Dark Girls: Documentary On deep-seated biases and attitudes about skin color (Dark Girls: 10 PM: OWN

Everybody wanna be black except black people.

Tight.
smokin.gif
Pops dark mom brown, i came out brown and my bro a little darker(not really dark but darker than me and my mom).

He would always tease me about being lighter(which I never understood because we got the same parents fool and we look similar besides hair and skin color), but it never bugged me. You have to embrace what God has blessed you with. Why people always tryna change themselves to be something you not. Thats why I'm happy for this Natural hair movement going on with black women. When they rock those wigs and perms you just look like a variant or b grade person. You were born with your hair the way it is, ain't nothing wrong with it. WTH is nappy if your hair has and was meant to be that texture and color for SURVIAL? I hope we all(all races) learn to embrace our god given blessings.

All this other stuff is just extra.

By vocal whats wrong with it? Are you saying they just running around yelling their preference?
Don't play stupid.

You know what I'm talking about. ****** always talking about how "they need a light skin broad"..."where the light brights at"..."I need me a redbone".

Hip-Hop culture has ESPECIALLY perpetuated the complexion stereotypes for YEARS.

Example...look at the controversy that idiot Consequence started with his whole "light skins the right skin" ******** on Vh1. Those types of comments do MUCH more damage than what the person saying them probably intended to.

Don't play stupid.

You know what I'm talking about. ****** always talking about how "they need a light skin broad"..."where the light brights at"..."I need me a redbone".

Hip-Hop culture has ESPECIALLY perpetuated the complexion stereotypes for YEARS.

Example...look at the controversy that idiot Consequence started with his whole "light skins the right skin" ******** on Vh1. Those types of comments do MUCH more damage than what the person saying them probably intended to.
I've said it mutiple times, its a preference.  Something already wrong if your allowing hip hop to define your views on society. A bunch of rappers liking mixed or light chicks doesn't affect how my mind and ==== defines what I think its beautiful. I've heard it all. My family taught me to like who you are and accept who you are. I got all shades of color in my family for NT background black to team roshe member pale. Embracing who you are is the main objective. Knowing yourself and your worth helps a long way. Why you care so much about your friends like light skin chicks? You mad they aren't attracted you or something lol?

Last edited:
I've said it mutiple times, its a preference.  Something already wrong if your allowing hip hop to define your views on society. A bunch of rappers liking mixed or light chicks doesn't affect how my mind and ==== defines what I think its beautiful. I've heard it all. My family taught me to like who you are and accept who you are. I got all shades of color in my family for NT background black to team roshe member pale. Embracing who you are is the main objective. Knowing yourself and your worth helps a long way. Why you care so much about your friends like light skin chicks? You mad they aren't attracted you or something lol?
now you just trying to play naive famb. :lol:

You know damb well that **** effects people.

I've said it mutiple times, its a preference.  Something already wrong if your allowing hip hop to define your views on society. A bunch of rappers liking mixed or light chicks doesn't affect how my mind and ==== defines what I think its beautiful.
Are you SLOW?

I know its a preference. I'm talking about the preference being so VOCAL amongst black people. When did I say Hip-Hop defined MY views on society?

I used hip-hop as an example of perpetuation of complexion stereotypes. And you're slower than I think if you don't think Hip-Hop and pop culture in general has a HUGE impact on the way many black youth think and act.

now you just trying to play naive famb.
laugh.gif

For every 1 person who lives life based on TV(music, movies, Television shows)  there is a person who lives based on what they taught at home. Not every dark person is self hating. Many people grew up being exposed to all different types of media and it does not define my views on society. My POINT is that the issue is not the media, its the home.

Pops dark mom brown, i came out brown and my bro a little darker(not really dark but darker than me and my mom).

He would always tease me about being lighter(which I never understood because we got the same parents fool and we look similar besides hair and skin color), but it never bugged me. You have to embrace what God has blessed you with. Why people always tryna change themselves to be something you not. Thats why I'm happy for this Natural hair movement going on with black women. When they rock those wigs and perms you just look like a variant or b grade person. You were born with your hair the way it is, ain't nothing wrong with it. WTH is nappy if your hair has and was meant to be that texture and color for SURVIAL? I hope we all(all races) learn to embrace our god given blessings.

All this other stuff is just extra.

I agree, I've seen dudes who just started growing their hair from a dark ceasar have nicer hair then girls that have been growing all their life and I just shake my head man. Really it doesn't even take the much to get your hair popping and healthy.

Are you SLOW?

I know its a preference. I'm talking about the preference being so VOCAL amongst black people. When did I say Hip-Hop defined MY views on society?

I used hip-hop as an example of perpetuation of complexion stereotypes. And you're slower than I think if you don't think Hip-Hop and pop culture in general has a HUGE impact on the way many black youth think and act.
Never said it didn't I said it shouldn't. You probably grew up watching cartoons. You say Bugs bunny being chased, did that make you want to go attack every bunny or animal you saw? No, because Mom told you thats not whats right.

now you just trying to play naive famb. :lol:

For every 1 person who lives life based on TV(music, movies, Television shows)  there is a person who lives based on what they taught at home. Not every dark person is self hating. Many people grew up being exposed to all different types of media and it does not define my views on society. My POINT is that the issue is not the media, its the home.

Both play a big role. Cause it doesn't take much for the media to reach your home. We're on laptops and/or phones right now, and more than likely watching this special on tv. It's the 'chicken or the egg' thing.

I agree, I've seen dudes who just started growing their hair from a dark ceasar have nicer hair then girls that have been growing all their life and I just shake my head man. Really it doesn't even take the much to get your hair popping and healthy.
Black hair is mad cool. Thats why when I read Rickys story of getting hired beyond the things that SOCIETY deems as behaving to ethic, it let other brothers who on the site know that ain't nothing wrong with being yourself. Embrace yourself.

I got a curly nappy fro and I've never had a white person call my hair nappy, but I've had mutiple black people comment on it(in a negative or positive way)

Both play a big role. Cause it doesn't take much for the media to reach your home. We're on laptops and/or phones right now, and more than likely watching this special on tv. It's the 'chicken or the egg' thing.
My family values outweigh TV land. Sure its easy to access media now than it was 10 years ago, but a child should be seeing his or her parent way more than they see media and each second should be spent teaching your child to embrace their themselves

Last edited:
You're right, but it doesn't mean that the media still doesn't have any power. I don't listen to mainstream radio, but I know what songs are being played 15 times a day.

My family values outweigh TV land. Sure its easy to access media now than it was 10 years ago, but a child should be seeing his or her parent way more than they see media and each second should be spent teaching your child to embrace their themselves
Let's not forget that some parents are complete idiots that shouldn't have had kids to begin with. Their values may be worse than what is on TV. The most important thing a child should learn is to question everything that every person ever tells them, regardless of who it is. They shouldn't be vocal about it but they should at least be taught to think objectively and avoid letting others influence their decisions.

You're right, but it doesn't mean that the media still doesn't have any power. I don't listen to mainstream radio, but I know what songs are being played 15 times a day.
But I've never said it didn't have power bro lol. I told you and I'm telling you that I(DIRTYBUHBUHNEW) FEEL that your home life should be stronger than your media influence.

Let's not forget that some parents are complete idiots that shouldn't have had kids to begin with. Their values may be worse than what is on TV. The most important thing a child should learn is to question everything that every person ever tells them, regardless of who it is. They shouldn't be vocal about it but they should at least be taught to think objectively and avoid letting others influence their decisions.
That one I can't fix. That once again starts at the home. Your mom has you at 16 and her mom was a crackhead or never taught you good values, it would not be far fetched to say that your child may be taught the same messed up values and make your same mistakes. Its a repeating cycle. Same way it relates to lessons of self love.

But I've never said it didn't have power bro lol. I told you and I'm telling you that I(DIRTYBUHBUHNEW) FEEL that your home life should be stronger than your media influence.
but with the majority, it ain't... and you know that...

So what you talking about, famb? :lol:

And that's how it should be. Emphasis on should.

Last edited:
Missed it. gonna DVR the 1 am showing and watch tomorrow.

I love my dark skinned sistahs b.

I don't really have a type/preference but the majority of my women have been brown/dark.

That's just how its played it out. I ain't make a concerted effort to target em or nothing like that

I'm rick Ross complexion, if it matters

Back
Top Bottom