Do Jobs discriminate against people with dreads?

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by ricky409

The cold part is there are black people advising against it...

Why hide what we are?

If our previous generations had that mindset, where we would be at today?
You're looking at it the wrong way.
Whether you want to acknowledge it our not we're living in a white man's world. Sometimes you might have to play by their rules. 

No one is saying you have to, but if you do decide that you want to, you're going to have to make compromises.  

Do you have a "work voice?"

I do. It's not because I want to hide who I am but it's a choice I make because at the end of the day, I reap benefits that make it worth it to me. 

At the same time how long are we gonna keep playing their game .How can we level the playing field if we keep playing on their terms .Its odd

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by Tr1ll

False.

I did IT for JPMorgan for 4 years, walked in there with dreads. Now I'm on with a major insurance company with dreads. It really all depends on the job, the area, who's interviewing you and how well you keep your dreads.

You're still IT or are you actually doing insurance? I work for AIG and in my building, I swear there is only about 4 black male employees and they are all on the older side. It has been said that with insurance, it truley is a white man's world. Even females hardly come up as fast as guys do. I looked at all the SVPs pictures at one point and almost all of them are white. Again, this is the insurance world and that is how I see it with my company anyways.
Do you have any feel for why this is?

Honestly I have no clue. I find corporate America to be a lot like an extension of high school except the geeks or the college kids run the campus now. I used to think all this "white america" was bull but it holds true in specfic companies. Take my company and in my building, which is less then a 100 employees. The stereotypes almost hold true to its positions:

Security: Black, Asian
IT: chinese
Office Services: Black, Spanish, Filipino
HR: 2 black females
Service Dept: Filipino, white, black,
Underwriting Techs: Chinese, Filipino, Spanish
Underwriters: 90% white and the rest a mix of other races
BDMs (people who solicit business from brokers): All white and female
Managers: 90% white and the rest a mix of other races
Regional VP: white

I see why people want to start their own business after doing corporate for a couple of years. That's not an easy task either but at least you are your own boss.

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by AirThompson

When I think about it only ppl w jobs and dreads are either rappers, or actors.

Seen a few UPS cats w/ em...

Hmmm..What am I going to title my next mixtape?We Workin? Got that Work?

LOL @ baby cats confused.

Yes, dreads and the presentation of yourself definitely have an influence on your opportunities. People talk about stereotyping and all that jazz, but in reality we are all racist, and we are all prejudice. We are for that reason, because we are who we are. If we're asian, we have certain beliefs that are diff't from american ones. You get the point.

This world is still heavily dominated by Western culture, and western culture suggests that dreads are a no-no.

Dreads look tiring on a person, it's like a full head of medusa snakes that died and are now weaved onto the person.

business-e1311932698168.jpg

I have dreads and I really have mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I'm going bald, so I know when I shave my dreads, the only look i'll be rocking is the bald look. On the other hand I want to get a job in IT but my dreads is part of my identity as a musician and to top it all off I'm now living in the south. I turned on the news the other day for probably the fifth time since I've been out here and guess who's public enemy #1, some black goon with dreads, it was one goon after the other with dreads. Honestly man I love my long hair, but in this game called life if you aren't in a position to create your own rules and live according to them, then you gotta follow someone else's rules until you're great enough to do so.

Another factor to consider is your location. I'm in L.A. and I work at a firm, rocking the locs. I will say that the VP told me she didn't like my hair at first, but they're all used to it now. I had them braided a couple weeks ago. A lot has to do with how you carry yourself, like mentioned before.

It is a shame how crippling things like this can be. I mean, this is my natural hair...but it's not accepted...shame.

I do think its a knock on you no matter what.
you could be cousin jeff or waka flocka and depending on who's in charge they gonna see what they wanna see.

I have dreads and consider cutting them to fit in this white man's world but I'm not sure if I want to yet.

Do you have any feel for why this is?

Honestly I have no clue. I find corporate America to be a lot like an extension of high school except the geeks or the college kids run the campus now. I used to think all this "white america" was bull but it holds true in specfic companies. Take my company and in my building, which is less then a 100 employees. The stereotypes almost hold true to its positions:

Security: Black, Asian
IT: chinese
Office Services: Black, Spanish, Filipino
HR: 2 black females
Service Dept: Filipino, white, black,
Underwriting Techs: Chinese, Filipino, Spanish
Underwriters: 90% white and the rest a mix of other races
BDMs (people who solicit business from brokers): All white and female
Managers: 90% white and the rest a mix of other races
Regional VP: white

I see why people want to start their own business after doing corporate for a couple of years. That's not an easy task either but at least you are your own boss.

if you walk into an interview and shake your dreads you won't get a job, wear them in a pony tail or something

Best friend works at one of the most difficult to get into programs at Google with dreads... another is at McKinsey with Dreads... depends what else you have to offer.

I have dreads and mine are a lot thicker than most, and it's a fact that jobs will discriminate against you. The first discrimination comes from being a young black male. The next discrimination of course comes from the dreads while tattoos and everything else come last. I'm just at the point where I will strive/work hard everyday to be a man of my own hands and create my own employment. I'm constantly trying to learn and seize opportunities to accomplish this. Why do I want to rely on a white man to determine my livelihood and feed me? This is the same man who continues to oppress and kill me (my people) after the well known history of this country, surely has a lot to say behind my back (cowards) yet I'm supposed to compromise my natural self to appease his insecurities? I'll pass. If we all thought like this, we wouldn't even be having discussions of "discrimination in the workplace". Racism is everywhere at every corner in this country because it is the foundation on which this country was built. Trust me, those in power are in no rush to change our current system and give up their privileges.

"Real n@##*$ do what they wanna do, female dog n&^^@$ do what they can."-Tupac

Originally Posted by ThorrocksJs

Why hide what we are?

Whether you want to acknowledge it our not we're living in a white man's world. Sometimes you might have to play by their rules. 

No one is saying you have to, but if you do decide that you want to, you're going to have to make compromises.  

I do. It's not because I want to hide who I am but it's a choice I make because at the end of the day, I reap benefits that make it worth it to me. 

At the same time how long are we gonna keep playing their game .How can we level the playing field if we keep playing on their terms .Its odd

thank you... tattoos and piercings are one thing... I can't change the way my hair grows. We need less back people conforming just to appease certain groups because there are numerous impressive people that are discriminated against because their hair texture. When will we stand up.

Most of you playing the "woe is me" race card is laughable. Thanks for the laugh.

It may be your natural hair, but it's not your natural hair style. It's a style you chose and its a style that doesn't fit in some corporate settings.

There are hairstyles that ate just deemed unacceptable and it has nothing to do with ethnicity.

Some of you guys have tunnel vision.

Dreads is the equivalent of a light skinned person going to an interview with a Mohawk, faux hawk or long hair. You'll get entry level non-corporate gigs. Major corporate gig? Nope, unless you have an impressive resume/background.

Originally Posted by ThorrocksJs

Why hide what we are?

thank you... tattoos and piercings are one thing... I can't change the way my hair grows. We need less back people conforming just to appease certain groups because there are numerous impressive people that are discriminated against because their hair texture. When will we stand up.

I think as the older generation dies off and the newer generations emerge, things like hair styles will be less of a concern. Granted things are way better then they used to be 10-20 years ago but you still have to conform to things that companies stand by.

But office politics is a funny thing. I never thought even things like me listening to rap or not being into sports like the next college kid could seperate me from the majority here in my company. I keep saying it but all these guys that I work with are people I would have never associated in high school and I am sure vice a versa with me. I just thought that would all be out the window when you are older but I guessed wrong.

Back
Top Bottom