Bulls offseason Thread

Good win tonight. Our front line is really ballin out right now. Kirk harassed Curry all night tonight :pimp:

@ESPNSteinLine: Luxury-tax issues complicate ANY signing Bulls consider but word is they've emerged as a dark-horse contender for Jimmer Fredette this week

There's no way we pay the tax, so Jimmer may need to wait and lose money not playing or sign elsewhere.

Good win against a quality GSW team last night. We locked em up and forced others besides Steph to initiate their offense. GSW did miss a bunch of open shots though.

I was silently rooting for the Splash Bros to go off for a bit..but not enough for the comeback victory.

how are the bulls at the tax with so many bums on this squad? i mean they play 7-8 guys MAX any given night. cant they cut someone from 9-12 on the roster

i think jimmer would be great ...def help make some noise in the playoffs

how are the bulls at the tax with so many bums on this squad? i mean they play 7-8 guys MAX any given night. cant they cut someone from 9-12 on the roster

i think jimmer would be great ...def help make some noise in the playoffs

Jo/Derrick/Taj's contract extensions kicking in are a big part of it.

Then of course Booze's existing contract.

Good read on Thibs playing time distribution, no matter what he say though he doing better this year.

Tom Thibodeau's demands of Bulls are more mental than physical

By K.C. Johnson, Chicago Tribune reporter
February 28, 2014

Here's one for the minutes mafia and playing-time police: As of Thursday morning, no Bull ranked in the NBA's top 10 in average minutes.

And after Jimmy Butler, who sat 11th at 36.6 minutes per game, no Bull was in the top 40, with Joakim Noah's 34.1 tied for 42nd.

Coach Tom Thibodeau enjoys his playing-time distribution getting analyzed about as much as his film projector breaking. And with Luol Deng in Cleveland, Mike Dunleavy played all but nine seconds of Tuesday's victory in Atlanta and Butler became the first player in 13 years to log 60 minutes when he went 60:20 in the Bulls' Jan. 15 triple-overtime victory in Orlando.

So while there are anomalies, the perception that Thibodeau overworks his team exists mostly from the outside. Is Thibodeau demanding? No doubt — perhaps, players say, more mentally than physically.

But between shortening shootarounds by 15 minutes to rarely practicing on days off, Thibodeau has paced this season's Bulls with the aptitude of someone who has logged two-plus decades in the NBA. Which he emphatically reminded everyone on his 56th birthday Jan. 17.

"I think I have a pretty good understanding after 24 years for how to pace a team," Thibodeau said that day in Washington.

His players agree.

"As far as freshness, the only strenuous activities we have are the games," said Nazr Mohammed, a sage veteran with 15 years of experience. "You always hear he makes the team work so hard. But on days we do practice, we're in the gym for an hour. He expects us to put a lot of our own personal work in and lift weights, but that's nothing unusual.

"When we go, we go hard. But we have an automatic off day after a back-to-back. I was on teams where we went two or three weeks without off days. He's aware of the rest that is needed."

Beyond playing time, which has lessened this season, Thibodeau's greatest demands are off the court. Former Bull Kyle Korver used to joke about reviewing in shootarounds the opponent's seventh out-of-bounds option that hadn't been used all season.

It's no joke.

"The stuff he puts up on the board before the games is like a math quiz," Taj Gibson said. "We go over so many plays, and he drills it in your head. He challenges you mentally.

"We were up 30 once and I took a play off and he was on top of me: 'Taj, come on, let's go. Don't let him get to the right hand.' I was daydreaming in the corner and there were all these bodies between me and him, and he still knew I was slipping. He yelled my name. And that got me going."

This style isn't for everyone. But the management team of John Paxson and Gar Forman has filled the locker room with serious-minded professionals not averse to work or strong coaching.

"Some guys wouldn't be able to handle the long periods of mental focus that he demands," Mohammed said. "If we go through a 30-minute walk-through, he wants you locked in and focused like it's the playoffs. That's a great thing because when the playoffs come, we don't have to turn it up. The focus and attention to detail, we do that all season."

Gibson said Thibodeau consistently stresses off-court rest, weightlifting and massages. And he demands accountability at all times.

"He'll snap on you quick," Gibson said, smiling. "He's like a teacher. He'll call you out in the middle of shootaround and ask you three basic moves the team might do off this play. I used to always mess up. Now I'm so locked in that I love when he calls on me."

really nice game. would like to see butler get some more rest though. we dont need him to keep getting nagging injuries..plus he had a stretch where he missed a bunch of free throws and layups due to tired legs

Bulls were somewhere around 670k under the lux tax. They then gave out a few 10 day contracts at 52 k.
They still have some bread to sign a min deal, but not enough wiggle room with the added incentives some contracts carry.

Most notable would be Taj, who I think is highly overlooked for 6th man of the year.
If Taj makes 2nd team all defense that adds 250k to his salary and if he makes 1st team they add another 250k.
Remember we paid the lux tax last year and the penalties are severe for repeat offenders.....for all the cheap talk we make the FO does actually spend money...wether its spent wisely it's another topic.

Jimmer Fredette is a Bull.
beat me to it. lol can't wait to see how thibs uses him. hopefully, he provides the 3 point shooting we still desperately need. sucks that he didn't get added options to his contract and will end up a free agent because with the way thibs develops guards, we all know jimmer is gonna do well and end up leaving as did nate and marco.

only jo
roll.gif
thought i was the only one who noticed this last night. lol obviously, it has blown up but it had me laughing for a good minute.

Jimmer is gonna help us off the bench. He should get a big ovation when he hits the floor for the first time. I'm excited for the game, then the Oscars tonight! Letsssssssssssssssss go. One game closer to D.Rose coming back!!

Back
Top Bottom