College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

Yeah...the times I did see PSU last season...it was a decent team and always gave effort.

Certainly, the month of July could have gone better for Terrence Jones. But August has started off plenty well for the lanky 6-foot-8,205-pound forward from Jefferson High School in Portland. Jones was selected to participate in the second annual Nike Global Challenge held at Liberty HighSchool in Hillsboro, and while his role has been largely a supporting one there's no question that Jones has been appreciative of the opportunity toparticipate.

[table][tr][td]
670156.jpg
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Nathan Traller[/td] [/tr][/table]"It's a big priviledge - there are only 30 people (from the U.S.) playing in it so I feelblessed," Jones said. "I feel blessed having this experience and having fun."

The event is a high for Jones as the month of July saw its levels of frustrations on the AAU circuit. Jones broke a finger on his off-hand in the first game ofthe Peach Jam, and it unfortunately hampered his ability to do everything that he normally does.

"I did ok - I was playing with one hand so I was just glad to play," Jones said. "It was different because we didn't have everybody that weusually have, so people had to step up and play bigger roles than what they usually have to play. But it was cool."

Even with just one hand, Jones impressed many an observer on the circuit. Since coaches can call rising juniors once a month, Jones has gotten his share ofphone calls once summer ball ended. He noted that assistant coaches from Kansas, Washington, Texas, and North Carolina haveall recently given him a buzz. "They've been telling me good job and where I fit on their list," Jones said. "That and will I look attheir school and stuff."

Jones remains very open with his recruitment, but he will take some time out to look at one program during an unofficial visit to one of his long-timefavorites. "I'm going to Georgetown when I take my sister to school - she goes to Howard," Jones said."I'll do that this month."

In the meantime, Jones will be finishing out play with his Team USA 2 squad at the Nike Global Challenge as they will compete in the championship game againstTeam USA 1 on Sunday night at 8 p.m.

As always, stay tuned to OregonPreps.com for the latest on the top players in-state.

Anyone have Insider?...
Insider

CarolinaBlue.com provides a rundown of some prospects that are high on the UNC radar as well as some guys that you might not have heard of,who could also be very appealing as well.

[table][tr][td]
ROSCOESMITH5_7100.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Smith[/td] [/tr][/table]1- Roscoe Smith (6-7,179 pounds)Walbrook High-Baltimore, MD -- This athletic perimeter oriented forward has a very slender, but live body and long arms. He has a bevy of isolationmoves, a smooth jumper and he can rise like helium. The Baltimore prospect has over a dozen offers, but UNC, Maryland and Florida could be appealing options tohim at this point. Either way, every elite high major in the country is recruiting him, including Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA, UConn, Duke, Memphis, Louisville,Georgetown, Texas and about ten more. Smith and his father have shown no sense of urgency at this point, so we don't expect to see any developments herefor atleast another six months, perhaps longer.

[table][tr][td]
BARNESHARRISON_100.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Barnes[/td] [/tr][/table]2- Harrison Barnes(6-6, 200 pounds) Ames Senior-Ames, IA --Barnes is pure production. He's already got a chiseled 200 pound physique that is college ready. He shoots itwell, is a very good athlete and does a lot of work near the rim as well. We love his work ethic, consistent energy and reliable jumper. In terms of how goodhe is right now, he might be the best player on this list. He's playing his cards close, and like Smith, has a bevy of offers. Interested parties includethe likes of Iowa State, Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, Duke, DePaul, Florida, Texas, Maryland, UNC, Kentucky, Kansas, Tennessee, Maryland and anyone else with somelevel of common sense.

[table][tr][td]
TRAVISMCKIE4_14100.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]McKie[/td] [/tr][/table]3 -Travis McKie (6-7,190 pounds) John Marshall - Richmond, Va -- This energetic scrapper might not be the prototype wing forward that Smith is, but he's a winner who just findsa way to get it done. Inside the lane, he fights for offensive rebounds and loose balls. He hits three balls in the halfcourt set, moves phenomenally wellwithout the ball and finishes plays in transition. And here's a kid who's just tremendously responsible with the ball. He doesn't hide the factthat a UNC offer would be tough to turn down as they are his dream school. Virginia, Va Tech, Boston College, Clemson and a host of other ACC, Big East and SECschools are fighting hard to lure this long-armed rising junior out of Richmond.

[table][tr][td]
ANTHONYBROWN6_2100.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Brown[/td] [/tr][/table]4- Anthony Brown(6-6, 170 pounds) Oceanview High - Huntington Beach, Ca -- This is a long wing with range that can simply shoot the basketball. And he's one of the bestkept secrets out west. Every single PAC 10 school is recruiting him and hoping to get his signature before all of the eastern and mid-west powers begin tosniff around too much -- infact those are direct words from an assistant coach at a well-known PAC 10 program. Sorry dude, your secret is out. Billy Donovan atFlorida is already in the loop though and very intrigued, as is Texas and Indiana. Knowing what UNC is looking for -- don't be shocked to hear this namesoon -- very soon.

[table][tr][td]
JASONMORRIS12_15100.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Morris[/td] [/tr][/table]5- Jason Morris (6-5,190) Hotchkiss School - Lakeville, CT -- This high rising and high scoring New England area wing has above the rim athleticism and a silky smooth mid-rangepull-up jumper that might remind some of Joseph Forte. UNC hasn't shown much interest in Morris at this point, but this is another one to watch because ofhis athleticism and capacity to score from the perimeter, mid-range and in transition. He's got colleges all over him like gnats on a hot and humidevening, including Boston College, Arizona, Clemson, Duke, Syracuse, Florida, Georgia Tech, Texas, Virginia, Villanova and others.

[table][tr][td]
TERRANCEJONES4_22100.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jones[/td] [/tr][/table]6- Terrence Jones(6-6, 200) Jefferson High - Portland, OR -- Another west coast forward who has gotten some initial interest from the staff at UNC. Lately, his bread and butterhas been done in the paint, but he's got the perimeter skills as well. UCLA, ofcourse is on him, as are all of the area schools; Oregon, Oregon State,Washington, Washington State, USC, Arizona, Arizona State and California. National programs such as Georgetown, Kansas, UNC and Kentucky have also shown thatthey're intrigued.

Tombs wins the Kenner League..consisting of Chris Wright, Jason Clark, Henry Sims and Nikita.

Beat Roger Mason Jr and Lonny Baxters' team.

Sims had 26..

But it's Clark who keeps getting rave reviews. "Quickest player since Iverson"

eek.gif

Did I see a POST move???

Reel him in Coaches.

Plus, he's a blue devil already....Might as well just continue that....
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by dreClark

eek.gif

Did I see a POST move???

Reel him in Coaches.

Plus, he's a blue devil already....Might as well just continue that....
pimp.gif

Even though it mighta been a travel...1:30-1:34 in that clip was VERY impressive.

I hope he is there as long as he can be...

UMD has good facilities and history...might as well keep Gary around who can't recruit..

Cause somebody else could do a whole hell of a lot better right now.

I mean how far does loyalty go with a coach. Williams is really testing it with Maryland because he has not had a significant recruit in god knows how long. Hef up the Gilchrist situation as well.

DC/Mary/Virginia area is one of the deepest in the country and he can't get anybody to come to the school. The only player on his squad worth anything isthe most hated person on NT, Grevis. I think he has two years more if he doesn't change it around and then he is done.

Sean Mosley can play but you're right...their talent level is awful.

If he didn't win a title...I think this would be his make or break year.

But he did...so I think he has this season to retool things and next year there better be improvement or else.

They could easily go down to Orlando and start 0-2...maybe then some heat will be on him?

[h1]Nike Global Games: semifinals[/h1]
Jerry Meyer
Rivals.com Basketball Recruiting Analyst

Talk about it in Basketball Recruiting Board
BEAVERTON, ORE.- A championship game between two USA teams is set for Sunday in the Nike Global Challenge, and John Wall commented on his highly scrutinizedrecruitment.

[table][tr][td]
JOHNWALL7_28200.JPG
[/td] [td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]
spacer1.gif
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]No decision from Wall yet.[/td] [/tr][/table]Breaking down the Wall

Rivals.com's No. 1 ranked prospect JohnWall acknowledged that Baylor's hiring of his travel team coach Dwon Clifton "gives Baylor an edge because CoachClifton has helped me a lot," but that it is by no means a done deal for the Bears.

Wall plans to at least begin the process of taking official visits before making a decision on where he will attend college.

"I don't have a time table for making a decision," Wall said. "I'm going to take my official visits, and if I find the right fit on avisit, then I'll commit."

As to what schools he would like to visit, Wall listed Memphis, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Kansas and Kentucky.

He also mentioned another school.

"Jordan Hamilton is probably going to Texas, and he wants me to put them back in the mix," he said.

Other recruiting

Daniel Orton is down to six schools-Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Kansas, Ohio State and Kentucky, which is his favorite.

"I'm really interested in Kentucky and their program," said Orton. "I've known the coaches for a long time. Coach Gillispie recruited mybrother, and (Assistant) Coach Cyprien coached him at Oklahoma State."

Sensational rising sophomore Mike Gilchrist has Memphis at the topof his school list along with Oregon, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Baylor and New Mexico (all have offered).

"Memphis' style of play fits my game," said Gilchrist.

Hamilton is another big time wing for Rick Barnes.

Gilchrist = Memphis. No question.

I definitely would expect Orton to UK as well.

I think Gilchrist is a lock for Memphis already
even though he's only going into his soph season?

him and strickland are gonna be major this year.

pimp.gif
good stuff allen. i knew that Wall to Baylor stuff wasn'tofficial.

Orton + Ferguson = big problems.
eek.gif

this is from a few days ago:

Today the UK basketball team held their second Elite Camp, otherwise known as the "Daniel Orton Invitational." Orton was in attendance, with his father, and actually celebrated his birthday in Lexington. He however did not play at the camp, which I actually think is a good sign as it showcases a guy who is willing to come to town, even when he will not take the court.
it's weird that article doesn't mention UCONN for Orton, he went to one of their camps last week.

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

Yeah...unless Cal took another job, he's signed and sealed already..
Orton + Ferguson = big problems.
eek.gif

Yes.

Yo u cant start NO Siena bandwagon....my aunt is their biggest booster lol....

I wanted to go there for years, but they are gunna have a GREAT team this yr....was just up there runnin a minute ago...

Predicting elite 8

Originally Posted by allen3xis

Originally Posted by JamesOnNT

Yeah...unless Cal took another job, he's signed and sealed already.
damn. think so? drop some knowledge on me.

Originally Posted by Ecook0808

Yo u cant start NO Siena bandwagon....my aunt is their biggest booster lol....

I wanted to go there for years, but they are gunna have a GREAT team this yr....was just up there runnin a minute ago...

Predicting elite 8
I BEEN started that last October
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

Sweet 16, definitely.

Kenny and Eddie
pimp.gif

damn. think so? drop some knowledge on me.
I have no first hand knowledge...but it's the same Cal connections as always.

Even if Maryland makes the tourney it is time for Gary to go. There is no reason why Maryland should not be amongst the elite teams in College hoops with theinsane talent they have in that area.

hahaha everyone in the albany area has REAL high hopes this year...they have always had solid coaches, and they pick up solid team players...

haha played with kenny and eddie like 2 weeks ago....boys can play

worldwide is another story for another day lol

Back
Top Bottom