Boardwalk Empire Season 3 Thread - "Margate Sands" SEASON FINALE

Really good episode, I like how ever since the finale of the 1st season (Jimmy and Al doin work) you know its about to go down when you hear those drums...

Definitely saw a bit of irony from episode10 with the opening scene where the alcohol washes ashore and Poseidon (King) ends up going out to retrieve some of the bottles.  Now Nucky doesn't go fishing for the liquor, but this strongly mirrors the opening credit montage to the show where alcohol is washed ashore.  Nucky is walking away from the city to the ocean where the liquor is being washed ashore, only to smoke a cigarette (shows his footprints) and walk right back into AC.  Hence this recent episode were he tells Chalky there's no way he's giving Atlantic City up and plans to take it back.

I really feel that Willie Thompson may have a bigger role next season after the dialogue in this episode and how his character has developed with Eli away.....if true, I wonder if Eli is on the clock then
nerd.gif
 as has been mentioned

I always thought that Buscemi would never make a good mobster and also when you envision a big time gangster you think of some big jacked crazy person. Well at least I do. This season however Buscemi portrays Nucky Thompson perfectly, he's frail and very thin and this frame makes it seem like he's even more vulnerable to the situation he is currently in.

The biggest thing I noticed this past episode was the difference between Chalky and Nucky. Nucky always has cared for himself and put business first and himself before his family (up until Nucky went outside to protect his nephew). Chalky however embraces his future son and when Eddie was hurt he asked Nucky if he had any family where as Nucky didn't know the answer. Right there and then I could tell Chalky wasn't going to screw over Nucky because Chalky is about family and loyalty.

One of the best scenes IMO is when Richard brings Mickey Doyle into Nucky's office and they discuss what happened about Manny and Jimmy.

Finally watched episode 11.

One Word: EPIC. :pimp:

I rewound the final scene with Capone dropping that gem about a dozen times. :lol:

That's what a mob boss should sound like. :pimp:

Hope my dude Kessler pulls through. Nucky need a loyal dude like that in his circle.

I'm both excited and anxious for the season finale.

All signs point to a major character (aside from Gyp) meeting their demise. Really hope it isn't someone like Harrow or Chalky.

These writers are amazing. The show is immaculately plotted. After killing off everyone's favorite character last season they knew they had to go all in (word to Rothstein) so that people wouldn't stop watching. They did not disappoint.

I am also concurrently re watching The Wire on HBOgo. Lots of similarities in the seasons.

Season 1- Intro of characters. How the product gets sold.
Season 2- How the work comes in. Prior seasons main character gets killed. He's a family member of the boss/killed by the boss
Season 3- All out war.
Season 4 prediction- How the youth gets introduced (or dragged) into the game. Eli will die in the next episode (his story is done) but Eli's son will have a much bigger role going next season. That scene where Nucky leaves the warehouse gun drawn saying "Thats my nephew!" was the first time Nucky demonstrated that he cared about someone other than himself.

Gillian seemed real concerned when Gyp told her Nucky was gone. Nucky def tapped that back in her showgirls, ala Lucy and new chick from this season. Wonder who she'll side with. I predict Gyp gets killed while smashing her.
No doubt about it.

Jimmy aside there was something between them. If I remember right he was the one sneaking her to the commodore.

Finally watched episode 11.

One Word: EPIC. :pimp:

I rewound the final scene with Capone dropping that gem about a dozen times. :lol:

That's what a mob boss should sound like. :pimp:

Hope my dude Kessler pulls through. Nucky need a loyal dude like that in his circle.

I'm both excited and anxious for the season finale.

All signs point to a major character (aside from Gyp) meeting their demise. Really hope it isn't someone like Harrow or Chalky.

Dude said it so nonchalantly and cocky, like it was already a done deal.

The actor playing Capone is a perfect fit.

When I first saw Boardwalk and he appeared I said "There's no way that's Tommy... nope, can't be"

Some of you still miss Jimmy?

Aside from these last 2 episodes, this season has been horrible.
It's not the fact that I miss Jimmy's character, it's more or less how much more his story brought to the show.
That left a huge void in the show that they never really filled.

Easy mental fix for those who can't get their minds off/forget, God only knows why, Jimmy, is to close your eyes and picture Jimmy...giving it to his mother. No, no, don't let your mind stop at the initial stroke. Keep picturing it, constantly grasping at the detail that he's putting that work into his mother. Don't let up and continue picturing it until Jimmy releases his seed into the womb he once grew in.

Done? Now don't you feel disgusted?

You're welcome, you won't be thinking of Jimmy no more, you're mind won't let you go thru that trauma again.

LOL
Maybe some of you guys only remember the incestious relationship he had with his mother,
And thats totally withing your rights, but his role on the show was just as big as Nucky.

His story was that of a young man coming into power and seeing the adverse effect it
Had on him after he basically tried to kill his only father figure in his life. His time with Capone
in Chicago showed he was really coming up making it.

After his failed attempt to kill Nucky there was just no way his character could go on, but they certainly couldve done a better job filling in that void. Maybe im just not as amused or enetertained by Gyps over the top rage tantrums or the ongoing love saga of Owen and Margaret.
They really didn't give us any Chalky, Capone, or even Harrow story till the end. All I saw was a bunch of Van alden, margaret, owen, and that mr. Means.

But hey to each their own, and given by JNSQs train of thought some of you mightve really gotten traumatized by this.

Aside from these last 2 episodes, this season has been horrible.
It's not the fact that I miss Jimmy's character, it's more or less how much more his story brought to the show.
That left a huge void in the show that they never really filled.

It's way too early to be reading nonsense like this :lol: .

I said it once Jimmy was offed: I was a fan of his character, but the show would most definitely move on. His time was up, he had to go.

It's way too early to be reading nonsense like this :lol: .
I said it once Jimmy was offed: I was a fan of his character, but the show would most definitely move on. His time was up, he had to go.

word, I don't miss jimmy at all. He was a great character and wonderfully acted but the show must go on.

I hope we get to see Van Alden in this finale :smokin

I see Jimmy as a Bodie, great character but there's no way he could go on in the series. Finally caught ep 10 and 11 and the series finale is going to be epic.

I was wondering when Owen was going to get offed, he been actin too risky w/ Margaret. I also cant really see how her character can survive the pregnancy and disloyalty to Nucky

I hope Harrow survives this finale, and if he doesn't, hope he kills somebody important

can't believe that Tommy from Snatch is Capone. Wow! As you guys have mentioned, amazing episode.
I also hope Gyp makes it outta the season. DON'T KILL OFF HARROW HBO!

Yes, I still miss Jimmy.

But I don't think the show has missed a beat without him. His story was definitely told, but Michael Pitt made the show killer, not that Cannavale hasn't done a great job as Gyp (he's owned the role) - but we were given Jimmy from the start and gotten to sympathize with him and his troubles that it was hard for a character like him to be gone so soon.

He was an engaging character and I personally cared more about his ******** problems than I do of Nucky's :lol:

Last edited:
LOL
Maybe some of you guys only remember the incestious relationship he had with his mother,
And thats totally withing your rights, but his role on the show was just as big as Nucky.
His story was that of a young man coming into power and seeing the adverse effect it
Had on him after he basically tried to kill his only father figure in his life. His time with Capone
in Chicago showed he was really coming up making it.
After his failed attempt to kill Nucky there was just no way his character could go on, but they certainly couldve done a better job filling in that void. Maybe im just not as amused or enetertained by Gyps over the top rage tantrums or the ongoing love saga of Owen and Margaret.
They really didn't give us any Chalky, Capone, or even Harrow story till the end. All I saw was a bunch of Van alden, margaret, owen, and that mr. Means.
But hey to each their own, and given by JNSQs train of thought some of you mightve really gotten traumatized by this.
I remember everything about dude. Love the character but I never created some huge potential for him in my head and projected that on the show when it was just something I hoped for.

His story had more to do with a young man coming in to power but not really knowing what he wanted. The revelation that he banged his mom seems to be the cruz for while he's so lost and unsure of himself. It's like he didn't know or didn't acknowledge that he'd be best as a right hand man. So instead of proving to Nuck he can be that after Nuck didn't believe in him at first he should've tried harder. We went half *** in a role he thought he wanted, didn't even like it once he got it, then it crumbled around him, then he went full circle and made it right for the man he should've never betrayed to begin with. To me he's the story of a lost young man trying to find his place in the world. Really looking at his life it was filled with fail and things he just couldn't fix. Wife problems, mother issues, overall family conflict, no goals in his career. He really wanted a peaceful life so he could be comfortable but his ego wasn't satisfied with that job Nucky initially offered him.

After squaring away his debts and making it right there was nothing left but for Nuck to kill him (imo Nuck should've killed his bro to if that counts for anything). In the end Jimmy showed Nuck at the very least he's a threat to him since he's younger and smart. He dug his own grave.

As far as this season, Gyp has been great and menacing. Not enough Chalky but he's been set for seasons to come imo. Everything else is opinion since some ppl don't like certain characters or dismiss eps where character development is the main focus. This show is about Nuck, not Jimmy. Jimmy only got so much focus cuz it wasn't just about buildinig him as an antagonist but to show how broke a character he was and how he was ****** on his path.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom