Conan O'Brien -- Free at Last

Originally Posted by eeibaby

Originally Posted by AgentArenas

Originally Posted by RickFoxJr

Conan O'Brien is losing "The Tonight Show" but he'll be getting a $32.5 million consolation prize courtesy of NBC ..

In return, we've learned Conan has agreed to sit on the bench until September. Translation -- he can't host another show until the fall.

In addition to the $32.5 mil, we've learned NBC is also paying severance to Conan's "Tonight Show" employees. In all, we're told NBC's payout is around $40 million.

But Conan probably won't see close to the $32.5 mil. Under the deal, any money Conan makes during the remaining contract period with NBC will offset the network's obligation. So, if Fox were to make a deal with Conan and pay him $25 mil during the NBC contract period, Conan would only score $7.5 mil from NBC.

One well-placed NBC source told us something surprising -- looks like NBC may keep its intellectual property rights. So Conan can't take his creations -- such as Triumph the Insult Comic Dog and the Masturbating Bear -- to his next gig.
indifferent.gif

That would suck. Sure hed have the freedom to make other stuff but still, that sucks.
Can they really do that?
That is terrible.

EFF NBC, that's all I have to say. Wherever Conan goes, I'll be watching as well.

I'm mad. I figured a move to FOX would be the resserection of the masturbating bear.

Triumph is a staple of Conan's show too. Does this also mean they have the rights to "In The Year 2000/3000"?

If so
smh.gif

I'm sure he can come up with new +##* just as funny material.

Conan O'Brien is losing "The Tonight Show" but he'll be getting a $32.5 million consolation prize courtesy of NBC ..

In return, we've learned Conan has agreed to sit on the bench until September. Translation -- he can't host another show until the fall.

In addition to the $32.5 mil, we've learned NBC is also paying severance to Conan's "Tonight Show" employees. In all, we're told NBC's payout is around $40 million.

But Conan probably won't see close to the $32.5 mil. Under the deal, any money Conan makes during the remaining contract period with NBC will offset the network's obligation. So, if Fox were to make a deal with Conan and pay him $25 mil during the NBC contract period, Conan would only score $7.5 mil from NBC.

One well-placed NBC source told us something surprising -- looks like NBC may keep its intellectual property rights. So Conan can't take his creations -- such as Triumph the Insult Comic Dog and the Masturbating Bear -- to his next gig.
indifferent.gif

That would suck. Sure hed have the freedom to make other stuff but still, that sucks.
Can they really do that?
yes. and if they're smart they will.

google the term "works for hire"

I have a feeling this will end up being the best thing that ever happened to Conan, I mean how can he complain about a gauranteed 32.5 mil?

A new fresh start for his show won't hurt it IMO, it still all revolves around him being hillarious night in and night out.

My question is what is NBC gonna do when Leno continues to kill their ratings.

Originally Posted by Fundamental21Ticket

Originally Posted by Ryda421

they should have NEVER of gotten fallon.

they should have just replaced leno with fallon. smh
This will never work. Why would Leno want to follow Conan when he's been the lead dog for all those years. The problem NBC now has is who's going to replace Jay when he officially retires? Conan would had been a success if they gave him time but NBC panicked over the ratings and Leno wanted the Tonight Show back.
i guess you forgot your sarcasm meter when you logged into your SN.
tired.gif

jay tried to act sincere on his show today, and even then he still sounded like a emotionless robot, dude is a coward, I hope he falls flat in the ratings

if this is conans last week howard won't be on since he named everyone who will be on the show this week...at least will ferrell will be on
laugh.gif

they can't keep all of conans bits in the year 2000/3000 is funny, so is triumph, and celebrity survey is classic

I thought he named people and followed it with, "and more" or "and more suprises", which could include Stern, but he may not want to dothat. Someone needs to contact him (via his website, Craigslist ad, or somewhere else) and remind him about Stern's comments.

smh.gif

I think you can hate on Leno for not standing up for Conan but beyond that I don't understand the hate. 2 years ago Leno was put into this position by NBC.He didn't want to leave the Tonight Show and they basically forced him out and dealed him the new show. Leno got done dirty first and now it's hittingConan. NBC is to blame for this crap everyone else is just working with the position they've been put in.

Originally Posted by holdenmichael

I thought he named people and followed it with, "and more" or "and more suprises", which could include Stern, but he may not want to do that. Someone needs to contact him (via his website, Craigslist ad, or somewhere else) and remind him about Stern's comments.
Conan's people has already contacted Howard, and from listening to his show last week it sounds like he's gonna do the Tonight Show mostlikely on Friday.

Am I the only one who has never found anything funny about Conan other than how he looks? I'm just saying........ *shrugs*

Around three to four hundred hardcore Conan O'Brien fans braved the drenching rain to rally for the Tonight Show outside Universal Studios this afternoon. "Jay Leno sucks!" the crowd chanted in between screaming at passing by cars as horns were honked. Packed to capacity, people spilled out onto Lankershim Boulevard before police calmed and spread the crowd out.

La Bamba made a couple appearances in a pope-like-mobile truck. Then, finally, Conan appeared, running down Lakershim Boulevard, prompting a running of the bulls moment towards Universal Studios' Gate 2. Security stopped fans from entering studio property, but the driveway entrance was incapacitated. "Conan stopped the rain," crowds chanted as blue skies peeked out. Eventually, Tonight Show staff brought out free pizza from Miceli's, the local pizzeria in the Cahuenga Pass (there is a Hollywood location, too), as Conan made his way to a roof to wave a fans.

The whole time, people were just screaming their heads off. Celebrity chaos at its best.

IMG_4170.jpg

conan-waves.jpg

IMG_4177.JPG

IMG_4180.JPG

conan-thumbs-up.jpg

IMG_4144.JPG

IMG_4147.JPG

IMG_4152.JPG

roll.gif
pimp.gif
@ La Bamba

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

I think you can hate on Leno for not standing up for Conan but beyond that I don't understand the hate. 2 years ago Leno was put into this position by NBC. He didn't want to leave the Tonight Show and they basically forced him out and dealed him the new show. Leno got done dirty first and now it's hitting Conan. NBC is to blame for this crap everyone else is just working with the position they've been put in.
It wasn't 2 years ago, it was over 5 years ago that NBC came to Leno with this. NBC is the main culprit behind all of this stupidity, howeverLeno isn't the victim here. Yes, NBC forced Leno's hand into retiring, but Leno had the Tonight Show for 17 years, that's more than enough time inthe spotlight, plus in order to avoid the conflict like he and Letterman had, a future agreement had to be made. Where Leno is the ###%!%! is he openly campaigned and said he wanted The Tonight Show back once Conan went on the air, he put a subpar product out in his awfulJay Leno Show, and he was in full agreement and support of pushing The Tonight Show back to 12:05 in order to get his show at 11:35, that right there showedthat Leno doesn't care about history or the Tonight Show, but just so he can be back in the spotlight.

Leno wants the show just to have it, he doesn't actually care and he's willing to sacrifice Conan in order to get it.

Originally Posted by gregzzy23

indifferent.gif

Can they really do that?
That is terrible.

yeh ... whatever you create while working for a company belongs to the company ... i.e. if you work @ JP MORGAN CHASE and create a model that makes a killingin the stock market ... you can't leave and take it with you if you leave or are fired ... the model belongs to the company ... i hate that but thas theway things work
indifferent.gif

Conan will just do what Letterman did and rename them, like how the Top Ten List changed to the Late Show Top Ten, so expect there to be a masturbating grizzlyor panda
laugh.gif
. As for Triumph, we'll see, I'm sure they can dosomething about that as well.

Back
Top Bottom