Charles Darwin film 'too controversial for religious America.'

lobotomybeats

Supporter
But will line up to watchJesus get the %*!* kicked out him

The film was chosen to open the Toronto Film Festival and has its British premiere on Sunday. It has been sold in almost every territory around the world, from Australia to Scandinavia.

However, US distributors have resolutely passed on a film which will prove hugely divisive in a country where, according to a Gallup poll conducted in February, only 39 per cent of Americans believe in the theory of evolution.

Movieguide.org, an influential site which reviews films from a Christian perspective, described Darwin as the father of eugenics and denounced him as "a racist, a bigot and an 1800s naturalist whose legacy is mass murder". His "half-baked theory" directly influenced Adolf Hitler and led to "atrocities, crimes against humanity, cloning and genetic engineering", the site stated.

The film has sparked fierce debate on US Christian websites, with a typical comment dismissing evolution as "a silly theory with a serious lack of evidence to support it despite over a century of trying".

Jeremy Thomas, the Oscar-winning producer of Creation, said he was astonished that such attitudes exist 150 years after On The Origin of Species was published.

"That's what we're up against. In 2009. It's amazing," he said.

"The film has no distributor in America. It has got a deal everywhere else in the world but in the US, and it's because of what the film is about. People have been saying this is the best film they've seen all year, yet nobody in the US has picked it up.

"It is unbelievable to us that this is still a really hot potato in America. There's still a great belief that He made the world in six days. It's quite difficult for we in the UK to imagine religion in America. We live in a country which is no longer so religious. But in the US, outside of New York and LA, religion rules.

"Charles Darwin is, I suppose, the hero of the film. But we tried to make the film in a very even-handed way. Darwin wasn't saying 'kill all religion', he never said such a thing, but he is a totem for people."

Creation was developed by BBC Films and the UK Film Council, and stars Bettany's real-life wife Jennifer Connelly as Darwin's deeply religious wife, Emma. It is based on the book, Annie's Box, by Darwin's great-great-grandson, Randal Keynes, and portrays the naturalist as a family man tormented by the death in 1851 of Annie, his favourite child. She is played in the film by 10-year-old newcomer Martha West, the daughter of The Wire star Dominic West.

Early reviews have raved about the film. The Hollywood Reporter said: "It would be a great shame if those with religious convictions spurned the film out of hand as they will find it even-handed and wise."

Mr Thomas, whose previous films include The Last Emperor and Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence, said he hoped the reviews would help to secure a distributor. In the UK, special screenings have been set up for Christian groups.

What a disgrace. The Weinsteins better pick this up! There can't be a movie about evolution but the Ten Commandments and The Passion of Christ can runevery Easter. Bravo.

We live in a so called christian nation. They cant allow this, it's informative though. I'm christian and i want to see it, it wont change my idea ofevolution.

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I have a legitimate question.

Man supposedly evolved from an "ape like" ancestor according to Darwin, right? We still have all kinds of apes and primates on this planet, right?

Supposedly there were stages in the evolutionary process of man. (see evolution chart)

Why then do we still have apes, monkeys, etc but none of these supposed "ape like" creatures we evolved from still? Did they just stop reproducingonce the newer and better humans arrived?

What would cause a species as intelligent (more intelligent than other apes) as this "ape like" creature to just give up on its own survival?

Originally Posted by General Johnson

Man supposedly evolved from an "ape like" ancestor according to Darwin, right? We still have all kinds of apes and primates on this planet, right?

Supposedly there were stages in the evolutionary process of man. (see evolution chart)

Why then do we still have apes, monkeys, etc but none of these supposed "ape like" creatures we evolved from still? Did they just stop reproducing once the newer and better humans arrived?

What would cause a species as intelligent (more intelligent than other apes) as this "ape like" creature to just give up on its own survival?

We competed for resources. We won.

Originally Posted by Frankie Valentino

We competed for resources. We won.

What resources?

Water? Food? Oxygen? Sunlight?

We share all of those with the rest of nature. Why are they allowed to live?

Are there any cave drawings or recorded history that support this theory?

Why then do we still have apes, monkeys, etc but none of these supposed "ape like" creatures we evolved from still? Did they just stop reproducing once the newer and better humans arrived?

Different species of mammals. Just like any other species/animal you can think of, there are different variations. Ex. Cats, fish, snakes, birds.For every category there is an extinct species due to numerous circumstances, namely evolution and survival of the fittest. We're on the same ancestralline with apes, but they're not the same "apes" that we evolved from.

It's not like "hey we used to be monkeys" it is way more complex than that. I recommend you read either The Canon byNatalie Angier or NeitherGods Nor Beasts by Elof Axel Carlson. There are some really interesting chapters in those books regarding evolution and Darwinism.

Peep the documentary "LINK." They found a 47 million year old complete fossil that proves the existence of evolution in Germany, itseven got some soft tissue remains and stomach contents. It is the evolutionary "link" before the species split between higher monkeys and lemurs. Those that argue against evolution have used this argument to prove that evolution doesn't exist, because no one has ever been able to find a fossil aspecies that contains the characteristics of 2 different species before they broke off into a new species. Here is that fossil, argument over:

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/05/090519-missing-link-found.html

Originally Posted by ArsnalJ23

Different species of mammals. Just like any other species/animal you can think of, there are different variations. Ex. Cats, fish, snakes, birds. For every category there is an extinct species due to numerous circumstances, namely evolution and survival of the fittest. We're on the same ancestral line with apes, but they're not the same "apes" that we evolved from.
Notice I said "ape like" and not apes.

No need to give me a lesson. I'm just asking what happened to the missing link?
nerd.gif

If LINK is that crap that was hailed as the "GREATEST DISCOVERY" and ran on cable this summer, I saw it.

I'm not convinced.

EDIT: No need to break down evolution to me. I understand the theory. I'm just pointing out holes in the theory.

^^^ Believe me when I say I wasn't trying to give you a lesson. Just trying to explain it, my bad.

The "ape like" species didn't give up, it evolved. If you look up evolution charts, you'll notice they're never straight lines ofevolution, they look a lot more like family trees.

Might watch it online. I don't understand how you can't be Christian and still believe in evolution. I mean I believe in the Christian God but Ibelieve in evolution at the same time. I'm from a Catholic background and I went to a Catholic grammar school, a Jesuit High School, and now attend aJesuit University. I mean most scientists believe in a higher being that started the big bang, first movement, or w/e your theory of choice is. Hell, I knowJesuit priests who believe exactly what I believe.

But then again, I guess people just have a tendency to believe that their beliefs are the only absolute, so I'm not surprised at the same time. We are anextremely stubborn culture.

If LINK is that crap that was hailed as the "GREATEST DISCOVERY" and ran on cable this summer, I saw it.

I'm not convinced.

EDIT: No need to break down evolution to me. I understand the theory. I'm just pointing out holes in the theory.

Smh. You must not know what a theory is. And you haven't pointed out any holes in evolution. If you can't accept the FACT that evolution is REAL, youneed to just give up on life man

Definitely going to see this when it comes out. Its a very interesting subject. Cant see why it shouldn't be shown in the US. Guess its just all theChristian nut-jobs piping up and complaining about it.

I'm not convinced.

Well, if physical fossil evidence is staring you in the face, and you're still not convinced, then you're just too far gone.

This why I have no faith in this country anymore. It is overrun with a bunch of nuts who basically believe the earth is flat, and our president is nazi.

Brazil or Toronto?

Originally Posted by J Burner

I'm not convinced.

Well, if physical fossil evidence is staring you in the face, and you're still not convinced, then you're just too far gone.
my man sound so sure of himself aswel
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Nothin4ever

HUMANS CAME FROM THE SPACE BETWEEN SPACES
I don't wanna start on this path cus fools can't wrap their heads around the metaphor of the Garden of Eden.

People are looking for a place and missing the forest for the trees, literally. This planet is the Garden.

Back
Top Bottom