College Basketball "off-season" Thread (players leaving/coaching changes/recruiting)

Originally Posted by tmay407

I thought dre said dude played in the ACC...?

I did.

I meant A-10. Hence the reason I edited my post. again.

1st I +@+@ up and put Terrance Williams instead of Earl Clark...Then I put the wrong conference.
indifferent.gif

Wait,

Dre...lower the sarcasm..

Was it really Lowe?
laugh.gif
nerd.gif

Yeah.

Hopped on the bandwagon last year. I just kept it under wraps, as I made my campaign for 'Rese.
laugh.gif

Monday, August 11, 2008
ACC ShootAround: Duke, Miami to try to threaten a loaded UNC squad

ESPN.com
[h3]Miami who?[/h3]
By Heather Dinich
ESPN.com

Go ahead, try picking Miami guard Jack McClinton out of a lineup.

Don't worry, most ACC coaches couldn't identify the league's top free throw and perimeter shooter, either -- at least not when it was time torecruit him.

They sure know who he is now.

McClinton, who didn't get a look as a senior at Calvert Hall in Baltimore and wound up transferring from Siena to Miami, is a microcosm of the Miamibasketball team -- overshadowed, out of place and brimming with potential.

"I think I've gotten my name out there," he said, "but it's not about me, it's about my team and this program winninggames."

A lack of tradition and location outside the storied but beaten path of Tobacco Road has been used against Miami coach Frank Haith in recruiting since hewas hired in April 2004, but he and his staff have still lured less-heralded but equally competitive players to Coral Gables, Fla. (See redshirt freshmanJulian Gamble, who came straight from Durham, N.C.). While much of the attention this summer was on North Carolina and its talented trio that decided to forgothe NBA draft, Miami was relieved to have McClinton return for his senior season, too, further boosting its hopes to build on last season's NCAA tournamentsuccess.

Haith led the Hurricanes to 23 wins last season, his winningest season in four years. They beat Duke along the way and won their first NCAA tournament gameunder Haith before falling to Texas 75-72 in the second round. It was a remarkable accomplishment, considering Haith inherited a program that had back-to-backlosing seasons in the Big East, and his first season was also Miami's inauguration into the ACC.

"This was definitely a tall task," said Haith. "We took over a program that didn't make the Big East tournament and we're joining thebest basketball league in America. Everything was new and fresh. I have to give credit to our players and coaches that have worked extremely hard, andwe've recruited well. We've gotten good players. They may not be the marquee names or the guys everyone is talking about, but we do a good job ofevaluating.

"We put ourselves in the position to be in the upper half. I said this last year -- this team was good enough to be in the upper half of the league.Having grown up in North Carolina and coached in the ACC before, I really believe that, and that's the statement I will say about his year's team: Ithink this team is good enough to be in the top half of the league."

The Hurricanes have four starters returning, including McClinton, their leading scorer (17.7 ppg), and senior point guard Lance Hurdle. Miami returns 83 percent of its scoring (including its top five scorers), and63 percent of its rebounding.

"He's really built this team into what it is today," Hurdle said of Haith.

Haith's success -- which also includes graduating all 10 of his seniors since he's been there -- put him in the mix for recent openings at LSU andStanford. In a Carolina-dominated league, though, the Hurricanes are still flying under the radar, and they prefer to keep it that way.

"That's how we're going to think in order to stay humble and get where we need to be," Hurdle said. "That's how we started off sowell last year. We had a chip on our shoulder and we have to play that same way this year."

Heather Dinich covers college sports for ESPN.com. Send your questions and comments to Heather at [email protected].
[h3]Five Things To Watch in '08-09[/h3]
By Heather Dinich
ESPN.com

Maryland's partnership with the NIT
Get used to it. With an unfavorable schedule that includes playing Miami, Duke and North Carolina two times each, the chances are good the Terps will be backat the NIT for the fourth time in five seasons.

Duke's status quo
The Blue Devils might be better, but the end result should be about the same. Duke will still have the same problem it faced a year ago -- no legitimate postpresence. They've got four starters back and not one of them averaged more than 6.0 rebounds per game.

Georgia Tech feels sting of one-and-dones
After Ra'Sean Dickey decided to forgo his senior season to play overseas, coach Paul Hewitt was left with just four scholarship players in the frontcourt.In the past two seasons, Hewitt has had 10 players graduate, transfer or leave early for the NBA while only four scholarship players have been added to theroster during that time.

Wake Forest studs
Al-Farouq Aminu, Ty Walker and Tony Woods -- the players recruited by the late Skip Prosser -- kept theirloyalty to the program. Because of that, the Demon Deacons have a legitimate chance at an NCAA tournament berth.

Virginia Tech's maturation
The Hokies will be better now that guards Malcolm Delaney and Hank Thorns are no longer freshmen, although both had more than 100 assists apiece. In everysignificant moment the Hokies had last season, there was a freshman at point guard. That experience is bound to pay off.
[h3]If I Were Commish …[/h3]
By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

Find one home for the ACC tournament. Follow the model set by the Big East by having one home, and in the case of the Big East, it has been Madison SquareGarden in New York since 1983. The ACC has moved its tournament around quite a bit lately. Decide on one site, whether that's in Charlotte, Greensboro orWashington, D.C.

Also, the ACC should promote the league more beyond Duke and North Carolina. The Big East embraced expansion. The ACC didn't push the addition of BostonCollege, Miami and Virginia Tech as much as the Big East has done with Louisville, Marquette, Cincinnati, DePaul and South Florida. The ACC office needs to goon the offensive as much as possible.
[h3]2007-08 ACC Standings[/h3][table][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [td]Overall record[/td] [td]ACC record[/td] [/tr][tr][td]North Carolina*[/td] [td]36-3[/td] [td]14-2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Duke*[/td] [td]28-6[/td] [td]13-3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Clemson*[/td] [td]24-10[/td] [td]10-6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Virginia Tech^[/td] [td]21-14[/td] [td]9-7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Miami (Fla.)*[/td] [td]23-11[/td] [td]8-8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Maryland^[/td] [td]19-15[/td] [td]8-8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Georgia Tech[/td] [td]15-17[/td] [td]7-9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Wake Forest[/td] [td]17-13[/td] [td]7-9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Florida State^[/td] [td]19-14[/td] [td]7-9[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Virginia[/td] [td]15-15[/td] [td]5-11[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Boston College[/td] [td]14-17[/td] [td]4-12[/td] [/tr][tr][td]NC State[/td] [td]15-16[/td] [td]4-12[/td] [/tr][/table]*NCAA tournament
^NIT berth
For all the ACC news and notes, check out the conference page.
[h3]Top Returning Scorers[/h3][table][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Player[/td] [td]PPG[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tyler Hansbrough, UNC, Sr.[/td] [td]22.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tyrese Rice, Boston College, Sr.[/td] [td]21.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jack McClinton, Miami, Sr.[/td] [td]17.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Greivis Vasquez, Maryland, Jr.[/td] [td]17.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]A.D. Vassallo, Virginia Tech, Sr.[/td] [td]16.9[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]Top Returning Rebounders[/h3][table][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Player[/td] [td]RPG[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tyler Hansbrough, UNC, Sr.[/td] [td]10.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]James Johnson, Wake Forest, Soph.[/td] [td]8.1[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Jeff Allen, Virginia Tech, Soph.[/td] [td]7.6[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Trevor Booker, Clemson, Jr.[/td] [td]7.3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Uche Echefu, Florida State, Sr.[/td] [td]7.3[/td] [/tr][/table][h3]Top Returning Assist Leaders[/h3][table][tr][td][/td] [/tr][tr][td]Player[/td] [td]APG[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Greivis Vasquez, Maryland, Jr.[/td] [td]6.8[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Ty Lawson, UNC, Jr.[/td] [td]5.2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Tyrese Rice, Boston College, Sr.[/td] [td]5.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Ishmael Smith, Wake Forest, Jr.[/td] [td]4.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Eric Hayes, Maryland, Jr.[/td] [td]4.5[/td] [/tr][/table]
[h4]2008-09 Team Capsules[/h4]
Boston College
Coach Al Skinner has three starters returning but lost leading rebounder Shamari Spears, who along with Daye Kaba decided to transfer in April. Spears is headed to Charlotte; Kaba is going to Marist. The Eagles still have senior guard Tyrese Rice, who was second in the ACC in scoring with 21 points per game and fourth with 4.97 assists per game. Former Vermont forward Joe Trapani (11.4 ppg, 4.4 rpg in 2006-07) is now eligible to play after sitting out last season per NCAA transfer rules.

Clemson
Coach Oliver Purnell will miss the defense and leadership of last year's seniors Cliff Hammonds, James Mays and Sam Perry, as they tied the school record for victories in a four-year span with 84. Still, the Tigers will be helped by leading scorer K.C. Rivers's (14.7 points per game) return for his senior season instead of entering the NBA draft. Starting point guard Demontez Stitt and starting center Trevor Booker also return. The question is whether Purnell will press as much without the three seniors in the lineup.

Duke
DeMarcus Nelson is the only starter gone from last season's 28-win campaign, so the potential is there for the Blue Devils to be even better. Sophomore Kyle Singler, the 2008 ACC Rookie of the Year, is also the team's leading returning rebounder at 5.8 per game. The Blue Devils still need a dominant post presence, but might find one in this year's freshman class. Olek Czyz is listed at 6-foot-8, 235 pounds and averaged 20 points and 10 rebounds per game in high school in Reno, Nev., while Miles Plumlee is a 6-10, 210-pound forward who averaged 15.8 points and 6.9 rebounds at the Christ School in North Carolina.

Florida State
Coach Leonard Hamilton continues to be lauded for NIT appearances because it's been more than a decade since the program has had three straight 19-win seasons, but with the talent on the roster, the Seminoles should be capable of even more, and this season is no exception. Senior guard Toney Douglas, the ACC's career leader in steals with 90 (conference games only) and a 2.65 steals per game average, will lead a team mixed with veterans and six freshmen. Freshmen forwards Chris Singleton, a McDonald's All-American, and Xavier Gibson will give the 'Noles an athletic presence inside.

Georgia Tech
Even with Ra'Sean Dickey's decision to play overseas, the Yellow Jackets still have four solid post players in starters Gani Lawal and Zack Peacock and subs Alade Aminu and Brad Sheehan . The problem is a lack of depth if they have injuries or foul trouble. Georgia Tech wasn't a good rebounding team last season even with Jeremis Smith (7.1 rpg), and now he's gone. On the perimeter, Maurice Miller and 'Andre Bell are back along with Lewis Clinch. Miller made strides running the team last season, and Bell improved defensively as the season progressed. Clinch needs to get back to his early sophomore form with which he scored from anywhere on the court. Iman Shumpert, the lone freshman, was a McDonald's All-American and will play both point and 2-guard. The coaches like his IQ and shooting ability.

Maryland
After center Gus Gilchrist, who was expected to have a major impact this season, decided to transfer along with Shane Walker, and recruit Tyree Evans was also released from his scholarship, the program finally got some good news when talented shooting guard Sean Mosley's eligibility was approved by the NCAA clearinghouse. It would also help if Jin Soo Kim, a 6-7, 180-pound forward, is reclassified for eligibility this season instead of waiting until next. The Terps have only 10 scholarship players right now.

Miami
The Hurricanes have four starters back from a 23-11 team that advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament last season. Jack McClinton (17.7 ppg) is one of the best shooters in the league. As Lance Hurdle progressed last season, the team started to turn the corner and coach Frank Haith moved McClinton off the ball. With more scoring options this season, teams won't key in on McClinton as much. The biggest difference this season, though, might be that Miami is no longer taking teams by surprise.

North Carolina
In a word, loaded. Danny Green, Ty Lawson and Wayne Ellington flirted with the NBA draft but chose to return with national Player of the Year Tyler Hansbrough for another shot at the national title. The Tar Heels return all five starters from the 2008 Final Four team that won a school-record 36 games and the ACC title. Not only are the top six scorers back, but Roy Williams also added three McDonald's All-Americans to his roster.

NC State
Last season was a disaster. The Wolfpack finished with a 15-16 record that included a season-ending nine-game losing streak and the loss of starting point guard Farnold Degand to a season-ending knee injury in late December. In order to improve, coach Sidney Lowe needs to figure out how to replace leading scorer and rebounder J.J. Hickson, who decided to enter the NBA, and second-leading scorer Gavin Grant. Lowe has been busy this summer luring some top recruits to Raleigh.

Virginia
The Cavaliers will sorely miss leading scorer Sean Singletary, who was taken in the second round of the NBA draft by the Sacramento Kings. But Virginia has reason to be excited about the progress of sophomore Jeff Jones, who started 25 games last season. Forward/center Laurynas Mikalauskas had surgery to stabilize his left shoulder in early April and was given five months before being allowed to play at full contact again. Mamadi Diane and Adrian Joseph, the team's leading returning rebounder, will have to take on increased roles if Virginia is going to make it to the NIT, let alone the NCAA tournament.

Virginia Tech
There is much less uncertainty here than there was a year ago. The Hokies were dependent upon two freshmen point guards last season, and both Hank Thorns and Malcolm Delaney had more than 100 assists apiece as a result, with Thorns setting the school record for assists in a season (135 assists in 35 games). Four-year starter Deron Washington was the only senior who played a significant amount last season, and J.T. Thompson and Terrell Bell will see a lot of his minutes this season.

Wake Forest
With all five starters returning and the addition of the No. 6 recruiting class in the country, the Demon Deacons have the size and experience they lacked last season to be a legitimate contender in the ACC. The addition of incoming freshmen Al-Farouq Aminu, Tony Woods and Ty Walker will give the team a presence in the frontcourt it desperately needs.

[h4]ACC's best[/h4]By Jay Bilas
ESPN Jay Bilas counts down the best teams in the ACC for the upcoming season: 1. North Carolina: Roy Williams' best recruiting class was the one that just stayed another year. And, the North Carolina record book will belong to Tyler Hansbrough.

2. Duke:
The young Blue Devils will be older and much better. This team will be in a better position to finish strong.

3. Wake Forest:
Youth gets punished in the ACC, but Wake Forest has some experience now to join the incoming great talent.

4. Miami:
Jack McClinton is one of the best guards in college basketball, and the Hurricanes have learned how to win. Now is the time to take the next step.

5. Clemson:
The Tigers earned their way into the ACC title game last season, and with K.C. Rivers, Trevor Booker and Terrence Oglesby, Clemson should be NCAA-good again.

6. Virginia Tech:
The Hokies were a big surprise last season, and behind Jeff Allen, no one should be surprised that Virginia Tech will be competitive again this season.

7. Boston College:
The Eagles have an unheralded roster of underappreciated talents, but Al Skinner's crew plays hard and together and never gives up. Tyrese Rice gives BC a chance in any game.

8. Maryland:
The Terps have really good guards. If the big guys step forward, Maryland will be more than the eighth-best team.

9. Georgia Tech:
Paul Hewitt's crew has struggled lately to reach the upper division of the ACC, but this young team will be more talented and more together in 2008-09.

10. NC State:
The Wolfpack are going back to the future, with J.J. Hickson out and some of the old chemistry in. Better guard play is a must for the Pack.

11. Florida State:
It is time for the Seminoles to break through. The NCAA tournament is not the measure. Consistency is.

12. Virginia:
Without Sean Singletary, Virginia's only returning double-figure scorer is Mamadi Diane, who had foot surgery in June. The Cavaliers will have a steep learning curve.

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

What is the Preseason 1st team all ACC looking like?

Hansbourough
Ellington
Rice
Lawson
McClinton

Those are all guards really so it is clearly off but who do you think will make it up?

Vasquez(
sick.gif
),Rice, McClinton, James Johnson, Hansbrough (
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
).

Tempted to throw Henderson/Singler in there instead of Johnson.....But, I dunno.

Can't forget about K.C Rivers either.

Saturday morning marked the first day that James Harden, rocking a mo-hawk, participated in games and scouts rushed to the far end of the gym to see him as soon as his game got started. There's no question he's the top player in camp, Harden has a presence about him, a certain confidence that great players have. He looks every bit a potential top 5 pick based on his play so far.

Harden didn't force things letting the game come to him. He squared off with Terrence Williams getting by him for some nice drive and dishes. Harden scored baskets in the flow of the offense. He had roughly 6 points in each of the games showing excellent lift on his jumper.

His shot looked good in the practice session and although he didn't light the scoreboard on fire, his team won against T-Wills in a brief overtime 37-32. Harden's passing and ability to make teammates better from the 2g position is what really makes him so valuable.

Similar to a Manu Ginobili, Harden does whatever it takes to win, making those around him better. Maybe most impressive about his play today was the way he went down with what appeared to be a potential serious knee injury but was able to shake it off and continue.

That ability to not get injured on a play that had serious injury written all over it is a tribute to his tremendous athletic ability. While he may not look like a specimen, he's one of those deceptive types of athletes who is much more athletic than his body makes him appear.
adidas nation camp report

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Vasquez(
sick.gif
),Rice, McClinton, James Johnson, Hansbrough (
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
).

Tempted to throw Henderson/Singler in there instead of Johnson.....But, I dunno.

Can't forget about K.C Rivers either.

Hansbrough, McClinton, and Rice are locks. I think Singler gets the nod simply because they need a Duke presence and he's the next bestforward in the league. Vasquez fills out the rest of the team even I hate this dude with a passion.

Here's my predictions for the other BCS conferences:

Big East
Thabeet
Harangody
Williams
McNeal
Reynolds/Flynn (Woulda been AJ if not for his injury)

Big 10
Morgan
Hummel
Harris
-The league is that bad I can't think of anybody else who deserves a spot here except for Moore. Maybe Suton as well?
laugh.gif

SEC
Calathes
Patterson
Smith
Ogilvy
Downey

Big 12
Anderson
Jerrells
James
Abrams (Maybe slide Collins into this spot if we're going on potential)
Griffin

Pac-10
Harden
Budinger
laugh.gif

Gibson
sick.gif

Collison
Pendergraph

Conference USA (not BCS but what the hell)
Evans
Vaden
Uzoh
Dozier
Wise

this is kinda interesting...

Secret agent man? Guess we'll know once Wall turns pro

Brian Clifton swears he'll never be John Wall's agent or profit from his expected stardom.

You can believe him if you want.

But if I told you the No. 1 high school prospect in America (Wall) was being coached on the summer circuit and advised in the recruiting process by a man (Clifton) who was a licensed sports agent as recently as four months ago, what would you think? Would you believe it's all pure? Or would you be cynical, given how we live in a world where agents and the runners who work for them just tarnished the college career of O.J. Mayo and always seem to be only a whistle-blower away from doing the same to the majority of elite basketball prospects produced in any given year?

Me?

I'm cynical.

So that's why I couldn't help but be leery when I confirmed through FIBA that Clifton -- the man who runs the North Carolina-based D-One Sports program that finished second in the Reebok Summer Championships in Las Vegas last month -- spent roughly one year as a licensed sports agent.

In case you didn't catch that, what I just wrote is that the AAU coach of Rivals.com's No. 1 prospect spent roughly one year as an agent and remained that way until mid-April, when he forfeited his license because, well, that depends on who you ask.

Sources told CBSSports.com that Clifton withdrew his license to get around the NCAA's newly implemented online coaches approval program that features the following question:

Are you a licensed sports agent, runner/recruiter or representative/agent/employee of a sports agency?

Answer "Yes" to that question and you are automatically ineligible to be on the sideline for a summer league/AAU team. There is no gray area. So the only way for Clifton to honestly answer "No" was to withdraw his license, and doing that allowed him to spend the entire summer coaching prospects -- just like he did in the summer of 2007, when he still was a licensed agent -- and nurturing a relationship with the best prep point guard in the country.

That's what multiple sources claimed.

But Clifton scoffed at those sources and their theory.

Yes, he acknowledged he was a licensed agent until mid-April.
But he insisted forfeiting his license had nothing to do with any NCAA rule.

"Absolutely, I was a licensed agent," Clifton said. "But what I started and what I had given my life to was this (D-One Sports) program, and I was about to watch it fall apart. Obviously, I couldn't let that happen. So at that time -- after having not signed any clients -- I figured that (the D-One Sports) program was the most important thing for me. ... And that was the end of the agent thing."

Perhaps.

But the controversy was just beginning.

Though the story of Wall is a nice one -- he was cut from his high school team as a sophomore; now he's a projected NBA lottery pick -- the reality is that his recruitment has caused eyes to roll. Things are basically being run by a pair of brothers -- D-One Sports patriarchs Brian and Dwon Clifton -- and sources told CBSSports.com that some college coaches have been discouraged from contacting Wall or his mother directly.

The orders: Work through the Cliftons and only the Cliftons.

Meantime, Baylor hired Dwon Clifton last week to be its director of player development and instantly became the presumed leader to land Wall. That's wild, considering it was just five years ago that the Bears were a program decimated by scandal because of the murder of Patrick Dennehy.

It's important to note Baylor coach Scott Drew merely pulled a recruiting tactic -- i.e., hiring somebody with influence over a prospect -- many have used before him, namely Kansas (hired Mario Chalmers' father), Arizona State (hired James Harden's high school coach), Kansas State (hired Michael Beasley's AAU coach), Memphis (hired Dajuan Wagner's father) and countless more.

Reached by phone, Drew declined to comment on Brian Clifton specifically.

But he stood by his hiring of Dwon.

"We hired Dwon and his résumé speaks for itself," Drew said. "He's a former college player, a college graduate and a former professional player who we believe will help our program go to the next level, and there were many other schools from the ACC, SEC and Big 12 that wanted to hire him exactly like we did. We hired Dwon because he's qualified and we are thankful to have him at Baylor."

Where this story turns next is anybody's guess.

Will Wall really follow Dwon Clifton and commit to Baylor?

Will Brian Clifton reapply for his agent's license when Wall turns pro?

Will the NCAA allow a former agent to continue to run a prominent AAU program?

Will any agent who wants to sign Wall be forced to pay Clifton a significant finder's fee?

Clifton's on-the-record answers are 1) Maybe, 2) No, 3) Hopefully and 4) Absolutely not. But others in the industry are skeptical, particularly of the last question because this is an era where the people with the most influence over prospects are almost always the ones who broker deals with agents. In other words, a man doesn't have to technically represent a prospect to get "points" on his contract, and if I had $10 for every point an AAU coach has received on a player's contract I'd be wealthier than your basic high-level AAU coach.

Furthermore, sources told CBSSports.com that Brian Clifton has helped Bill Duffy Associates sign players in the past. Yes, that's the same Bill Duffy Associates in the middle of the Mayo scandal. Small world, huh? But Clifton categorically denied the assertion and insisted he has never worked for or been a "runner" for BDA, though he did acknowledge assisting former N.C. State player Cameron Bennerman throughout the agent-selecting process.

Bennerman signed with BDA.

Clifton said he did not receive a penny.

And, like I said earlier, you can believe him if you want.

But me?

Well, I've always been cynical.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10924214/1

Jordan Hamilton is probably going to Texas (according to John Wall)

BEAVERTON, Ore. -- John Wall finally announced a college decision Saturday afternoon.

No, it wasn't his decision, silly.

It was Jordan Hamilton's.

"I think he's going to Texas," Wall said. "I think that's where he's going."

"I think I'll visit Memphis, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Kansas and Kentucky," he said. "And I was talking to Jordan Hamilton and he asked me if I'd put (Texas) back into the mix. So I think I'm gonna give them a look, too. ... But I don't have a timetable (on a decision). ... It could be right before basketball season or during basketball season. It could be anytime."

Steve (Blacksburg, VA): Dana: Can the Hokies break into the top25 this year as they did two years ago?

sn2.gif
Dana O'Neil: (1:59 PM ET ) Steve: Idefinitely think the Hokies can break into the top 25. Much stronger backcourt, more experience

Rob, Charlottesville: Which do you think will be the top five backcourts in the country this year? If Devendorf and Rautins both make fullrecoveries from their ACL injuries, will they be up there?

sn2.gif
Dana O'Neil: (2:00 PM ET ) Rob: To me,it's going to be hard to find better guards than the trio at Marquette. I loved Jerel McNeal by the end of last season. Agree that if Rautins and Devendorfare healthy they will be formidable.

nagle, big apple: do you think Penn State can fianlly put it together this year and contend for the Big 10 title?

sn2.gif
Dana O'Neil: (2:01 PM ET ) Nagle: Um,no. Michigan State, Wisconsin are still in the league, right? Penn State has a big mountain to climb. As an alum, liked their gumption last year after losingClaxton but they need more talent before they contend. Silver lining - they ought to be better than Indiana

Dan (Aberdeen, MD): Hey Dana, what is the deal with U-Maryland's men's basketball and how would you rank their incoming recruits? Idont think i've ever heard of a program failing to capitalize on a national championship like the terps have....

sn2.gif
Dana O'Neil: (2:03 PM ET ) Dan: Wroteabout the Terps a while back and from what I can gather it's a few things. Assistant coaching turnover, which is a good thing when they turn into headcoaches, is making recruiting harder. They are taking chances on kids - tyree evans being case A through Z - and when it blows up there's no fallback plan.Big big year for Maryland and more Gary Williams.

Dave, Indy: Would you be able to provide your insight or thoughts on Pitt's upcoming season? Thanks!

sn2.gif
Dana O'Neil: (2:04 PM ET ) Dave: OK,first the mea culpa. In my Big East shootaround when I talked about guys who can contend for player of the year, I forgot Sam Young. Big mistake. He is on thelist. I really like PItt. Love how hard they play, their defense, fearlessness to ugly it up and think Young is a hugely talented undeappreciated player. Mixin a healthy Fields and Blair and that's a top 5 team.

ray GORDON REID GAINESVILLE FLA 32611: QUESTION TO DANA O;NEIL AT 2.05 HI DANA HOW YOU SEE A10 THIS YEAR

sn2.gif
Dana O'Neil: (2:05 PM ET ) Ray: ThinkXavier is again in a class by itself. I do like Temple, though. Hearing great things about their incoming point guard, a kid from Argentina who is supposedlybetter than Pepe Sanchez.

Marsh (StL): What about Lawson and Ellington for best backcourt?

sn2.gif
Dana O'Neil: (2:06 PM ET ) Marsh: Thereare a ton of them, and without question, Lawson and Ellington are among them, yes.

Bill, NYC: Ive been hearing a lot about the old spice classic. Can Siena advance to the finals?

sn2.gif
Dana O'Neil: (2:08 PM ET ) bill: goodtourney all around. I think Siena has a chance to be this year's Davidson - a team that will turn a lot of heads. Making it to the Final with MichiganState, Geogetown, Gonzaga and Tennessee will be tough but they have a ton of talent. Would not be stunned

Jay (Philly): With Kemba Walker, Nate Miles, Ater Majok, Scottie Haralson and Chuck Okwandu joining an already loaded and experienced UConnteam (with Stanley Robinson back 2nd semester) how far can UConn go? I think they can win Calhoun a third championship.

sn2.gif
Dana O'Neil: (2:09 PM ET ) Jay: Nodoubt UConn is loaded. Curious to see how healthy AJ Price is. I don't think the value of his play can be overemphasized

Andy (Bloomington, IN): After self-reporting violations, Indiana lost scholarships, was given recruiting sanctions, essentially forfeited atop 10 team last season, and trashed the rest of the roster. USC, which committed much more serious violations, but hasn't admitted anything, has receivednothing, and likely will get no more than a slap on the wrist. Is the moral of the story, don't admit anything to the NCAA because if you don't theyprobably won't find out? That's the message they're sending.

sn2.gif
Dana O'Neil: (2:10 PM ET ) Andy No, notat all. Just because we haven't heard anything about USC doesn't mean they won't get in trouble. The NCAA likes to do is dirty work well out ofsight. That story is far from over.

Franco (Philly): Dana do you purposely not mention St. Joes's in there because you have a bias against them?

sn2.gif
Dana O'Neil: (2:10 PM ET ) Franco: Yes.
Ok seriously, no. They have a lot to replace, let's not forget.

Kramer (Anytown, USA): Is Nova the clear cut winner of the Big 5 this year? Can Dumph get Temple into the conversation? Will SJU be better orworse after losing Calathes?

sn2.gif
Dana O'Neil: (2:11 PM ET ) Kramer: Ithink Nova is the favorite but not in a walkover. I do like Temple.

Patrick, Memphis: Dana, where do you see Memphis this year. Do you think they can make a run at the elite 8????

sn2.gif
Dana O'Neil: (2:12 PM ET ) Patrick:Boy, I don't know. They have an awful lot to replace. Forget Derrick Rose. He's one in a million. But CDR and Dorsey??? That's a bunch

Jeremy (Memphis): Hi Dana. What does your Preseason Top 10 look like?

sn2.gif
Dana O'Neil: (2:16 PM ET ) Jeremy: Letme quantify this by saying I know I'm going to forget someone. 1. Carolina. 2. Texas 3 Pitt 4. Connecticut 5. Michigan State 6. USC 7. Purdue 8. Notre Dame 9. Duke 10. Miami

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Ok im not gonna hate. But can someone tell me about Romeo's game.

I saw some highlight video from a while back and it didnt look that spectacular. Ht? wt?

Seriously how did he get a D1 scholarship to USC?

edit: dre are you goin to the game tonight at central? I think someone told me it was the championship game? who playing?

I thought the final tourney was this past weekend????

I didn't even know there was a game tonight.....

Who playing in the finals????

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

^If you talkin 'bout Stackhouse's league, the championship game was last night. David Noel's team won it.

oh it was last night? damn

i missed it, i guess i wasnt really listenin when dude was talking.

Who was on "The Noels" ? I heard that was the team name? Flip was on there right?

Jordan Hamilton is the goods. best wing on the west coast. and i havent posted in here much lately yall !*$#+@ some god damn fools from the last fewpages
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom