Deputy shoots(head), kills man during struggle for gun at Hospital; help for an acquaintance

INGLEWOOD, Calif. —A deputy shot and killed a man who was in custody on suspicion of illegal drug possession early Thursday at Centinela Hospital Medical Center in Inglewood after the man reached for another deputy's weapon, according to investigators.

Two deputies accompanied the man in the emergency room at the hospital after his arrest Wednesday afternoon on suspicion of possession of a controlled substance, according to investigators. A deputy opened fire after the man tried to grab the other deputy's gun.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

"There were no other patients, hospital staff, physicians or visitors in the exam room at the time of the shooting," according to a hospital statement.

"During his stay at South LA Station, he had a medical situation and the jailer called the fire department," said Lt. Holly Francisco.

A witness at the hospital told NBC4 the man's handcuffs had just been removed so he could sign papers at the hospital.

"Then, everything exploded after that," said Ken Cobb. "I heard the gunshot, and I just made sure I was out of the way."

The subject had one hand handcuffed to the gurney and used his free hand to reach for the deputy's weapon, Francisco said. He was "aggressively trying to take the gun from the deputy," Francisco said.

The coroner arrived at about 6:30 a.m. to remove the body.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Deputy-Shooting-Inglewood-Hospital-174762281.html

Alright NT this man was my brother in law's nephew and just wanted to get some help on this issue

This just seems very weird to us; not stated in any article online but I know for a fact he was shot on the head while he supposedly tried to gain possession of the Deputy's weapon

Now it was under my impression that police are trained to shoot towards the center of mass and a head shot just seems so hate driven |I A man that had one hand cuffed and was tied down to a bed doesn't deserve a head shot. He was already at a hospital so it seems like they really wanted him dead

This guy was a calm guy, not wild and one to try and get a gun from a cop
we believe he might have been harassed to a point where he had to fight back

I feel like this just turned into a rant; sorry but im lost on this, the head shot is really affecting the whole family and honestly he didn't deserve that if he indeed reached for the gun which no one out side those two cops and victim will know. If you took the time to execute a perfect head shot, why not aim for the hand and save a life? if you're gonna be such a marksman....

Last edited:
I'm not a cop, but if somebody risks my life, I'm aiming for anything I can get **shrugs**
I'm sure there's cameras in the hospital tho right?

Did the officer use excessive, possibly unnecessary, force? Sure.

Did the victim bring this upon himself? Yes.

Either way, RIP. My condolences to your fam.

Last edited:
Oh come the f*** on! Dude reached for a cop's gun, and they responded with necessary force. You're making it sound like they sat him up, drew a target on his head, and fired. Don't give me this "center of mass" crap. Training is one thing, but when a guy grabs a cop's gun, it's game on. Sorry.

if he still had one hand cuffed couldnt the cop whos gun he was reaching for just move out of his reach?  

u guys need to realize these cops can make up almost any story they want.  i want to know what drug he was on and what he was at the hospital for before i even believe that he just reached for the gun.

I see a lot of opinions already, (expected that on NT) but ain't nobody seen any tape or evidence, it's just the cops word and that's it.

Cause face it homeboy can't defend his word he dead.

Of course you know the cops will get off, sorry for your loss.

sorry for your family's loss..i agree they could have shot him elsewhere, a one armed man connected to a bed doesn't really equal that big of a risk. Also, why would the cop be that close to him. Those guns are usually strapped in.

What is his race? Did he have a history of drug use? Has he ever spazzed out like this before?

He made a terrible mistake and shouldnt have reached for the cop's gun.

Im sincerely sorry for your loss

INGLEWOOD, Calif. —A deputy shot and killed a man who was in custody on suspicion of illegal drug possession early Thursday at Centinela Hospital Medical Center in Inglewood after the man reached for another deputy's weapon, according to investigators.

Two deputies accompanied the man in the emergency room at the hospital after his arrest Wednesday afternoon on suspicion of possession of a controlled substance, according to investigators. A deputy opened fire after the man tried to grab the other deputy's gun.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

"There were no other patients, hospital staff, physicians or visitors in the exam room at the time of the shooting," according to a hospital statement.

"During his stay at South LA Station, he had a medical situation and the jailer called the fire department," said Lt. Holly Francisco.

A witness at the hospital told NBC4 the man's handcuffs had just been removed so he could sign papers at the hospital.

"Then, everything exploded after that," said Ken Cobb. "I heard the gunshot, and I just made sure I was out of the way."

The subject had one hand handcuffed to the gurney and used his free hand to reach for the deputy's weapon, Francisco said. He was "aggressively trying to take the gun from the deputy," Francisco said.

The coroner arrived at about 6:30 a.m. to remove the body.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Deputy-Shooting-Inglewood-Hospital-174762281.html

Alright NT this man was my brother in law's nephew and just wanted to get some help on this issue

This just seems very weird to us; not stated in any article online but I know for a fact he was shot on the head while he supposedly tried to gain possession of the Deputy's weapon

Now it was under my impression that police are trained to shoot towards the center of mass and a head shot just seems so hate driven |I A man that had one hand cuffed and was tied down to a bed doesn't deserve a head shot. He was already at a hospital so it seems like they really wanted him dead

This guy was a calm guy, not wild and one to try and get a gun from a cop
we believe he might have been harassed to a point where he had to fight back

I feel like this just turned into a rant; sorry but im lost on this, the head shot is really affecting the whole family and honestly he didn't deserve that if he indeed reached for the gun which no one out side those two cops and victim will know. If you took the time to execute a perfect head shot, why not aim for the hand and save a life? if you're gonna be such a marksman....

Its not center of mass, its center mass. Center mass is what's biggest to the officer in his immediate line of sight. The head happened to be center mass. You cannot shoot a hand. This is not a movie.

Its not center of mass, its center mass. Center mass is what's biggest to the officer in his immediate line of sight. The head happened to be center mass. You cannot shoot a hand. This is not a movie.

sums up my response to every "should have" argument I've heard from people who call excessive force on cops. Should've shot him in the eye, should've disarmed him on some John Woo ish, should've shot the gun out his hand. Real life doesn't work that way, if you give a cop a reason or if they perceive a threat they are programmed to use deadly force. Police officers aren't marines, they have a dangerous job and some of them are scared and just wanna go home to their families.

Sorry for you loss.

I see a lot of opinions already, (expected that on NT) but ain't nobody seen any tape or evidence, it's just the cops word and that's it.

Cause face it homeboy can't defend his word he dead.

Of course you know the cops will get off, sorry for your loss.

qft

barely but some what related

how is this hate driven?

he reached for cops gun, what did you expect to happen? hes not going to shoot the gun out his hand.

im sorry for your loss, but idk what your exceptions of this are

Man he reached for his gun....you've got to be kidding if you expected the cop to pepper spray him or some ****. Anyone grabs for my gun **** is popping off.

Back
Top Bottom