB Extra Slim, I tried once. Lands End's Canvas line generally is a little slimmer but I can't speak on their dress shirts.
I don't know if budget is an issue but if you say it is yet you're cool with dropping $200+ on some Foamposite or crap quality Jordans and not "dress" shoes, I'll smack you.
:wow: :rofl:

Man, I have Foams too :frown:

Too much for tonight. I'm going to bed.

You know what I mean though...those cats that come in here like, "I need a good pair of dress shoes for interviews/my new job/a wedding/trying to actually impress a female with good taste, up to $100." Then they've got "WTB: DS 2011 White/Cement Jordan IV $400 or less!" in their sig :smh:

Last edited:
Being yolked isn't all that it is cracked up to be. I was bulking up for the past few months and it was horrible trying to find cloths. Im 5"9" and was 225lbs and I would have to get everything tailored. A $35 dollar tee shirt ended costing $50 or $60 after getting it tailored. I have sinced slimmed down for summer. Now I am 180lbs and cloths fit and look a lot better.
Nobody's saying that you have to be the hulk to look good in clothes, just get in shape.
IM THAT HEIGHT 210 BUT MY BF IS ABOUT 20-25. I'M TRYING TO GET TO 225 W A BF IN DA LOW TEENS.

HOLY CRAP I FORGOT TO TELL U I GOT DA PACKAGEZ!

SHOES ARE SOOOOOO PRISTINE CANT WAIT TO ROCK.

ALSO DA BAG IS PERFECT.

SHIRT IS AWESOME TOO!

YOOOO DBNT THRIFTERS.

CAN U GUYS FIND ME A NAUTICA J-CLASS CHALLENGE JACKET. U KNOW THEM SAILING JACKETS IN A LARGE.

CANT FIND ANY ON EBAY IN MY SIZE

Today was a good day! My wife and I celebrated our 3rd year Anniversary and she informed me that she has began the order for a MTO pair of black plain toes from Meermin in Stingray...can't wait!

In addition she got me this awesome briefcase from Frank Clegg Leatherworks, Made in the USA, all handmade:
http://dressingbetterforless.blogspot.com/2013/08/new-briefcase.html

You don't have to be in tip top shape to dress better though

Thank you! I'm not trying to come off as a jerk or defensive but dressing better can be done regardless of your size.

I'm definitely not in what anyone would call tip top shape but I know I'm putting in an effort. It's also about dressing to your body shape. Even if you are "bigger" you need to wear clothing that is properly fitted. Going for that loose fitting stuff only makes people look bigger; been there done that. Am I where I want to be? No. I've dropped inches on the waist and stomach but can't drop it in the chest, instead I have ended up putting muscle in my arms...which honestly just sucks but working out makes me feel better. I recognize though that their are certain things though that I would not try to pull off because I don't have the aesthetic for it.

Congrats Serg!!!

Can't wait to see the shoes :pimp:

Thanks man same here! My wife isn't super knowledgeable in regards to men's shoes so I'll really be taking it on from design on. She recognized that thankfully as she almost went with a double monk which I don't know how that would have turned out.

I'm going with this though and hopefully they can make it into a 5 eyelets instead of 3.
http://www.meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=1982

Serg, couldn't see the briefcase pics. Maybe because I'm on mobile. If anything, text me over bro.
Congrats to you and your wife as well! Hope she loved that purse.

And John, :pimp: glad you liked em bro. I'll keep an eye out for that jacket.

Serg, couldn't see the briefcase pics. Maybe because I'm on mobile. If anything, text me over bro.
Congrats to you and your wife as well! Hope she loved that purse.

And John, :pimp: glad you liked em bro. I'll keep an eye out for that jacket.

Thanks Adrian! She hasn't opened that yet. We actually have 2 anniversaries, 6th and 7th of August. 6th of August was our Hindu wedding date and the 7th was our traditional Civil Ceremony although our marriage license was signed the 6th. So she opened 3 of her gifts today (J. Crew dress and top, personalized business card holder from etsy and for a great price, and some black suede Jimmy Choo pumps).

Terrence J

nice.:smokin

What you're wearing and/or how you're wearing it isn't really doing you any favors. I'll take shots at people's horrible style (not saying that about you either) but not about their looks, that's not necessary...so don't take this the wrong way but it at least looks like you've got a little bit of a belly, so it's hard to tell if you're carrying weight all around your midsection (sides/love handles) or it's the fit of the shirt just making it worse. That plus where you're wearing your pants below your waist makes you look completely disproportionate. Your pants look kinda baggy on top of it. I'd get some slimmer pants that fit around your waistline and they might not need to be hemmed if they have that same inseam/length.

The only thing that I think is really bad? Those shoes. I guess if you're on here you are or were into sneakers. Transition that into dress shoes and have some pride in them. I don't know if budget is an issue but if you say it is yet you're cool with dropping $200+ on some Foamposite or crap quality Jordans and not "dress" shoes, I'll smack you. If you're interested in improving that type of look, I think 99% of the posters in here and people whose style you might want to emulate would tell you the shoe game needs work, so let us know what's a reasonable price range for you for some new footwear.

I'm working on putting on weight so I'm not as versed on the rules for certain body types but I'd definitely get that shirt taken in at the sides to be more flattering, I know they say vertical stripes are good though. I''ll make fun of the fact that you used a big *** iPad to take a selfie because that always looks ridiculous but it's also kinda obstructing how the shirt fully fits, your collar style, etc. Oh yeah...is that a black belt and brown shoes? :x

I basically could've and should've just said slim up your shirt & pants plus pull them up, then get some new shoes but whatever. :lol:

I appreciate all the replies but ill touch on this one as its the longest. Like I said this was my first attempt at business casual so I suppose I didn't do that bad. The belt is reversible, I take it I should use the brown side rather than the black? As for the shirt I should probably get it fitted a little better. And the weight definitely isn't all over, I've been eating out a lot more than lately so it's all belly weight. I need to start running again. As for the shoes, to be quite honest I got those really rushed at Walmart and only plan to use them temporarily til I can get some polo or Stacy Adams dress shoes. I knew I'd hear something about the iPad haha but my phone was dead when I got home so I just snapped it with the iPad. And lastly, my girl says I have no *** so it doesn't mix well with slacks. I somewhat see what she's saying but idk if I like the idea of having an ***.. Lol. I really appreciate all your help. Next trip ill take some time and probably have to consult this thread on a few purchases before I pull the trigger

I guess I should've mentioned that I'm 6'9" so finding well fit pants is a challenge. If I get a x34 I feel like they're too baggy but the pants in my pic are a x32. Next time I shop I'm gonna have to get a couple x34s tailored. I probably won't but how does cuffing pants sit with business casual? Something's telling me it's a no-no

Last edited:
My order from uniqlo should be here today....really hoping everything fits well.

I hate my sizing i am forever between a M and a Large. I am 6 foot about 185lbs...I am a 33 waist...the shorts i ordered from uniqlo are Mediums...sizing chart says fits 30-33....have a feeling i will have to send them back

Please god stay away from Stacy Adams. If you want a suggestion, give us a reasonable price range.

Joseph, if you need shoes quickly or want to wait and order some better quality ones, head to JC Penney and pick up some of those stafford wingtips, they have a great silhouette and cost like 50$ which is cheaper than some bulky Stacey Adams shoes...I've had the boot version of them (my ballin on a budget AE dalton shoe from college :lol:) but they really are great value for the price...won't last super long if you wear em every day but they definitely will hold you over for a few months if you need to but if you can, get some AE seconds for a real nice step up for something that'll last you several years

Question for everyone: do you guys use or have you ever used that Topy stuff for dress shoes? I'm thinking of getting it put on my shoes to help preserve the soles and I think it's just a thin layer. I read about it on SF but those guys seemed to have mixed reviews, seems like a good idea to me though

Last edited:
Thought about it but I hear the soles can't breathe when they are put on. Honestly will just roll with it normal and buy a few rubber soled joints as my collection grows.

I wear my shoes and boots as is. No topy. At my rate it'll take years before a resoling is even needed and is probably the case with most too unless you do a lot of walking on the streets.

Word Adrian and Wis, I'm still building my collection up and I'm only rotating through 3 pairs right now so I may try it on my one pair that's older and can't even be resoled just to see but ill hold off on the AEs

I'll check out the stafford shoes, thanks for the tip.

And I'm open to any suggestions. I've spent thousands on sneakers lol I'm willing to spend a decent amount on dress shoes. I plan on buying multiple pairs as time passes. Can't wear the same shoe every day

Btw my final interview with Sirius is today, wish me luck! :x

Last edited:
Macys is having a sale. How do y'all feel about suits specifically from Ralph Lauren / Calvin Klein. They look nice on screen, and I'm assuming I would probably still have to get them tailored. Anybody have any experience with any of these? Cons or pros... Thanks!

Macys is having a sale. How do y'all feel about suits specifically from Ralph Lauren / Calvin Klein. They look nice on screen, and I'm assuming I would probably still have to get them tailored. Anybody have any experience with any of these? Cons or pros... Thanks!
Yeah I have like 25 pieces coming from Macy's. half will be returned :lol:. Compression gear.

The suits are ok for mall stuff. The hand is not the nicest but it'll get the job done if that's what you or anyone else just wants.

Back
Top Bottom