car notes bout to be da new housing bubble VOL. NTers paying BMWs off in 73 months

Drive a 13 year old E430.  Purchased used with 70k miles (off eBay) back in 2006 for $15k with a 60 month (credit union) loan.  Paid off in 48.  Still going, invested in a Benzworld and MBWorld membership, tools for DIY small jobs (oil change, spark plugs), and developed a relationship with local dealership service advisor for bigger jobs.  Now at 170k and still getting from a to b.  Last visit to dealership saw a dude getting out of a 2007 S550.  Dude checked my car and gave me the "deal with it" face - nevermind it was now 2012.  Was behind him in line to pay for service and heard him crying about a 1K brake service...on a car that was originally 100K LOL LOL!!!!  Cars depreicate but parts and service dont.  Hopefully my car keeps going (knock on wood) but in the meantime I'm saving up the money I would have been spending on car payments for future repairs and the rest is going to the new(er) car fund...with interest.  Now is an excellent time to take out a loan if you have good credit.  Just be smart and live below your means.  These longer term loans come with higher interest rates to cover the "banks risk" - banks dont care...they charge interest up front and very little of these initial payments is going to principle.  Banks love bubbles...its the American public who ultimately suffers.

With the help of my folks, I bought my Chevy Aveo straight cash. My next car will be bought straight cash as well

Slave to the lender. Mortgage, car note, student loans, you name it. Terrible system.

If you're going to do a long loan contract. You should at least have a plan to pay off sooner.

You should at least have a plan to pay off sooner.
my dude told me his school loan had penalties if he paid it off sooner
laugh.gif

sick.gif

Paid for my corolla in cash. Cars are a terrible investment in theory they all do the same thing...get you from point A to point B. Never understood why some one pays 100k for their car with leather interior and "would grain" and then drives 100mph on I-95....i figured you would drive in the slow lane so you could stay in your luxury car as long as you can and enjoy what you paid for.

Side bar: Girl i know bought a 2003 3-series for 9k it had 70k miles. She put like $500 down....she has refinanced the car 2 times already and still owes $7500...she has had the car for 1.5 years now....but her long time bf is a BMW mechanic....and she LOVES BMWs and its her baby and its on IG every day...so its ok.....idiots

yea word. in NYC for example, i can see absolutely no use for a supercar with low *** ground clearance. its a waste of money and you'll never hit top speed, not to mention driving a really low car with low profile tires is no bueno in NYC. i get the desire for a sports car tho but i feel there are more affordable options that as you say get you to point a to b.

like a wrx :pimp:

And when you have a nice car in a city something is bound to happen to it. Mirror knocked off, small dings and dents, its a pain to worry about.

I understand the need for speed...i own a motorcycle. When i want an adrenaline rush I hop on my bike. But again bought a used Suzuki Katana 600(flamesuit on first bike ok) for 2k cash...thing had 1.5k miles on it its a 2006. I will ride it until i save up for a nicer bike.

this. bought my wrx last august. hit and run in jan/feb. car was parked on the street and someone side swiped it and dipped, leaving no info or anything. driver side mirror, fender, side panel, and bumper need work and/or replacement along with paint.

No point in having a luxury whip in NYC unless you got a garage parking. If there's a city where people have ZERO respect for others property, it's NYC.

No point in having a luxury whip in NYC unless you got a garage parking. If there's a city where people have ZERO respect for others property, it's NYC.

philly too. if you got change, tissues, or a paperclip in your car, you are getting your windows punched in and car violated. seen it wayyy to many times.

philly too. if you got change, tissues, or a paperclip in your car, you are getting your windows punched in and car violated. seen it wayyy to many times.

I went to school at drexel....got my 1990 ford tempo driver side window knocked out 2 times in a month. Once for $3.13 cents in change ( i will never forget that number :lol:) the other time they stole my head unit and my damn floor mats. The car was so old that it had a lock for the car and a seperate one for the trunk. There was no truck pop button....you had to use the trunk key....so i would put everything in the trunk when i went anywhere. Dude tried to break into the trunk too, the key hole was all messed up and part of it was popped off. But never got in.

I remember calling safellite to get a new window, talked to the same guy both times he cut me a $10 discount the second time because he felt bad for me. he was like "the same window you had fixed 2 weeks ago?!?!"

Last edited:
The stories of my friend that used to work at Major World :smh:

Car salesmen are the grimest people on earth.

I went to school at drexel....got my 1990 ford tempo driver side window knocked out 2 times in a month. Once for $3.13 cents in change ( i will never forget that number :lol:) the other time they stole my head unit and my damn floor mats. The car was so old that it had a lock for the car and a seperate one for the trunk. There was no truck pop button....you had to use the trunk key....so i would put everything in the trunk when i went anywhere. Dude tried to break into the trunk too, the key hole was all messed up and part of it was popped off. But never got in.

I remember calling safellite to get a new window, talked to the same guy both times he cut me a $10 discount the second time because he felt bad for me. he was like "the same window you had fixed 2 weeks ago?!?!"

I went to Drexel too and had my beater busted into so many times. Super frustrating since I kept NOTHING in the car at all, wasn't even change to steal. *****in' Philly...

:lol: Fiends don't care.... they gotta fix that itch.

*I was up on Drexel's campus a few weeks back (ate at Sabrina's), not surprised at the break-ins :lol:

I always love reading NTers "logic" on cars

Say what you will, but people with cash own the real estate market in California now. It doesn't matter if you have an 800 credit score and 30% down, you're not getting a home under $400,000 in this area.

I'm glad to see a lot of people doing "better than they deserve" in this thread. Once there's a bubble, those will be the people who are in a position to take advantage of it.
Haha!

1. You targeted a niche market in the upper echelon of finances/wealth. I was referencing the average consumer...

2. My main point was in relation to automobiles as investments. Not homes...

3. These people/groups that purchase these homes have a thing called, capital. The average citizen sadly does not have multiple forms of liquid assets...

To build on #3, people of said wealth tend to already have high credit scores. Your point on being able to pay 30% with perfect credit yet still not beat out 'Mr. Cash' comes down to how fast a house/property/etc. can be sold & closed at. There are still opportunities to buy houses via fixed financing. Your local MLS can dictate that. (Again. You referenced a niche market.) Yes, money talks. However, there are limitations & educated decisions that also come into play...

5. Many 'heavy-hitters' don't put all their eggs in one basket. You want to pay for your car in-full in an average economy? Go ahead. You now just broke your piggy bank and have zero debt in terms of a car note with very little savings left. With that said, I wish you success on starting that saving process all over again. Money is made through expansion. Not through one singular entity. The goal is to accumulate wealth. Not relinquish it...

I had some ideas on dropping a new(er) car, but I realized, that my current vehicle still serves me well. I got about 111k miles on it, but it's still running fairly smoothly. I see too many people around me getting swamped in car payments. It's simply not worth it.

This isn't new.

I was an auto credit analyst for 5 years. I was a subprime lender. 72-84 months was the norm. People went shopping for a "payment" rather than a car.

The auto finance industry already collapsed. I saw 4 major companies on the east coast go out of business. I worked for 2 of them.

Its a totally F'd up system, but the customers are ultimately to blame. You don't NEED a new car. If you're shopping for a payment you shouldn't be shopping for a new car.

The worst deal I ever did to this day was flipping a guy driving an Excursion @ $1500 a month into a Taurus at $900 p/m.

$900 PER MONTH FOR A TAURUS.

Worst part, dude was happier than a pig in a puddle since I saved him $600 bucks a month.

I had to call him a few times just to make sure he really wanted to do it.

I always love reading NTers "logic" on cars & purchasing items in general. Most are still spending $200+ on shoes all while still living at home without a single asset to their name...

I both own & lease my cars. There's a difference in investing in something versus financing. Yes, you'll have a car to your name, but it's not a home. It's a form of transportation. (A mobile 'accessory' for some. A means of transportation for others.) Unless you plan on having that car for it's whole tenure and could careless about residual, purchasing one outright may be your best option as you, more or less, just need something to get you from Point A-to-Point B. However, that doesn't seem to be the case here. I, for one, enjoy placing myself in a new vehicle every 2-to-3 years as I have another car for daily-driving. You call it "borrowing", I call it not having one car for 10+ years. Not all cars become "Classics" or those sought after relics so you may want to rethink things through if you really wanted to make an "investment"...

Also, this 'Cash is King' mentality is ridiculous. This is the modern era, folks. Having good credit is actually 'King'. Not sure if you watch too many music videos, but I can see a lot of you living beyond your means with that simplistic frame of mind...

Cash, back then gold, will ALWAYS be king my friend. ALWAYS.

Cash, back then gold, will ALWAYS be king my friend. ALWAYS.
I think y'all are not really seeing his view...

Copping things cash is cool... but with credit scores, some entities like the interest accumulated on assets...

Depreciating assets lose their value regardless ... and like I said before... a dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow...

As a consumer, analyze the net present value of purchasing a car cash as opposed to a car note and you night be surprised.

Its all relative though. I throw asset purchase arguments right in there with credit, gun control, and religious arguments when it comes to NT...

Because everyone has a wrong opinion when they dont see it from you're perspective.

The worst deal I ever did to this day was flipping a guy driving an Excursion @ $1500 a month into a Taurus at $900 p/m.

$900 PER MONTH FOR A TAURUS.

Worst part, dude was happier than a pig in a puddle since I saved him $600 bucks a month.

I had to call him a few times just to make sure he really wanted to do it.

oh lawd *faints

Credit is def king if you don't have the cash. Even if u do, having payments looks good on your credit score. That's the thing that sucks the most. My wife and I needed a reliable car so we financed for 5yrs just to get the payments reasonable. We figured we'd get the payments low as a fallback but pay more on it, but then we live in Pittsburgh where getting a decent paying job is harder than catchin an STD.

Back
Top Bottom