Brace for $5 gas, Shell exec warns U.S.

Originally Posted by MARTIN AND CO

A lot of pseudo-intellectual discourse in here by people who clearly have no idea what they're talking about. Quoting a rolling stones article nor getting a degree in economics provides you with credentials. Economists have contributed absolutely nothing to the American colossus, other than their ability to prolong problems.

The idea that "Homestead Act" style legislation is a good idea is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Why not just just adapt the former Soviet Union's constitution as our own? This is coming from someone that supports "socialized medicine", provided the top tier of the business that provides the innovation that leads the U.S. in medical patents is free to profit.

My take (if anyone cares):

The man warning of $5 gas is the same man who's pension is directly tied to the success of his former employer. His employment history makes him the opposite of credible in these matters; this is just fear mongering with clear intentions.

Drilling in the U.S., which I do support provided ultra-strict regulation and oversight of drilling procedures are in place, would do absolutely nothing for the price of oil. I honestly have no idea why people think it would, aside from ignorance of commodity markets.

U.S. oil producers sell at the same exchanges and market rates as everyone else in the world. They have no interest in selling oil to anyone at subsidized rates if they can get market rates (which they can and do), and higher prices only result in better margins for them, as exploration and extraction costs have fallen dramatically in the past 10 years. The U.S. is only one of many, many, countries that produces oil; we are no longer market makers. There is really no amount of oil we could produce that would have any impact on market prices.
indeed.  
Our economies are not as simple as supply and demand driven policies like people are making out. That would make our systems truly fair and just which is not the case. There are other factors in the equation besides giving people what they demand to get by. The interest of big business which knows no country boundaries our loyalty. 

In the midst of what has been called one of the world's greatest bio disasters ( gulf oil spill), we've got to know that something about the marriage of economy to oil is on a slope down

A lot of pseudo-intellectual discourse in here by people who clearly have no idea what they're talking about. Quoting a rolling stones article nor getting a degree in economics provides you with credentials. Economists have contributed absolutely nothing to the American colossus, other than their ability to prolong problems.

The idea that "Homestead Act" style legislation is a good idea is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Why not just just adapt the former Soviet Union's constitution as our own? This is coming from someone that supports "socialized medicine", provided the top tier of the business that provides the innovation that leads the U.S. in medical patents is free to profit.

My take (if anyone cares):

The man warning of $5 gas is the same man who's pension is directly tied to the success of his former employer. His employment history makes him the opposite of credible in these matters; this is just fear mongering with clear intentions.

Drilling in the U.S., which I do support provided ultra-strict regulation and oversight of drilling procedures are in place, would do absolutely nothing for the price of oil. I honestly have no idea why people think it would, aside from ignorance of commodity markets.

U.S. oil producers sell at the same exchanges and market rates as everyone else in the world. They have no interest in selling oil to anyone at subsidized rates if they can get market rates (which they can and do), and higher prices only result in better margins for them, as exploration and extraction costs have fallen dramatically in the past 10 years. The U.S. is only one of many, many, countries that produces oil; we are no longer market makers. There is really no amount of oil we could produce that would have any impact on market prices.
indeed.  
Our economies are not as simple as supply and demand driven policies like people are making out. That would make our systems truly fair and just which is not the case. There are other factors in the equation besides giving people what they demand to get by. The interest of big business which knows no country boundaries our loyalty. 

In the midst of what has been called one of the world's greatest bio disasters ( gulf oil spill), we've got to know that something about the marriage of economy to oil is on a slope down

I love the fact that you tried to disrespect everyone else who posted here... yet reiterated the exact same points re: oil prices & domestic production, etc. You called out other people's credentials, yet supplied none of your own.  Quality work.
And the Homestead Act being a SOVIET thing? Wow.

bike in nyc is wild though.....

Most cities in the US are pretty poor when it comes to bike friendliness, especially when compared to places like Berlinor Copenhagen, where, according to the OECD, over 34% of people ride bicycles to work.

I'm sure these days a lot of people would love to see bicycle commuting as a viable option, but we're truly behind (if not backward) in that regard.

Have you ever seen this automated bike parking garage in Edogawa?

I love the fact that you tried to disrespect everyone else who posted here... yet reiterated the exact same points re: oil prices & domestic production, etc. You called out other people's credentials, yet supplied none of your own.  Quality work.
And the Homestead Act being a SOVIET thing? Wow.

Most cities in the US are pretty poor when it comes to bike friendliness, especially when compared to places like Berlinor Copenhagen, where, according to the OECD, over 34% of people ride bicycles to work.

I'm sure these days a lot of people would love to see bicycle commuting as a viable option, but we're truly behind (if not backward) in that regard.

Have you ever seen this automated bike parking garage in Edogawa?

Part of the biking aspect is the way the US grew it's communities. Sprawling suburbs away from city centers where most of the jobs are located make you rely on public transportation (which also doesn't have a great infrarstructure in major cities) or cars.

Part of the biking aspect is the way the US grew it's communities. Sprawling suburbs away from city centers where most of the jobs are located make you rely on public transportation (which also doesn't have a great infrarstructure in major cities) or cars.

The america was designed to be a nation of drivers. Cities were planned withthe intent economy benefiting from automotive industries and sub industries.

The america was designed to be a nation of drivers. Cities were planned withthe intent economy benefiting from automotive industries and sub industries.

Originally Posted by moneymike88

Originally Posted by BostonThreeParty

is there some way i could buy mass quantites of Gas now, at say $3.25/Gallon, then sell it when the Avg actually is at $5 gallon for round $4.75?
The burden would outweigh the benefit. You would have to stockpile large amounts to turn a decent profit.
If i had the money, as in millions of dollars sitting around, i would assume i could afford a mass storage area, so it seems possible. 

Originally Posted by moneymike88

Originally Posted by BostonThreeParty

is there some way i could buy mass quantites of Gas now, at say $3.25/Gallon, then sell it when the Avg actually is at $5 gallon for round $4.75?
The burden would outweigh the benefit. You would have to stockpile large amounts to turn a decent profit.
If i had the money, as in millions of dollars sitting around, i would assume i could afford a mass storage area, so it seems possible. 

Originally Posted by Method Man

I love the fact that you tried to disrespect everyone else who posted here... yet reiterated the exact same points re: oil prices & domestic production, etc. You called out other people's credentials, yet supplied none of your own. �Quality work.
And the Homestead Act being a SOVIET thing? �Wow. �

Most cities in the US are pretty poor when it comes to bike friendliness, especially when compared to places like Berlin�or Copenhagen, where, according to the OECD, over 34% of people ride bicycles to work.�

Have you ever seen this automated bike parking garage in Edogawa?�

Not everyone; I said a lot, not all.�
Very little was reiterated, as the general consensus in the thread is that domestic production will somehow decrease the price of oil, whereas I stated increasing domestic production would make no difference.�

I need not provide any credentials, as I do not present myself as any kind of authority. I clearly stated I am only presenting my take on the subject(s) at hand for anyone who would care to read it. �

You know full well I did not mean the Homestead act was a "soviet" thing; you're smarter than that. What you discussed is the government taking part in something that is by every definition communism, and if it where to do that, what would the implication be on.....everything? Would supply of housing and construction be controlled by the government like in the former Soviet Union? You clearly see housing as some sort of right, so if the government were to "nationalize" it, I guess you think they should also nationalize the production and distribution of food? What then, private industry?�

I like the idea of biking but we don't really have the�infrastructure�for it in most of the big cities. Europe was a pile of rubble, so they had the�opportunity to integrate�bicycle�infrastructure�into their cities when they were rebuilding. Also, the biking culture is totally different in the US than in Europe, partly because of the lack of� the historical lack of biking infrastructure domestically. Theres a reason why both motorists and�pedestrians�alike dislike bicyclists as a whole; many of them are incredibly rude and totally ignorant of their surroundings. I can't count the number of times I've almost been hit by a bicycle as a pedestrian (or seen it almost happen, or happen, to someone else), and the number of times bicycles have held up traffic and/or damaged automobiles in front of my eyes rivals that.� In Europe there are bad apples, but bicyclists are generally much more polite and observant of others. 

Edit: what are all these question mark symbols?

Originally Posted by Method Man

I love the fact that you tried to disrespect everyone else who posted here... yet reiterated the exact same points re: oil prices & domestic production, etc. You called out other people's credentials, yet supplied none of your own. �Quality work.
And the Homestead Act being a SOVIET thing? �Wow. �

Most cities in the US are pretty poor when it comes to bike friendliness, especially when compared to places like Berlin�or Copenhagen, where, according to the OECD, over 34% of people ride bicycles to work.�

Have you ever seen this automated bike parking garage in Edogawa?�

Not everyone; I said a lot, not all.�
Very little was reiterated, as the general consensus in the thread is that domestic production will somehow decrease the price of oil, whereas I stated increasing domestic production would make no difference.�

I need not provide any credentials, as I do not present myself as any kind of authority. I clearly stated I am only presenting my take on the subject(s) at hand for anyone who would care to read it. �

You know full well I did not mean the Homestead act was a "soviet" thing; you're smarter than that. What you discussed is the government taking part in something that is by every definition communism, and if it where to do that, what would the implication be on.....everything? Would supply of housing and construction be controlled by the government like in the former Soviet Union? You clearly see housing as some sort of right, so if the government were to "nationalize" it, I guess you think they should also nationalize the production and distribution of food? What then, private industry?�

I like the idea of biking but we don't really have the�infrastructure�for it in most of the big cities. Europe was a pile of rubble, so they had the�opportunity to integrate�bicycle�infrastructure�into their cities when they were rebuilding. Also, the biking culture is totally different in the US than in Europe, partly because of the lack of� the historical lack of biking infrastructure domestically. Theres a reason why both motorists and�pedestrians�alike dislike bicyclists as a whole; many of them are incredibly rude and totally ignorant of their surroundings. I can't count the number of times I've almost been hit by a bicycle as a pedestrian (or seen it almost happen, or happen, to someone else), and the number of times bicycles have held up traffic and/or damaged automobiles in front of my eyes rivals that.� In Europe there are bad apples, but bicyclists are generally much more polite and observant of others. 

Edit: what are all these question mark symbols?

Whoever said that this is fear mongering is as dumb as rocks . 6 dollar gasoline is in our future . Sooner than later too

Whoever said that this is fear mongering is as dumb as rocks . 6 dollar gasoline is in our future . Sooner than later too

I was pumpin' 3.39 over at some other city cause I had no gas to get home.. and when I get home gas is only 3.25 
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom