Buick Grand National Making a Comeback

I know the old school Buick's get a lot of love from some NT members and the Grand National has a pretty big following, not to mention they were made in limited numbers so they're basically collector cars now. Looks like Buick is bringing them back as well as the GNX. Would be nice if they kept it a two door but overall design is pretty nice, not to mention the motors.
View media item 149462
View media item 149463

Buick is bringing back the Grand National, the GNX and the T-Type, three legendary performance nameplates from the brand's high times of the 1980s. All three cars will be sedans and they'll use GM's new rear-wheel-drive Alpha platform first introduced in the Cadillac ATS sedan.

That's the plan anyway, according to a reliable source who spoke to Edmunds.

As in the 1980s, the T-Type and Grand National will share powertrains and suspension calibrations, but the T-Type will be offered in a full color palette, while the GN will come in black only. Details on the exact drivetrain that will be used are still hard to come by at this point.

Buick's current turbocharged 2.0-liter has the right vibe but lacks the muscle, and the normally aspirated V6 has the guts but just doesn't feel right for these nameplates. A more likely scenario is the use of GM's long-rumored, and recently spotted, twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter V6. It's expected to produce between 350 and 400 horsepower, which would be more than enough power in a bad black Buick with a Grand National badge.

So what's left for the legendary GNX nameplate? How about GM's new LT1 V8? We've already confirmed that a V8 will fit in the confines of the Alpha platform, so it's not an issue of "if" it can be done, but one of "how" it will be done.

With a V-Series version of the Cadillac ATS almost certainly in the pipeline, a Buick version with a slightly less powerful V8 could be the ticket for the GNX. A six-speed manual transmission and six-speed automatic could be available in all three sedans.

Buick will also make changes to the sedan's interior and exterior to bring it into the Buick family. The size of the sedan should remain unchanged, however, (the Cadillac ATS is exactly the same size as a BMW 3 Series) and all of its subsystems such as steering, brakes and suspension will be shared with the ATS.

For those born after the Reagan administration, the Buick Regal T-Type, Grand National and GNX were essentially the quickest cars you could buy in 1986 and '87. They were powered by turbocharged versions of Buick's 3.8-liter V6 and they instantly became legends on the street and on every drag strip in America. Today these Buicks are highly valued collector cars, with prices topping out at $100,000 for one of the 547 GNXs that GM built in 1987.

Last edited:
I think this has some potential.

Anybody see either of these challenging chargers and 'maros?
Edit: Assuming they were priced right.

Last edited:
How much are we talking here?

And I wish someone would bring the Pontiac G8 and Grand Prix back. :smh:

So am I the only one that sees an e60 every time they see a lacrosse?

Still :pimp: doe

I think this has some potential.
Anybody see either of these challenging chargers and 'maros?
Edit: Assuming they were priced right.

If it's priced right i can see it competing with the Charger, since it's a four door people that are shopping for a Charger can cross shop with this. GM won't make it compete with it's own CTS-V so i think they can price it to be pretty competitive.

If Pontiac makes a comeback the first thing that needs to be assembled is the Trans AM/Firebird.

Buick on the other hand needs to bring out the Skylark. Have that compete with the Charger again.

eyes.gif

At this point Ill believe it when I see it. There have been rumors of the GN/GNX returning since 2004. First it was going to be built on the same zeta platform as the GTO, then cts knockoff sigma... then back to a Camaro inspired zeta. Within the last 2 year there was lots of speculation GM would re-release the nameplate on the FWD epsilon but we only got a watered down ttype.

I really hope they keep true to the cars heritage and make all models a turbo6. A v8 GNX just wouldnt sit well with me (and most anyone else that loves TBs) regardless of how good its performance is :smh: .

So... while on topic... Can anyone navigate me to a website I can still buy this tshirt at ? Ive found it a few places but its always sold out.

View media item 143697

With a Camaro SS running about 35k and the CTS V a little over 60k I would expect a price around 42-55k depending on trim level. But this is all speculation considering the cars specs havent even been confirmed lol :lol:

Grand Prix? eww no
G8? hell yes

The G8 is coming back (sorta).

The same platform/drivetrain/transmission will be used in the 2013 Chevrolet Caprice, which will be police-only.
They will then release to public in late 2013/2014 as the 2014 Chevrolet SS. I've seen pics of the blacked out SS, very mid 90's Impala-ish, very promising.

Shoulda left the GNX and Grand National 2 door. Would have copped possibly. Guess I'll stick to my Camaro.

whoa :wow: that looks :pimp:

looks like a mercedes/maserati cross over

the sides look too plain and boring though they need to do something with that make it look a little sportier or something

Last edited:
:wow:
It's the new Chevy Impala rebaged.
The new Grand national could be to Buick what the modern day Charger is to Dodge.
This could be epic if the Buick Boys do this correctly

Last edited:
Until I'm old, I'll probably always think of Buicks as old folk's cars but damn if they haven't radically improved their cars' body styles at least.

Back
Top Bottom