Columbia Air Jordan 4 Retro for 2015 (01/10/15 $190)

Not a valid argument at all. Air max 95's have been $140 forever. Giving inflation and all of those things you've mentioned they're about $160 now. Now the quality is not the same as it once was in terms of the feel, but it's mostly the same shoe in terms of performance. So we have a shoe with 20 year old technology that has only increased $20 in the past 20 years.

Look at these columbia's, technology that is 25 years old, and now cost $90 more than what it cost 10 years ago. The leather is probably about the same quality as it was 10 - 15 years ago, before Gentry came in and butchered **** so I'll give you that it should definitely cost more. But a 90% increase in price in 10 years vs 15% increase in price over 20 years from a product in the same company? And the AM95 undoubtedly has a larger global recognition and appeal? I'm sorry, paying that much just is not justifiable. If you want the shoe and enjoy it, then buy it by all means. But do not stand up for JB and say that a price hike like that is acceptable when it is not. They will keep hitting yall over the head with these prices, because you believe it's "acceptable". Once yall stop paying these prices, they'll stop raising them.
your argument is not valid at all, AM dont sell out in a day, and there arent many air max collectors compare to jordan, if air max models sell out like jordans do, tell me they wont increase the price. if everyone stops buying jb shoes they will go down in price for sure. thats the basic supply demand  affect price and quantity stuff you learn in freshman year of college. 

Step outside of your bubble. Jordans may sellout first day in the hood or in the US, not the case in the rest of the world. I guarantee if you go anywhere else in the world right now you'll see two things. 1. Hot Jordan releases sitting on shelves. 2. More Air maxes on feet than jordans on feet. Just because YOU don't see many air max collectors doesn't mean they don't exist. There are many people who collect ONLY air maxes and years ago on this very site their were teams dedicated to air max love. Selling out is no way indicative of the overall value and love of the shoe. Air maxes sell steadily all throughout the year, not just around christmas time. Not to mention when nike sends their shoes off to stores, they get their bread up front anyway so it doesn't really matter how shoes sell in the store.

JB raised the prices because they knew they could and the loyal fanbase and hypebeast would cop regardless.

Step outside of your bubble. Jordans may sellout first day in the hood or in the US, not the case in the rest of the world. I guarantee if you go anywhere else in the world right now you'll see two things. 1. Hot Jordan releases sitting on shelves. 2. More Air maxes on feet than jordans on feet. Just because YOU don't see many air max collectors doesn't mean they don't exist. There are many people who collect ONLY air maxes and years ago on this very site their were teams dedicated to air max love. Selling out is no way indicative of the overall value and love of the shoe. Air maxes sell steadily all throughout the year, not just around christmas time. Not to mention when nike sends their shoes off to stores, they get their bread up front anyway so it doesn't really matter how shoes sell in the store.

JB raised the prices because they knew they could and the loyal fanbase and hypebeast would cop regardless.
im sorry i was born in asia, so i know better than you what its like outside of the states. not to mention both retail and resell price in asia is higher than here. i always get shoes from ndc china too, EU is the least popular place for jordans but still they dont sit on shelves most of the times. columbia 11s retail for 1599 chinese yuan, compare to 200 bucks, you calculate the difference. 

Last edited:
$5 to $10 is understandable. $25 is understandable.

$100 in 2004 is worth $125 in 2014. I was working and in hs in 04 and bought those 4's. I'm making astronomically more money then I did in hs but %90 increase in price vs a 25% increase in inflation is absurd. Maybe it's because I was copping way back when and just don't care for jb at all anymore. I support yall if you're really down to cop, just know what you're doing and don't defend this crap. It's probably the economics teacher in me talking as well, carry on.
how are you comparing your earning to the market price, the shoes are made by those workers in china, not you, not anyone in the states. how much has china developed over the last 15-20 year? you know what that means? wages will go up for the workers right? raw materials price would go up as well right? so what happens? no price change at all if your nike? you wanna make less money every year?

So these workers are getting paid 90% more than what they used to get? Even with the foamposites popping a few years ago nike raised the price about 20% or so. Those employees aren't getting that money, if they were every single shoe would cost 90% more than it use to, not just one model. Those materials aren't drastically more expensive now.

Like I said if you like the shoe, I'm not knocking you. I just don't see how you could possibly defend them. I have hella respect for dude who said "we're suckers, but I'm going to buy it anyway" At least he realizes that it's a sham, but he likes the shoe. Don't hype JB or Nike up to be this fiaryland for employees when it is not. They're making fakes in the same damn factories and selling them out they backdoor.

Here we go..

Inflation exists and Nike is not immune to it.  And just because Air Max hasn't gone up in price it doesn't mean that inflation is BS.  It means that Nike as a brand has chosen to lessen their profit margin in an effort to continue selling the shoe.  Possibly they believe that if they increase their margin and the total cost of the shoe, then consumers will not purchase it (my guess), however the dollar to dollar inflation is the same on an AM and Jordan.

Now with Jordan they have empirical data that shows that they can continue to raise the cost of the shoe to align with margins.  You know how they can determine this.. everyone who has purchased a shoe at reseller costs has become part of Nike's case study.  So Nike see's that raising JB product pricing will not effect the volumes they move and choose to keep up with inflation and sell the shoe at a higher cost.

So these workers are getting paid 90% more than what they used to get? Even with the foamposites popping a few years ago nike raised the price about 20% or so. Those employees aren't getting that money, if they were every single shoe would cost 90% more than it use to, not just one model. Those materials aren't drastically more expensive now.

Like I said if you like the shoe, I'm not knocking you. I just don't see how you could possibly defend them. I have hella respect for dude who said "we're suckers, but I'm going to buy it anyway" At least he realizes that it's a sham, but he likes the shoe. Don't hype JB or Nike up to be this fiaryland for employees when it is not. They're making fakes in the same damn factories and selling them out they backdoor.
i like the shoes, and i got the money to buy them. yup, 20 years ago my family was poor as ****, now my family prolly makes 50 times more money than what we used to make. thats why you see chinese ppl balling everywhere nowadays, do you see that 15 years ago? 

Looks closer to the 99 mold

Reblogged the photos from a different thread credit goes to who ever posted these
am i the only one that thinks the OG mold is ugly? 99 mold looks good, i wish they remastered wc 4s with nike air next year

10 years ago I bought the white/green 4's for $100. There is no shoe, or product in general that increases that much over time in retail. Resale is something different, but brand new from a brick and mortar, there is absolutely no reason they should cost that much. It's your bread, spend it how you like. I just refuse to buy jb products anymore.
really not a big deal at all, labors in china are slowly increasing, inflation, exchange rate you gotta take into account all these factors, plus they are giving us better quality. the cost of these maybe only 10-20 bucks, but they need to make x amount proportion of the profit. 

Not a valid argument at all. Air max 95's have been $140 forever. Giving inflation and all of those things you've mentioned they're about $160 now. Now the quality is not the same as it once was in terms of the feel, but it's mostly the same shoe in terms of performance. So we have a shoe with 20 year old technology that has only increased $20 in the past 20 years.

Look at these columbia's, technology that is 25 years old, and now cost $90 more than what it cost 10 years ago. The leather is probably about the same quality as it was 10 - 15 years ago, before Gentry came in and butchered **** so I'll give you that it should definitely cost more. But a 90% increase in price in 10 years vs 15% increase in price over 20 years from a product in the same company? And the AM95 undoubtedly has a larger global recognition and appeal? I'm sorry, paying that much just is not justifiable. If you want the shoe and enjoy it, then buy it by all means. But do not stand up for JB and say that a price hike like that is acceptable when it is not. They will keep hitting yall over the head with these prices, because you believe it's "acceptable". Once yall stop paying these prices, they'll stop raising them.

repped

am i the only one that thinks the OG mold is ugly? 99 mold looks good, i wish they remastered wc 4s with nike air next year
I just like how sharp the toebox on the OG mold is

But that's my personal opinion

Supply and Demand

Going to use this example because it happened to me today

In Checkers they had the fry lovers burger for 1.00

A  few weeks pass Checkers see they can use the same ingredients and raise the price to 1.35 people are still buying them

A Month pass now the price is 1.89 same amount of fries same bun same everything

Price only went up because people were buying them

More people are buying jordans now so why not increase the price if people will pay for it

Last edited:

Here we go..

Inflation exists and Nike is not immune to it.  And just because Air Max hasn't gone up in price it doesn't mean that inflation is BS.  It means that Nike as a brand has chosen to lessen their profit margin in an effort to continue selling the shoe.  Possibly they believe that if they increase their margin and the total cost of the shoe, then consumers will not purchase it (my guess), however the dollar to dollar inflation is the same on an AM and Jordan.

Now with Jordan they have empirical data that shows that they can continue to raise the cost of the shoe to align with margins.  You know how they can determine this.. everyone who has purchased a shoe at reseller costs has become part of Nike's case study.  So Nike see's that raising JB product pricing will not effect the volumes they move and choose to keep up with inflation and sell the shoe at a higher cost.
I didn't even think about them tracking the resell price and everything. I just assumed JB knows nikkas gon pay $10 because everything already selling out.

Repped for smartness

Supply and Demand

Going to use this example because it happened to me today

In Checkers they had the fry lovers burger for 1.00

A  few weeks pass Checkers see they can use the same ingredients and raise the price to 1.35 people are still buying them

A Month pass now the price is 1.89 same amount of fries same bun same everything

Price only went up because people were buying them

More people are buying jordans now so why not increase the price if people will pay for it
Idk the average age of NT memebers but it's kinda said the concept of supply and demand has to be explained lol.

Last edited:
After that I just stopped buying them

But that didn't make the price drop.
tired.gif

They know if I want the lady to put the fries on my burger for me

I'll pay up.

But here's the thing even understanding simple supply and demand doesn't explain the price increases. You still have to dive a little deeper. At some point in any market there is a point where the consumer says this is entirely too much and the price adjusts from there. Or people continue to pay the increase as in what happens with JB. For retros, JB has created a perfect market. Supply and demand is always going to be perfectly matched for JB retros (only retros cause lets face it team jordans are weak). They've set a price point higher and higher and you can choose to walk away, and many do. They are in quite a unique sphere where they can charge absolutely whatever they want and people will continue to buy them. There is no competition and according to JB and it's consumers there is nothing like the latest retro. Because there is "no competition" they really can charge whatever they want.

Here's where it gets tricky. Supply and demand changes when you have competitors. If checkers raises the price of that burger too much, people will just go to Wendy's or Burger King or any other place. Checkers sees this, prices go down. Going back to the example of Air Maxes, most people who buy air maxes understand that there are competitors and would not continue to purchase if prices got out of hand. Most jordan buyers, including myself when I use to buy, do not see competition and have to have this ONE shoe. Regardless of the fact that there are shoes that look like, that cost less, have better tech, in the consumer's eyes there is the one shoe, there is no alternative. JB understands this and charges whatever they want to, thus creating their perfect market where every retro will sell out instantly. Most casual shoe buyers want a certain style or color and understand that there are alternatives. Kudos to JB for brainwashing us and creating insane demand. Once you realize that there are competitors and these are simply pieces of leather for walking and protection, although they do look nice, you either walk away or continue to buy. The more who walk away and buy a competitor, the more the prices drop. But not enough will walk away so once again kudos to JB.

The Oreos would be dope if they didn't have the speckle on em', that kills a nearly flawless sneaker for me. I'll pass.

As for the Colombia's, I am heavily contemplating...

But here's the thing even understanding simple supply and demand doesn't explain the price increases. You still have to dive a little deeper. At some point in any market there is a point where the consumer says this is entirely too much and the price adjusts from there. Or people continue to pay the increase as in what happens with JB. For retros, JB has created a perfect market. Supply and demand is always going to be perfectly matched for JB retros (only retros cause lets face it team jordans are weak). They've set a price point higher and higher and you can choose to walk away, and many do. They are in quite a unique sphere where they can charge absolutely whatever they want and people will continue to buy them. There is no competition and according to JB and it's consumers there is nothing like the latest retro. Because there is "no competition" they really can charge whatever they want.

Here's where it gets tricky. Supply and demand changes when you have competitors. If checkers raises the price of that burger too much, people will just go to Wendy's or Burger King or any other place. Checkers sees this, prices go down. Going back to the example of Air Maxes, most people who buy air maxes understand that there are competitors and would not continue to purchase if prices got out of hand. Most jordan buyers, including myself when I use to buy, do not see competition and have to have this ONE shoe. Regardless of the fact that there are shoes that look like, that cost less, have better tech, in the consumer's eyes there is the one shoe, there is no alternative. JB understands this and charges whatever they want to, thus creating their perfect market where every retro will sell out instantly. Most casual shoe buyers want a certain style or color and understand that there are alternatives. Kudos to JB for brainwashing us and creating insane demand. Once you realize that there are competitors and these are simply pieces of leather for walking and protection, although they do look nice, you either walk away or continue to buy. The more who walk away and buy a competitor, the more the prices drop. But not enough will walk away so once again kudos to JB.
its simple enuff but you just cant comprehend 

Last edited:
cant wait for this release. now that the holiday 11 craze is over, itll feel good to actually win some raffles...lol

Back
Top Bottom